As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rick & Morty] and the Infinite Sadness

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    Look.
    There are simply more infinite copies of a young dude then there are of an old dude.
    The old dude is dying off.
    This is simple back-of-the-napkin multiverse mechanics guys

Not if the young dude is a descendant of the old dude. The number of Ricks born is always going to be greater than the number of Mortys.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Look.
    There are simply more infinite copies of a young dude then there are of an old dude.

And really, do you think that the Council of Ricks (knowing how important to their well being a healthy, well maintained Morty can be) haven't created at least one Morty cloning facility? I mean, just in case?

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Look.

Not if the young dude is a descendant of the old dude. The number of Ricks born is always going to be greater than the number of Mortys.

Granted, cyborg Rick murdered a bunch of other Ricks and stole their Mortys

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Look, if you have a clumsy child, you make him wear a helmet. If you have death-prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Morty Insurance probably had some kind of replacement Morty policy.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Look.

And what do you think happened to the Beth-less Ricks?
    That's right, they're infinitely dead.
    Sticking around a Morty-less universe is bad for a Rick's health.
    :rotate:

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »

The council of Ricks literally gave our Rick a coupon for a free replacement Morty in season one, and I'm 99% sure there was also a Rick selling Morty Insurance in the same episode.

So whether they're actually cloning them or not, they're obviously not short on Morties, is my point.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Bursar wrote: »

The council of Ricks literally gave our Rick a coupon for a free replacement Morty in season one, and I'm 99% sure there was also a Rick selling Morty Insurance in the same episode.

So whether they're actually cloning them or not, they're obviously not short on Morties, is my point.

Well they did only offer him a replacement Morty after they retrieved the Mortys from the Morty dome.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Caught up with season 3 at this point. I'm so glad Morty is finally calling everyone on their shit now instead of blindly drifting along with Rick in a constant state of paralyzed horror. I mean he still freaks out pretty easily but it's not as pronounced and his tolerance for what the rest of his family is doing has steadily lowering limit.

I just hope they don't decide to cynically "wipe the slate clean" and kill him off at the end of the season once he makes a real character breakthrough like... well, Adult Swim programming is wont to do in general.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    If Rick can create a pocket universe I think creating Alternate Clone Smith Families is well in their toolbox

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    He's already cloned himself.

• Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    You know, it just occurred to me that the cybernetic enhancements currently in Rick might not have been present in his body prior to the events of S3E01. It's possible that they might have belonged to the previous occupant of Rick's current body.

Of course, I suppose it's also equally probable that Rick did indeed give himself those implants. He's certainly more than capable of doing that.

• Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    You know, it just occurred to me that the cybernetic enhancements currently in Rick might not have been present in his body prior to the events of S3E01. It's possible that they might have belonged to the previous occupant of Rick's current body.

Of course, I suppose it's also equally probable that Rick did indeed give himself those implants. He's certainly more than capable of doing that.

He installed them the previous episode, during his drunken blackout.

7EqfCDt.jpg

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Haha, that is why he was so dumbfounded that it was just a suction cup launcher! He had no idea what it would do, lol.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Seemed to me like he knew exactly that it was a suction cup launcher, but was expecting it to dramatically pull the gun back instead of comedically dangling it in front of him. If he thought it was something lethal, why was he pointing at the gun instead of the guy's head, especially since he was just gonna kill him anyway?

• Options
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Haha, that is why he was so dumbfounded that it was just a suction cup launcher! He had no idea what it would do, lol.

I wonder if they were originally Crocobot's spare parts.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I really hope that there is a math professor somewhere who is using Rick & Morty as a way to explain the concept of infinity.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    I think my favorite thing about this season so far is what I am calling 'Exasperated Morty'. The last two episodes especially have featured several moments of Morty, clearly tired of ALL of this, getting shit done because clearly nobody else is going to solve the problems.

There was also a bit of it last season with the Tree People in the episode about Rick's car battery.

Summer, get your shit together

Get all your shit

Get it into a shit pile

Take it to the shit museum

And let it go

Get your shit together

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    I think my favorite thing about this season so far is what I am calling 'Exasperated Morty'. The last two episodes especially have featured several moments of Morty, clearly tired of ALL of this, getting shit done because clearly nobody else is going to solve the problems.

There was also a bit of it last season with the Tree People in the episode about Rick's car battery.

Summer, get your shit together

Get all your shit

Get it into a shit pile

Take it to the shit museum

And let it go

Get your shit together

Also exasperated Morty is surprisingly effective. He gets shit done.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Well given how Rick tends to piss people off and given how close he has come to dying on more than one occasion. It's probably safe to say we likely had plenty of Mortys, before Evil Morty murdered a bunch of Ricks, that resided in universes where the Rick was deceased. A Morty only needs a Rick to be alive in their universe long enough to procreate and result in a Beth being born and I guess, have enough influence that she meets Jerry. After that, a Rick is no longer needed to for a Morty to be born.

I do like how the show is dismantling the BS stereotype that people with developmental disabilities are less capable than those that don't have any developmental disabilities. Hell, sometimes those individuals can be more capable than someone that has no disabilities.

I also have another theory regarding evil Morty. Maybe he isn't that evil and his plan is to try to save as many Mortys as possible. Given the issues that Mortys have and that a multiverse exists, maybe he is only focusing his energy on Mortys that have a shot of breaking free from their toxic relationship with their Rick. So this opens the possibility that evil Morty and the show's Rick have no past connection, perhaps evil Morty determined that the show's Morty had potential to get out of the typical Rick and Morty dynamic. Also would explain why he has no qualms with harming other Mortys. I kind of get the impression that the inevitable fate of most Rick and Morty teams, is that they both end up dying.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    Well given how Rick tends to piss people off and given how close he has come to dying on more than one occasion. It's probably safe to say we likely had plenty of Mortys, before Evil Morty murdered a bunch of Ricks, that resided in universes where the Rick was deceased. A Morty only needs a Rick to be alive in their universe long enough to procreate and result in a Beth being born and I guess, have enough influence that she meets Jerry. After that, a Rick is no longer needed to for a Morty to be born.

I do like how the show is dismantling the BS stereotype that people with developmental disabilities are less capable than those that don't have any developmental disabilities. Hell, sometimes those individuals can be more capable than someone that has no disabilities.

I also have another theory regarding evil Morty. Maybe he isn't that evil and his plan is to try to save as many Mortys as possible. Given the issues that Mortys have and that a multiverse exists, maybe he is only focusing his energy on Mortys that have a shot of breaking free from their toxic relationship with their Rick. So this opens the possibility that evil Morty and the show's Rick have no past connection, perhaps evil Morty determined that the show's Morty had potential to get out of the typical Rick and Morty dynamic. Also would explain why he has no qualms with harming other Mortys. I kind of get the impression that the inevitable fate of most Rick and Morty teams, is that they both end up dying.

Eyepatch Morty: Breaker of Chains. He will destroy the wheel that keeps the Morties down, and he doesn't care how many Morties he has to kill to do it!

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I really hope that there is a math professor somewhere who is using Rick & Morty as a way to explain the concept of infinity.

I'm not a math professor but I typed up, yet decided not to submit, an epic long post explaining at length why we cannot assume that the Rick:Morty ratio is 1:1.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Feral wrote: »

I'm not a math professor but I typed up, yet decided not to submit, an epic long post explaining at length why we cannot assume that the Rick:Morty ratio is 1:1.

sure, but does it matter?

There are always enough ricks for mortys and enough mortys for ricks are there is an infinite supply of them courtesy of infinite realities.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

There are always enough ricks for mortys and enough mortys for ricks are there is an infinite supply of them courtesy of infinite realities.

It doesn't matter but that's not why.

You can have infinite realities and still have a resource shortage.

Rather the show has adequately shown that there is neither a major Morty surplus nor shortage. We don't have enough information to know if the ratio is 1:1 but we have enough info to know that the multiverse's Rick-Morty market is in a cromulent equilibrium state.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    Is this a meta argument that is in fact infinite as well?

• Options
    kriegs wrote: »

There's a 0.999... percent chance that it is.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    kriegs wrote: »

There's a 0.999... percent chance that it is.

are your mechanical and reptilian logic certain of this?

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

Have you ever looked into Cantor's diagonal argument? If not, it's a great way to represent the Rick:Morty problem with respect to infinities.

• Options
    NoizlanifNoizlanif MMO-Whore Registered User regular
    this thread got way to serious, i mean wubba lubba dub dub, right guys?

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    "That got too serious" is a basic summary of the show

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Noizlanif wrote: »

Let's talk about why you're in great pain, Noizlanif.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »

Let's talk about why you're in great pain, Noizlanif.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I have a theory about Evil Morty. He was in one episode, so tying every bit of mythology and lore from the series to him is dumb. The fans care WAY more about this concept than the writers do. That's my theory.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I have a theory about Evil Morty. He was in one episode, so tying every bit of mythology and lore from the series to him is dumb. The fans care WAY more about this concept than the writers do. That's my theory.

Yeah I think that this is exactly the sort of thing that ruins long running shows. Rather than coming up with new things they reference old episodes becoming a parody of themselves. Thankfully Harmon is steering the show away from that as best as he could.

• Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Seemed to me like he knew exactly that it was a suction cup launcher, but was expecting it to dramatically pull the gun back instead of comedically dangling it in front of him. If he thought it was something lethal, why was he pointing at the gun instead of the guy's head, especially since he was just gonna kill him anyway?

I mean, he "eyeballed" the neutrino bombs, so probably the same deal here.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The Evil Morty episode was very clearly ended in a way that allowed for the character to return. It's not like the show will be ruined if he doesn't, but it would be fun and not out of place for him to do so.

And while maybe EM isn't necessarily a fundamental piece of show lore, he's directly tied to parallel Ricks and parallel family members in general, which are both core bits of mythology.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options

Shhshhshhh...careful, Noizlanif, your s'more is burning.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I've always wondered about the intro to this show. There are scenes from season one that are still in there - mostly of Morty being killed and Rick escaping situations. Other Rick and Mortys?

Also, we ever gonna see the episode where they steal C'Thulu's baby?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Also, we ever gonna see the episode where they steal C'Thulu's baby?

Probably some time after we see the Ducktales episode where the boys wake up that mummy and get chased out of the pyramid.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

It's a Harmon show, so apply this to literally everything in the show and realize its mostly adlibbed by the inebriated.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.