As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics] Supreme Court rules on interprovincial sour grapes

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    They are also selling insane quantities of weed at higher than street value, I'm guessing there is profit

edit: for example the dispensary I use, had a contest in october, to win a gram of every weed that came in that month, to enter you had to spend over 100$.

There were easily hundreds of entries in that container

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    For real, a small storefront that sells weed at $11.50/g must surely make money hand over fucking fist

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Then that's gotta be a price bubble, right? Over time, as stores establish themselves legally, prices are going to deflate.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    Then that's gotta be a price bubble, right? Over time, as stores establish themselves legally, prices are going to deflate.

That'll depend on how supply and demand + taxes shakes out, which is very dependent on how the regulation shakes out.

If supply is constrained by regulation, then prices will remain high. If not, then they may drop, but then again, the government may want a bigger bite of the vice tax over time.

• Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    I wonder how many of these dispensaries are actually profitable, and how many of them are just speculative/surviving on a price bubble right now.

I wonder how many are being used for money laundering before any actual regulations come into being. The island has way too many for them to being turning a profit. Kind of like vape stores.

Like amarikkos in view royal. I swear that place is a front. No one eats there.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Heard about the Paradise Papers? It's another massive leak of documents about offshore finances. Specifically for Canada, it appears the Liberal party's chief fundraiser is part of a giant offshore web moving millions of dollars out of the country. This is breaking now. There's your next big controversy. Be glad you'll only have this one/few, rather than non-stop endless new BS.

Mayabird on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Is the National Post doing okay? When the hell did they switch over to Wordpress as their platform O_o

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    Is the National Post doing okay? When the hell did they switch over to Wordpress as their platform O_o

The National Post is a rag and has never been doing ok.

• Options
    CorporateGoonCorporateGoon Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Heard about the Paradise Papers? It's another massive leak of documents about offshore finances. Specifically for Canada, it appears the Liberal party's chief fundraiser is part of a giant offshore web moving millions of dollars out of the country. This is breaking now. There's your next big controversy. Be glad you'll only have this one/few, rather than non-stop endless new BS.

It'll go the same as every controversy: The Tories will yell about Trudeau being out of touch for two weeks or so, no one else will give a crap, the people actually accused (or ultimately not accused) of wrongdoing will have their lawyers fight things out for 3-12 years and maybe pay a small fine, and since this involves a couple prominent Jewish families, a somewhat higher percentage of the comments on the articles will mention globalists.

A few opposition backbenchers will put forward half-assed private member's bills, but at no point will there be any serious legislation proposed that might close whatever loopholes may have been exploited.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    In a completely unforseen twist, political newcomer Valérie Plante defeats Denis Codère and becomes the new mayor of Montreal, and that city's first female mayor.

sig.gif
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

Postmedia has been haemorrhaging employees at a pretty fast clip for years, now.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    KetBra wrote: »

Postmedia has been haemorrhaging employees at a pretty fast clip for years, now.

Oh, that would explain it then. Shows how much I actually read it.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Richy wrote: »
    In a completely unforseen twist, political newcomer Valérie Plante defeats Denis Codère and becomes the new mayor of Montreal, and that city's first female mayor.

This seems pretty decent, at least going by the article. Jealous of that transit improvement pledge :(

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    Anti-Wynne ads in Ontario are fucking insufferable.

If I knew nothing else about the Conservative parties of Canada, I would hate them for their ads alone.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    It's depressing that they're one of the two or three choices of any significance everywhere in the country, but in terms of communicating their policies they're exclusively focused on "the other guy's evil! Evil evil evil! Evil!"

I can't articulate how much I hate the trend in the last several years of issuing attack ads continuously even outside of election campaigns.

• Options
    It's depressing and insufferable, but it works.

I saw a study a couple of weeks ago that took groups of liberal and conservative voters. For liberal voters, it asked them first to do a visualization exercise of all the ways they could die soon, of all the things that could go wrong, and then it gave them a standard political opinion quiz. For the conservative voters, it asked them to visualize themselves as Superman, being invincible and superpowered, and then gave them the opinion quiz. The results were that liberal voters' opinions showed a strong right-shift, and conservative voters' opinions showed a strong left-shift. tl;dr: being scared makes you conservative. And these ads are designed to remind the moderate-right and the fanatics that they should be fucking terrified on Wynn. It will solidify their base vote and drive them to the polls.

In addition, it washes over the rest of the population until it becomes a constant. A norm. The background noise. Until "Wynn is evil" is the new standard, the starting point of any political discussion.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    That study sounds interesting. Do you have any more info on it? Did they reverse the visualizations (ie tell liberal voters to imagine they are superman then give the quiz, tell conservatives to visualize death then give the quiz)?

• Options
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    That study sounds interesting. Do you have any more info on it? Did they reverse the visualizations (ie tell liberal voters to imagine they are superman then give the quiz, tell conservatives to visualize death then give the quiz)?

Here's the IFLS summary of the story, with links to various sources. I over-simplied a bit in my post, in that it was actually several studies, not just one, but the conclusions are accurate and the point stands.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Woo, federal by-election season! We have 4 new ones scheduled for December 11th; one each in BC, Saskatchewan, Newfoundland, & Ontario to replace vacant seats previously held by Dianne Watts (stepped down to run provincially), Gerry Ritz (retired), Judy Foote (stepped down due to family illness), & Arnold Chan (passed away), respectively.

Characters
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I heard on the radio that cost wise scrapping site C or continuing were a wash but I can't seem to find any articles.

For non-BC'ers Site C is a massive hydroelectric project that is a political football right now. It was pushed under the liberal govt. but now with the NDP/Green in there's a push to scrap it.

I'm in agreement that by the late 2020's and early 2030's we aren't going to need it ourselves because of increases in green energy footprint and technology but I would rather move forward with it just in case. Worst case is we sell energy to the states. Environmentally it's not great though no massive project is.

My prediction is that it gets killed so the govt. can stay together but we'll see.

If anyone finds an up to date synopsis of where things stand (the utility commissions report is out already) I'd be interested in seeing it.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    You can find the report here

http://www.sitecinquiry.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/11-01-2017-BCUC-Site-C-Inquiry-Final-Report.pdf

The conclusion section lays out the findings pretty well, but it is important to read them keeping in mind the assumptions used for the analysis. As the final paragraph says, if the scenarios end up being different then that could impact the cost-benefit for Site C versus Alternate Energy sources. This is a bit different from the headlines I've seen reported, because it seems that most reporters lacked the reading comprehension to understand, or wanted to push a certain narrative. Which is a shame, because the report only came down hard on the side of not having a project suspension but that isn't how it's being reported. These things are complicated and for policy decisions it is important for the public to understand that. It is easier to keep things simple so they can become one line wedge issues.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    In other BC news, I have a sick feeling from what's going on at the farm in Salmon Arm that we have another Pickton situation. vancouversun.com/news/crime/curtis-wayne-sagmoen-as-rcmp-search-his-parents-farm-people-who-know-him-are-speaking-out

:so_raven:
  • Options
    Aridhol wrote: »
    I heard on the radio that cost wise scrapping site C or continuing were a wash but I can't seem to find any articles.

For non-BC'ers Site C is a massive hydroelectric project that is a political football right now. It was pushed under the liberal govt. but now with the NDP/Green in there's a push to scrap it.

I'm in agreement that by the late 2020's and early 2030's we aren't going to need it ourselves because of increases in green energy footprint and technology but I would rather move forward with it just in case. Worst case is we sell energy to the states. Environmentally it's not great though no massive project is.

My prediction is that it gets killed so the govt. can stay together but we'll see.

If anyone finds an up to date synopsis of where things stand (the utility commissions report is out already) I'd be interested in seeing it.

What's BC power production like right now? The hydro could phase out other sources too, not necessarily add to them.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Our power in BC is already almost entirely hydro-electric.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    edited November 2017

What's BC power production like right now? The hydro could phase out other sources too, not necessarily add to them.

From https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/sites/www.nrcan.gc.ca/files/energy/pdf/EnergyFactBook_2016_17_En.pdf

On page 95 there are charts showing the energy generation sources in BC as of 2014.

h68sgofveeoa.png

As of 2014, 95% of all the electricity used in the province was generated through hydroelectric generating stations. The BC Hydro Wikipedia page has lots of useful info in one place, but this information can probably be dug up elsewhere too.

Note that natural gas is also used for home heating and many other uses in addition to hydro power for electricity. Natural gas, where available, is generally much cheaper for home furnaces and hot water tanks.

To expand on the other half of your question, Site C is mostly aimed at looking to future power demands and expanding capacity in advance. Most electricity in the province is from hydro power. The argument for Site C, is that to avoid having to import electricity at some point in the future, additional generation capacity is required and Site C is one such option. As per the report in my previous post, another option is multiple smaller scale projects that have less individual impact on the provincial power generation, but come with smaller price tags and local impacts as well. The BC Utilities Commission report gets into a fair bit of detail behind these options and the advantages/disadvantages behind them.

Caedwyr on
  • Options
    That PEI line is like, "oh yea, they would use that wouldn't they."

Characters
  • Options
    Something to note, is that table is "electricity generation" while the 95% statistic is "energy use". Similar, but slightly different as we also export a lot of the hydroelectric power, but not necessarily electricity from some of the other generation systems due to how they are used (site specific generation for an industrial site like a gas compressor station), or how they are connected to the electrical grid.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular

Here's the IFLS summary of the story, with links to various sources. I over-simplied a bit in my post, in that it was actually several studies, not just one, but the conclusions are accurate and the point stands.

Huh, the Cons gave us more reasons than I could count to be scared, even dredging up some super racist stuff, last federal election. But it didn't work, right?

Do you think the constant background noise of "Be afraid, be very afraid!" works better on a provincial level than federally or is it something that somehow resonates more rurally than urban... I wonder...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    As per the report in my previous post, another option is multiple smaller scale projects that have less individual impact on the provincial power generation, but come with smaller price tags and local impacts as well.

I know that is what I would prefer in BC, I think we could stand to have a far less centralized grid that used far more micro-generation projects, just so that we don't have all our eggs in one basket for things like an earthquake/tsunami or hell, even just the winter storms we go through. Not only that, but if we got better at solutions for our more remote communities, that could be a huge boon not only for our Green tech sectors but also in economic infrastructural drivers right across BC.

BC as a place is notoriously hard to get good infrastructure into and out of.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I think that rural areas are more susceptible to fear like that because their life is, how do I put it, more fragile? There are a lot of safety nets and better services in urban areas, so disasters or accidents are easier to recover from. If you live in a pretty isolated area, it's a lot easier for things to go wrong and harder to recover.

Or at least that's how I think it works, I could be wrong as I am not a social scientist or anything of the sort.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    As per the report in my previous post, another option is multiple smaller scale projects that have less individual impact on the provincial power generation, but come with smaller price tags and local impacts as well.

I know that is what I would prefer in BC, I think we could stand to have a far less centralized grid that used far more micro-generation projects, just so that we don't have all our eggs in one basket for things like an earthquake/tsunami or hell, even just the winter storms we go through. Not only that, but if we got better at solutions for our more remote communities, that could be a huge boon not only for our Green tech sectors but also in economic infrastructural drivers right across BC.

One of the potential game changes for smaller scale decentralized systems is the affordable proliferation of local storage systems (i.e. home battery packs). From what I've been told, the technology is on the cusp right now and changes in the building code/incentive programs could push them into more widespread adoption that would change the type of power generation requirements substantially. And like you said, it makes the system more robust if there is a mixture of large scale hydro that transports electricity over long distances and smaller scale micro generation that is located close to the usage point.

• Options

One of the potential game changes for smaller scale decentralized systems is the affordable proliferation of local storage systems (i.e. home battery packs). From what I've been told, the technology is on the cusp right now and changes in the building code/incentive programs could push them into more widespread adoption that would change the type of power generation requirements substantially. And like you said, it makes the system more robust if there is a mixture of large scale hydro that transports electricity over long distances and smaller scale micro generation that is located close to the usage point.

I don't know of many places that have managed decentralized power systems well though. There are a lot of issues with the idea, such as the integrated nature of power distribution networks, the need for redundancy and oversupply, daily and seasonal fluctuations in power consumption, the nature of of how brownouts occur, the fact that the natural supply/demand curve is going to come in at less than 100% supply, etc..

I mean, I suppose you can have a centralized authority running a decentralized system, but that's pretty counter-intuitive, for obvious reasons.

• Options
    Good point. It seems that the barrier to adoption isn't necessarily technological, but rather regulatory and organizational. That could put adoption of such a system off longer.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I think it would be quite nice if every house / business had local storage that primarily existed to handle surges of demand. That way you wouldn't need as many expensive small power plants that can ramp up quickly to meet demand, and could use the more efficient baseline power more effectively. I'm not sure how feasible a system like that would be, though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    I think it would be quite nice if every house / business had local storage that primarily existed to handle surges of demand. That way you wouldn't need as many expensive small power plants that can ramp up quickly to meet demand, and could use the more efficient baseline power more effectively. I'm not sure how feasible a system like that would be, though.

It would be neat to mandate or rebate all new builds with something like a tesla power wall that you can program to kick in at peak times and charge via green sources or at least off-peak times.

at 180 pagesn for that report I'm gonna have to read that over the next couple days.

• Options

Huh, the Cons gave us more reasons than I could count to be scared, even dredging up some super racist stuff, last federal election. But it didn't work, right?

Do you think the constant background noise of "Be afraid, be very afraid!" works better on a provincial level than federally or is it something that somehow resonates more rurally than urban... I wonder...

It worked fine for the rest of Harper's tenure. It's how they crushed all the previous candidates. It's not 100% effective though. Eventually people just got tired of Harper.

• Options
    Good point. It seems that the barrier to adoption isn't necessarily technological, but rather regulatory and organizational. That could put adoption of such a system off longer.

It's totally technological too. Battery tech has been "just on the cusp" of not sucking for ages now. It never really materializes sadly.

• Options
    chrisnl wrote: »

It would be neat to mandate or rebate all new builds with something like a tesla power wall that you can program to kick in at peak times and charge via green sources or at least off-peak times.

at 180 pagesn for that report I'm gonna have to read that over the next couple days.
    shryke wrote: »

It's totally technological too. Battery tech has been "just on the cusp" of not sucking for ages now. It never really materializes sadly.

A few years ago, I read several papers about the potential of household storage batteries to balance power loads, reducing peak demand and possibly allowing for a shift to more green technologies (which can be intermittent, like solar and wind). But yeah. One of those things where people have had the idea for a long time but we've never actually gotten batteries sufficient for the purpose. (Also, possibly our power consumption rates keep rising too.)

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular

It worked fine for the rest of Harper's tenure. It's how they crushed all the previous candidates. It's not 100% effective though. Eventually people just got tired of Harper.

Didn’t help that they had an ad that finally kinda went too far. The ‘nice hair’ ad was the breaking point. It was so bad, the liberals copied it as a parody.

• Options
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »

Didn’t help that they had an ad that finally kinda went too far. The ‘nice hair’ ad was the breaking point. It was so bad, the liberals copied it as a parody.

I think they also overestimated how much mainstream Canadians are scared of immigrants. While I'm sure their "scary immigrant hotline" proposal played well with their Reform base, it was ridiculed nationally.

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.