As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Jobs]: The Reason People Are Stuck In Airports

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    That wasn't meant to be demeaning or insulting!

I had one class come in to work on the computers, but besides that I had one or two T.A.'s every period who just did their own thing.

The last period I ended up chatting with the T.A.'s about spiders for thirty minutes?

It was great!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    It was much appreciated because last Friday I subbed for a third grade class, and I almost lost it.

I was so close to going full Kindergarten Cop on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YYmS7NL3Po

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    That wasn't meant to be demeaning or insulting!

I had one class come in to work on the computers, but besides that I had one or two T.A.'s every period who just did their own thing.

The last period I ended up chatting with the T.A.'s about spiders for thirty minutes?

It was great!

Yeah library subs never really do much. Like we all have library paraprofessionals and such who actually know what to do they just need a certified teacher in the room by law so when a librarian needs a sub it is always a cushy job for that sub since everything runs itself.

My sub plans are pretty laughable and basically just say, stay out of these other people’s way and chill out all day while getting paid.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Drez wrote: »
    LaOs wrote: »
    What would cause the trailer to be so wet?

Water.

Bert1970.jpg

Butler on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    "Do you have a room on DATE"

"Sorry, but we are fully booked that day"

"Is there something going on that weekend? I was hoping to come up for VERY LARGE EVENT and all the hotels they suggested were already full."

744uab6cqw89.jpg

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Stuck in the airport again and, again, no lye croissants. Why am I even here?

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Got GRE scores cause I'm considering grad school. 88th percentile on verbal, 69th percentile on quant, 98th percentil on writing

nice

• Options
    Also there is is an ad for corporate tax evasion running on in of the monitors, I think.

• Options
    AngelinaAngelina Registered User regular
    One of the managers at work found it funny how much I was smiling last night. Mate, it's the last shift before my annual leave, any time nobody's looking I'm dancing around this place. 10 days of peace from the music that's played all night long in the store despite it being closed. 10 days without subtly sexist remarks because they've never had women on the night shift before. 10 days of actually getting to sleep next to my partner. Yey!

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    bowen wrote: »
    It always bothered me in gremlins because HOW DO YOU KNOW

also, gizmo seems to be a friendly mogwai and the rest are evil

does that mean gizmo would be a friendly gremlin if he transformed?

Gizmo's an adult. The other ones are just normal toddlers.

Calica on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    boss changed her ringtone yesterday

I might have listened to the song once sometime last year? On the other hand, it could easily have been over a decade. Still, I recognized Trapt's Headstrong instantly. I am so grateful my brain stored that information.

---

I'll drop this here because the conversations about it happened at work

I had about 3 separate conversations yesterday about the length of my hair, and people are always so curious to know how long it's been growing. I don't really store that information, so I had to cross-reference. I knew I had shaved my head sometime in 2014; I knew it was just before October of that year; and I knew the reason - a childhood cancer event held on the national mall.

Looked it up this morning: CureFest 2014, a two-day event over September 20th (meet-up, vigil), and 21st (organized walk, festival). Exactly 3 years on; how weird is that?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

interesting

but feeding kids any time of the day turns them into gremlins

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    This teacher keeps saying entente wrong but I think I waited too long to kindly correct her.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    Can any UKers explain this for me: "Anglican church, of the Catholic tradition, serving the Church of England Parish"

How can a church be all of those??

Thank you.

@Liiya In that sense catholic is probably being used in the sense of universal rather than as part of Pope Francis's deal. It's part of the Nicene creed and is an old usage of the word. I know US Methodists include it in their version as well and young DA asked very similar questions once upon a time.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Calica wrote: »

I thought it was the opposite. Gizmo is a child, Gremlins are the adult stage.

Gizmo is Peter Pan, with the dark twist that he's literally murdering adulthood.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Tamin wrote: »

I might have listened to the song once sometime last year? On the other hand, it could easily have been over a decade. Still, I recognized Trapt's Headstrong instantly. I am so grateful my brain stored that information.

This is why I keep my ringtone to an inocuance sound that is impossible to miss, like my current ducks quacking. It keeps me from telling everyone I have terrible taste in music, and no one is upset when my phone does ring.

Edit: I've also used cawing crows, but that sound gets on some people's nerves in a really bad way

Veevee on
  • Options
    Stuck in another airport. I realized that I haven't been here on a Friday afternoon before. So crowded.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    This teacher keeps saying entente wrong but I think I waited too long to kindly correct her.

Are they just adding an extra syllable to the actual pronunciation, or going full Inglorious Basterds on it?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »

This is why I keep my ringtone to an inocuance sound that is impossible to miss, like my current ducks quacking. It keeps me from telling everyone I have terrible taste in music, and no one is upset when my phone does ring.

Edit: I've also used cawing crows, but that sound gets on some people's nerves in a really bad way

My ringtone is my favourite bird call, the purple crested turaco. I changed it to that because I never recognised the default tone so didn't notice it ringing and would miss all my calls. Now I have the same problem in reverse, where I always notice it but it just makes me go "Ooh, turaco!" and start looking around for the bird.

(for the curious:)
    https://youtu.be/ZfAwFPanPdg

• Options
    Jedoc wrote: »

Are they just adding an extra syllable to the actual pronunciation, or going full Inglorious Basterds on it?

Ahn-Tahnt-Tay

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Ahn-Tahnt-Tay

Ent-ent-eh? (Canadian discussing a Tolkien book...)

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I just had to explain to someone at the deli how to make a goddamn sandwich. I said 5 times "I want it heated with the cheese melted."

I kept saying it because he kept not heating the chicken and cheese which is typically the first step.

He started putting condiments on and I said again "I don't want the condiments heated, just the chicken and cheese."

So he takes like 5 minutes to put ketchup and mayo and salt and pepper on the top part of the bread. I'm thinking this is unorthodox but okay. He's just gonna heat the bottom part.

Then he just starts wrapping it up! I'm like dude I said five times I wanted it heated!

How do you work at a deli and not understand basic sandwichmaking?

I hate being that guy that gets pissy at a food place but it took him 20 minutes to make the simplest sandwich in the known universe despite my incessant handholding.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Heated mayo is gross

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    You know, I've had management pegged all wrong this whole time. They're actually super smart uber geniuses and I never realized.

Their solution to the big lot of returns has been to pull off about 50 meters of wire off of each and the re-wrap the bobbins to ship back out again, still on the rusty reels.

Surely there is nothing that can go wrong with this immaculate plan.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Heated mayo is gross

Exactly! I had to literally explain this to the guy and he had to half-remake the sandwich.

Now I'm 20 minutes late back to work and don't have time to eat it before my meeting in 10 minutes. Yay! I try not to get bent out of shape over stupid shit like this but I was really annoyed. I do not like having my limited free time wasted in this way.

Drez on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    You know, I've had management pegged all wrong this whole time. They're actually super smart uber geniuses and I never realized.

Their solution to the big lot of returns has been to pull off about 50 meters of wire off of each and the re-wrap the bobbins to ship back out again, still on the rusty reels.

Please, for the sake of your safety and our sanity, get the Samsung job.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I just had to explain to someone at the deli how to make a goddamn sandwich. I said 5 times "I want it heated with the cheese melted."

I kept saying it because he kept not heating the chicken and cheese which is typically the first step.

He started putting condiments on and I said again "I don't want the condiments heated, just the chicken and cheese."

So he takes like 5 minutes to put ketchup and mayo and salt and pepper on the top part of the bread. I'm thinking this is unorthodox but okay. He's just gonna heat the bottom part.

Then he just starts wrapping it up! I'm like dude I said five times I wanted it heated!

How do you work at a deli and not understand basic sandwichmaking?

I hate being that guy that gets pissy at a food place but it took him 20 minutes to make the simplest sandwich in the known universe despite my incessant handholding.

God fine! *squirts hot ketchup on cold chicken and bread*

• Options
    He didn't even cut the hero in half...

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »

I am trying to hate your management to death right now.

"Your machine is making bad parts! Production is stopped, get someone out here and fix it now!"

"Did the operator go through and check-"

"Get someone out here now!"

*1 emergency trip to Mississippi and 10 minutes of inspection later*

"That 240 lbs spool looks like someone ran a forklift tine into it. The caps on that spool are cracked. It's not the machine's fault it can't pull 15 meters of wire per second off of fucked up spools."

Out of curiosity, the shipment wasn't going to Water Valley, was it?

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Can any UKers explain this for me: "Anglican church, of the Catholic tradition, serving the Church of England Parish"

Thank you.

@Liiya In that sense catholic is probably being used in the sense of universal rather than as part of Pope Francis's deal. It's part of the Nicene creed and is an old usage of the word. I know US Methodists include it in their version as well and young DA asked very similar questions once upon a time.

I understood maybe 2 % of this.

• Options

Thank you.

Joke Answer:

Okay so you see there was this dude named God. In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people very unhappy and has widely been regarded as a bad move.

• Options
    Heated mayo is gross

Exactly! I had to literally explain this to the guy and he had to half-remake the sandwich.

Now I'm 20 minutes late back to work and don't have time to eat it before my meeting in 10 minutes. Yay! I try not to get bent out of shape over stupid shit like this but I was really annoyed. I do not like having my limited free time wasted in this way.

In his defense, he was almost certainly very stoned. Based on my experience working deli counters, anyway.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Thank you.

Basically that it refers to all the Christians anywhere when they say catholic like that.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Except the ones who get out of church a half hour earlier and so by the time you get to the Pizza Hut buffet all the pepperoni is gone, Baptists.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017

Thank you.

Basically that it refers to all the Christians anywhere when they say catholic like that.

Right. That's actually where the unofficial name for the Catholic Church comes from, it as the church of all Christians. Until the east/west schism anyway at which point there was now the Roman Catholic Church and the Orthodox Catholic Church, later things got crazier. Catholic is from the Greek word meaning universal.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Hey Koro, remember when you said
    He told all three of us that if something like that happens again, where upper management overrules us on not loading up an obviously fucked trailer, for us to give him a call and get him to come out there personally to look at it.

Maybe this is one of those times.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Guyz I really like my new job.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Koro's company must have the market on this wire completely cornered.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Except the ones who get out of church a half hour earlier and so by the time you get to the Pizza Hut buffet all the pepperoni is gone, Baptists.

Can confirm from attending my grandparent's Baptist church during the summers; motherfuckers love them some pepperoni.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    oh hey, i get my office back. i've got that working for me at least. I think the Boston job will be a no go. I had high hopes but I haven't heard anything and they said I would hear something this week. Granted, I've received a job offer 2 months after an interview but I think that this will not be the case. Also, I'm hopeful that I would have find a job in that ensuing time frame. Perhaps that's optimistic considering my plummeting job offer batting average but I maintain hope. Just had a phone interview with a small new space company out of Austin and on Monday I will finally meet the hiring manager and chief engineer for the california subsea company. They're actually flying out to Houston to meet me. This leads me to believe that I am actually their only or most greatly preferred candidate at this point. Which is great news, and I'd probably love it there (aside from scary potential of being on the road/at sea constantly).

Anyhoo, that's the main stuff going on with me.

This discussion has been closed.