As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Etrian Odyssey: Nexus - When your cat is an absolute unit.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    This new party I've been using is working out very damn well, so I'm actually making progress in the game again. Ran into a problem in the third stratum though. The ghosts. The goddamn ghosts.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Made it to the 4th stratum finally (I got distracted by some other things; hence the new file with the DLC). I had some issues for the first 15 minutes or so when I was walking around visualizing where walls actually were. Still not as bad as stratum 3 in EO2 at least. I one-shotted the boss from the third stratum but damn was that a mess to figure things out.

The Fencer, when you go the chain specialization, becomes insane with the damage output. I was unsure of going this route at first, and I'm still curious about the evade-centric one, but the benefits quickly started ramping up. I kinda underestimated the power of the passive ability where an additional attack is done to another enemy if a chain attack kills the initial target. The damage scaling is pretty big. Sadly it doesn't trigger very often. The core here is the chance to double-strike a chain attack.

Pugilist didn't really grow as much as I thought it would under barrage brawler. Lash Out's damage isn't as high as I thought it would be. It's good, but I feel underwhelmed. Still, binds are my favorite thing to do in the game so they get to stay.

The warlock line for omni magic is paying off better than I thought it would also. The all-hit melee spells are actually pretty damn strong, and when you focus them with the chant it's pretty significant. Though the TP cost is a bit much. I've come to love the field spells, invincibility and levitate, and they last a damn good while.

My botanist has become something of a "break open in case of emergency" character. I went the poisoner route because healing hasn't been a problem. Usually if someone is taking a huge hit and not immediately recovering because of my rover, they're dying. So the botanist is like a res battery. The smoke skills are neat. They're situational so far, but when they're needed the impact they make is significant. The rover on the other hand is starting to disappoint me. I went the hound route on their specialization, and it's nice getting the free heals. The problem is that using my special attack abilities for the hound deny the healing happening (which I didn't know would happen). So if I debuff an enemy's defense with target shot, my hound stops healing as long as it is active. I need to redo the skill point spending, probably focus on the hawk for attack abilities while letting the hound be a passive heal battery.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Lash Out is effectively a bonus for Leading Blow or One-Two Punch, which are the meat and potatoes.

Yeah, Target Shot makes any pets present default to attacking on turns without direct commands.

Don't sleep on Panic. It's a useful ailment, and two of your people can grab it.

PLA on
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    PLA wrote: »
    Lash Out is effectively a bonus for Leading Blow or One-Two Punch, which are the meat and potatoes.

Yeah, Target Shot makes any pets present default to attacking on turns without direct commands.

Which is unfortunate, really. Though hound has a command heal (that also clears ailments).

I'm still not sure what to do with my rover, I just hit 30s across the board and 12th floor. Probably going to retire everyone for the power up before tackling the 3rd properly.

Hawk has a ton of AoE and less single-target. Honestly my whole party suffers a tad there... though focus chant is helpful in that regard, and I guess cannon dragoon shifts that way.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Gun is really strong. A single Dragoon can't keep up with a full party, but it gets closer than you'd think.

edited December 2017
    I got my first point into my botanist's auto-smoke ability and I can already tell I will be appreciating the hell out of it.

I also just got the Master Key and am going around to the doors. I always enjoyed this part of the games.

Edit - Holy fuck the camo dogs.

Henroid on
    edited December 2017
    So the 20th floor is probably the best designed floor in the entire series. I adore navigating it, but it's also not as dauntingly huge as it would seem. Some of the FOE trickery was cool to find out, but there was a situation where I had to brute-force my way into fighting. Worked out though.

I apparently reached the final gateway to the boss of the stratum, so I warped out. There's a couple nooks I haven't explored. I also reached level 70 in that same room. Once I get to the 5th stratum, I'll retire my crew for the stat bonuses and take on the end of the game a little more fresh.

As an aside, fucking kudos to this track. Though there's no extended upload so the internet has failed me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmofgdgnIWM

Edit - Alright my good will has evaporated. How the fuck am I supposed to approach this motherfucker of a boss?

Edit Edit - 5th stratum! Exactly what I expected, and a little more. I also have a pretty solid guess at what the 6th stratum is now, considering how the music sounds for it (which I heard a freaking year ago).

Henroid on
    Yay I beat it. Final boss:
    So apparently it can be turned to stone. The first half of the boss fight, it was stone because of my warlock's Altar spell. But then the boss really started whooping my ass. On the last turn of the battle, everyone except my Fencer and my Rover's dog died. But the miasma from the boss killed it along with most of my party. So that was cool.
    I liked this one a lot. I couldn't put the EO games into an order of most favorite to least, but this one is up there.

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    I kinda petered out on fl 22. things have gotten a bit samey in how I fight them, and I'm kinda ready to be done. I'll just have to stir up the motivation to come back to this at some point.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Yeah I've settled into a very rote routine when it comes to battles.
    Ruinous Prayer, either petal scatter or leg sweep on the masurao. Counter Guard or AoE from the dragoon. AoE or single target from the rover and AoE or fast focus chant nuke a poor sucker with the Warlock.

Most fights are done in two rounds with minimal effort and I'm stuck in a rut with the shaman because I honestly don't know what I'm going to put skill points towards because it's all minor improvements from here on out.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    I kinda petered out on fl 22. things have gotten a bit samey in how I fight them, and I'm kinda ready to be done. I'll just have to stir up the motivation to come back to this at some point.
    If it makes you feel better, floors 23, 24, and 25 are REALLY fast and easy to explore for this point of the game. Plus random encounters in the 5th stratum are fewer in between than all the previous floors in the game. If you have a warlock with partially-leveled invisibility, you can explore an entire floor and only run into 2, maybe 3 battles.

Some tracks sound like Michiru Oshima.

• FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Just remember that floor 25 and onwards random encounters get a looooot more dangerous. So don't go up there without saving first.

edited December 2017
    The 6th stratum of this game is the first time I've been legit scared of moving forward with exploration in this series. Full-on spoilers for the 26th floor (and possibly more).
    So we've known what the music sounded like for over a year. I would've guessed it was a space station up to now. I was close, but fucking hell, this is eerie. The music matches perfectly with what little there is for scenery, but the one detail that makes it all come together is how disjointed your vision is. You can't just see the entire layout in front of you. Things just come and go from vision, usually when it comes to 'around the corner' type situations. Even when it's just a couple steps away! It's just a fucking void. That is fucked up. And so far the one FOE I've seen matches that space-lady's description of "there's going to be some shit you see here that will blow your mind." YEAH. YEAH IT'S KINDA FUCKED UP OUT HERE.
    But man. This blows all the previous 6th stratum out of the water as far as effect goes. Sure they were all difficult and in that way they made things tense. But as far as selling you on that just by walking around? None of them hold a candle to this.

Edit - Oh hey I finally unlocked the Dryad fight and SHEEEEEEEEEEEIT.

Henroid on
    I just beat the Dryad on my second attempt. Unexpectedly too; I was just going to do a quick attempt to learn her pattern. Instead what happened was by turn 2 she was fully bound and then turned to stone on the next turn. My fencer's chain attacks were dishing out about a thousand damage each swing (that's accounting or the early swings being a little under and the remaining swings being well over). Jesus I can't believe my luck with that.

Now I have a level 80 cap. Gonna invest into my party's strengths a little more, and the raw stat gains from those levels will help tremendously. Oh my god I am so happy.

You know... normally I wouldn't go for shortcut DLCs...

but this is $2 to basically let me reroll as much as I want and put together silly shit left and right, isn't it? :rotate:

I am fondly remembering running a solo shadow clone ninja in EO3 (as a silly boss killer build). That was fun as hell.

Polaritie wrote: »

but this is $2 to basically let me reroll as much as I want and put together silly shit left and right, isn't it? :rotate:

I am fondly remembering running a solo shadow clone ninja in EO3 (as a silly boss killer build). That was fun as hell.
    I always wanted to try that in EO3. Even with the manipulable boss fight at sea for free XP, it took a lot to level in that game.

Henroid wrote: »

I always wanted to try that in EO3. Even with the manipulable boss fight at sea for free XP, it took a lot to level in that game.

Yeah, I never got past doing it on the second boss. But I could reliably solo the thing. It's totally a gimmick build, just based around shadow clone and the monk's die = TP/HP passives. Later bosses probably shut it down harder, but...

Yeah, I never got past doing it on the second boss. But I could reliably solo the thing. It's totally a gimmick build, just based around shadow clone and the monk's die = TP/HP passives. Later bosses probably shut it down harder, but...
    EO3 is still the best in the series for having amazingly goofy or complex synergy builds, I think.

I haven't tried looking for any gimmicky builds in part 5.

On the topic of EO5, now that I'm a really high level with a ton of TP, I finally raised my Warlock's basic element spells past the first TP cost increase. They'd been doing enough damage before as far as keeping up goes. Now there's some more oomph behind them. Plus I've been using invisibility to avoid random encounters since they're not so important, so I can reserve my TP for FOEs and boss fights.

edited December 2017

EO3 is still the best in the series for having amazingly goofy or complex synergy builds, I think.

On the topic of EO5, now that I'm a really high level with a ton of TP, I finally raised my Warlock's basic element spells past the first TP cost increase. They'd been doing enough damage before as far as keeping up goes. Now there's some more oomph behind them. Plus I've been using invisibility to avoid random encounters since they're not so important, so I can reserve my TP for FOEs and boss fights.

My biggest complaint in EO3 is that you have to NG++ to get everything. That was dumb.

My second biggest complaint is Y being so bad. It desperately needed EO5's summon row, and better numbers, and less self-destructive stuff in general. Conceptually it was cool, though, with what self-binds represented and what it did while fully bound.

It doesn't live up to the hype really.

Polaritie on
    I find myself horribly starved for money taking all the random encounters i get, as well as on about the intended level. Invisibility kind of feels like a trap in that sense.

My biggest complaint in EO3 is that you have to NG++ to get everything. That was dumb.

My second biggest complaint is Y being so bad. It desperately needed EO5's summon row, and better numbers, and less self-destructive stuff in general. Conceptually it was cool, though, with what self-binds represented and what it did while fully bound.

It doesn't live up to the hype really.
    If they give EO3 the Untold treatment, you can bet the Y will work like EO5's classes do. And then it'll be goddamn insane good.

An actually functional yggdroid would certainly be interesting. Sadly it looks like we wont get EOU3.

Frozenzen wrote: »
    I find myself horribly starved for money taking all the random encounters i get, as well as on about the intended level. Invisibility kind of feels like a trap in that sense.
    I didn't run into money problems until I hit the end-game, when weapons and armor suddenly started costing a ridiculous amount of money. Throughout the bulk of the game though I was fine as far as money went.

As for Invisibility, it does have an ability that is opposite. It's a Masu ability that triggers a random encounter on use, with the max rank having a chance to chain further battles. You can also get this ability via a weapon (provided you upgrade the weapon). It's a staff.

I didn't run into money problems until I hit the end-game, when weapons and armor suddenly started costing a ridiculous amount of money. Throughout the bulk of the game though I was fine as far as money went.

As for Invisibility, it does have an ability that is opposite. It's a Masu ability that triggers a random encounter on use, with the max rank having a chance to chain further battles. You can also get this ability via a weapon (provided you upgrade the weapon). It's a staff.

Wouldn't the opposite ability be Harbinger's encounter/xp up ability?

Wouldn't the opposite ability be Harbinger's encounter/xp up ability?
    Oh yeah I forgot about that. I need to revisit the Harbinger, I didn't like it on my first go-around. Now that I better understand the game though...

I'm in the sixth stratum and yeah. Equipment became crazy expensive around the fifth and onwards.

New challenger staff is nice, but I prefer weaving combat with exploration. If you don't mind grinding it's not an issue.

On a different note postgame bosses are pretty fun so far, and very different. I oneshot dryad due to being disable heavy, but primordiphant is a huge pain with my lineup.

I'm in the sixth stratum and yeah. Equipment became crazy expensive around the fifth and onwards.

New challenger staff is nice, but I prefer weaving combat with exploration. If you don't mind grinding it's not an issue.

On a different note postgame bosses are pretty fun so far, and very different. I oneshot dryad due to being disable heavy, but primordiphant is a huge pain with my lineup.
    Primordiphant ended up being easy because of a blind I got off, and the NPC present helped a ton as far as damage output went. Plus, because of my team structure, he was on the front line, so it boosted his damage tremendously.

I kinda like that they give you a choice in having someone present with you for these boss fights. Their build is a pretty big hint at what you're supposed to aim for, success-wise.

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular

Primordiphant ended up being easy because of a blind I got off, and the NPC present helped a ton as far as damage output went. Plus, because of my team structure, he was on the front line, so it boosted his damage tremendously.

I kinda like that they give you a choice in having someone present with you for these boss fights. Their build is a pretty big hint at what you're supposed to aim for, success-wise.

interesting. I was planning to kill the Primordiphant before I beat fl 25 just because I could. I got him to like 25% at the time I just hit the 5th strat, so I figured I'd just go for the kill before I beat the regular game.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    Tcheldor wrote: »

interesting. I was planning to kill the Primordiphant before I beat fl 25 just because I could. I got him to like 25% at the time I just hit the 5th strat, so I figured I'd just go for the kill before I beat the regular game.
    It's absolutely doable at that point of the game.

My 3DS battery light just flashed, which sucks because I finally navigated my way to the Zombie Dragon. At least I got the shortcut open. Now to wait. -_-

So I beat the Zombie Dragon last night on my first attempt, though it was a VERY close call.
    Generally speaking I was doing okay with the fight. The one move the dragon had that was fucking me up was the miasma getting lit on fire. It wasn't until sometime after the second time I got hit by it that I realized what was happening. So I played it safe and was doing quite well. Then the dragon breathed fire itself, setting the miasma ablaze, and then the shit really hit the fan. By this point in the fight everyone was super low on TP and the resurrections were coming slowly. Eventually everyone was dead, minus my Pugilist and the hawk and doggo. The hawk delivered the killing blow. That was tense as all hell.
    I also reached the 29th floor today, and the first few rooms were baffling in how easy they were to navigate. Then the game finally pulled out the series' oldest trick.
    Making you descend to eventually go up. Except it's portal hell, and there's multiple down-flooring going on.

Just beat Lamia and now have level 99 available. I didn't do a retire yet for the stat / skill point benefits of it (since I did one at 70 and it seems to be enough for now). But with those 9 levels my party is just stupidly strong now. I finally realized how one of the Rover skills work when you go doggo route; it does damage based on an enemy being leg bound so I invested heavily in that. Gave my Pugilist the bind-resist line skill since she was offensively capped out. My Fencer I gave some dodge-counter. My Botanist is capped out for the ailments being highest chance possible. Warlock was capped out for offense output so I gave her the one-turn elemental defense buff. I tested this all out on the monstrous elephant thing and holy shit that fight was nothing.

I have one quest left (collect the conditional drops from specific things), one enemy left in the monster compendium to discover (I WONDER WHO IT IS), and some items to fill out in the item compendium scattered all over. I'm not that worried about best-in-slotting my team anymore, though I do have a few of those going on (or the next-to-best).

• l_gl_g Registered User regular
    I don't get how the Turret works for the Dragoon. When does it get to shoot?

I feel like Shield Bearer is probably the more effective Dragoon choice in Advanced mode, but the Cannon dragoon just looks more fun.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
    I think the second tier bunker counterattacks. Not sure if it works on aoe attacks or just single target ones.

And cannon dragoon is plenty of defense even in the 6th stratum. The only thing shield bearer gets you is the ability to shut down all attacks to one target, but that leaves everyone else vulnerable.

I think the second tier bunker counterattacks. Not sure if it works on aoe attacks or just single target ones.

And cannon dragoon is plenty of defense even in the 6th stratum. The only thing shield bearer gets you is the ability to shut down all attacks to one target, but that leaves everyone else vulnerable.

Yeah, the Cannon Bearer gets an upgraded bunker that shoots back. It has lower aggro draw, but the counterattack is big and nasty. And triggers against AoEs and such, so a line of three of those can do a lot of damage. Cannon Bearer also has a passive that gives a chance to summon one whenever they're hit.

• l_gl_g Registered User regular

Yeah, the Cannon Bearer gets an upgraded bunker that shoots back. It has lower aggro draw, but the counterattack is big and nasty. And triggers against AoEs and such, so a line of three of those can do a lot of damage. Cannon Bearer also has a passive that gives a chance to summon one whenever they're hit.

Whoa, that sounds awesome!

Is the turret's chance to counter attack based on the dragoon's luck, or is it just based on the level of the turret skill?

And if the "chance to summon on hit" is independently calculated for each character, it would be hilarious to have a frontline of multiple Cannon Bearers so that on a single enemy AOE attack, there's a chance of a whole line of decoy turrets popping up...

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Shield Bearer has Full Cover, which is virtually a Unison skill in terms of absolute damage mitigation on a 7-5 turn CD. 25-50% damage reduction for the entire party vs non all-mighty damage. Use Gunmount for a very high damage very fast follow up ability and you can get 40% uptime on it.

They also have Counter Guard which is a lower damage reduction Line Guard but counters with a nasty attack that takes elemental damage modifiers like oils.

But in any case, the basic Dragoon abilities give them more than enough basic defensive capabilities.
    Line Guard, Mana Guard and Gunmount are all you really need if you want to hunker down defensively or Dragon's Roar + Healing Guard and laugh as you recover more HP than the damage you took.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
    edited December 2017
    Cannon is a decent solo-class. It can hit hard, and is durable enough. Not having to babysit doesn't quite make up for not having support, but it works well for a class that likes to be the only target and has some skillpoint-drains that only matter for a party.

PLA on
    l_g wrote: »

Whoa, that sounds awesome!

Is the turret's chance to counter attack based on the dragoon's luck, or is it just based on the level of the turret skill?

And if the "chance to summon on hit" is independently calculated for each character, it would be hilarious to have a frontline of multiple Cannon Bearers so that on a single enemy AOE attack, there's a chance of a whole line of decoy turrets popping up...

Turret always counters when hit, as long as it survives. The chance is just for spawning more turrets. Healing Guard+Dragon's Roar would be the way to go for that.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    If the monsters use a line attack, I found it useful to mix in a bunker with the turrets.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png