As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Etrian Odyssey: Nexus - When your cat is an absolute unit.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I don't suppose anyone has fought and killed the Star Devourer, have they? I'm ah... having some trouble. Namely with things like it regenerating all its parts and I don't have Aegis ready and OOPS DEAD.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I haven't done it yet, but some people skip the fight with Sanzu.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Sadly. I kind of stalled out in the sixth stratum. Will come back to it later.

The fight is supposed to be brutal, a fair few people seem to have to retire at 99 and relevel for it. Or cheese it with sanzu.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Beat third stratum while on a cruise.

The boss was... kind of an endurance match, but I managed, despite only having two Hamaos and two medicas on my inventory for items. I was actually just intending to scout him, but I ended up deep enough that I figured I'd try to beat him.

Good thing I'm a miser and didn't raise a lot of skills above level 4, too. This fight was the first time in the game I used Mana Heal - repeteadly.
    Lili coming with was invaluable in terms of action economy, too. But overall, the boss just took long. I must have spent like fifteen minutes punching the Necromancer King's face.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    Sadly. I kind of stalled out in the sixth stratum. Will come back to it later.

The fight is supposed to be brutal, a fair few people seem to have to retire at 99 and relevel for it. Or cheese it with sanzu.
    My party is a fully retired crew from level 99 back to level 99. And it decimated me. I'm thinking I need a character specifically designed to undo buffs and debuffs. Not that it stops the goddamn instant kill ability.

I loaded Etrian Odyssey 1 Untold last night, restarted my file. Gonna see the story mode through for once.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    EO untold 1 story mode is rough. Probably less rough than V's sixth stratum I suppose!

Frozenzen on
  • Options
    EO untold 1 story mode is rough. Probably less rough than V's sixth stratum I suppose!
    In what regard? Is the class lineup they give you bad?

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    Having finished the 3rd Stratum, I'd say so far that the thing I don't like about the Warlock's progression compared to the others is that in the Elemancer branch, you can't unlock a bunch of cool abilities without pushing all 3 of your basic attack spells to level 5, where they go to 12 TP from 7 TP. I'm sorely tempted to put the Hero Band or another TP increasing item on the Warlock, but he's already lacking enough in durability even in the back line.

The Rover's pets are good stuff, but man the Rover's offensive skills cost a lot of TP relative to the Rover's TP pool. Piercing shot at level 1 is 9 TP! The dog gives you so much mileage in the dungeon that I find my food supply is often overflowing, even though I'm converting everything I can into the big TP restoring items, like Pancakes and Yogurts. Speaking of Yogurt, where on earth do you get Milk from? Mandrapotatoes so far are the biggest dud food item so far because they can only be eaten if cooked with Milk, but Milk is hard to come by and is a Yogurt ingredient!

The bulk of my party's damage is definitely coming from my Fencer's chasers. If you put Amplifier on the front Line and Smokeblight on the enemy, the damage of a chaser increases by like 50%, which goes even higher with Chain Plus, and higher still with Chain Double. It's difficult to justify taking turns to try Poisoning something (except for loot drops) with my Poisoner Botanist because it means giving up the chance at chaser procs with bow attacks.

I wish I had more room in the summon line for my Dragoon to summon more turrets/bunkers. Turrets are noticeably less durable than bunkers, but Line Guarding the summon line to get more turret survivability against foes is funny and surprisingly effective. It's just that it's too much to ask to give up the Rover's dog or the bird.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    In what regard? Is the class lineup they give you bad?

It's actually decent, you get 2 fairly good damagedealers if you build them correctly. But early on you lack damage badly.

• Options
    l_g wrote: »
    Having finished the 3rd Stratum, I'd say so far that the thing I don't like about the Warlock's progression compared to the others is that in the Elemancer branch, you can't unlock a bunch of cool abilities without pushing all 3 of your basic attack spells to level 5, where they go to 12 TP from 7 TP. I'm sorely tempted to put the Hero Band or another TP increasing item on the Warlock, but he's already lacking enough in durability even in the back line.

The Rover's pets are good stuff, but man the Rover's offensive skills cost a lot of TP relative to the Rover's TP pool. Piercing shot at level 1 is 9 TP! The dog gives you so much mileage in the dungeon that I find my food supply is often overflowing, even though I'm converting everything I can into the big TP restoring items, like Pancakes and Yogurts. Speaking of Yogurt, where on earth do you get Milk from? Mandrapotatoes so far are the biggest dud food item so far because they can only be eaten if cooked with Milk, but Milk is hard to come by and is a Yogurt ingredient!

The bulk of my party's damage is definitely coming from my Fencer's chasers. If you put Amplifier on the front Line and Smokeblight on the enemy, the damage of a chaser increases by like 50%, which goes even higher with Chain Plus, and higher still with Chain Double. It's difficult to justify taking turns to try Poisoning something (except for loot drops) with my Poisoner Botanist because it means giving up the chance at chaser procs with bow attacks.

I wish I had more room in the summon line for my Dragoon to summon more turrets/bunkers. Turrets are noticeably less durable than bunkers, but Line Guarding the summon line to get more turret survivability against foes is funny and surprisingly effective. It's just that it's too much to ask to give up the Rover's dog or the bird.
    Any time you push an ability to a new TP cost, I would argue heavily to just bolster it as much as you can before the next TP jump. The damage output from a warlock's basic element spells comparing ranks 4 to 9 is... massive. I mean holy shit. Especially if you work in the chants.

Here's where you get milk from.
    During the 2nd stratum there's a guy you rescue, no quest involved, and he will tell you after running into him a few times about where to find cows on the 2nd stratum. You get one, take it back to the inn, and then whenever Jenetta gives you food items milk will be included. She will never give you food stuffs if your food inventory is full, mind you.

And yes Fencer chases are astronomical in the damage output, especially compared to previous games I feel. Amplifier and Smokeblight are the exact combo I use to bolster my Fencer's output. It's one of the easier synergies to spot and setup. Give your Botanist a bow and wheeeee.

• Options
    Any time you push an ability to a new TP cost, I would argue heavily to just bolster it as much as you can before the next TP jump. The damage output from a warlock's basic element spells comparing ranks 4 to 9 is... massive. I mean holy shit. Especially if you work in the chants.

I'm still at the point where I've got abilities to unlock, and my personal preference is always gaining new abilities over incremental gains on existing ones, even when the accumulated increments are substantial. I definitely agree that once you've breached the TP jump for a given ability, you might as well pump it to the threshold of the next TP jump, but at my stage, 5 levels worth of points would bring me a new ability or two (or more, counting Unions)!

I'm still deciding when the right time to get quick chant is, because the TP cost it adds to the chants is extreme, and at level 1 it basically nullifies the utility of Abating Chant for multiple levels of either.

• Options

I'm still at the point where I've got abilities to unlock, and my personal preference is always gaining new abilities over incremental gains on existing ones, even when the accumulated increments are substantial. I definitely agree that once you've breached the TP jump for a given ability, you might as well pump it to the threshold of the next TP jump, but at my stage, 5 levels worth of points would bring me a new ability or two (or more, counting Unions)!

I'm still deciding when the right time to get quick chant is, because the TP cost it adds to the chants is extreme, and at level 1 it basically nullifies the utility of Abating Chant for multiple levels of either.
    You could always wait for a retire or a rest. Then invest the points right away so the cost is cheaper. I can say that even at level 70, max rank Quick Chant doesn't have much impact on TP costs. What matters most is what rank Chants you're using past that. My level 99 retired team has a warlock with rank 9 Spread Chant. There's no way I'm raising it up to 10 or consider it. The TP cost jumps up by like 10. The % damage gain there isn't as good as going from rank 9 to 10 on the base element spells, which is a 6 TP increase for a bigger boon.

• Options
    Fencer chasing for me is being pretty good in terms of low TP reliable damage. They're not astronomical because I can only reliably proc two chases a turn, but they do decent damage if you hit the weakness and it costs like 4 TP.

I would like to know how the skill that says that creates turrets automatically works, though. Is it specifically when the Dragoon is attacked? Because I can't seem to get it to ever trigger.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Fencer chasing for me is being pretty good in terms of low TP reliable damage. They're not astronomical because I can only reliably proc two chases a turn, but they do decent damage if you hit the weakness and it costs like 4 TP.

I would like to know how the skill that says that creates turrets automatically works, though. Is it specifically when the Dragoon is attacked? Because I can't seem to get it to ever trigger.

Dragoon must be the one being attacked, and I think the hit needs to be guarded or negated. I've been debating how useful it is in the end as a result.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

Dragoon must be the one being attacked, and I think the hit needs to be guarded or negated. I've been debating how useful it is in the end as a result.

...god dammit. Okay, so resting time. That is kind of really useless. I barely have time to even use dragon's Roar as is.

• Options

...god dammit. Okay, so resting time. That is kind of really useless. I barely have time to even use dragon's Roar as is.

Against some enemies that are constantly AOEing the party, I think it's hilarious!

• Options
    I just went through story mode on Etrian Odyssey Untold, learned a lot of hard lessons in that game and had to put up with some frustrating rest grinds. But all that combined with what I learned with EO5, I'm ready to go back to other games in the series and try out classes / builds I'd written off as being too difficult or 'not my style.'

I'm going through story mode on EO2U now. I was doing some research on the skills and am thinking of making an aggressive front line War Magus while putting the Sovereign in the back as my healer. If I can get this setup to work, it'll be time to go to Etrian Odyssey 3 and go crazy with the possibilities that game uniquely had.

• Options
    I cleared the 5th Stratum last night, making this the first Etrian Odyssey game I've actually reached the end credits of on my own....
    .... 6th Stratum whuuuuuuuuut

The 5th Stratum boss looks cool on its own, but it seemed kind of nonsensical. Given the intro to the 5th Stratum, I guess I was just hoping for something that was more interestingly unified with the world in its design and what it does and what it does lore-wise?

• Options
    I cleared the 5th Stratum last night, making this the first Etrian Odyssey game I've actually reached the end credits of on my own....
    .... 6th Stratum whuuuuuuuuut

The 5th Stratum boss looks cool on its own, but it seemed kind of nonsensical. Given the intro to the 5th Stratum, I guess I was just hoping for something that was more interestingly unified with the world in its design and what it does and what it does lore-wise?
    As far as final bosses in the series' stories go, yeah, the 5th stratum boss in EO5 is the most detached / least built up to. EO3 probably does the best job as far as final bosses go.

And yeah, the 6th stratum is fucking intense, easily the best in the series as far as I'm concerned.

• Options
    I made it as far into EOU2 as I ever have (when I first played the game I got stuck at the 4th stratum boss, had bad skill choices for the story party). I've finally got things figured out for the story mode party.

First is that Flavio, the Survivalist, is the only character to put points into a gathering skill for. His will give you gather chances for all the types at once, and if you want more you can use grimoires on your party (in my current party, he has rank 10, Fafnir has 9 through a grimoire, and everyone else has rank 5 via grimoire; 3 collect spots fill my inventory to max so this is excessive). (Oh also rank 10 is as high as that skill goes; boosting it with a grimoire does nothing)

Second is knowing when to jump up to rank 5 on skills (which means TP costs going up). I aimed for the third stratum to finally start pushing most abilities to 5 and up to 9. Some skills depending on the characters I waited for the fourth stratum because they're more TP starved even at this point. A lot of the non-damage based portions of skills don't really see that much growth past level 4, like the buffs.

For combat, first character I'll cover is Bertrand. Obviously as tank I want his defense stuff. Front guard has seen a lot of use, rear guard has seen rare use and I probably haven't needed it. The element defense abilities are priority to chase down up to rank 4 each. On a train ("reclass") when I get more skill points I will push them up to rank 9, but 85% damage resist is powerful enough. Oh also, shield bashing for damage. It is significant damage, especially in cases where Flavio's damage type is weak against a particular enemy.

Next is the Fafnir. I realized this time around that prioritizing his Force Mastery and elemental damage skills is where it's at to make him shine. If you have to pick between Physical Damage Up and Elemental Damage Up, since they don't stack for his abilities, go with the latter. His transformation elemental damage abilities are pure elemental, no physical portion of damage. And that leads to...

Arianna. I finally have come around to liking the healing the Sovereign (Prince/ss) class can do. I honestly see no use for any line commands besides Prevent and Attack. Negotiation and White Noble (healing one / party at the cost of a buff and/or debuff) are pretty great though they are in-combat only. I like Ad Nihilo, not for its damage since that's mediocre, but because it can clear out buffs on the enemy. Morale Boost for faster force gauge building for the party is also amazing. The last piece of the puzzle is Link Order (and Link Order 2 if you want). It's chase element damage, easy to setup. It's pretty significant damage too. But the best part about it and Ad Nihilo is that they are ranged, which means that - while she defaults to the front line - you can move her to the back.

That means you put Chloe in the front. At the end game, she has slightly more armor than the Fafnir does. It may be less than what Arianna has, but that's still enough to justify her being up front. Chloe deserves to be up front because you want her with a sword and using her war blade abilities, not her heals. Though you'll end up with war heal for out of combat healing anyway. War res as well, she will need it (for in and out of combat). The heal mastery thing has a lot more going on than its description implies; it boosts everything about the class except damage directly. Buffs and debuffs get stronger, ailment and bind success rates go up. The keys to her I think are the war edge skills. Like all of them. Binds are important. Debuffing is important. Ailing Slash is the single largest damage skill in the game.

That leaves Flavio. Poor ol' Flavio. I'm tempted to change his class but I'm going to try something new with him. Under his speed increase passive, he gets an ability to basically taunt enemies into attacking in exchange for him getting a high evade rate. Two reasons for that; first is he has an attack that can only be used if he dodges an attack on the previous turn. Second is that there's times where you fight enemies who resist pierce damage but are weak (or at least take normal damage) to bash - that's where Trand comes in (provided you give him an axe... as you should). Aside from that I'd rely on Flavio for using specific ailments if any given one is specifically important. Flank is pretty great too for random encounters. In boss fights he tends to starve on TP.

So many abilities these characters can get seem great on paper but they're pretty big fail traps. All of Arianna's passive healing stuff (not Order Mastery mind you). Trand's abilities under Elemental Def Up, maybe even the ones under Physical too.

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Whoops wrong thread, i thought this was chat.

Orphane on
  • Options
    Slowly making my way through 5, just cleared third stratum. Probably going to rest party and redistribute skill points now.

• Options
    Slowly making my way through 5, just cleared third stratum. Probably going to rest party and redistribute skill points now.
    Fourth stratum seemed easier than the third, as far as my hindsight remembers it. What's your party lineup?

• Options
    Fourth stratum seemed easier than the third, as far as my hindsight remembers it. What's your party lineup?

Cannon dragoon, status harbinger, hawk, elementalist, healer oracle.

Just need to move points around on some of them really.

• Options
    Hybrid_Dolphin87Hybrid_Dolphin87 ScotlandRegistered User regular
    So I got this game for my birthday, its my first EO game and tried the game a little the other day, either the game is going exactly as it should or I suck at it as routinely I get mauled and a good portion of my party get one shotted.

Party is Fencer (earthian), Necro (Celestrian), Rover (therian), Dragoon (earthian), Botanist (Brouni) all at lvl 2.

I've read throughall 11 pages and got some ideas but was hoping someone could boil down some "essential" beginer tips for me?

Thanks in advance.

• Options
    The early levels in EO5 are brutal, and you will occasionally get one or two shot. Armor is actually pretty important in EOV, unlike earlier entries. Learn how enemies act and which ones you need to prioritize killing. Your party composition is also not that synergistic, which could hurt later on. Fencers are amazing damage with a party set up for them, but links need a combination of piercing and element attacks to proc as far as I know. With a necro/botanist/rover backline you might be better served by a masurao or pugilist, depending on preference. The masurao is more damage, but the pugilist gives access to binds.

General gameplay tips would be that using your abilities is paramount. It might feel wasteful to use skills on regular enemies, but the faster things die the less they have time to kill you. The tp regenning union skill combined with food for health recovery means you can be pretty aggressive on skill usage and still explore a fair amount before you have to head back. Skillwise, skills mostly scale linearly except for breakpoints at 5/10. But this higher increase in damage is paid for by vastly higher TP costs. This means that taking a skill to 5/10 is something you might not want to do early on. I stuck to 4 for first stratum, 9 for second and maxed cheap skills out at the third stratum. One of my damagedealers ended up not maxing out one skill until I hit the postgame, since it was incredibly tp hungry.

Passive skills are almost all traps and not worth taking until you have everything active maxed out. There are some exceptions, but in general active skills are king. Dragoon bunkers are very very good early on for soaking dangerous hits, but they can't help with aoe attacks. You might not be able to use them though, since you have a rover animal+necro ghosts taking up the summon spots. With the current party you should probably focus on the hawk instead of the hound since you need reliable damage. Hawk rovers deal excellent single target damage, with one rather good line attack skill. I really liked boosting my hawk early on and just getting a few levels in the damage skills. Most hawk rover skills scale off the hawk stats, not the rovers. The line attack they get early is especially important, since it deals a lot more damage than most alternatives.

For your necromancer poison bomb is incredible for killing FOEs and bosses during the earlygame. I would suggest maxing it out before finishing the first stratum. This does mean the necro will be pretty weak in regular encounters since poison bomb is rather expensive, but it also means that you will be able to kill FOEs a lot easier.

For your dragoon and botanist just go for mitigation/healing, the choices are pretty linear. Line guard is really good, and early levels of single target and line target healing is fine until later. For your fencer I don't really know, I never used the class at all.

Mind you, there are definately other ways to use this party. You could probably go for a damage dragoon and a tank fencer if you wanted to, and dog rover for healing with the botanist focusing on smoke skills. EOV is pretty well balanced and most specs are pretty useful. I'm not entierly sure what to do with a necro in that case, but they do have other skills that are good as well. I just really like smoke bomb since it helps with killing FOEs and bosses.

• Options
    The early levels in EO5 are brutal, and you will occasionally get one or two shot. Armor is actually pretty important in EOV, unlike earlier entries. Learn how enemies act and which ones you need to prioritize killing. Your party composition is also not that synergistic, which could hurt later on. Fencers are amazing damage with a party set up for them, but links need a combination of piercing and element attacks to proc as far as I know. With a necro/botanist/rover backline you might be better served by a masurao or pugilist, depending on preference. The masurao is more damage, but the pugilist gives access to binds.

General gameplay tips would be that using your abilities is paramount. It might feel wasteful to use skills on regular enemies, but the faster things die the less they have time to kill you. The tp regenning union skill combined with food for health recovery means you can be pretty aggressive on skill usage and still explore a fair amount before you have to head back. Skillwise, skills mostly scale linearly except for breakpoints at 5/10. But this higher increase in damage is paid for by vastly higher TP costs. This means that taking a skill to 5/10 is something you might not want to do early on. I stuck to 4 for first stratum, 9 for second and maxed cheap skills out at the third stratum. One of my damagedealers ended up not maxing out one skill until I hit the postgame, since it was incredibly tp hungry.

Passive skills are almost all traps and not worth taking until you have everything active maxed out. There are some exceptions, but in general active skills are king. Dragoon bunkers are very very good early on for soaking dangerous hits, but they can't help with aoe attacks. You might not be able to use them though, since you have a rover animal+necro ghosts taking up the summon spots. With the current party you should probably focus on the hawk instead of the hound since you need reliable damage. Hawk rovers deal excellent single target damage, with one rather good line attack skill. I really liked boosting my hawk early on and just getting a few levels in the damage skills. Most hawk rover skills scale off the hawk stats, not the rovers. The line attack they get early is especially important, since it deals a lot more damage than most alternatives.

For your necromancer poison bomb is incredible for killing FOEs and bosses during the earlygame. I would suggest maxing it out before finishing the first stratum. This does mean the necro will be pretty weak in regular encounters since poison bomb is rather expensive, but it also means that you will be able to kill FOEs a lot easier.

For your dragoon and botanist just go for mitigation/healing, the choices are pretty linear. Line guard is really good, and early levels of single target and line target healing is fine until later. For your fencer I don't really know, I never used the class at all.

Mind you, there are definately other ways to use this party. You could probably go for a damage dragoon and a tank fencer if you wanted to, and dog rover for healing with the botanist focusing on smoke skills. EOV is pretty well balanced and most specs are pretty useful. I'm not entierly sure what to do with a necro in that case, but they do have other skills that are good as well. I just really like smoke bomb since it helps with killing FOEs and bosses.

Man, Thank you for the advice, I think if I'm honest I'm probably going to restart from scratch, delete the save and all.

Would a Dragoon, Pugilist, Masurao, Warlock,Botanist be a more synergistic?

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    A botanist with a bow and the masurao using Armor pierce works well with the warlock to proc a fencer's elemental chasers.

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options

Man, Thank you for the advice, I think if I'm honest I'm probably going to restart from scratch, delete the save and all.

The only class that really need synergy are fencers, due to links only proccing from piercing and same element damage. The above party is actually pretty much what I run, except I have a hawk rover instead of the Masurao. It works pretty well played aggressively at least. My botanist uses more smoke skills than healing in battles. Warlocks are pretty weak earlygame, but it pays off from the third stratum and onwards.

The only real traps in the game are running too many summons (necros really need at least 2 slots for ghosts to be good) and fencer links being somewhat hard to proc. Links being hard to use is very much intentional, since they were somewhat broken in earlier iterations. Apart from that you basically can't go wrong as long as you make sure you can cover different kinds of damage and lockdown. Another common mistake is spreading your skills to wide. You want to take the skills you use to the highest possible point you can afford tpwise as early as possible rather than getting a few points in everything. The exception is your botanist, since the healing skills work pretty well even if barely leveled early on.

If you want to clear the postgame you will need to think a bit more about party compositions and such, but at that point you can level new characters pretty fast to see how they work. For the regular game most compositions are fine. You will die a fair bit, but that is the point of EO. The labyrinth is a dangerous, dangerous place. And you get through it by trial and error and learning from mistakes.

• Options

The only class that really need synergy are fencers, due to links only proccing from piercing and same element damage. The above party is actually pretty much what I run, except I have a hawk rover instead of the Masurao. It works pretty well played aggressively at least. My botanist uses more smoke skills than healing in battles. Warlocks are pretty weak earlygame, but it pays off from the third stratum and onwards.

The only real traps in the game are running too many summons (necros really need at least 2 slots for ghosts to be good) and fencer links being somewhat hard to proc. Links being hard to use is very much intentional, since they were somewhat broken in earlier iterations. Apart from that you basically can't go wrong as long as you make sure you can cover different kinds of damage and lockdown. Another common mistake is spreading your skills to wide. You want to take the skills you use to the highest possible point you can afford tpwise as early as possible rather than getting a few points in everything. The exception is your botanist, since the healing skills work pretty well even if barely leveled early on.

If you want to clear the postgame you will need to think a bit more about party compositions and such, but at that point you can level new characters pretty fast to see how they work. For the regular game most compositions are fine. You will die a fair bit, but that is the point of EO. The labyrinth is a dangerous, dangerous place. And you get through it by trial and error and learning from mistakes.

Passive damage boost skills are sometime also worthwhile at single-point investments. Depends on the skill, really.

But yes, the magic numbers to level active skills to are 4, 9 or 10 depending on what you can afford. And you probably won't be going over 4 until the third stratum, just for TP costs (there are some skills with nonstandard leveling you would want to, e.g. Miasma Armor. Summons for Rover can be that way in the third stratum once you get a +TP accessory, since you can equip that before resting at the inn, summon your pet, then remove it and basically get free TP for that)

The summon classes are Rover, Dragoon, and Necromancer. Rover needs a slot, but only one usually. Dragoon may or may not want slots depending on build (if they build for it, they want 1+), and Necro wants 2-3.

• Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys. Gonna restart everything today and maybe pay a bit more attention to everything.

I’ll let you know my progress.

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    I'd say that keeping everything under level 4 (in terms of most active skills) before the later stratum will completely depend on your adventuring strategy and priorities.

Something to keep in mind keenly is that higher ranked skills are generally not more TP efficient for their effects. It's really hard for a level 10 Fireball skill to match the TP efficiency of a level 4. You gain increased effectiveness per turn. So if you have somehow good TP sustainability or you return to town fairly regularly, you can afford to break past the level 4 barrier and gain more power to one-shot targets before they can do anything. So in the case of the Level 10 vs Level 4 Fireball, yeah, level 10 costs a buttload of TP. But chances are, it's going to terminate whatever it hits. It's all about balance. TP sustainability vs Burst damage capability.

Resting your party is a totally legit thing. Don't be afraid to experiment with skills to see what they do and how you can make use of them; but at the same time acknowledge when something becomes obsolete and prepare to rest and reallocate those skill points.

Also, big thing: Don't get attached to having your party all have the exact same EXP totals. You'll go nuts if you try that with EO5.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Takel wrote: »
    Also, big thing: Don't get attached to having your party all have the exact same EXP totals. You'll go nuts if you try that with EO5.

*went nuts due to that particular personal quirk*

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    So update for those that care,

rolled as discussed above restarted with Dragoon, Pugilist, Masurao, Warlock,Botanist and paid more attention this time to what the game was and wasn't telling me, ensured folks are on the right row and oh my days the game went much better. Pug ate the dirt a few times after a lucky one hit ko but I completed the first floor with little to no issue.

Cant wait to get back in and play more.

Thanks again for all the advice.

• Options
    Yeah, that party should be good to handle most stuff. Dragoon/Botanist is very safe.

• Options
    So update for those that care,

rolled as discussed above restarted with Dragoon, Pugilist, Masurao, Warlock,Botanist and paid more attention this time to what the game was and wasn't telling me, ensured folks are on the right row and oh my days the game went much better. Pug ate the dirt a few times after a lucky one hit ko but I completed the first floor with little to no issue.

Cant wait to get back in and play more.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Another handy tip is that when you come back from a trip to the dungeon, visit the buildings in this order:
    Council -> Bar -> Shop

You get rewards from the Council at certain registration milestones, and you can't register new loots if they aren't in your inventory due to having sold them/given them to quests. Visiting the Bar before the shop is handy because sometimes you wind up having exactly the loot items needed to fulfill a quest, so you can get the quest reward right away. Then you hit the Shop and sell all the loot.

• Options
    Oh yeah don't forget when you have a floor mapped out, register it at the council; you'll be able to start on that floor upon entering the dungeon.

• Options
  • Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    is there a "suggested/recommended" party build for a first timer?

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Maguano wrote: »
    is there a "suggested/recommended" party build for a first timer?

I think it'd definitely be:

Dragoon/damage/damage/Warlock/Botanist

"damage" being any of these classes:
    Masurao, Pugilist, Fencer, Rover, Warlock, Harbinger

- Dragoon's defensive buffs are invaluable
    - Warlock lets you hit all of the main elemental weaknesses with aoe in addition to doing beefy damage
    - Botanist provides strong healing, revive and debuff removal all with no preconditions

You want to be wary of having more than two of the Dragoon/Rover/Necromancer, because the Rover and Necromancer really want to use at least two of the summon slots on the summon line, and you only have three slots available there. Dragoon can still provide great utility without using its Decoy Bunker/Turret, but if you make it regularly do that, it might get in the way.

l_g on