As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Etrian Odyssey: Nexus - When your cat is an absolute unit.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Yeah, you can manage at second stratum.

I do rush poison-skills as much as convenient in every game, because early strata are where poison shines the most.

Honestly, it's good through the 5th stratum in IV - even useful on the final boss.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Say, does WIS affect healing? And if so, does it affect Rover healing?

Steam ID: Right here.
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    It raises the power of healing abilities and reduces damage you take from INT based attacks. In previous games there was a stat called TEC which was a combination of INT and WIS.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Yes, WIS is for healing and for mitigating INT-based damage. But most of Rover's healing is a percentage of the recipient's maximum, or a flat number.
    I think Animal Therapy uses WIS.

• TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Yes, WIS is for healing and for mitigating INT-based damage. But most of Rover's healing is a percentage of the recipient's maximum, or a flat number.
    I think Animal Therapy uses WIS.

Animal Therapy and Brushing, yeah.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
    edited November 2017
    I tried the Stratum 2 boss to check it out.

It seems... doable? Far less pressure than the giraffes, certainly. I got it down to 1/3 HP or so before my TP started to run out and the fight broke. I think I might need to get more damage to break that shield before it heals too much or I just run out of everything.

Drascin on
  • TakelTakel Registered User regular
    The Stratum 2 boss
    is weak against Volt type damage. Head binds when it's gone into wing shield mode also prevents it from healing.
    If you have access to it, Chain Blast to head bind it on the first wing shield can assist a lot, and as your TP runs low and on your less effective attackers, you can use volt oils to convert their basic attacks to volt type damage, which will probably be better than whatever skill they have otherwise. Or when you run low on TP. If you wait too long, the random head binds from the rover's falcon will stack the bind resistance too high for chain blast to connect.

The boss and the shield mechanic really is a case where you do want a level 9 primary attack skill because you need to burst out the damage to prevent healing. It may be worth resting the party to do a skill reconfiguration if necessary.

As a side note; guns do deal piercing damage. Dragoon skills are bash, but the standard attack and I believe counter-attacks will be piercing.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
    edited November 2017
    Takel wrote: »
    The Stratum 2 boss
    is weak against Volt type damage. Head binds when it's gone into wing shield mode also prevents it from healing.
    If you have access to it, Chain Blast to head bind it on the first wing shield can assist a lot, and as your TP runs low and on your less effective attackers, you can use volt oils to convert their basic attacks to volt type damage, which will probably be better than whatever skill they have otherwise. Or when you run low on TP. If you wait too long, the random head binds from the rover's falcon will stack the bind resistance too high for chain blast to connect.

The boss and the shield mechanic really is a case where you do want a level 9 primary attack skill because you need to burst out the damage to prevent healing. It may be worth resting the party to do a skill reconfiguration if necessary.

As a side note; guns do deal piercing damage. Dragoon skills are bash, but the standard attack and I believe counter-attacks will be piercing.
    They are not. Believe me, I checked. I have spent the entire game up to here with a Fencer and a Dragoon in the main party and the Fencer has never chased a Dragoon attack.

And yeah, I mostly have the problem that the only one that deals reasonable damage during shield is Marcille, the Warlock. Fencer, Dragoon, and Rover just kind of look on and cheerlead, while the Pugilist tries in vain to punch it in the head. And I did not raise any of her three magic spells above 4 on the simple reason of TP management and me wanting to actually have juice to explore floors normally. But I might have to rest her and go full on Lightning focus.

My Rover is a dog rover, not a falcon Rover, though.

Drascin on
    Hmmm, looking at the atk icon for guns... yeah that's bash.. hmmm... Guess I never looked too hard at it since the combat animation is the same as a piercing attack and not needing to worry too much about the damage type.

Shock Oils are made from Cracked Nuts, so it shouldn't be too hard to farm up a supply for them. You're really going to need to maximise chain damage because that's all you really have, and a level 4 Lightning isn't too hot in damage so I kinda fear for your damage output if that's your best.

I've never had much success with getting binds to stick at the exact moment I needed them except in EO4 with a Sniper/Arcanist that's stacked on Luck. You're probably better off with Thunder Fist if shield mode goes up and a bind isn't already on there. Also, check if Thunder Fists' recoil damage procs Blood Wrath. If it does, adding Shock Oil would be a nasty combo for that boss.

It's kinda handy having a point or so to be able to have both pets out. The falcon does do a bit of damage on its own without any supporting skill and Target Arrow is a nice attack.

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    my party seems Real Good right now, in stratum 4.

Masurao (one sword) / Masurao (multi sword) / Pugilist (bind)
    Rover (dog) / Dragoon (shield)

Strategy is basically: Pugilist applies every bind, Rover can assist with foot bind.
    Sword Master can either foot sweep -> multiple turns of helm splitters, or wait for a leg bind.
    Dog Rover provides passive healing and capitalizes on leg binds, while Dragoon runs one bunker (usually automatic) and defense form.
    I'm running the blade dancer with 3 swords and heavy armor, which seems like the best way to do it, otherwise she just dies to everything.

I was thinking of running cannon dragoon, because shield dragoon really doesn't do much when the party all has okay bulk,
    but... the big damage skill requires space at the front for max damage, and bunkers are good when they actually draw attacks.

Hmmm, looking at the atk icon for guns... yeah that's bash.. hmmm... Guess I never looked too hard at it since the combat animation is the same as a piercing attack and not needing to worry too much about the damage type.

Shock Oils are made from Cracked Nuts, so it shouldn't be too hard to farm up a supply for them. You're really going to need to maximise chain damage because that's all you really have, and a level 4 Lightning isn't too hot in damage so I kinda fear for your damage output if that's your best.

I've never had much success with getting binds to stick at the exact moment I needed them except in EO4 with a Sniper/Arcanist that's stacked on Luck. You're probably better off with Thunder Fist if shield mode goes up and a bind isn't already on there. Also, check if Thunder Fists' recoil damage procs Blood Wrath. If it does, adding Shock Oil would be a nasty combo for that boss.

It's kinda handy having a point or so to be able to have both pets out. The falcon does do a bit of damage on its own without any supporting skill and Target Arrow is a nice attack.
    I mean, most of the time, the damage output is kind of okay. The pugilist has one-two punch at 9, and chaining lightning twice to thrice a turn does okay. Thing is, the shield basically destroys any physical damage entirely. I go from chain volt hitting for 140 a proc to like 28, and the punches basically bounce off. So only the warlock can deal realistic damage during shield, and there's where I found the problem.

Both the warlock and the fencer have a pile of points to spend though. Pugilist doesn't, because raising all the punches cost points. Didn't even think of picking up the overheat skill - I do not have enough healing for "bleed a percentage of your health per attack" to sound appealing.

I'll keep the bird thing in mind. It's less space for bunkers though!

• OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017

shock oils aren't as effective on h ippogriff as you'd think since wing guard reduces any str-based source of dmg, which is pretty much 98% of all attack skills on classes that aren't shaman/warlock/necromancer

basically it has to use int as its modifier to deal full damage vs wing guard

Orphane on
    Experimented on whether you could drop an oil on a pet to make their basic attacks chase-able by Fencer. Signs point to no. The game lets you spend the oil but does not seem to actually imbue the attacks with the element.

They probably just eat it.

• chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    They probably just eat it.

From my experience with dogs, this checks out.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    Okay, I just kind of went "fuck it" and spent all my points. I wanted to save some to splurge when I unlocked the Master trees, but screw it, I want to get through.
    And so I positively annihilated the Hippogriff. As it turns out, the power was in me all along. Helped that I brought a handful of Hamaos to keep my Warlock going - I wish I had amritas, but since the dragoon has free turns she could take care of that. The ability to just go Quick Chant+Lightning whenever it went shield, and just use normal lightning otherwise, made a world of difference, as did bringing a few Volt Jars and Oils so the other guys could keep Chito chaining whenever there was an opening.

Course, a lot of these skills are of questionable utility in terms of actual stratum exploration, but hey. Sacrifices.

Drascin wrote: »
    Okay, I just kind of went "fuck it" and spent all my points. I wanted to save some to splurge when I unlocked the Master trees, but screw it, I want to get through.
    And so I positively annihilated the Hippogriff. As it turns out, the power was in me all along. Helped that I brought a handful of Hamaos to keep my Warlock going - I wish I had amritas, but since the dragoon has free turns she could take care of that. The ability to just go Quick Chant+Lightning whenever it went shield, and just use normal lightning otherwise, made a world of difference, as did bringing a few Volt Jars and Oils so the other guys could keep Chito chaining whenever there was an opening.

Course, a lot of these skills are of questionable utility in terms of actual stratum exploration, but hey. Sacrifices.

Resting is cheap.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    There's no need to save points. Resting only costs a couple levels and quests can make up for that.

Henroid wrote: »
    There's no need to save points. Resting only costs a couple levels and quests can make up for that.

Quests are kind of one-time though. Also, it really bothers me when my party is different levels!

Quests are kind of one-time though. Also, it really bothers me when my party is different levels!
    Now that I will agree with hands down. In these games if someone dies during a battle, I try not to reset. BUT if someone dies in a substantial battle with a ton of XP on the line, I reset.

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    You can catch them up pretty easily now with the dlc quest, though. Just drop the rest from the group and go kill one monster on the 1st floor.

edited November 2017
    The DLC-quests give away as much as you want, whenever you want. The danger is the catcherupper outlevelling the rest in one go.

PLA on
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

Now that I will agree with hands down. In these games if someone dies during a battle, I try not to reset. BUT if someone dies in a substantial battle with a ton of XP on the line, I reset.

I give in to the compulsion to reset if the battle ends with a party member dead. Gotta be even!

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    I just did the wizard experience quest a few times. I'd feel like it's cheating, buuuuut I've already done this.

Wizard quest?

• OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    Wizard quest?

Dlc xp quest

Orphane wrote: »
    Wizard quest?

Dlc xp quest
    Yeah. @Drascin in the game menu you can go to "download" which takes you to a software-built-in eShop (the actual eShop won't show you these things). They have a few DLC packs. Like six of them are for character portraits, but there's the FM Synth pack and a couple of quests you can buy. They are repeatable.

The Wizard XP quest gives you an equippable trinket that boosts XP earned and Wisdom by 20. All you have to do is win a battle, any battle, and turn it in. It awards 30k experience every time. And yes you get a copy of the trinket every time you take up the quest.

The other quest is pretty similar. It gives you a trinket that boosts item drop rate to 100%. Win a battle, then turn it in. Instead of the huge XP reward, you get money based on the highest floor you've reached in the game so far.

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Wizard quest?

Dlc xp quest
    Yeah. @Drascin in the game menu you can go to "download" which takes you to a software-built-in eShop (the actual eShop won't show you these things). They have a few DLC packs. Like six of them are for character portraits, but there's the FM Synth pack and a couple of quests you can buy. They are repeatable.

The Wizard XP quest gives you an equippable trinket that boosts XP earned and Wisdom by 20. All you have to do is win a battle, any battle, and turn it in. It awards 30k experience every time. And yes you get a copy of the trinket every time you take up the quest.

The other quest is pretty similar. It gives you a trinket that boosts item drop rate to 100%. Win a battle, then turn it in. Instead of the huge XP reward, you get money based on the highest floor you've reached in the game so far.

I'm assuming the item doesn't give you the conditional drops without procing the condition... yea?

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Wizard quest?

Dlc xp quest

I'm assuming the item doesn't give you the conditional drops without procing the condition... yea?

Can't imagine it does. That's what formaldehyde is for.

Tcheldor wrote: »
    Wizard quest?

Dlc xp quest
    Yeah. Drascin in the game menu you can go to "download" which takes you to a software-built-in eShop (the actual eShop won't show you these things). They have a few DLC packs. Like six of them are for character portraits, but there's the FM Synth pack and a couple of quests you can buy. They are repeatable.

No, the ring in question will not give you conditionals automatically.

That sounds like it would get dangerously tempting to abuse :P.

Still, having a way to catch people up fast IS tempting...

It's only as abusive as much as you choose to use it.

Hence "tempting". It's one of those Faustian things. You can only doom yourself if you so choose, it just makes it easier and more convenient to do so :P.

edited December 2017
    Woo. Stratum 2 boss one-shotted. Seeine people mention focus chanted lightning made it easier... because it was a very near thing.

Third stratum design is... wow.

Polaritie on
    Yeah the 3rd stratum, to me, was the "slow your roll" one this time around. In previous games it's usually the 4th stratum that goes "it's nice that you got used to things but now the enemies can fuck you up again."

I just mean I wasn't expecting the aesthetic of it. I haven't fought anything on it yet - going to get my party to 30 and retire first probably. It's almost as jarring as the original 5th stratum (which I will still not name despite Untold ruining the surprise).

• FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    The third stratum is not expected at all. The aestethic and the music combine into something that is pretty amazing.

And I found the presentation for the fifth/sixth stratum to be as good as the fifth stratum of EO1. EO5 probably has the best strata overall out of all the games, the only ones that I didn't love was the first and fourth. And first stratum is always the same thing, so is easily forgiven. And the fourth looks really cool at start but lacks variety.

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    The third stratum is not expected at all. The aestethic and the music combine into something that is pretty amazing.

And I found the presentation for the fifth/sixth stratum to be as good as the fifth stratum of EO1. EO5 probably has the best strata overall out of all the games, the only ones that I didn't love was the first and fourth. And first stratum is always the same thing, so is easily forgiven. And the fourth looks really cool at start but lacks variety.

4 has some neat game play mechanics at least.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    edited December 2017
    The 4th stratum was the most annoying to create a clear mapping schema for

Takel on
    I need to continue with this. It's just that my mom has basically kidnapped my DS to play Kirby.

Also that I have no idea how to continue building my guys. Also naming titles for my party is hard (I tend to spend over an hour between opening an Etrian game and actually seeing dungeon because naming a party is hard).
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Woo. Stratum 2 boss one-shotted. Seeine people mention focus chanted lightning made it easier... because it was a very near thing.

Third stratum design is... wow.

Quick Focus Chant Lightning really does help a lot. It made all the difference for me. TP-intensive as all the fucks though.