Options

[For Honor] Year 3 begins with Shugoki rework. Vortiger released

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »
    Considering Siege is in its third year of DLC I doubt yearly sequels are what they're looking for right now. I can imagine "we fixed all the issues with the game now buy the sequel" only going bad for them.

A new faction would probably be a full year roll out if they did it though.

I think there has been a healthy enough of a playerbase to keep up with that though. The migration from this game was staggering.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    While a significant number of people decided to leave I think it's maintained a solid core audience and there's been some upward fluctuations as people checked in to see how it was going and a good number deciding to stay, and they said they're going to use E3 to try and reach out and gain a stronger audience with the changes.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    Have they done anything about the pace of matches, yet? I really liked 1v1 but was bouncing off the walls during those stupid dramatic intros every round.

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    i really want to jump in again, but i have yet to get the opportunity due to real life

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So it's not really that important as a balance thing overall but

man I sort of wish they would find a way to balance out the faction war thing. Maybe it's just how it's been lately but I feel like the Norse have been... very dominant. And since you can never change factions AFAIK that isn't likely to change unless we do get an influx of tons of new people, and most of them choose Samurai or Knights.
    Dusda wrote: »
    Have they done anything about the pace of matches, yet? I really liked 1v1 but was bouncing off the walls during those stupid dramatic intros every round.

I'll admit this is still one of my major complaints, the amount of time it spends uselessly faffing about in ending, new round stuff, being unable to skip a lot of shit post round when you want to check your hero or vote on the map, and in game the frankly gratuitous amount of time it spends on you dying. Yes game I get it this guy spent a bunch of steel on his cool execution and flair he wants to show off his hell-kill explosion stab. But I don't want to spend 5 seconds watching it and then another 5 seconds staring at my corpse before I can shift my camera to some other view.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    Though I can't find a quote, they did say the have big announcements for the game that don't involve a sequel of any kind (yet).

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    You can indeed change your faction but if you do so during a season I believe it locks you out of rewards. There was a fun little bug at the end of season 1 where you could change faction and get all three rewards.

• Options
    For Honor is capable of carving out an acceptable healthy player base, but I don't think it'll ever get near that initial first month size, which I think saw a lot of people unknowingly buying a fighting game that was marketed as medieval action multiplayer.

• Options
    So E3 has revealed a fourth faction and a new game mode
    https://youtu.be/V0yD2WcL9dM

Some Breach footage
    https://youtu.be/IAgERnDdOoU

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Warring States (?) China! If I had to guess what faction they would've added...it would've been that, or possibly something attached to the Golden Horde (which is adjacent in some sense).

• Options
    I'm pretty excited about it, and I like that they've evened out the European and Asian inspired nations. I'm looking forward to the single player thing and learning if they were the old enemy of the Samurai who drove them out of their homes originally. I also hope they only have one gender-locked class, if any.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    I'm kind of shocked that For Honor is still going. In this era of cynical development cycles, I pegged FH for an early grave, but nah, they continue to support it. Almost like they love and believe in their game.

What a novelty!

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    I also hope they only have one gender-locked class, if any.

The three existing factions do, so I don't see why they wouldn't.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »

Because they've finally listened to all the people saying "Please have less gender locked classes?" I mean, it would be nice...

Anyway mostly I just want to continue my trend of always playing lady warriors, and also they've been really good about making the male and female versions of all their classes equal in terms of pseudo-realism/appropriately cool armor and I would like to see more of that with the Chinese faction, though I can understand that making two models, even if they share many assets, and having two voice actors even for short lines, can add to development time and budget, though I don't know how much that affects their decision.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Ubisoft is like that, this also happened with The Division and even Rainbow Six Siege. They truly believe in their game, keep injecting money into it and end up with pretty good games. Unfortunately for them, the casual gamer will only retain their impression from the game at launch.

I say this because both the Division 2 and For Honor reveals in E3, most people on the stream chat would say stuff about the game's launch, completely ignoring how they've improved post launch. Ubisoft needs to improve on launching less than functioning games.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Yeah,

For Honor: Kinda blah at launch, patched to be good fun.
    The Division: Kinda blah at launch, patched to be good fun.
    Wild Lands: Kinda blah at launch, patched to be good fun.
    Siege: Kinda blah at launch, patched to be good fun.

So I'm totally happy that they actually stuck with these games and worked hard to improve them in a surprisingly not-greedy manner, but I hope for future releases they kind of go for "good fun" right out the gate.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    They're all the opposite of Destiny 2.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Heck, I very distinctly remember being completely convinced that they had abandoned The Division at one point. After launch, and after the first "expansion", the game saw no progress at all, and almost no communication from Ubi about it. I think that's when they changed some leadership around? Because the game suddenly got a lot of support from one day to the next.

• Options

Because they've finally listened to all the people saying "Please have less gender locked classes?" I mean, it would be nice...

Anyway mostly I just want to continue my trend of always playing lady warriors, and also they've been really good about making the male and female versions of all their classes equal in terms of pseudo-realism/appropriately cool armor and I would like to see more of that with the Chinese faction, though I can understand that making two models, even if they share many assets, and having two voice actors even for short lines, can add to development time and budget, though I don't know how much that affects their decision.

Hmm, that's a good point. I supposed it was a way to make certain classes feel more...distinctive? My mainstay is a female Orochi (I'm convinced the Orochi, unlike the Kensei, is "default" female) and Nobushi in a distant second.

One of the classes is "Nu xia", 女俠, as far as I can tell--which is almost literally "heroine". So....I'm thinking that will be locked female? And I guess the Shaolin monk will be locked male?

• Options

Hmm, that's a good point. I supposed it was a way to make certain classes feel more...distinctive? My mainstay is a female Orochi (I'm convinced the Orochi, unlike the Kensei, is "default" female) and Nobushi in a distant second.

One of the classes is "Nu xia", 女俠, as far as I can tell--which is almost literally "heroine". So....I'm thinking that will be locked female? And I guess the Shaolin monk will be locked male?

That could be cool. I'm hoping they don't lock the Jiang Jun or Tiandi into being male. Well the Tiandi is a vanguard so it's unlikely they will be.

• Options
    Played some with @AvalonGuard yesterday.

I don't know how much was our matchmaking skill decaying since we haven't really played in a while, the free week flooding the servers with new People, and actual game improvements, but it was loads of fun and I am looking forward to more.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »
    Played some with @AvalonGuard yesterday.

I don't know how much was our matchmaking skill decaying since we haven't really played in a while, the free week flooding the servers with new People, and actual game improvements, but it was loads of fun and I am looking forward to more.

Yeah, I just started back up on the ps4 and I'm not good at this game, but the people I've been playing are worse. It's great. Warlord is still silly

• Options
    How is the PC version with a controller? Is it supported, but you're better off with kbam?

• Options
    How is the PC version with a controller? Is it supported, but you're better off with kbam?

It's fully supported and I greatly prefer it over KB/M.

• Options
    What's the difference between starter and standard version? I can't quite get get snything on the steam page from my phone. I never have the opportunity to play on my console to maybe on PC

• Options
    What's the difference between starter and standard version? I can't quite get get snything on the steam page from my phone. I never have the opportunity to play on my console to maybe on PC

If you've seen the R6: Siege starter and standard editions, it's the same principle.

Cheaper up front cost but it takes a lot more in-game currency (earned through playing or real money) to unlock heroes. If you think you're going to be playing awhile and know you want to play more than a couple heroes, I'd definitely go standard when it's sale.

• Options
    I'll have to look closer when I get to my desktop. I only play a handful of characters so it might save me a few bucks. Or maybe I can wait it out for a sale

• Options
    I will say, Steel in For Honor comes I feel at a much faster pace than Renown in Siege, so the starter edition might not be as punishing.

But then, I dropped 100 on For Honor preorder because I was so hyped about it that I could definitely be skewed, and haven't had any direct experience with the starter edition.

I will say that the game is currently deeply discounted and the starter edition is free on uplay right now until the 18th. So play that, decide if you like it, and take advantage of the sale. The base game gets decent sales from time to time as well.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Hey, I always wanted to try For Honor but never managed to snag it in a sale. Free is a nice price.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    There's good indications all but one of the new Chinese factions classes are gender locked, two for male and one female, if the background character blog thing is a reliable indicator, as only the Tiandi has two backgrounds for male and female versions.

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • Options
    CyrenicCyrenic Registered User regular
    I played a ridiculous amount of this game over the weekend. Playing the starter edition, but I don't feel like I'm missing out on much. Characters in this game take so long to learn, by the time I'm ready to try something new I've got 8000 steel to spend on another character.

I'm still pretty awful at the game, but I can usually get some kills with the conqueror now. If anybody knows of some good learning resources for this game, please share them! Occasionally I find a good video for an individual character but I haven't found any really good general guides yet.

• Options
    The conq used to work basically only against people that didn't know how-to avoid her strengths.

After the big rework, I'm pretty sure that's still mostly true.

• Options
    I do find I struggle playing the conq in my own skill level, they just lack the tools to adequately punish a lot of strategies I feel. It might help if the timing for the superior block heavy was less finicky.

• Options
    Cyrenic wrote: »
    I played a ridiculous amount of this game over the weekend. Playing the starter edition, but I don't feel like I'm missing out on much. Characters in this game take so long to learn, by the time I'm ready to try something new I've got 8000 steel to spend on another character.

I'm still pretty awful at the game, but I can usually get some kills with the conqueror now. If anybody knows of some good learning resources for this game, please share them! Occasionally I find a good video for an individual character but I haven't found any really good general guides yet.

The main FH subreddit is mostly filled with memes and fluff content, but the competitive FH sub at https://www.reddit.com/r/CompetitiveForHonor/ has a lot of good resources for learning various things.

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    started playing this again after a long hiatus

lawbringer is still super fun to play, if very uneven matchups

also started learning highlander and i think his kit might be the most broken/op?

full crushing counters, full unblockables, mixups off a dodge, insane grab and insane kick, and huge health and damage

it feels good to be king

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    also if anyone wants to play on pc or ps4 hit me up! i got the free version on pc and almost all the dlc on consoles

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Strippin' has a lot of gameplay of two of the classes, and even a moveset breakdown with Roman on his twitch

Docshifty on
  • Options
    ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    started playing this again after a long hiatus

lawbringer is still super fun to play, if very uneven matchups

also started learning highlander and i think his kit might be the most broken/op?

full crushing counters, full unblockables, mixups off a dodge, insane grab and insane kick, and huge health and damage

it feels good to be king
    On PC Highlander is very good but not the best. Kick and caber toss will take you a long way before you even need to worry about the rest of the kit, most people won't avoid either even if they're a class with good options to fight it.

Console I've got no clue other than I keep hearing from a friend who plays on both Aramusha goes from one of if not the worst PC classes to the best due to how easy Aramusha can keep the pressure at 30FPS. Offensive stance lights being as fast as they are on top of the other stuff probably make Highlander a colossal pain on console.

For a game that suffers from a serious dose of 3S/MvC2/etc. style tiering that affects every level of play AND the higher the FPS the easier it is to react to everything (playing on PC is infinitely easier at 60+FPS compared to the console) it's still a lot of fun.

• Options
    CyrenicCyrenic Registered User regular
    I have some salvage crates. I think I remember reading they give you gear above the level you normally get? I'm not very high level yet with any of my characters, should I wait before opening them?

• Options
    edited June 2018
    I generally haven't been opening mine much, I hear you should wait until you start getting like reputation 10 for legendary items, but I don't think it matters a huge amount of you're getting them at a fair rate.

I've started using the Kiai with the orochi and I kind of feel bad about it? Like I feel kind of cheap when I do it.

Lord_Asmodeus on