As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics] Supreme Court rules on interprovincial sour grapes

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Ill just keep making 5 gallon batches of cider and giving them to friends.

We're friends, right?

Ill keep you guys in mind when I do my next batch. I tend to make a batch, bottle them, drink and give away bottles, get the bottles back then make another batch.

if you are looking into starting up brewing and your in Calgary check out The Home Vintner http://www.thehomevintner.com/
    good stuff, and the owners are quite knowledgeable.

I was going to wine kitz previously and had picked up some Cider kits to make when I didnt have apples to process (which is most of the time) Kits are ok, if you just want to dip your toes in. Picking up cider from farmers markets is also good if you dont want to process apples but that can be pricey.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    Edmonton makes better home brew anyway.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    Never had homebrew beer, but homemade wine (including growing the grapes) was a yearly family tradition. But then, Italian.

Also homemade grappa, but I'm pretty sure that was pretty illegal on account of the explosion risk. Grandparents can be stubborn.

The older I get, the more and more I appreciate old people who have run out of fucks to give.

It gives me something to look forwards to in my golden years. :)

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    hawkbox wrote: »
    Edmonton makes better home brew anyway.

Hahaha, so silly!
    Imma cut you!

• Options
    I have more than enough bottles around to make a hobo shiv to take you on with! And an award winning Doppelbock to celebrate with!

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    hawkbox wrote: »
    I have more than enough bottles around to make a hobo shiv to take you on with! And an award winning Doppelbock to celebrate with!
    file_560468_greylede_09212011_170838.jpg

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular

We're friends, right?

Ill keep you guys in mind when I do my next batch. I tend to make a batch, bottle them, drink and give away bottles, get the bottles back then make another batch.

if you are looking into starting up brewing and your in Calgary check out The Home Vintner http://www.thehomevintner.com/

I was going to wine kitz previously and had picked up some Cider kits to make when I didnt have apples to process (which is most of the time) Kits are ok, if you just want to dip your toes in. Picking up cider from farmers markets is also good if you dont want to process apples but that can be pricey.

How hard is it to do cider vs beer homebrew style?

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular

We're friends, right?

How hard is it to do cider vs beer homebrew style?

From what I've heard, cider is actually easier than beer. Found here's a brewing site that had someone ask the exact same question!

https://homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/cider-vs-beer-brewing-diffs.315194/

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    Fundamentally, cider and mead is "Have liquid with sugar in it, add yeast". With cider, you start with fruit juice, add sugar, pour in yeast, wait. With mead, add honey to water, pour in yeast, wait.

Beer requires creating a mash by heating the grain in water at very specific temperatures, then boiling while adding hops, then rapidly cooling with a chiller. THEN pour in yeast, wait.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I brew my own, or used to rather (summer activity), and it's pretty satisfying to create something tasty that fits your pallet specifically.

Never made cider or wine though I imagine it's similar.

Its easy to make beer. Its harder to make good beer and it's very hard to make good beer consistently.

An y'all are crazy if you think you're coming out ahead of the PNW brew scene :)

• Options
    edited April 2018
    The hardest part of cider is dealing with the damned apples. If you can find just straight up apple juice in the store buy a bunch of it, toss in some yeast, and you'll have cider. Doing more will make it better but that's all there is to it.

This is a super easy, allegedly tasty cider recipe. http://brulosophy.com/2017/12/14/bru-it-yourself-sparkling-hard-berry-cider/

hawkbox on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    This wrote: »
    I think we've had the discussion about alcohol control here in the past, and I remember being pretty surprised by the amount of support in the thread for the puritanical ideology at the heart of how most provinces in Canada deal with it.

Right now I'm living in a place where you can buy beer, wine, scotch, and even a Bailey's Coffee at any 7-11 or equivalent (which are everywhere) at any time of day or night. It's just more civilized. It's great. And society has not collapsed.

Granted, the actual selection of beer and wine at these places is not all that exciting.

Why would you be surprised? The LCBO works great. So does the SAQ. Supplementing it with some beer or wine sales at a grocery store or dep is fine too. Overall I've never had a complaint with the system so why wouldn't we support the system if it works fine and also helps fund the government? Basically all the complaints I've ever seen about these systems come down to situations where I just don't give a shit about whatever the supposed issue is.

Also "puritanical ideology" is a really weird way to characterize the current incarnations of government run alcohol sales. The LCBO fucking advertises for christ's sake. It's a scheme to make money off a very common vice while also presumably reducing to some extent consumption which is, frankly, not a bad thing either since the overall effects of alcohol are kinda bad.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    I think we've had the discussion about alcohol control here in the past, and I remember being pretty surprised by the amount of support in the thread for the puritanical ideology at the heart of how most provinces in Canada deal with it.

Right now I'm living in a place where you can buy beer, wine, scotch, and even a Bailey's Coffee at any 7-11 or equivalent (which are everywhere) at any time of day or night. It's just more civilized. It's great. And society has not collapsed.

Granted, the actual selection of beer and wine at these places is not all that exciting.

Why would you be surprised? The LCBO works great. So does the SAQ. Supplementing it with some beer or wine sales at a grocery store or dep is fine too. Overall I've never had a complaint with the system so why wouldn't we support the system if it works fine and also helps fund the government? Basically all the complaints I've ever seen about these systems come down to situations where I just don't give a shit about whatever the supposed issue is.

Also "puritanical ideology" is a really weird way to characterize the current incarnations of government run alcohol sales. The LCBO fucking advertises for christ's sake. It's a scheme to make money off a very common vice while also presumably reducing to some extent consumption which is, frankly, not a bad thing either since the overall effects of alcohol are kinda bad.

Last time we had the alcohol debate, IIRC, most of the thread was opposed to selling alcohol in grocery stores or convenience stores because think of the children. I believe this is what @This refers to. I remember it surprised me, at least.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

Last time we had the alcohol debate, IIRC, most of the thread was opposed to selling alcohol in grocery stores or convenience stores because think of the children. I believe this is what @This refers to. I remember it surprised me, at least.

Was it think of the children or more of, let's not go out of our way to increase availability and accessibility of alcohol for people with bad planning and impulse control.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    I definitely like the NSLC model. They have locations everywhere, they're generally well stocked and well kept, they do a good job of promoting local items (and giving them a province-wide market), and the staff are generally knowledgeable and helpful. I also quite like that it puts a good chunk of change back into the provincial budget.
    We do allow wine sales outside of NSLC stores, and there are a number of exceptions for beer. I wouldn't be opposed to allowing beer sales elsewhere, but overall I'm perfectly content with the current system.

• Options

Last time we had the alcohol debate, IIRC, most of the thread was opposed to selling alcohol in grocery stores or convenience stores because think of the children. I believe this is what This refers to. I remember it surprised me, at least.

Was it think of the children or more of, let's not go out of our way to increase availability and accessibility of alcohol for people with bad planning and impulse control.

This implies you are restricting access to people who suddenly realise they need a beer at a time where the LCBO or Beer Store is either no longer open or not easily reachable but a convenience store is.

Regarding the former, Google tells me that a typical LCBO or Beer Store closes between 9pm and 10pm. In Québec, stores are not allowed to sell alcohol after 11pm. So you are removing the convenience of buying alcohol at grocery and convenience stores from everyone, to protect society from people who need to buy alcohol during that critical 10pm to 11pm window? Seems puritan to me. And for the latter, the only case I can imagine where a Beer Store or LCBO would not be easily reachable is if you live pretty far out in a rural area, so you're not restricting alcohol from people at risk but from farmers.

sig.gif
  • Options

Or we can treat people like adults and let them buy booze whenever they feel like it.

you know, like most of the world.

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Speaking of travelling abroad, I did rather like the alcohol situation in London. The little Tesco or Sainsbury's express grocery stores had a whole cooler of pre-mixed drinks that were £1 each. They also had beer, wine, and cider.

I mean in all my time back in Alberta, I've never lived more than walking distance away from at least two liquor stores open until 2AM every night. So there's that.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Decius wrote: »
    Speaking of travelling abroad, I did rather like the alcohol situation in London. The little Tesco or Sainsbury's express grocery stores had a whole cooler of pre-mixed drinks that were £1 each. They also had beer, wine, and cider.

I mean in all my time back in Alberta, I've never lived more than walking distance away from at least two liquor stores open until 2AM every night. So there's that.

How do you deal with your rampant alcoholism as a result of that? /S

• Options
    edited April 2018
    In England? By having another pint. Actually the same for Alberta.

We may have a problem...

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Hey! I don't have a drinking problem! You are!

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    NO DRINKING PROBLEM YOU'RE THE DRINKING PROBLEM!

This is reminding me about the best part of my Calgary trip for a week of Microsoft training though:

http://craftbeermarket.ca/calgary/downtown

That place single-handedly took my per diems, had to buy my own dinners. Microsoft covered breakfast and lunch so huzzah MORE BEER!

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Ok, a few points here. "Puritanical". You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means. As befits it's origin, puritanical means relating to moral or religious behaviour. Which is not the basis for any argument anyone has made on the subject. The only basis used beyond "because I like the money going to the government" is based around the negative societal effects of alcohol consumption, which is not an argument based in morality or religion any more then a social safety net is. The links between alcohol availability and various alcohol related issues seem, from anything I've ever read, to be fairly well established with the only question being the degree or the correlation (that one is a bit all over the place).

When it comes to like 10pm vs 11pm or something I just ... don't give a shit? I'm not gonna argue on that grounds that said extra hour is gonna be some measurable amount worse, I just don't care that you can't buy alcohol after 10pm so I'm fine either way.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

Or we can treat people like adults and let them buy booze whenever they feel like it.

you know, like most of the world.

Adults are inconsiderate assholes when given free reign.

Try driving in a major metropolis during rush hour, and see the shenanigans that people will inflict on one another when nothing more than fractions of a second are at stake in an already highly regulated task like driving.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »
    NO DRINKING PROBLEM YOU'RE THE DRINKING PROBLEM!

This is reminding me about the best part of my Calgary trip for a week of Microsoft training though:

http://craftbeermarket.ca/calgary/downtown

That place single-handedly took my per diems, had to buy my own dinners. Microsoft covered breakfast and lunch so huzzah MORE BEER!

Heh, going to the edmonton location tonight. Right now eating a donut at the donut mill.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    Re: liquor in grocery stores, most of the NL Liquor stores I’ve seen are either very close to, or in the same building as, grocery stores. The latter ones are a separate storefront, but they’re connected so you don’t even have to go outside to get your stuff. Seems to work quite well.

GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Curious what you'd all say about gambling while we're at it. Provinces regulate that too, though you can buy lottery tickets cross-border and casinos are open 24-7.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    Curious what you'd all say about gambling while we're at it. Provinces regulate that too, though you can buy lottery tickets cross-border and casinos are open 24-7.

Only thing I hate with a passion is VLT machines, and more so when they are in pubs and bars.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    hippofant wrote: »

I don't generally have a problem with what person's of majority age engage in.
    I have zero problems with when they choose to engage in it.

The impact to healthcare argument would be a lot stronger if we stopped allowing a fucking McDonalds every 500m.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    My argument against liquor in grocery stores is that it's wholly redundant. Government stores are exceptionally well stocked and have perfectly fair hours (9PM Mon-Sat, 5PM Sun, and most everything closes early on Sunday so that's not a "booze is evil" argument). A grocery store is going to have one isle, maybe a corner of the store if you're lucky. And statistically speaking, their selection will probably be junk. Cases of the most popular beer, maybe Crown/Club/Baileys and that's it. Now I will say I don't have experience with every single provincial government, so if your province has super shitty liquor stores, then hey you got a case. My suggestion though would be to yell at the government and get them to step up and improve the stores though, not just sell beer at Superstore.

And at this point, no liquor in the grocery store has kind of become a national quirk at this point that I like. One of the things that sets us apart from the Americans. It's not something I'd raise a massive stink about if it were to happen tomorrow. By that same token though, I really don't give a shit about it, and any attempts of claiming how horribly oppressive it is, and how we gotta fight back for our freedom to buy booze... just make me roll my eyes. Back in Victoria, the liquor stores closed at 11PM while the mall it was attached to closed at 9. My ability to buy shoes was technically more restricted than buying beer.

And again, if you don't have that luxury in your area, then fight to get it. Because it's a pretty great luxury.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    You've defined it as fair and adequate on your terms. There are some of us that disagree with you.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    To be clear, American alcohol regulations are actually by state. So some Grocery stores have alcohol, some have none, and some only have wine or beer.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    PEI threatens to cut off New Brunswick’s potato shipments unless they approve new potato pipeline
    Meanwhile, Peter Pence, a Pokeshaw potato pipeline protester is pretty pumped to pester provincial plans unless police pepperspray prevents perfectly peaceful protests.

The producer of this perfect prose shoud be presented with a Pulitzer.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    I feel like he could still have worked something in instead of unless. Pending perhaps, or rephrase with provided

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Pending was definitely the word to use there.

Edit: It would need slight editing of meaning, yea.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited April 2018
  • Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    To be clear, American alcohol regulations are actually by state. So some Grocery stores have alcohol, some have none, and some only have wine or beer.

Hell, some of the regulations are by county. The Jack Daniel's major operational distillery is located famously in a dry county. That'd be like living in Edmonton, and not being to buy alcohol in St. Albert because Sturgeon County forbade it.

It's a good thing there's lots of Catholics in that area...

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    So the Liberals held their convention in Halifax over the past few days. Among other things, apparently they're flirting with a national pharmacare program and basic guaranteed income now. I don't know if either of those will stick, but it would certainly be interesting to see. Many also saw this as the Liberals sort of gearing up for the next election, especially with the tone of Trudeau's keynote speech, and if so, it's encouraging to see them veering to the left on a number of issues.
    Again, we'll wait and see if it actually lasts. As someone who is generally an NDP supporter, I certainly wouldn't mind the federal Liberals making an effort to shift the political window a bit to the left.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Wonder how big a sweep could be had running on a dental coverage platform atm. Think last poll had it at around 60% of Canadians cannot afford dental care?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Yeah, I think pharmacare and adding dental would sway a lot more people without the baggage of the right's rhetoric on basic guaranteed income. We'll see, but I don't think Canada is ready for that.

This discussion has been closed.