The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Where to Eat at PAX West: Diners, Dungeons and Drive-ins

LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD?Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
edited August 15 in PAX West
Welp, for those us coming from out of town, a thread like this might be handy- where's some good spots to eat in the vicinity of PAX West?

My pin lanyard
PSN: L00nyEclip
Steam: Loony Eclipse
Twitter: @Loonyeclipse
LoonyEclipse on
gorgeousplanetRhea_starstormvespachica
«1

Posts

  • Mloftus677Mloftus677 Registered User regular
    I myself would love an updated list or any new suggestions.
    The old list is from 2015, so some of those places may not be open anyone or completely changed.

  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    How exactly does one east at West?

    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
    BLaZuRECrispy262LoonyEclipseIncreaseBlueSinoSamba
  • cursecurse Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    The Google doc is somewhat up to date. There's a lot of churn with places, I'll make an effort this week to update.

  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Gonna put in a strong recommendation for breakfast at Biscuit Bitch at least once over the weekend.

    It's usually crazy busy, but it's absolutely worth it.

    2cf4m6f.gif
    Headhunter
  • LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    whypick1 wrote: »
    How exactly does one east at West?

    I have no idea what you could be talking about *shifty eyes*

    My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse
    IncreaseBlue
  • RoundtopRoundtop Pathfinder Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    edited August 15
    whypick1 wrote: »
    How exactly does one east at West?

    Open mouth. Insert Mulan Szechuan Sauce. Swallow. then go to another dimension to eat where there aren't lines everywhere.

    Honestly, just go during times that nobody would normally go. There will still be waits, but not as bad. So Breakfast pre-9am, Lunch at 11am/2pm, Dinner at 4:30pm / 9pm.

    Also, if you are solo it is easier. For sit down restaurants, always try the bar. I got into Cheesecake Factory last year right away (1hr+ for regular table) because I was able to grab a bar stool (And you can eat in the bar).

    Oh, my little secret place: The Blue Water Taco Grill. They open super early (7am), and extended hours during PAX too (Normally only opens at 11 on sat and closed holidays. Last year they were open at 8am on Sun/Mon). Awesome place for breakfast. Almost no lines. http://www.bluewatertacogrill.com/

    Roundtop on
    IncreaseBlueRhea_starstorm
  • MajorMarmotMajorMarmot Victoria BCRegistered User regular
    Canadians must visit the Cheesecake Factory. That's a rule.

    HsJaJWx.png
    anettie76Headhunter
  • LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Canadians must visit the Cheesecake Factory. That's a rule.

    Been to the one in Boston at an East. It's typical chain resto fare to me.

    My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse
    IncreaseBlueBLaZuREhelen0rz
  • Spokane_SnowManSpokane_SnowMan Registered User regular
    Just stop in to get some Cheesecake carry out. Keylime cheesecake... :P

    MajorMarmot
  • sediroxsedirox Registered User regular
    Just stop in to get some Cheesecake carry out. Keylime cheesecake... :P

    My fave is the vanilla bean cheesecake. I add a vanilla shake with it if i'm feeling extra.

  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    I've been going to Prime/West for... seven years? And I have never set foot in that Cheesecake Factory.

    2cf4m6f.gif
    MadpoetLoonyEclipseDarkAonDruidsFlameKaollasu78Travman93
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited August 15
    There's just like SO MUCH good food around downtown, it's hard to go wrong. But if you're eating within three blocks of the con, be prepared for brutally long lines and waits. It's pretty easy to walk North a few blocks to Belltown or grab a quick bus ride to the International District (there's a new grilled cheese sandwich stall in the Uwajimaya food court, among other great options). If your quads are feeling strong, head up the hill toward Capitol Hill for literally hundreds of options within half a mile.

    For folks from areas that don't have happy hours, Seattle LOVES its happy hour. And it's usually not about the drinks - drink discounts are typically negligible (with a few exceptions here and there). But almost every restaurant does a happy hour with screamin' food deals and loads of small plates. It's a great way to eat out on the cheap, get to try some baller food, and snack your way through a large menu. They start any time between 3pm and last until 7pm, depending on the restaurant.

    Our local alt-lifestyle paper, The Stranger, has an app to help you find the happy hours happening around you: https://post.thestranger.com/seattle/special/cocktailcompass . It's not totally comprehensive (because restaurants have to submit their listings, which is free but still not everybody does it) but it's pretty goddamn handy.

    LexiconGrrl on
    Owner of and General Badass Chick at Seattle's best Distillery & Scandinavian Cafe Old Ballard Liquor Co.
    Spokane_SnowManIncreaseBlueRomanian My EscutcheonSinoSambasedirox
  • Spokane_SnowManSpokane_SnowMan Registered User regular
    (there's a new grilled cheese sandwich stall in the Uwajimaya food court, among other great options)
    This must be real new, wasn't there a couple months ago when I visited.

    And Uwajimaya is amazing. This will be my 7th PAX Prime/West and I only found out about that place on a trip earlier this year. I'm going to make sure the whole group I go with makes a stop there on the way out of town this year.

    Rhea_starstormTravman93
  • MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Registered User regular
    Top Pot. All day. Every day.

    Please doughnut responsibly.
    2877039-img_3132.jpg

    2967500-signature-1.png
    curseMajorMarmotzerzhulHeadhunterSlipstream.cc
  • divisiontendivisionten Registered User regular
    Marino wrote: »
    Top Pot. All day. Every day.

    Please doughnut responsibly.
    2877039-img_3132.jpg

    Dammit tag your PRON

  • MajorMarmotMajorMarmot Victoria BCRegistered User regular
    Marino wrote: »
    Top Pot. All day. Every day.

    Please doughnut responsibly.
    2877039-img_3132.jpg

    Definitely going to try that!

    HsJaJWx.png
  • cursecurse Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Since I hit Top Pot almost every week with my son, while I'm in the general area, going to try and grab an alternate doughnut from General Porpoise.

    Also, a Katsu Burger location opened on Capitol Hill this year. I usually go for a Katsu Curry burger or a Godzilla Attack, plus some Nori Fries and a Kinako/Black Sesame shake. You can order online for pickup so you can just grab and go.

    gorgeousplanetSutibunRiHeadhunterKaollasu78
  • IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    Can attest to the amazing pies at Via Tribunali, Pike Place Chowder and Blue Water Taco Grill.

    This year I want to finally try Piroshky, Piroshky but every time I've gone so far, the lines have been way too crazy.

    I also want to try Maneki but their hours don't really fit PAX schedule for me.

  • neo_blade01neo_blade01 Registered User regular
    They just opened up a new Kidd Valley down at the Waterfront, Pier 54 (right next to Ivar's Fish Bar). Excellent Seattle chain burgers and shakes. Don't forget to grab some garlic fries.

  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    There's just like SO MUCH good food around downtown, it's hard to go wrong. But if you're eating within three blocks of the con, be prepared for brutally long lines and waits. It's pretty easy to walk North a few blocks to Belltown or grab a quick bus ride to the International District (there's a new grilled cheese sandwich stall in the Uwajimaya food court, among other great options). If your quads are feeling strong, head up the hill toward Capitol Hill for literally hundreds of options within half a mile.

    For folks from areas that don't have happy hours, Seattle LOVES its happy hour. And it's usually not about the drinks - drink discounts are typically negligible (with a few exceptions here and there). But almost every restaurant does a happy hour with screamin' food deals and loads of small plates. It's a great way to eat out on the cheap, get to try some baller food, and snack your way through a large menu. They start any time between 3pm and last until 7pm, depending on the restaurant.

    Our local alt-lifestyle paper, The Stranger, has an app to help you find the happy hours happening around you: https://post.thestranger.com/seattle/special/cocktailcompass . It's not totally comprehensive (because restaurants have to submit their listings, which is free but still not everybody does it) but it's pretty goddamn handy.

    I'll second Cap Hill, but I would strongly suggest that if you're planning to put in a full day at the con, maybe consider grabbing a cab on the way up; the climb is no joke.

    2cf4m6f.gif
    LexiconGrrl
  • Rhea_starstormRhea_starstorm Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    My partner and I are keto. Any suggestions on places with good low carb/high fat/ protien options?

  • RoundtopRoundtop Pathfinder Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    My partner and I are keto. Any suggestions on places with good low carb/high fat/ protien options?

    Well, a bit more expensive, but here; http://www.seattlegrillfromipanema.com/
    Brazillian Steakhouse. All you can eat awesome bbq meat, and a "salad bar' which has a ton of options.

    Very few cabs found there, and it certainly ticks the high fat/protein boxes.

    MadpoetKaollasu78
  • RiDERiDE the WORST! Hotel CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Anyone been to Dragonfish Asian? Is it any good?

    "Try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damned fool about it."
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special Registered User regular
    RiDE wrote: »
    Anyone been to Dragonfish Asian? Is it any good?

    Wife and I grabbed happy hour there a few years ago and it was pretty good. Good selection and prices.

    XBL: F4ll0ut Wolfoid | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    RiDE
  • Spokane_SnowManSpokane_SnowMan Registered User regular
    RiDE wrote: »
    Anyone been to Dragonfish Asian? Is it any good?
    Have stayed at the Paramount for a couple PAX's. Dragonfish has been a pretty regular eatery for us. Happy hour is pretty good and runs from 9pm-1am so it is a great stop after later night activities.

    RiDEanettie76
  • RiDERiDE the WORST! Hotel CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Wife and I grabbed happy hour there a few years ago and it was pretty good. Good selection and prices.
    Have stayed at the Paramount for a couple PAX's. Dragonfish has been a pretty regular eatery for us. Happy hour is pretty good and runs from 9pm-1am so it is a great stop after later night activities.

    Great! I have a gift card and will obviously be loitering about in the vicinity anyway, so why not? It looks like their portions are tiny so I was kind of worried (I eat. A lot.) I didn't know about Happy Hour though, I'll definitely check that out. Thanks for the info!

    "Try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damned fool about it."
  • MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Registered User regular
    RiDE wrote: »
    Wife and I grabbed happy hour there a few years ago and it was pretty good. Good selection and prices.
    Have stayed at the Paramount for a couple PAX's. Dragonfish has been a pretty regular eatery for us. Happy hour is pretty good and runs from 9pm-1am so it is a great stop after later night activities.

    Great! I have a gift card and will obviously be loitering about in the vicinity anyway, so why not? It looks like their portions are tiny so I was kind of worried (I eat. A lot.) I didn't know about Happy Hour though, I'll definitely check that out. Thanks for the info!

    As others have said, the late night happy hour there is great. They have an a la carte menu of sushi, apps, and sides for like $2-5 each. Great for late at night when you don't want to eat a ton but want to keep hanging out at night.

    2967500-signature-1.png
  • adele822adele822 Registered User regular
    edited August 17
    Marino wrote: »
    RiDE wrote: »
    Wife and I grabbed happy hour there a few years ago and it was pretty good. Good selection and prices.
    Have stayed at the Paramount for a couple PAX's. Dragonfish has been a pretty regular eatery for us. Happy hour is pretty good and runs from 9pm-1am so it is a great stop after later night activities.

    Great! I have a gift card and will obviously be loitering about in the vicinity anyway, so why not? It looks like their portions are tiny so I was kind of worried (I eat. A lot.) I didn't know about Happy Hour though, I'll definitely check that out. Thanks for the info!

    As others have said, the late night happy hour there is great. They have an a la carte menu of sushi, apps, and sides for like $2-5 each. Great for late at night when you don't want to eat a ton but want to keep hanging out at night.


    Just an FYI, a couple months ago Dragonfish did a complete revamp of their interior and their menu. As a result, their large selection of $2-$6 happy hour dishes went away. I have not been back since the remodel so I don't know how the food is, but just from what I've seen of their menu on their website, and comments from people on their facebook page, it's very disappointing.

    https://dragonfishcafe.com/menu/happy-hour/

    adele822 on
  • RiDERiDE the WORST! Hotel CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    adele822 wrote: »
    Just an FYI, a couple months ago Dragonfish did a complete revamp of their interior and their menu. As a result, their large selection of $2-$6 happy hour dishes went away. I have not been back since the remodel so I don't know how the food is, but just from what I've seen of their menu on their website, and comments from people on their facebook page, it's very disappointing.

    https://dragonfishcafe.com/menu/happy-hour/

    Boo. Oh well, I'm kinda stuck since... gift card. :( I'll probably end up supplementing them with Dim Sum King or something (yay for .80c pork buns).

    "Try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damned fool about it."
  • ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 18
    curse wrote: »
    The Google doc is somewhat up to date. There's a lot of churn with places, I'll make an effort this week to update.

    I'll see if I can go through and clean out the closed places in the next few days. Probably won't have much time for adding new ones this year though. I think I gave Curse access to edit so he might have done it already :biggrin:

    ElmoFuntz on
    Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    sMolNzv.png

    gorgeousplanet
  • MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Registered User regular
    adele822 wrote: »
    Marino wrote: »
    RiDE wrote: »
    Wife and I grabbed happy hour there a few years ago and it was pretty good. Good selection and prices.
    Have stayed at the Paramount for a couple PAX's. Dragonfish has been a pretty regular eatery for us. Happy hour is pretty good and runs from 9pm-1am so it is a great stop after later night activities.

    Great! I have a gift card and will obviously be loitering about in the vicinity anyway, so why not? It looks like their portions are tiny so I was kind of worried (I eat. A lot.) I didn't know about Happy Hour though, I'll definitely check that out. Thanks for the info!

    As others have said, the late night happy hour there is great. They have an a la carte menu of sushi, apps, and sides for like $2-5 each. Great for late at night when you don't want to eat a ton but want to keep hanging out at night.


    Just an FYI, a couple months ago Dragonfish did a complete revamp of their interior and their menu. As a result, their large selection of $2-$6 happy hour dishes went away. I have not been back since the remodel so I don't know how the food is, but just from what I've seen of their menu on their website, and comments from people on their facebook page, it's very disappointing.

    https://dragonfishcafe.com/menu/happy-hour/

    Man...that's a bummer. Guess I'll need to find a new spot then.

    2967500-signature-1.png
  • Goddess of MadnessGoddess of Madness Registered User regular
    RiDE wrote: »
    Anyone been to Dragonfish Asian? Is it any good?

    DO NOT EAT ANY OF THE CHICKEN.... I lost Saturday due to late night chicken from there PAX 2014

  • SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 18
    I'm going to find time in the middle of the night to make my way to the Pie Bar on Olive Way and get me some pie. ... I really hope their walk-thru window doesn't have half hour lines again this year though.

    Mmmm Pie..

    Edit: Katsu Burger is great too, but it shall always be Kaiju Burger to me.

    SutibunRi on
  • vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    adele822 wrote: »

    Just an FYI, a couple months ago Dragonfish did a complete revamp of their interior and their menu. As a result, their large selection of $2-$6 happy hour dishes went away. I have not been back since the remodel so I don't know how the food is, but just from what I've seen of their menu on their website, and comments from people on their facebook page, it's very disappointing.

    https://dragonfishcafe.com/menu/happy-hour/

    Kenny Lee is a friend of a friend and a great chef so while maybe their cheap eats have mostly gone away, the quality should be really great. I haven't had a chance to eat there yet (he went there from Lionhead which is also amazing but up on Capitol Hill by Poppy - same owner) because I wanted things to settle down after the shake up before I went.

    PAX Prime Omeganaut 2011 // defeated by Lumines Live! on Xbox 360
  • vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    RiDE wrote: »
    Anyone been to Dragonfish Asian? Is it any good?

    DO NOT EAT ANY OF THE CHICKEN.... I lost Saturday due to late night chicken from there PAX 2014

    That's kind of a shitty thing to put on a recommendation thread when it's 3 years old AND there have been changes to a restaurant. Plus, how do you know for sure it was the chicken?

    PAX Prime Omeganaut 2011 // defeated by Lumines Live! on Xbox 360
    CKingI3izzydm_magic
  • cursecurse Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    ElmoFuntz wrote: »
    curse wrote: »
    The Google doc is somewhat up to date. There's a lot of churn with places, I'll make an effort this week to update.

    I'll see if I can go through and clean out the closed places in the next few days. Probably won't have much time for adding new ones this year though. I think I gave Curse access to edit so he might have done it already :biggrin:

    I've put strikethroughs through the one's that either Yelp or Eater told me were closed / shut down.

    IncreaseBlue
  • BLaZuREBLaZuRE Registered User regular
    vespachica wrote: »

    That's kind of a shitty thing to put on a recommendation thread when it's 3 years old AND there have been changes to a restaurant. Plus, how do you know for sure it was the chicken?

    I kindof see it as valid. I mean this thread is preferences from people that might've not been to the area for a year or more, though that one's just negative. Plus food poisoning is really rough so I can see their perspective. YMMV at any restaurant depending on the cook and pickiness.

    Recommendations are good, but just one factor to me.

    PAX West 2017 Checklist:
    [X] Order Badges [X] Hotel [X] Flight [X] Time Off [X] Bobcat [X] Dice [ . ] Challenge Coin [ . ] Sanity

    LK5MTZk.png
  • adele822adele822 Registered User regular
    BLaZuRE wrote: »
    vespachica wrote: »

    That's kind of a shitty thing to put on a recommendation thread when it's 3 years old AND there have been changes to a restaurant. Plus, how do you know for sure it was the chicken?

    I kindof see it as valid. I mean this thread is preferences from people that might've not been to the area for a year or more, though that one's just negative. Plus food poisoning is really rough so I can see their perspective. YMMV at any restaurant depending on the cook and pickiness.

    Recommendations are good, but just one factor to me.

    I agree, I like recommendations but they are very subjective. For the record I've had chicken many times at Dragonfish and have been fine. But I personally would prefer to know if others have had food poisoning at restaurants. It may not influence me not to go there, as I'd prefer to see for myself, but it's good to know.

    BLaZuRE
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    If the chicken at Dragonfish was poisoning people with any kind of frequency over the last 3 years, they would definitely be out of business. People also usually blame food poisoning on meat, when it's more likely from vegetables. As said before, it's very hard to locate where you got it from.

    Moridin889vespachica
«1
Sign In or Register to comment.