As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Kingdom Hearts] Melody of Melancholy

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    I'm debating playing BBS before KH3 or if I should just dive on into the crazy only having played 1, CoM, and 2.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    But Xehanort is a more evil sounding name! He has to be the one who's the bad guy!

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    "Ansem" was a perfectly fine Ultimate Evil name and they had Billy goddamned Zane voicing him, hamming it the fuck up

Seriously, when was the last time you heard his performance?

I desperately wish I could see booth footage of him recording it, he's like choking on spittle as he shouts his lines and it's great

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    Madican wrote: »
    I'm debating playing BBS before KH3 or if I should just dive on into the crazy only having played 1, CoM, and 2.

You should experience BBS and DDD somehow. Whether that's playing them, or watching a compilation/LP. BBS sets up and explains the main series big bad, and DDD sets the stage for KH3 like CoM set it for KH2.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    Mr. G wrote: »
    "Ansem" was a perfectly fine Ultimate Evil name and they had Billy goddamned Zane voicing him, hamming it the fuck up

Seriously, when was the last time you heard his performance?

I desperately wish I could see booth footage of him recording it, he's like choking on spittle as he shouts his lines and it's great

It's a shame they couldn't get him back, or Lee back for any of Ansem's non-KH2 appearances.

I think their replacement voice actors both do a fine job but it's not the same.

Ditto for Nimoy as Xehanort. He's clearly having so much fun chewing the scenery in BBS and DDD, it's gonna e a bummer not hearing him in KH3.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    The most fucked part is that in KH3D
    You've got Xehanort's Heartless constantly pestering Riku, who calls him Ansem, then you've got Xehanort's Nobody pestering Sora, who calls him Xemnas

it's the same fucking guy

• Options
    Sanctuary
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPgKe8IqgXw
    Listen to this shit

I would give anything to see Billy Zane recording that pained "light," the most capital-A Acting anyone has ever done in this entire series

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    Javen wrote: »
    The most fucked part is that in KH3D
    You've got Xehanort's Heartless constantly pestering Riku, who calls him Ansem, then you've got Xehanort's Nobody pestering Sora, who calls him Xemnas

it's the same fucking guy

Don't forget
    at the same time you also have baby Xehanort pestering them.

And then old Xehanort, baby Xehanort, "Ansem", and Xemnas all in the same room at the same time at the end. And Isa and Braig are there and they are also Xehanort, kind of. While Xehanort is trying to make Sora Xehanort.

I love this dumb fucking series.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    I genuinely love that the villains of KH3 are going to be
    literally a time-traveling legion of doom comprised of every version of Xehanort

• Options
    Sanctuary
    Another thing I enjoy is nobody in this series stays dead if people like them
    Maleficent immediately comes back in KH2, Ansem has come back twice now, Xehanort reemerges, I'm sure Terra will be back, Axel turns back into a human and joins Team Good Guys just cause he's popular

I'm sure they'll find a way to bring back Roxas too

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Maleficent immediately comes back in KH2, Ansem has come back twice now, Xehanort reemerges, I'm sure Terra will be back, Axel turns back into a human and joins Team Good Guys just cause he's popular

Allow me to be very clear on that last part: they fuckin better find a way

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean

but goofy didn't stay dead

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Sanctuary
    The ending of Coded, the secret ending of BBS, and DDD all together heavily imply
    EVERYONE will be back. Terra, Ven, Aqua, Roxas, Namine, Xion. Sora and the gang will save them all.

And then hopefully we get everyone vs. Xehanorts.

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    KH3 will end with every heroic character that has ever existed rushing the bad guys in a huge keyblade clusterfuck

A keylusterfuck, if you will

• Options
    Sanctuary

but goofy didn't stay dead

Unfortunately Goofy is protected by the power of nostalgia for A Goofy Movie

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Javen wrote: »
    Is Hikaru Utada like a big star in Japan or something?

I do find it weird that the spinoffs don't bother to get a new song made and just...reuse one of the two

Chain of Memories and Birth By Sleep use Simple & Clean, 358 Days uses Sanctuary

She wanted to do music for the others, but she also wanted more money since the series had gotten way more popular by that point, and Disney said no. This is just conjecture, but I also wouldn't be surprised if there was some quarrel related to residuals on copies sold, since the game industry really sucks about paying its talent.

Square/Disney did their best to fuck her over.

They have since made amends both monetarily and relationship wise, and she's confirmed that she's doing the KH3 theme.

She doesn't get ENOUGH credit really. She does her themes in both japanese and english with no dip in the quality of the performance.

Giver her all the dollars.

For her KH themes, yeah, those are beyond great. And even some of the stuff she came out with around KH1's time... but "Exodus" and "This is the one"? Ugh. No good.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Simple & Clean
    The name fuckery is good, actually

Of course the evil sorcerer would hide his true name, and steal his rival's

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    The name fuckery is good, actually

Of course the evil sorcerer would hide his true name, and steal his rival's

It does give the amnesiac Xehanort this interesting little character direction. He hates Ansem; thinks he's a moral coward who's holding him back. I can totally believe he'd be all "you don't deserve anything you have, not even your name!"
    KH3 will end with every heroic character that has ever existed rushing the bad guys in a huge keyblade clusterfuck

A keylusterfuck, if you will

I want to see Xehanort fulfill the prophecy as he read it and nearly win, gloating that the 7 lights couldn't defeat him. And then he hears a noise, and turns around just in time to see an army of Disney characters that Sora has befriended crest the hill and rush him.

I want to see Hercules punch Xehanort in the face.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    What if Sephiroth is also Xehanort

• Options
    replacewythyreplacewythy Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Stealing and erasing people's identities in various ways is all Xehanort does.

• Options
    Simple & Clean

What if everyone is Xehanort?

• Options
    Simple & Clean
    Madican wrote: »

What if everyone is Xehanort?
    I mean that's the ending of Dream Drop Distance

• Options
    Sanctuary
    One thing I like about KH2 that I totally forgot about is the reclaiming and reconstruction of Hollow Bastion

Be pretty cool if they call it Radiant Garden again in 3

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Simple & Clean
    Got the 1.5/2.5 HD game. I had previously gotten 2.8 due to a mixup on my part, and these stupid names being thrown out, which would have been a waste of money if I hadn't managed to take advantage of a trade-in deal to get more than what I paid.

This is the one I wanted to get in the first place. KH 1, 2, CoM, BBS, 358/2, and some CG stuff. That's a lot of game for $35.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean

Hm.

One might say the same of Sora.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Simple & Clean

Hm.

"The same could be said of all religions. But enough talk, have at you."

Madican on
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Hm.

Hasn't he actually created at least three new identities? Who haven't disappeared despite everyone else's best efforts.

Enlong on
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Sora wants to save people so much he unintentionally creates new people to save.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    That's Kingdom Hearts, everyone is either Sora or Xehanort.

• Options
    Simple & Clean
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    That's Kingdom Hearts, everyone is either Sora or Xehanort.

All You Heartless

• Options
    Simple & Clean

Hm.

That's all because of the manipulations of DiZ, which makes sense, because he's fallen into the darkness, which is why his name is Darkness in Zero

• Options
    I'm starting to think that maybe they should spend a bit more time making sure that their clever acronyms of English phrases actually make sense.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    Enlong wrote: »
    I'm starting to think that maybe they should spend a bit more time making sure that their clever acronyms of English phrases actually make sense.

Absolutely not

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Simple & Clean
    Kingdom Hearts is like Metal Gear. They're both completely insane and they often involve pseudo-philosophical rants from a bad guy who may or may not be a clone and keeps popping up because darkness/Metal Gear.

Madican on
  • Options
    "I live on in these eyeballs!"

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    so which specific birth by sleep is the title referring to, anyway

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Neveron wrote: »
    so which specific birth by sleep is the title referring to, anyway
    Sora being birthed from Ventus' damaged heart

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    It's also in reference to various people awaiting being freed from various sleeps.

But I guess Kingdom Hearts: FFS wouldn't sell as well.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    It's also in reference to various people awaiting being freed from various sleeps.

But I guess Kingdom Hearts: FFS wouldn't sell as well.

I woulda bought 2!

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    I'm not sure if I love or hate that the X-blade thing makes no sense (in reference to characters being confused by pronunciation of a word that sounds identical to Keyblade)

I think I love it

I wonder if in Japan they have different sounds?