As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Etrian Odyssey: Nexus - When your cat is an absolute unit.

• FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    Did you max out the multihit boost? it's 5% per stack until level 5, and damage variance means that small increases like that are hard to see early on. It caps out at 9%, and can increase 9 times if you can hit that much, ending up as a 81% damage increase on the last hit.
    I did not max it out, maybe that's it. Still, a basic Masurao only has a two-hit, so it'd only be a single 5%, 7%, or 9% increase for one hit.

Yeah, it's really not worth it unless you go for the bigger multihit attacks.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    For some reason the synergy / purpose of skills in this game is confusing the shit out of me. Like the Warlock's mastery line for Elemancer has a passive that grants a bonus to your damage if someone uses an INT based skill before you, but what other classes actually DO that? Why are Chase skills so hard to get follow-ups on? Why does the Masurao have the passive to do more damage for multi-hit attacks as a basic when the only time you can actually make that happen is with the master classes? What's the point of having an Herbalist master the ability to heal at the start of the next turn for less?

More than you'd think. The premier example is the Shaman's Oracle, which you'd be using anyway if you were trying to deal bigger elemental damage than normal. Herbologist and Reaper have one or two things each, but that's pretty niche. Other Warlocks work, too.

Basic Masurao has at least one skill that hits twice. It's really not worth the investment for that, though. It's bad.

Healing at the start of the next turn or at the end of the current turn does something instead of nothing on those turns when you start with full health and then lose a lot of health after you act.

PLA on
  • OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    For some reason the synergy / purpose of skills in this game is confusing the shit out of me. Like the Warlock's mastery line for Elemancer has a passive that grants a bonus to your damage if someone uses an INT based skill before you, but what other classes actually DO that? Why are Chase skills so hard to get follow-ups on? Why does the Masurao have the passive to do more damage for multi-hit attacks as a basic when the only time you can actually make that happen is with the master classes? What's the point of having an Herbalist master the ability to heal at the start of the next turn for less?

the fencer's chase skills can iirc only follow up attacks that are of stab or the chaser element typing

they also aren't a 100% chance to proc after the first one so even when a chase skill says "MAX 3 Follow-ups" that doesn't mean you'll always get 3 every turn, you'll get anywhere from 1-3

also i could be wrong but Whirlwind in the basic Masurao tree is also a multi-hit attack, the Peerless Demon passive states multiple hits but doesn't specify they have to be on the same target

but yes, it's very much a passive designed to be used on the Blade Dancer spec since that spec has multihits for days

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    But the chases are target specific instead of general.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    So wait, swallow soar is bad? Darn.

I ate an engineer
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    If you have ailments or binds that stop an enemy from acting, it becomes substantially bad.

yes?

edited October 2017

i wouldn't say it's bad initially because it has a high speed modifier so you can use it to strike first in a turn if you want to take out an enemy that's low, but Therians are pretty solid on the AGI front to begin with so your Masurao will generally be in the upward percentile of people taking their turns first

it also does the most damage out of the basic skills assuming you land both hits but doing so is pretty conditional because sometimes you'll disable an enemy to stop them from doing something, therefore Swallow won't get its 2nd hit off, etc

overall Armor Pierce is probably going to be what you want to prioritize because it's all around useful no matter what, you can never go wrong with def reduction on an enemy

Orphane on
    Orphane wrote: »

yes?
    So what elemental attacks hit multiple times on a single target?

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

yes?

Warlock multihit chant. Any multi-hit weapon skill after applying an element. Etc.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Since how many weapons you can produce is tied to loot drops, and upgrading weapons can be done with either the ingots or the same loot drops used to craft the weapons, the feeling I'm getting is that I should just go nuts on plussing up my weapons with loot unless it's a weapon I want more than one party member to have. Ingots look like a thing to save for upgrading weapons that have loots that are annoying to get.

But holy cow do your weapons rocket up in power fast. Without even making an attempt to grind, I had a +5 Short Bow by the time I finished the first floor, and that pace hasn't abated.

I still don't like how little info is given about skill upgrades. Skill points aren't any less precious, and I'm not pleased that I have to look up a wiki to find out what activation percentage/damage bonuses/stat bonuses/etc. are for any given skill I'm putting points into. Unless it's a question of "do I want to use a point to gain an entirely new skill" or "do I want to put points towards unlocking a new skill" where the answer is about accessing abilities, when I'm in the phase of deciding between incremental upgrades, I really don't know what I'm getting unless I'm willing to do a bunch of saving/loading.

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
    There's little cross-over for weapon upgrade materials at the start, it's very easy to do. The exception being loot that comes from bosses and FOEs.

yes?
    the fencer's chase skills can iirc only follow up attacks that are of stab or the chaser element typing
    it doesn't need to be only one singular attack

for example if you have a rover and a herbalist in the back equipped with bows and a warlock in a party with a fencer

the fencer uses chain flame and the warlock casts fireball while the rover casts hawk arrow and herbalist auto attacks the same target

the first of those 3 actions will always result in a chain followup attack and the two actions that come after have a lowered chance to proc the followup

later on obviously this opens up depending on what specializations you go with but as other people mentioned, there is a shaman spec that can multihit with elements, hawk rovers have a multhit arrow, etc.

i'm not sure if two chain spec fencers would have one proc off the other's chain follows assuming they picked the same element. but obviously you need initial attacks to proc followups so running additional chain fencers (or more than 1, anyways) is probably unrealistic in terms of looking at semi role balanced parties, if it even works

Swallow Soar is fine, but Peerless Swallow Soar is basically just twice the points for regular Swallow Soar. The difference is small.

yes?

Two guys with elemental attacks. Many multihits don't trigger more than one chain, anyway.

Shaman gives you five people with elemental attacks.

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    TIL that those skills some weapons give you are only activated by giving the weapon a +1 upgrade.

If you're really nuts, there's this. http://edit.s2.xrea.com/sq5/
    Some 3DS-screens give varying results, though, and a few of these default values are different in the final release. No, I didn't sit and compare them, I'm not obsessed, you're obsessed, not me.

got past hippogriff, the fucker

only to come across the single hardest thing

naming my legendary classes (I was sorely tempted by the guild master's suggestion, "Stabdaddy")

@PLA I'm getting a security warning on that last link you posted.

Huh, neither Malwarebytes nor Avast said anything to me.

• KoldanarKoldanar Registered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »
    TIL that those skills some weapons give you are only activated by giving the weapon a +1 upgrade.

And upgrading the weapon upgrades the skill level, as well.

So, my party setup is now all ruined, after I hit the 3rd stratum, and unlocked legendary classes - I didn't want to spoil myself as to their skills, so I picked what I liked for the first 2 and ran with it.

So far, I went from Dragoon - Harvester - Monk? - Botanist - Rover to Fencer - Harvester - Monk - Shaman - Rover, and now I've dropped the rover, and put in a Boom dragoon. And I'm already thinking of dropping another to try out a 4 katana build....HELP ME.

I also bit the bullet and bought the Exp DLC - so as an FYI
    You get 450,000 exp per completion, and all you need to do to finish is win ONE FIGHT.

3DS friend code : 1375 - 7258 - 4504
    That's fairly large.

So can you ever re-fight bosses to get their conditional drops? I ran out of TP to get the necessary status on the first boss (curse my luck)

I ate an engineer
    So can you ever re-fight bosses to get their conditional drops? I ran out of TP to get the necessary status on the first boss (curse my luck)
    Absolutely. I forget the exact count of days it takes for them to respawn, but in that case when you get one to show up again that you need, save before going to fight, and save-scum away!

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

In previous EOs, they respawned after like a week or so? I think.

That's good.

Also man, I want to try new classes but I don't want to regrind. Even with the conch they're super low. Mrrgrrgrrr

I ate an engineer
    That's good.

Also man, I want to try new classes but I don't want to regrind. Even with the conch they're super low. Mrrgrrgrrr
    The Harbinger has an ability that increases your experience gained, and the Masurao has an ability that triggers immediate battles (and has a chance to trigger more). This game did what it could to curb the grind without bypassing it entirely.

That's good.

The Harbinger has an ability that increases your experience gained, and the Masurao has an ability that triggers immediate battles (and has a chance to trigger more). This game did what it could to curb the grind without bypassing it entirely.

The Masurao ability also increases the odds of rare breeds showing up (read: bonus XP).

you can also spend $2 and get an infinitely repeatable quest that awards like 4-5 levels at a time when you turn it in

lmap

(i bought that shit)

Bosses might be two weeks.

Maybe you kind folks can help me – I’m having trouble settling on a party comp.
    Spoilers in case someone doesn’t want to know the advanced skills (I didn’t)
    I really want to use something other than the set healer / shield tank I always wind up using, so I want to make an evade fencer work for me, but I can’t settle on the rest of the party.
    I currently have a Deathbringer Harvester, a Barrage Pugilist, aforementioned evade tank, a shaman, and a ?? party member.
    I’ve tried fitting in a necro, but both builds sounded boring to me. I’ve tried a hawk rover, but that didn’t feel fun. A cannon dragoon, but I felt like the turrets conflicted with my fencer drawing aggro. I can’t get excited over a warlock, right now either.
    Currently trying a hound rover, but I’d love to mix it up even more, but I feel like I’m obligated to have that pugilist for the binds. Help would be appreciated.
    And another fencer is right out – I don’t want to duplicate classes. It bothers me for some odd reason – I need the variety!

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Koldanar wrote: »
    Maybe you kind folks can help me – I’m having trouble settling on a party comp.
    Spoilers in case someone doesn’t want to know the advanced skills (I didn’t)
    I really want to use something other than the set healer / shield tank I always wind up using, so I want to make an evade fencer work for me, but I can’t settle on the rest of the party.
    I currently have a Deathbringer Harvester, a Barrage Pugilist, aforementioned evade tank, a shaman, and a ?? party member.
    I’ve tried fitting in a necro, but both builds sounded boring to me. I’ve tried a hawk rover, but that didn’t feel fun. A cannon dragoon, but I felt like the turrets conflicted with my fencer drawing aggro. I can’t get excited over a warlock, right now either.
    Currently trying a hound rover, but I’d love to mix it up even more, but I feel like I’m obligated to have that pugilist for the binds. Help would be appreciated.
    And another fencer is right out – I don’t want to duplicate classes. It bothers me for some odd reason – I need the variety!
    Perhaps a Celestian Botanist focused on vapes smokes?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Perhaps a Celestian Botanist focused on vapes smokes?
    There's a bit of an overlap there between the harvester and a smoke botanist, and I'm actually starting to love frigid reap.

Who, besides pugilists, have head binds? I know the hawk can sometimes, but it's not consistent enough.

Masurao can bind all, Rover has explicit leg/arm bind skills and may have a head bind active for hawk.

• TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Hawk-spec Rovers have Aerial Talons, which has the same head-bind rate as the Pugilist's Concussion.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
    I'm a little disappointed that the whole airship with dropping food and packages to people doesn't seem to be in EO5 (EOV?). Food is rather straightforward and convenient to use in the middle of dungeon traversal now, but I don't get to discover recipes and name my restaurant.

I do like that the dungeon is populated with little mini-quests that reward you with pretty substantial chunks of XP, and more importantly, make the dungeon feel more alive with other characters in it. Functionally, this arguably fulfills that, but its presentation and the potential for sub-dungeons you'd discover is kind of gone. I really like the extra line for summoned units, and the race+class thing in EO5, but it feels like a step backwards in those two elements. Having unique field abilities for the different races and having them be a further source of events + XP is really good, though.

I mean, they tried out a bunch of stuff in EO4/1U/2U and are clearly experimenting with even more stuff in 5

Some of it will be good, some of it will feel like it misses the mark. I like that the devs for this particular series are willing to experiment/iterate and add qol stuff even if the core of the game is based off old school hardcore dungeon crawling

I mean, they tried out a bunch of stuff in EO4/1U/2U and are clearly experimenting with even more stuff in 5

Some of it will be good, some of it will feel like it misses the mark. I like that the devs for this particular series are willing to experiment/iterate and add qol stuff even if the core of the game is based off old school hardcore dungeon crawling
    It also lets the games have unique qualities to them, to stand out and be replayed.

At some point I kind of want an "All-Stars" EO that just brings in all of the unique features of every game (with the options for toggles if there are contradictions, e.g. whether or not FOEs give XP), the classes of every game, and game balance be damned.

The demented classes of 3, the overworld + restaurant of 4, the 3rd line and events of 5, the Highlander and Fafnir from the Untold games, the choice of having named party members with dialogue or not like in Untold, etc.

Just put all of it in there and make a glorious mess. Maybe even add further adjustments so that a player on replays can crank up enemy durability/damage even further with sliders so that if you want to have Ninjas subclassed with Fafnir your enemies don't die instantly.