As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Etrian Odyssey: Nexus - When your cat is an absolute unit.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    That would take an amount of testing and/or data-mining that I couldn't fathom. Do speedruns of EO games usually include the 6th stratum or no?

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    That would take an amount of testing and/or data-mining that I couldn't fathom. Do speedruns of EO games usually include the 6th stratum or no?

I'd imagine not, since yeah it's usually brutally hard.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzKET7GLLHU

Character illustration DLC, so you can pretend your favourite class that didn't make it into EOX is in EOX?

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    They even have new art it looks like. That's pretty cool.

By the way did you catch that EO3 battle music cut? That was new / up to date instruments. They can't tell me they're not working on Etrian Odyssey 3 Untold.

Edit - No wait, I have another suspicion - maybe they're going to let people choose music to use from the series. Like a customizable soundtrack.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    I'm temped to restart my game of 5 because I discovered NONE of the classes I picked had any poison mitigation. It's just too costly early on to heal poison via items. I retrained my Shaman into a Botanist. But man that sucks to discover. *sigh* I really wanted them to be a shaman. Any advice?

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    Mitigate poison by killing them faster? My main party didn't have any mitigation for it other than Exorcism Prayer (which, at 4, isn't the best mitigation).

• Options
    I'm temped to restart my game of 5 because I discovered NONE of the classes I picked had any poison mitigation. It's just too costly early on to heal poison via items. I retrained my Shaman into a Botanist. But man that sucks to discover. *sigh* I really wanted them to be a shaman. Any advice?

What's your team and where are you?

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Man that very first, redheaded Landsknecht's pose is etched into my memories, even though I've barely used him at all.

Edit: You can easily make a team of old people, with this.

Edit: Yikes, Front Guard and Back Guard are back.

Edit: Oof, short ronin-stances are back. Jesus.

PLA on
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    PLA wrote: »
    Man that very first, redheaded Landsknecht's pose is etched into my memories, even though I've barely used him at all.

Edit: You can easily make a team of old people, with this.

Edit: Yikes, Front Guard and Back Guard are back.

Edit: Oof, short ronin-stances are back. Jesus.

Yeah, consolidating Front Guard and Back Guard into Line Guard is just... better.
    Unless there are some super interesting skill synergies that are going to arise from this (and having Line Guard be an "Advanced" version to learn of Front Guard and Back Guard would be absolute BS), I definitely look at that as a step backwards.

Link to the atlus site showing the novice-tier skills for those classes:
    https://www.atlus.co.jp/news/8480/

l_g on
  • Options
    I've been wondering if the character art customization from 5 will be in this. Making all those classic characters look different will be a huge yay for me.

• Options
    I've been wondering if the character art customization from 5 will be in this. Making all those classic characters look different will be a huge yay for me.

What if you could make your whole team bears and modify the colors of the bears

• Options
    l_g wrote: »

Is the Beast class in EOX? I don't remember seeing them present.

• Options

The class is not, but their illustrations are via the DLC.

• Options
    edited May 2018

EOII's Beast and EOIII's Y are probably the worst class designs (mechanically) in the series by a large margin. A shame they're also really unique concepts. I may grab a DLC for Y's illustrations anyways, since it would work fine for most classes.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    I beat Etrian Odyssey Untold's story mode and I'm now working on the 6thstratum and postgame stuff. I'm considering doing a run of classic mode at some point.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

EOII's Beast and EOIII's Y are probably the worst class designs (mechanically) in the series by a large margin. A shame they're also really unique concepts. I may grab a DLC for Y's illustrations anyways, since it would work fine for most classes.

EO2's Beast on paper looks like a versatile character that does it all: tanking, healing, binding, multi-target damage, single target damage, self-healing... in terms of what I'd have more fun playing with, I think I'd rather have the EO2 Beast than the Protector, even if the Protector is a lot better at tanking!

Yggdroid also sounds really cool, and I think the only real help it needs to be a great class is the summon line from EOV. I can see how not being able to have regular party members just kills it as a class.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Beast worked reasonably well, but I think that was one of the games where a Protector was actually required for a fight or two.

Now you can instead have a dog with a gun in its mouth, though.

Yggdroid could do a lot of different things, and worked well with a bunch of subclasses. The Gradius-stuff was a nightmare to deal with, though. Also you had to give up the most effective way to deal damage to get them on the first playthrough.

It will be, for new art and art that already had it. I heard they won't define regions on the hundreds of old pieces, but they'll at least add some new full palette-swaps to a couple of them.

PLA on
  • Options
    You could name your guild "Diamond Dogs" and every character is a Ninja subclassing Gunner/Medic/etc. with a dog portrait.

• Options
    Rabbit-Mononofu and therian portraits in the same game looks weird.

• Options
    That is really pretty and please let that be the art used for international releases.

• Options
    It's really pretty and in isolation it's a great game cover

But in light of it being the EOX cover, I don't like it. And the reason I don't like it is that the game is EOX and is meant to be a celebration of all the past EO games and this cover literally features nothing of that legacy that the game is celebrating.

• Options
    It's really pretty and in isolation it's a great game cover

But in light of it being the EOX cover, I don't like it. And the reason I don't like it is that the game is EOX and is meant to be a celebration of all the past EO games and this cover literally features nothing of that legacy that the game is celebrating.

Yeah, thats just hero portaits isn't it?

Give me the iconic classes of the prior games in the background please.

• Options
    They could use the afterimages-gimmick with old classes.

Or 240px-The_Three_Musketeers_%281921%29_2.jpg.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw4Vh-xhe4Y

In the opening array of images is a part where you can see a world map with a bunch of icons that you can move a cursor around on.

Highlander is indeed in, as is subclassing (so your Protector doesn't have to be so deadly dull!)

The trailer highlights some features from particular games, like subclassing in 3, force break/boost from EOU2, color customization from EOV.
    No sign of the summon line :(

• Options
    There's more Etrian Odyssey 3 music in that, updated. hnnnnnnnnnnnngh Yuzo Koshiroooooooooooo

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw4Vh-xhe4Y

In the opening array of images is a part where you can see a world map with a bunch of icons that you can move a cursor around on.

Highlander is indeed in, as is subclassing (so your Protector doesn't have to be so deadly dull!)

The trailer highlights some features from particular games, like subclassing in 3, force break/boost from EOU2, color customization from EOV.
    No sign of the summon line :(

I think no summon line was confirmed sadly. Which makes me wonder how ninjas will be implemented.

• Options
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    I think no summon line was confirmed sadly.

I feel like everything I'm going to like about EOX is going to be tempered by all the stuff from EOV they chose to leave out.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I just got to the Fetid Necropolis in Etrian Odyssey 5. Is this the first game in the series to feature undead?

• Options
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I just got to the Fetid Necropolis in Etrian Odyssey 5. Is this the first game in the series to feature undead?

Hmm. I think it might be for the classic types, but there are some cases in prior games that skirt the border at a minimum, though none of those are a case of outright necromancy being around.

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

Hmm. I think it might be for the classic types, but there are some cases in prior games that skirt the border at a minimum, though none of those are a case of outright necromancy being around.
    In the classic sense of undead definitely, though when I think back I don't think anything encountered in the games so far was even an alternate idea.

• Options
    Hexgourd is a messenger of hell, and Death Pumpkin is powered by angry ghosts.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    I liked the fetid necropolis angle of 'EVERYTHING is dangerous in here', where I didn't get quite that feeling from the previous stratum

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
  • Options
    PLA wrote: »

The Soejima one looks great but man does it not fit in with the others lol

• Options
    Help! I don't speak nor read Japanese! YouTube was smart enough to know I'd wanna see this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTmmXQpIj00

• Options
    edited June 2018
    It's just the video for this part, here. http://sq-atlus.jp/sqx/job/sq3/

Some stuff people jotted down about it.
    Shogun:
    - Warrior's Might: For one turn, chase all attacks from party members with the equipped weapon. Each time the chase activates, Shogun loses HP.
    - Zangetsuiaijin: Select one ally. Each time that ally is attacked, the front line will counterattack with their equipped weapons.
    - Force Boost: Battle Formation, for 3 turns raise the party's max HP and physical and elemental attack (doesn't seem to set current HP to the new maximum)
    - Force Break: Body Double, for one turn the party will nullify an effect from an enemy once (not sure what that means exactly)

Zodiac:
    - 'Multi-stage Ether': Ether spells become weaker, random targeting and deal several hits (similar to Spread Chant)
    - Meteor: unchanged (listed as 2-5 hits)
    - Force Boost: 'Astrology Time Axis', recovers half of Zodiac's max TP and boosts the power of Ether skills for 3 turns
    - Force Break: Astral Sign, ranged Fire + Ice + Volt element attack to all enemies. Allies do not consume TP on the turn this is used.
    Ninja:
    - Bunshin, no change to function however the initial TP cost was 0
    - Taggen Battou, no change to function, listed as 2-3 hits
    - Force Boost: Shinobazu, increases aggro and evasion
    - Force Break: Ninpo Poison Mist, poisons all enemies

Farmer:
    - Gift Sharing, restores TP to other allies in row
    - Harvest Festival: melee Cut attack to all enemies, does more damage and has a chance to instantly kill if target is bound
    - Force Boost: Item Again, item usage is repeated (presumably without consuming it)
    - Force Break: Final Stratagem, sets allies' force gauge to max, has a chance to restore broken force gauges
    Novice trees:

Sovereign:
    Attack Order -> Fire/Freeze/Shock Arms (all req. Attack Order 2)
    Guard Order -> Reinforce (req. Guard Order 2)
    Royal Veil -> Monarch March (req. Royal Veil 2)
    Negotiation
    Take

Shogun:
    'Sweeping Second Sword'-> Drift Echo (req. Sweeping Second Sword 2)
    Zangetsuiaijin
    Bolt Slash (from Blade Master Masurao)
    'Height of Ignorance'
    Daifuhensha -> 'Drawing of Assassins' (req. Daifuhensha 2)
    Morale Boost
    Take

Zodiac:
    Etheric Gleam -> Fire/Ice/Volt Star (req. 1)
    Singularity -> Etheric Charge (req. Singularity 3)/Etheric Return (req. Singularity 3)
    Horoscope
    Mine

Ninja:
    Fukubari -> Makibishi (req. Fukubari 3)
    Kagenui -> Bone Crusher (req. Kagenui 3)
    Karuwaza -> Senpuku (req. Karuwaza 2)
    Kagerou
    Stealth Mastery(?)
    Chop

Farmer:
    Sympathy Pain -> Strange Seeds (req. Sympathy Pain 1)/Play Possum (req. Sympathy Pain 1)
    Keen Eye -> 'Search Skill' (req. Keen Eye 2)
    Mad Escape
    Slap Awake
    Harvestry (Take+Chop+Mine)
    Earth's Bounty (former class passive)

Sovereign also has 2 new skills called Heal Order and Pair Order
    Farmer was also shown using Rain or Shine

PLA on
  • Options
    I'm guessing that Body Double move is a one-shot nullify attack and all secondary effects, per party member. So basically your standard panic button. Though EOII put that on Protector, understandably (and then IV had it in the party burst skills in a couple tiers, the final one being the old Protector button of "the enemy does zero damage this turn, period").

• Options
    Farmers having a bind-based attack makes me happy. I think I'll unironically have one in the team.

• Options
    I wonder if that's a chance that increases with each bind, or just flat if any binds. Can't imagine it means fully-bound. Ecstasy was kind of bad in EOII since anything you cared about massive setup damage on you couldn't meet the prerequisites for it without using Dominate first. And then you got to use it once.