Options

[For Honor] Year 3 begins with Shugoki rework. Vortiger released

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    So I've been slacking. Season 4 is over and Ubisoft is preparing their first post Season Pass content drop.

Season 5 begins on Feb. 15, titled Age of Wolves

https://youtu.be/pIhl_m8eH4M

What this means
    Dedicated Servers! Yup, they're finally arriving.

Massive character reworks. They did the smart thing and instead of just leading right in to more "Buy our heroes!" They're taking time to rework weak launch heroes. Mentioned specifically are Kensei, Berserker, and Conqueror. New moves, combos, mixups. Basically these characters did not have enough safe ways to open enemies, which is what they want to address. My guess is quick unblockables, as that is how the DLC characters have gone.

Gear Refinement. Instead of adding a new level of rarity, they're adding something they call "An extra edge." Probably just a way to burn salvage or items for a minor percent boost to stats.

Player Progression. You will be able to spend salvage for a next match xp boost. The screen in the video shows that you can spend 500 salvage for an extra 250xp for yourself and 50xp for teammates at the end of the match, with the salvage price going up the more you do it, but reseting each day. So with a full team you could get an extra 400xp for match, or half a low payout quest. Depending on the rate of salvage price increase, this could be a nice way to power through those painful early rep levels.

Training. Revamped training, with a narrative. Ends in an Arena mode. Looks like your proper fighting game practice mode, showing damage and whatnot.

Other bits. Effects on individual emotes and executions, instead of one for all. Tribute will be the ranked mode.
    Strategy points on Faction War map. More xp, loot, and/or war assets when playing matches on owned territory.

So yeah, looks interesting.

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    this sounds pretty awesome, we'll see how it works in practice

• Options
    Season 5 still set for the 15th, dedicated servers will roll out on the 19th

New executions added this week.

https://youtu.be/uvMqNja8VhI

So many great ones.

• Options
    Server maintenance for season five begins in about an hour. For now look at the in depth update for the Conqueror

• Options
    And also Kensei

And Berserker

And then some core changes

Like no more gb confirm after parry.

Yeah. This season is gonna be interesting.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    How is the lawbringer these days? I stopped playing before his first balance patch, and he was kinda suboptimal to say the least at launch. I heard that he was buffed and was too good for awhile, and presumably more changes have happened to him since then but I've been completely out of the loop on updates

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    How is the lawbringer these days? I stopped playing before his first balance patch, and he was kinda suboptimal to say the least at launch. I heard that he was buffed and was too good for awhile, and presumably more changes have happened to him since then but I've been completely out of the loop on updates

With the new fight changes, lawbringer is going to be quite powerful. All his moves are guarentee'd off parry, which puts him on real strong footing post patch.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Wow, I did not expect those Conq changes. Last time I played him I felt so inadequate against all the other fighters having so many options, so many things to do against me, and I was confined to my cookie-cutter moves.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Konphujun wrote: »

With the new fight changes, lawbringer is going to be quite powerful. All his moves are guarentee'd off parry, which puts him on real strong footing post patch.

All!?!? That's impressive. It does makes me a bit more concerned about the "Wargames" problem where the winning move is not to attack. I thought that they were trying to make it so that turtling was less advantageous? I suppose the aforementioned removal of confirmed GB on parries is a portion of that.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Patch is live

3D4F79B9FB9EBC89BCE8013A7C4C8A7F47257711

• Options
    Gonna try the conq changes in dominion

• Options
    i'm waiting until the 19th to try everything

• Options
    Everything is Conquerors and Kensei

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Docshifty, that conqueror is straight outta' Tristram.

• Options
    i just realized dedicated server are tomorrow and i may actually have time to play.

i'm sorry in advance everyone, but it is destined to be down all day now

• Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    I hope we get an announcement soon for when consoles are getting dedicated servers.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    I hope we get an announcement soon for when consoles are getting dedicated servers.

i had assumed they were tomorrow as well....that's unfortunate

• Options
    edited February 2018

They said it's PC only (for now) because they can patch on the fly if they run into problems, whereas all patches on Xbox/PS4 have to get approved first and generally take up to a week for that approval.

Which makes perfect sense - still a bummer having to wait, though.

Undead Monkey on
  • Options

They said it's PC only (for now) because they can patch on the fly if they run into problems, whereas all patches on Xbox/PS4 have to get approved first and generally take up to a week for that approval.

Which makes perfect sense - still a bummer having to wait, though.

yeah it makes sense. just got the wrong idea stuck in my head

• Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    Ok, so parry changes, Highlander buffs have me back at this game. Anyone on Xbone still wanting a person to duel vs or team up with for brawls/4v4?

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    @WingedWeasel and anyone else waiting for dedicated servers on console:
    At 9AM EST (14:00 UTC) tomorrow we will switch PS4 and Xbox One versions of the game to Dedicated Servers!

• Options
    At 9AM EST (14:00 UTC) tomorrow we will switch PS4 and Xbox One versions of the game to Dedicated Servers!

was coming to post that. pretty excited. hopefully i can get some games in this week, but likely going to have to wait until next weekend hashtagsadface

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

Hopefully this would make the new event less rage inducing. It's one thing for it to be challenging, it's another for both times I'm on a team that's actually close to winning for it to disconnect me.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So for balance reasons I stopped playing before they added any of the new classes, I still like the idea of this game though and it was fun early on for me, how healthy is the community still and how tough is it to pick back up with all the new classes and class mechanics?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    I haven't sat down and played it for a good chumk of time for a while, but basically every reason we all cited for quitting has been addressed.

Matches didn't take too long to find, but keep in mind a lot of the dlc characters are built around quick unblockables to open people up. Obviously this can make them difficult yo fight against.

Conqs just got a lot of changes. Can shield bash after lights, lights and heavies can change for an infinite combo, the charge melee is now an unblockable, if you manage to block in allblock you can throw a heavy unblockable. Lot of interesting stuff.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So far my experience from a couple rounds of Dominion

I think I'll be alright

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    How are the dedicated servers faring? Is the experience overall better?

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    How are the dedicated servers faring? Is the experience overall better?

In my experience after coming back over the free weekend, much (MUCH!) better.

• Options
    This game would really, really benefit from the game mixing teams after every round. I am absolutely not encouraged to play another round after an abysmal loss knowing the teams will be the same. Why would I want to go back in with a team that has demonstrably failed to put up a fight against our opponents?

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Sorry to double post but I was wondering if there were a particular discord that people playing this were hanging out? I was thinking of doing some duels or brawls with PA folks, and the general PA discord doesn't have anything specific for For Honor.

Also is anyone else hoping that if/when they introduce more classes, the next one for the Knights is actually like, a medieval Knight of some variety? Don't get me wrong, Romans are cool and I love their aesthetic, but I'd love to see another Legion character of some variety with the Knight look and lore.

Edit:
    2 Classes I absolutely despise fighting are the Shugoki and the Centurion. I hate the Shugoki because I can never get the timing to parry their stupid unblockables which seem to have infinite range so I can never dodge them either. And whenever I get guard broken it feels like the smash thing is instant and I don't even get a chance to push back against it.

The Centurion is just anti-fun, IMO. A million unblockables, if you get remotely cornered you're totally fucked, and once you get hit once it feels like there's no way out of their chains of unblockables, leap attacks, and shoves. I know you're supposed to dodge to the side or parry or whatever but the timing on their attacks is so frustrating and a lot of the time it feels like dodging does fuck and all to prevent getting hit by the kick or the uppercut.

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    So *cough* Sorry to uh... TRIPLE post

but Season 6 has started, with some changes to the Peacekeeper and Orochi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOEbYLJrdL4

https://forhonor.ubisoft.com/game/en-us/news-community/152-323298-16/season-6-fighter-update-orochi

https://forhonor.ubisoft.com/game/en-us/news-community/152-323301-16/season-6-fighter-update-peacekeeper

My opinion on the Peacekeeper is that I find her heavies' slowness is still a bit of a problem for her, even with the dagger cancel the fact is that, for example, her dodge heavies are basically pointless against an opponent who is paying attention.

As for the Orochi I ironically haven't tried her out yet, I've been trying to play Knight classes for the Faction War (a lost cause, I'm Samurai and we seem to have the fewest players and obviously a lot of people who went Samurai want to play Samurai characters, and new Orochi is right there...)

I also like the look of the new outfit exclusive stuff, especially the Medusa. Pig is cool too. I do like that they've given the mook soldiers a new look for the new season, it's cool.

Anyway, I will reiterate that I'd love to play some duels or brawls with PA folks.

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • Options
    BladeOfSanjuroBladeOfSanjuro Registered User regular
    This game would really, really benefit from the game mixing teams after every round. I am absolutely not encouraged to play another round after an abysmal loss knowing the teams will be the same. Why would I want to go back in with a team that has demonstrably failed to put up a fight against our opponents?

Yeah I find that kinda weird, cause Ghost Recon, another Ubi title, seems to do that whenever there isn't specifically premade teams. Wonder if FH is just rife with premades at this point for the team modes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Yeah I find that kinda weird, cause Ghost Recon, another Ubi title, seems to do that whenever there isn't specifically premade teams. Wonder if FH is just rife with premades at this point for the team modes.

I don't think this is necessarily the case, though premades are the cause of some of the bad matchmaking IMO, but I've definitely had a match where most of the other team left and no one on our team left, and when the room filled up again the people on my team were still on my team, which leads me to believe it doesn't mix the teams at all. Which seems odd.

• Options
    In my experience the teams never fill up again. It seems to stay bots forever.

• Options
    https://youtu.be/Z0c0CuV5jT4

Has what looks like a quick sneak peek of someone wielding a scimitar

• Options
    That looks like a falchion to me, I usually think of Scimitars as being more curved than that, but it could be either. I guess it's academic though, it would sort of determine which faction they'd be in (I'd expect the Knights to be more likely to have someone with a Falchion, and the Samurai more likely to have someone with a Scimitar

15th-century-falchion~608849.jpg

Falchion

51eROvllggL._SL1000_.jpg

Scimitar

• Options
    A lot of the speculation is a new Arabian style faction.

Have to wait for their E3 announcements I guess.

• Options
    Docshifty wrote: »
    A lot of the speculation is a new Arabian style faction.

Have to wait for their E3 announcements I guess.

Would they introduce a new faction at this point or push for a sequel for that sort of thing?

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    If they brought the fixed balance issues into a sequel I'd be down to play it. The game was really fun but wore thin after a while.

• Options
    Considering Siege is in its third year of DLC I doubt yearly sequels are what they're looking for right now. I can imagine "we fixed all the issues with the game now buy the sequel" only going bad for them.

A new faction would probably be a full year roll out if they did it though.