As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Elite: Dangerous] THARGOIDS INVADE BUBBLE! December 3308 Update!

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    From the top, the Chieftain looks kind of like the thing the good guys fly around in in Halo.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Gosh, those planets look much better.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Basil wrote: »

That they do, but the shitty part is that they look how the originally looked. Still, I can't really complain about there being variety again.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    I think the guy who insists on mailslots ambushed the beige and brown guy in the parking lot.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Axen wrote: »
    Basil wrote: »

That they do, but the shitty part is that they look how the originally looked. Still, I can't really complain about there being variety again.

I can't remember them ever looking like that. I'm pretty sure they just used to look like more colourful versions of what we have now.

• Options
    I didn't really get as far as noticing that the craters aren't jagged toothy maws any more.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Oh yeah, they had excellent variety of planets/moons. Then they randomly changed how the planets were generated to be more "realistic" for some unknowable reason.

It is something many an explorer has been complaining about for a long while.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Oh yeah, they had excellent variety of planets/moons. Then they randomly changed how the planets were generated to be more "realistic" for some unknowable reason.

"The Vision"
    92gq2nD.gif

DarkMecha on
    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    Oh Christ don't start this "the vision" shit again, we were on such a good streak.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »

"The Vision"
    92gq2nD.gif

That gif needs to be on a cmdr bobblehead that's holding an Imperial coffee mug.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    visiontrain is on a non-stop course to dinosaur station

real talk i was expecting the next expansion sooner rather than later. a years worth of free updates is obv not something to complain about, but a lot of it sounds like QoL stuff the game needed and we would get regardless.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    Oh Christ don't start this "the vision" shit again, we were on such a good streak.

Hahaha, I was just kidding.

• Options
    Wait this is a whole year of content? Hrm. Ok that means there’s nothing super exciting (to me) lined up this year. That’s a shame.

• Options
    LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
    Never realised that the small cars and busses drive on the left, but of course they do Frontier being british and all:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=D4eHny9lxQc

• Options
    Also the Galactic Standard Time is GMT.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Lodbrok wrote: »
    Never realised that the small cars and busses drive on the left, but of course they do Frontier being british and all:

Those cars always bugged me a little. The ones driving the opposite direction of the station's rotation should be leaving the ground.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Not unless they're surpassing the station's rate of rotation, and I think that they chug along at a sluggish pace.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

Those cars always bugged me a little. The ones driving the opposite direction of the station's rotation should be leaving the ground.

I do not believe that is how centripetal force works.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Managed to do a few good runs with my Type 6 these last couple of days. Ended up selling my Viper IV and bought an Asp Explorer. I'm slowly fitting it for long-distance travel while doing some passenger runs around the place. I like how it flies, should be fun once properly fitted.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    3clipse wrote: »

I do not believe that is how centripetal force works.

This suggests otherwise:
    Additionally, anyone trying to walk along the rim of the artificial gravity spinning vehicle in the direction of the spin is subject to an unexpected radial inertial acceleration inward, which entails a downward Coriolis force, making the space walker feel heavier (e.g., Stone 1970). If the astronaut were to turn around and walk along the rim in the direction opposite to the spin, the Coriolis force would be upward and the apparent weight of the astronaut would be reduced. From considerations of human factors, the Coriolis accelerations should be kept to less than some fraction of the artificial gravity level. Stone (1970) suggests that this be no higher than 1/4. The minimum rim velocity is limited only by the need to maintain enough friction for locomotion when walking against the direction of spin. For walking at about 1 m/s, the estimated minimum rim velocity is 6 m/s.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Reduced, not fully negated and LEAVING THE GROUND because they walker isn't outpacing the rotation of the station. If anything you can probably game the system and get better gas mileage traveling against the spin by effectively reducing the weight of their load.

Get the car moving fast enough and she would still stick to the ground even going against the grain. Even if the station wasn't spinning at all. Just like these guys sticking to the "ground"

https://youtu.be/gcZH6ndqqwY

There is some risk of losing traction when approach the speed of the rotation, but there is never an inward force pushing them towards the center that's greater than the centripetal force pushing them towards the ground. They both just approach zero when as match the station's spin. Sufficient acceleration could carry you past that point of negated traction, like a sprinter kicking off from a starting block. For safety reasons you'd probably have some magnets in the wheels to maintain a minimum level of traction regardless of which direction and what speed your that your motor vehicle is traveling.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Nerds.gif

Just kidding, we are all nerds around here.

• Options
    Saw this on GalNet: https://community.elitedangerous.com/en/galnet/uid/59d648778101dd2e8c236a09

I'm a huge Homeworld fan so I think that is pretty awesome!

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    Managed to do a few good runs with my Type 6 these last couple of days. Ended up selling my Viper IV and bought an Asp Explorer. I'm slowly fitting it for long-distance travel while doing some passenger runs around the place. I like how it flies, should be fun once properly fitted.

Asp explorer is a tidy ship, also I love the engine noise it makes.

• Options
    This right here is an example of the frustrating inconsistency and lack of polish that holds ED back so much. This isn't a negative bashing post, but more just to acknowledge that for many things in ED right now they aren't bad, just not implemented quite right.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/75wsoh/the_coolest_signal_source_i_ever_dropped_out_at/

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    ED is an amazing system with some cool tech and neat ideas.

I'm hopeful one day it will be a proper game!

• Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    I had a thought the other day that kind of highlights how (theoretically) easy it would be to make things like community goals more interesting while at the same time actually having a bit of story by leveraging the background Sim stuff.

OK. So recently there were a couple encounters added showing the thargoids destroyed a megaship, right? That should have been immediately followed up with a Galnet article saying something to the effect of, "The prices of basic foodstuffs in the area skyrocketed with the news of the destruction of a vital supply ship. Every available pilot is asked to help provide relief." And then, here's the key, they need to seriously ratchet up the value of those commodities as well as the local demand. No need for arbitrary tiers, the local systems just plain pay more until the demand is met. And if it's not met over some time frame? The governing factions get a huge drop in influence, which likely leads to them flipping to anarchy.

Similarly, systems bordering the area should have an increase in valuable passenger missions, as people try to flee the attacking aliens.

It just seems like there's opportunities to show the game world reacting to events in ways that can, at the very least, provide motivation for players to participate. Not to mention the fact that it allows for situations like Rhea and Quince to dynamically arise and let players get in on that "gold rush" feeling without needing to resort to exploiting the extremities of the system.

• Options
    Exactly! That is the kind of stuff I thought would be going on. It seems like something they could do with what they have, but I don't know.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    In HOTAS news, VirPil is showing off their new throttle.

Looks like the extra controls would be really fiddly to get to in VR, but for non VR use this looks pretty great.

edit: projected price is €239.00. Ouch.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    glad to see they give you the option of the analogue mini stick though i'd like to see where exactly on the hotas it is. Vertical/lateral thrusters on one of those feels amazing in-flight.

• Options
    I think it's on the front of the throttle currently, but there's some discussion with the rep on r/hotas about it going on.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    I think it's on the front of the throttle currently, but there's some discussion with the rep on r/hotas about it going on.

the one on the ch throttle is in the grouping at the thumb i think. my x52 pro puts thrusters on the 4 way hat at the index finger. i think i could live with it either way but i really want an analogue stick on my throttle

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Thrustmaster has the analogue stick on the front of the throttle. I absolutely love it. There's really no comparison between having digital and analog thruster control (especially for FA Off).

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    I still am trying to find the sweet spot on sensitivity on that one.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    In HOTAS news, VirPil is showing off their new throttle.

Looks like the extra controls would be really fiddly to get to in VR, but for non VR use this looks pretty great.

edit: projected price is €239.00. Ouch.

Looking at it, I'd think ergonomics might be an issue. I'd have to change my set up, otherwise I'd be resting my arm across all those buttons. You'd almost have to recess it so the box it sits on was slightly under the surface your arm was on. Probably not a big deal for regular flight sims where you don't adjust the throttle all the time (I guess. I've never really gotten into them). Space flight ain't like that though.

I'm still really loving the VKB Gladiator II I bought a while ago. My problem is that I have to break muscle memory from the T16000M in that I'm too wild with the Yaw corrections. When I'm paying attention to that, everything feels so silky smooth. It's really a nice stick.

In E:D specific news, I did some... security reprimands last night (EG, killed some cops of an opposing faction). It was only when I woke up this morning and was thinking about loadouts that I realized I was fighting last night with 2 or 3 missing hardpoints, because I'd moved them around. Heh. I have two huge beams (long range) on the Corvette and I guess this is proof positive that those are really the primary weapons on it for me. I'm thinking about putting long range fixed multis on the other hardpoints. Maybe gimbal the mediums because they're so far apart...

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Last night I made it to the destination I had picked for my first outing as an explorer -- a system in the Witch Head Nebula, about 800ly out. I've seen some pretty beautiful sights out here, especially towards the tail end of the trip.

Anyone have any tips for taking good screenshots? I've been playing exclusively in VR and I get the impression that I'll have to jump into oldscreen mode in order to get some good hi-res images. It's kind of too bad that there's no good way to share the sense of really being out there in VR, being surrounded by the vastness of it all.

• Options
    Not sure if it works in VR, but left-hand alt+f10 used to take a 4k screenshot in solo play.

Hm, is this is correct the Krait must be fatter than I got the impression of from the videos:

ZwWvTBC.jpg

• Options
    Not sure if it works in VR, but left-hand alt+f10 used to take a 4k screenshot in solo play.

Hm, is this is correct the Krait must be fatter than I got the impression of from the videos:

ZwWvTBC.jpg

Unless something's changed, hitting alt-f10 VR takes a lovely high res screenshot of a 720p view -_-

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Aha, that's unfortunate. I know it used to be that you had to play in solo to use this as everything halted for a second while everything was re-rendered at the higher resolution...

• Options