As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Kingdom Hearts] Melody of Melancholy

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    I always felt that KH1 Sora was just too young to really understand romance. I'm not entirely sure how old Sora is anymore. As far as Sora be aro, I don't think he is and I don't think that's what the writers were going for (otherwise Kairi wouldn't exist).

Granted, until the games say otherwise your interpretation is as valid as mine.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Sanctuary
    LD50 wrote: »
    I always felt that KH1 Sora was just too young to really understand romance. I'm not entirely sure how old Sora is anymore. As far as Sora be aro, I don't think he is and I don't think that's what the writers were going for (otherwise Kairi wouldn't exist).

Granted, until the games say otherwise your interpretation is as valid as mine.

He was 14 in KH1 supposedly.

So not quite that young.

Also Aqua last is also kinda a thing because it flows better into the final+secret chapters that way.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Ok hold up.

Aint no way in hell KH1 Sora is 14.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    So he's what, 30 now?

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Sanctuary
    LD50 wrote: »
    So he's what, 30 now?

14 in kh1, 15 in kh2, 16-17 for kh3 according to the wiki.

BBS thing below.
    If there are 10 years between BBS and KH1 then it kinda makes sense see we see him in BBS and he can't be much younger than 4 there.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    It's anime, so 15 is factually too old to be saving the world. Because KH2 starts a year after CoM and an indeterminate amount of time after KH1, he had to have started around 11 or at most 12 in KH1.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    Donnicton wrote: »
    It's anime, so 15 is factually too old to be saving the world. Because KH2 starts a year after CoM and an indeterminate amount of time after KH1, he had to have started around 11 or at most 12 in KH1.
    That would make him 1 or 2 in BBS so that doesn't work.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    People hit puberty differently. Some 14 years still look like little kids. Some start looking like teenagers. It's a weird ass time for humans.

Also this is kingdom hearts so the logic doesn't matter but the timeline says he can't possibly be any younger than maybe 13 but probably around 14 and heck who knows when is bday is maybe he has a bday mid game and just doesn't know.

• Options
    Simple & Clean

psst

is not serious answer

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Sanctuary
    Also, according to 3D:
    Time flows differently in different worlds, so who fucking knows how old he is at this point, given that he's spent a literal year in a bubble in Castle Oblivion, plus who knows how long everywhere else.

In any case, I think the lack of a romantic interest expressed by Sora was meant to express the time period where you haven't grown up quite as much as your older friends and the nature of your relationship is changing but you don't know why.

LD50 on
  • Options
    Sanctuary

psst

is not serious answer

It's hard to keep track when talking about these games.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    wait a second.

How old is Aqua during BBS? Is she like 30 now?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    wait a second.

Man, time is so devoid of meaning in the realm of darkness that you can turn back time by moving the hands of a clock.

I doubt anyone knows how old Aqua is, least of all her.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    wait a second.

Like enlong said, time funkiness in world of darkness.

That said she looks old enough that she could pass for 30 in 0.2

But it's also a jurp so they will certainly find whatever way to claim she's younger that they can.

• Options
    Simple & Clean
    But it's also a jurp so they will certainly find whatever way to claim she's younger that they can.

I guarantee the throwaway line in DDD is meant to justify this excuse.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I liked how Final Fantasy VI let you have characters as old as 50 and 70 in the party. With only about 4 or 5 of them younger than 18.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    wait what. lemme look at those ages

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Sanctuary
    boy it would've been nice if the worlds had different combat levels for Sora and Riku so you didn't have to have both of them go to the same ones in the same order

I thought "oh I'll swap the orders so they only meet in the middle" and sent Sora to Notre Dame and Riku to the Geid and that was a BAD IDEA

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    I always pictured the cast as 20ish somethings. After FF8 I figured they were a bunch of teens but I'm surprised that they skew a bit into young adults. Shit I wonder what's the average age of all the FF casts.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    How long is a single BBS playthrough of one character?

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    rhylith wrote: »

~10 hours on normal

Shorter if you play beginner, I'm just about to 8 on my second character and at the last world

• Options
    Sanctuary
    Yea I just watched a streamer playthrough on Proud and even with playing the boardgame a whole bunch of times his timers were like 12 hours, 11 hours and 8 hours. And then however long the extra 2 chapters after that are.

• Options
    Sanctuary

~10 hours on normal

Shorter if you play beginner, I'm just about to 8 on my second character and at the last world

if you did it like me skipping cutscenes like a mad man it's even less like 3-4 hours.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Sanctuary
    I think like half of my BBS time was just playing that board game to get my skills looking the way I liked.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    I think half of mine was too. I really liked the game though.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    do I need to have a Dream Eater in my party to use the abilities I've unlocked from them, or are those permanent?

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Mr. G wrote: »
    do I need to have a Dream Eater in my party to use the abilities I've unlocked from them, or are those permanent?

Skills, like Once More or Fire, are permanent. Stat boosts, like HP plus or STR plus, are tied to that eater, you need that eater in your party to use.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Simple & Clean

~10 hours on normal

if you did it like me skipping cutscenes like a mad man it's even less like 3-4 hours.

That feels like it defeats the purpose of playing the game.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    I will say the bits of Xehanort stuff in Dream Drop Distance between each world seems pretty vital to getting my head straight for 3

all the Disney retread stuff however seems like it could be skipped with reckless abandon, the only problem being you never know when Anime is gonna show up

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    I will say the bits of Xehanort stuff in Dream Drop Distance between each world seems pretty vital to getting my head straight for 3

all the Disney retread stuff however seems like it could be skipped with reckless abandon, the only problem being you never know when Anime is gonna show up

I am nearly finished with DDD and I have less of an idea of whats going on than I did before I started playing this game.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Sanctuary
    In watching this playthrough I have been understanding everything so much more and and getting so much more hyped. It helps seeing each game one after the other. Next up is DDD so I can't wait to see that again (plus it's the streamers first time for that which should be cool).

And then just like smaller things that I just never put together before like why Sora and Roxas both can dual wield keyblades. Like it's so obvious now but there's all sorts of cool little touches like that that had never really occurred to me before and ohmygod I just love these stupid games so much.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Sanctuary

~10 hours on normal

That feels like it defeats the purpose of playing the game.

well...if you're only in for the excellent combat system?

• Options
    Sanctuary
    I've never actually watched the movie and this is probably the actual worst way to get the story, but Tron Legacy seems...stupid

taking the original movie's fun 80s cyberspace vibe and turning it into a Jared Leto in Blade Runner 2049 "tech as religion" thing is so not interesting to me

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    I've never actually watched the movie and this is probably the actual worst way to get the story, but Tron Legacy seems...stupid

taking the original movie's fun 80s cyberspace vibe and turning it into a Jared Leto in Blade Runner 2049 "tech as religion" thing is so not interesting to me

Well... at least the soundtrack was good?

• Options
    Sanctuary
    the soundtrack was REALLY good.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Tron Legacy is a creation myth with a Daft Punk soundtrack, and I love it to pieces

• Options
    Simple & Clean
    Piotyr wrote: »

Skills, like Once More or Fire, are permanent. Stat boosts, like HP plus or STR plus, are tied to that eater, you need that eater in your party to use.

Though the spirits that have those skills are also typically really really good just to keep on in general, like R&R Seal.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    I would very badly like to know exactly what transpired that led Jason Alexander to say "sure I'll reprise the role I last did 16 years ago for seven lines in a video game, I was a part of one of the most popular pieces of media in the 1990s, but I'll do seven lines in a video game"

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    All manifestations of Disney's Hunchback are accursed, regardless of format. It's likely that Jason Alexander has no choice, if he wants the Actual Devil to return the puzzle box that has his beating heart inside of it.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan