As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Elite: Dangerous] THARGOIDS INVADE BUBBLE! December 3308 Update!

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    So is anything happening with the aliens? Fdev lost my attention when it looked like they were just gonna keep spamming : Aegis Initiative++: another cargo community goal.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Haven't been on in about a 10 days so I don't know. Don't even know what was unlocked after the last CG that was after the multi-cannon.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    So is anything happening with the aliens? Fdev lost my attention when it looked like they were just gonna keep spamming : Aegis Initiative++: another cargo community goal.

Number 4 or whatever is currently up and ongoing

Not really interested personally, I'm tooling around in a shiny new Cobra for the first time.

I can do anything in this ship it's just so awesome

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I haven't even started the game up since going to go and look at a Thargoid. I'm pretty cold on this update, and the coming ones.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    I've played with a Thargoid once. Not to kill it. Just to fly around and investigate. It was pretty neat.

I have to admit that I just don't care for CGs. I very rarely contribute to them, and this is no exception. From what I understand, the weapons are all weak against normal targets, so eh. I personally think this would be a good vehicle for some new ideas in terms of offense and defense. It would be a shame if they waste an arms race solely on an enemy that never attacks you unless you go looking for it, out in who-the-fuck-cares space.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I spent an hour looking for goids with my friend to say we saw em. Took 20 jumps to Maya and saw no non human sources for an hour. Two random jumps and we find one right away. I drop in on a fart cloud, wreckage and an alien. He immediately turns and flies into me at full speed and then gets pissed at me so I try to jump out. He's mass locking me by like 30 so I duck and dive in my asp, overheating, being shot to hell by interceptors and finally engage fsd at 1% hull minutes later.

I am done with aliens.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    I am 100% certain they intended the Thargoid weapons to be useless against NPCs/PCs so to solve their PvP problem - which is silly because gankers gonna gank, and the folks who PvP or pirate behind 'lore reasons' can't do both.

I haven't been on in days, but mostly because of D:OS 2 and the fact PP is essentially pointless. I should go pirate some of the CGs. I am looking forward to the wing updates and the RNGineer changes. Those will draw me back at some point.

• Options
    I'm going through a few things right now. One thing I love about this game is how relaxing it is to just fly. I like to go to planets and do ultra close flying over the rocky terrain (close enough that the ground map comes up). Flip upside down for a while. Strafe and fly sideways. Go for a canyon run and hug the walls.

That and a few passenger milk runs and I can feel slightly productive but also zen out.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Upgraded from a Vulture to an Imperial Clipper. Now to make some money and figure out what to upgrade first.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    The big three competing systems to consider IMO are your FSD, sublight drives, and your shields.

It's weak points in combat are its weak shields, huge silhouette, and awkward large hardpoint mounts, however it falls into a useful niche where all enemies fall into one of two categories.

1: ships that you can outrun.
    2: ships that are too small to mass lock you.

Because of this it's very safe to fly because you can generally see the writing on the wall when things go south and escape before you meet a bad end.

I have mine configured as a multirole engineer material hunter. She has most types of scanners, an srv bay, FSD interdictor, and several tons of storage for collector limpets. I think that I armed mine with efficient gimbaled large beam lasers to vaporize small fry / deplete shields and some dumbfire rockets to crack hulls.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Doing my part to heat up this war (player faction v. player faction, with a true war state in this system).

RP below:

1st PvP Kill of the conflict- Vulture V. Vulture
    I saw CMDR Pippits in supercruise. He was pledged to Winters. He did not respond to my hail "o7 For the Federation!". I saw he was pointed in the same low intensity CZ I was (a little behind me). I dropped in the CZ, pledged Fed, and boosted out 15k from the drop in point. Turned off thrusters and other non essentials and waited (to cool my signature). Sure enough, he drops in pledges Alliance.
    CMDR Pippits may have never seen my Vulture coming. I was on top of him with pacifier frags and dropped his shields in a few volleys. His chaff was of no use, and drag munitions limited his escape options.

Death came swirling down.

FOR THE FEDERATION

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Derrick wrote: »
    Sure enough, he drops in pledges Alliance.

I always knew that Winters and her supporters couldn't be trusted. A bunch of turncoats.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Derrick wrote: »
    Sure enough, he drops in pledges Alliance.

I always knew that Winters and her supporters couldn't be trusted. A bunch of turncoats.

Heh, yeah. I mean, who pledges to Winters just for the module?

Okay, let me rant a bit about inter group politics. Skip if this isn't your thing (I totally understand)

Powerplay in general has weird incentives. Like, Hudson command is generally happy when Alliance or Imperial BGS groups invade Fed space, because their government types are good for their power play stuff. As such, they are often worse than useless in terms of coordinating action or showing a united front to aggression.

My list of grievances with Federation groups both BGS and PP is quite long at this point. I think after this war is over I'm going to go independent for a while. Maybe I'll join a group that likes to goof around and do destruction derbies and stuff like that.

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Last night I set out towards my second exploration destination. The first trip to the Witch Head Nebula took me about a week to make it 800 ly and back. The nebula I'm headed for now is 8,000 ly out. Don't think I'll be seeing anyone around for a very long time.

Got something strange happening in my cockpit now though. I'm hearing this intermittent servo-motor sound, every once in awhile, like a device activating or retracting, but it's not related to anything I'm doing that I can tell, and there's no visual to go along with it. The only thing that's different on this trip is that I've added a few engineering modifications to the FSD, engines, and sensors. Any idea what I'm hearing?

• Options
    Satan?

• Options
    LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
    Most probable trumbles in your systems:

latest?cb=20170211150328

Don't forget to head up or down a good distance to get more first discoveries!

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Last night I set out towards my second exploration destination. The first trip to the Witch Head Nebula took me about a week to make it 800 ly and back. The nebula I'm headed for now is 8,000 ly out. Don't think I'll be seeing anyone around for a very long time.

Got something strange happening in my cockpit now though. I'm hearing this intermittent servo-motor sound, every once in awhile, like a device activating or retracting, but it's not related to anything I'm doing that I can tell, and there's no visual to go along with it. The only thing that's different on this trip is that I've added a few engineering modifications to the FSD, engines, and sensors. Any idea what I'm hearing?

....Uh.

https://youtu.be/To--x3BSxvI

Jokes aside, I've no clue

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    It's funny, I think I only heard it maybe four or five times in about an hour of flying around. It's extra maddening in VR though, because there are some sounds and actions that trigger based on my turning my head in a particular direction, so each time I heard it I'd try to make it happen again by twisting and looking all around to no avail. I really feel a sense of stewardship for my Explorer, and I kind of pride myself on understanding how I've got things configured and how everything works, so this mystery noise is... vexing.

I am taking measures to maximize new discoveries, ideally travelling off the beaten path. Part of this is vanity -- I want my name on things! -- but maybe a bigger part, as I see it, is providing a service to the galaxy and future explorers in ensuring that they see "Discovered by Drake Chambers" instead of "Discovered by Armpit". I've been seeing that one a lot lately.

Edit: If Cmdr. Armpit is a forum member, please accept my apology. Nothing personal. I just hate your name.

Drake Chambers on
  • Options
    Sometimes the RNG gods are kind. I got a Cracked Industrial Firmware and a Modified Embedded off the same base. Said base was only a tiny + base with no fly support. Just a random skimmer kill mission I picked up since I was in my dropship (loaded with dumbfire missiles. VERY fun to do those missions in it).

Things are looking up for the unengineered Courier I picked up a while ago!

yJBibRW.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Did the ever fix the 'scan the same node over and over by relogging' thing?

I loved the base attack stuff with my dumbfire Asp. Just fun to spam those things hah.

Bigity on
  • Options
    Bigity wrote: »
    Did the ever fix the 'scan the same node over and over by relogging' thing?

I loved the base attack stuff with my dumbfire Asp. Just fun to spam those things hah.

Heh. You know, I'm not sure. I never really did that. I assume they did, or it would be all over the forums. Mostly I just like how great the dropship feels when you're doing a base assault. You *can* do ship to ship space combat in a dropship. However, when you're obliterating a high security base, it just feels like that's what the ship was *designed* to do.

A) All those hardpoints on the bottom are perfect for missiles (I use one fixed beam as well).
    B) Taking shots is no worry- the thing is a tank with thrusters strapped on.
    C) Enemy craft suddenly have a BIG problem when they don't have room to maneuver and you've got dropship firepower and a super sturdy fit.

Plus I just like the scale of everything. When you run around in the rover next to the ship, the immense size of the starship hits home. Plus, when I first got horizons, I was doing base assaults in the SRV only. It's nice to use the ship itself and have a reference for just how much raw damage they put out.

• Options
    Base/SRV missions are so underwhelming overall it's just sad. I want crap like they showed in the trailers for Horizons and such. Lots of potential there.

• Options
    I’m still not entirely sure how any of the SRV stuff works.

Like, how do I find/get planetary materials? I’ve banked 25 mil from my newbly exploration runs out to the Pleiades and now I want to get into engineering stuff but I have no idea how to get materials

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    I'm sure there are better guides out there, but I kind of stumbled into how to do this myself last night when I landed on a moon next to a gas giant for the photo op.

You've got a directional sonar/radar-type display above your sensor circle. It constantly pings the area and gives you a tone and some fuzzy blocks to focus on when it locates something. Drive towards the fuzzy blocks until you find the thing. In my case, it was a rock, and I shot it, and goodies popped out and ever so slowly drifted back to the ground of the low gravity moon.

Deploy your SRV's cargo scoop, target the material, and drive over it. Material get!

• Options
    edited October 2017
    The pattern of the fuzzy blocks and the noise that the scanner makes as it does its sweep tells you what it's detecting. You can identify whether a contact is some Manmade structure, rocks, or aylmaos.

Every other scanner in the game scans and tells you what it sees. This one you need to play "Hunt for the Red October" to find some arsenic.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
  • Options
    That actually sounds like fun. I haven't tooled around on planet surfaces at all prior to this one trip. I'll probably do more now to mix up the long lonely once in awhile.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    To save yourself some headaches, rather than driving towards the signal source, make a note of the compass bearing and drive towards that bearing. Then readjust once the signal noticeably shifts. That way you don't lose the signal when a random rock makes your srv flip 1080 degrees.

Personally I like worlds with about 0.1 g, and I use the jump jets to sort of fly/moon bounce my srv over the wacky bounce house terrain.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    I find the higher G planets (but not really high) easier to drive on. You can kind of 'float' above the small rocks without knicking one and flying off into orbit.

• Options
    Well I don't really drive on the 0.1 g worlds. 90% of the travel is spent airborne in a flying leap.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Last night I got jumped by an NPC pirate at an encoded emissions signal source. I was a couple hundred ly outside the bubble and wasn't expecting it at all. I was taking my time, preparing to return to supercruise when - THOOOM - this guy pops up in my face and startled the crap out of me. It took me a few seconds to figure out what was going on and by the time I looked at the comm window and saw him demanding that I drop my cargo it was too late. I managed to squeak away, but lost shields and hull was down to 80%.

So... is this something I'm going to have to continue to worry about, even way-the-fuck-away-from-nowhere? I haven't fully engineered and overhauled for exploration, so I still had shields and the ability to boost, and I'm sure that saved my ass. Or was this just a rare fluke?

• Options
    edited October 2017
    No, that's really common that close to the bubble. I've heard that they eventually stop showing up, but you need to get thousands of lightyears outside the bubble iirc.

I also think random escape pods keep spawning on planet surfaces even in ultra deep space.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    It also occurred to me that my only cargo was a single large survey data cache, so my average cargo value was pretty high, and I recall hearing in the past that carrying valuable cargo makes you a more likely target. Is that accurate?

If so, I'm going to dump the thing.

• Options
    Not really. They'll fight you to death over a ton of litteral shit.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Yep, two jumps later and it happened again, this time an interdiction attempt not long after I arrived in the system.

I dumped my cargo, so now I have an empty hold. Will see if that makes a difference.

In happier news, just found a system with three charted gas giants, but no one had bothered to discover their dozen or so moons. My brand expands!

• Options
    Yeah don’t take cargo out exploring

• Options
    I feel we should start a PMF at an asteroid base, because they are just cool.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    Yeah don’t take cargo out exploring

You’ll still get interdicted without cargo by npc pirates though. They will just scan you and leave disappointed

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    No, that's really common that close to the bubble. I've heard that they eventually stop showing up, but you need to get thousands of lightyears outside the bubble iirc.

I also think random escape pods keep spawning on planet surfaces even in ultra deep space.

The threshold for pirates in my experience is something like 500LY out.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    my children will go hungry tonight

*flying around in 148 million credit ship*