As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Elite: Dangerous] THARGOIDS INVADE BUBBLE! December 3308 Update!

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Tldw

What happens in these moving pictures?

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Looks like some fan imagines what the interior of the cobra looks like with far more attention to scale than FDEV likely did.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
    edited October 2018
    Interior Scale. Yeah that's a thing. That is this crazy weird thing and I'd love a post mortem one day on just how that went down.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
    That video is well worth a watch, really well made and the Cobra really is a much bigger ship than one might think.

Also, why the negativity about interior scale? At least Frontier claim that all the ships are laid out in a reasonable manner with thoughts to future developments, and from concept art and videos like that one I have no reason to doubt that, but perhaps I've missed something?

Oh well, here is a video of a CMDR running a melee FDL, quite interesting to watch and some really nice FA off boosting and pip management:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=nIegbzvnVQk

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Lodbrok wrote: »
    That video is well worth a watch, really well made and the Cobra really is a much bigger ship than one might think.

Also, why the negativity about interior scale? At least Frontier claim that all the ships are laid out in a reasonable manner with thoughts to future developments, and from concept art and videos like that one I have no reason to doubt that, but perhaps I've missed something?

Oh well, here is a video of a CMDR running a melee FDL, quite interesting to watch and some really nice FA off boosting and pip management:

Apparently the scale looks much better in VR vs flatscreen. I've seen many comments to that effect, but don't have access to VR to check it out myself.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »

Apparently the scale looks much better in VR vs flatscreen. I've seen many comments to that effect, but don't have access to VR to check it out myself.

I mainly play in VR and the scale has never felt off to me.

Hey looks like we are getting the Mamba after all!

gbuGCe9.png

Someone spotted that thing in the beta. Seems like a small-medium ship with four hardpoints, large engines and possibly from Zorgon-Petersen as those engines look very much like FDL. Would make sense, as long ago in the old games it was a very fast ship popular with racers:

f4k5ddqdz3iy.jpg

Looks pretty nice, I like that it looks to be built for speed and not much else.. perhaps a new favourite for the racing crowd?

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

Some of the cockpits seem pretty oversized in VR. Flying a Vulture feels like you're flying an angry cathedral.

5gsowHm.png
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    A lot of the Lakon cockpit areas feel like they’re supposed to be small office areas and stuff but are obviously vacant in the game.

Also the Mamba’s in the RPG as literally the boy racer trash rocket that’s mostly popular for smugglers and spies who need performance but not combat.

• DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    I'm in the camp that the ship designs in this game were originally created at some smaller scale, but then increased at some point during development. But because everything was scaled up proportionally, we ended up with cockpits you can literally drive a truck through, and the meter-wide radar displays sitting at your feet.

• General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    The courier on the other hand hand feels like it was originally a larger ship that was scaled down to snubfighter size.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
    Dartboy wrote: »
    I'm in the camp that the ship designs in this game were originally created at some smaller scale, but then increased at some point during development. But because everything was scaled up proportionally, we ended up with cockpits you can literally drive a truck through, and the meter-wide radar displays sitting at your feet.

I actually like the big radar ottoman. The rest of the empty space feels wasted, though, and possibly hazardous (oops, accidentally got stuck floating mid-cockpit and nothing’s in reach to grab).

5gsowHm.png
    edited November 2018
    I'm still fond of the post zentradi angle. We're just really small and the ships are big

The thargoid conspiracy is a smokescreen. Wake up, onionheads!

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    edited November 2018
    Uh... apparently the Mamba is not at all what I expected, from the wiki:

"The Mamba's design places an emphasis on bringing heavy firepower to engagements. It features two small hardpoints, two large hardpoints, and 1 huge hardpoint, making it the only medium ship other than the Fer-de-Lance capable of mounting Class 4 weaponry. It is also the only ship of any size other than the Fer-de-Lance with a total of six utility slots. "

Sounds like someone got tired of the FDL as the number one PvP combat ship, if the Mamba is not completely gimped in other ways, it sounds like a complete beast. Not exactly what I was hoping for but still interesting.

ayod36gzrkc1.png

Edit: if this checks out it's substantially larger than the FDL... as I said, did not expect that:

8MuUr2W.png

Lodbrok on
    That's a shame, I was hoping for a 20mil joy toy with one huge hard point and shit all else or something similarly silly.

• DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Oh wow what a hot rod ship! I think I will have to buy one...

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Syngyne wrote: »

Some of the cockpits seem pretty oversized in VR. Flying a Vulture feels like you're flying an angry cathedral.

I’ve always loved the Vulture, but thanks to your comment the 40k nerd in me loves it even more.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Also for what it's worth I think a lot of the scale weirdness comes from the ships all being designed to look and take part in epic dog fights

Only they're like, fucking 30m at the smallest from wing to wing.

Which is absurd by most measurements.

edited November 2018
    These mining changes they are revealing now look amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lsah4HX4LQ

ObiFett on
    Also it's kinda terrifying how much muscle memory I have for this game.

Came back for the first time in months and just casually piloted my 'conda back from deep space to Cubeo without needing a second of re-adjustment.

The feeling of speed and space super cruise gives is still a fucking incredible magic trick.

edited November 2018
    Damn sign me up for the Mamba (if I come back after the patch). I love having a huge HP in a smaller ship, but really do not care for the way the FDL flies. Wonder what the internals look like.

Just need a huge frag cannon variant.

Bigity on
    Another take on interior modules of the Cobra (based on actual in-game targeting of modules?):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=uLmk648niJ0

The guy making that video has others looking at the DBX and Eagle and Sidey as well, pretty neat.

Of course, this is just fan-work, but it's interesting how well everything fits together...

• ReaperSMSReaperSMS Registered User regular
    Back after almost 2 years to try the new scanner and dw2. Long backtrack from the edge still

edited November 2018
    Successfully bought all the ships I had on my wishlist!
    0erpe9jtbsqj.jpg

Then realized to make outfitting most of them work the way I need to have more engineering options. So I'm working through unlocking engineers now. Its going to .... uh ... take a bit. Anyone have advice on unlocking engineers quickly and efficiently?

ObiFett on
    Engineering is one of those things where I opened a guide once and a guy insisted that his routing of a particular set of vital combat unlocks was quick at like, only six or seven hours. So I think you're just gonna have to put a podcast on.

Also, we gonna be forming a squadron?

• ReaperSMSReaperSMS Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/6rukp8/engineer_guide_from_fresh_start_to_maxengineered claims to do it in ~2 weeks, not certain how accurate that is. When I get back to the bubble I was going to use it as a starting point, with things cherry picked a bit for just the exploration and weight reduction bits

That one was for a completely fresh save, so if you have the travel distance req and the cash piles dealt with already it probably shrinks a bit.

ReaperSMS on
    Second set of patch notes:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/456534-Beyond-Chapter-Four-Beta-2

Discovery Scanner is gonna be a built in module on every ship.

edited November 2018
    This night vision thing is pretty lame IMO. Especially when it works out beyond scanner range. Makes non-D sensors useless.

If they don't want SR to be a thing, just freaking remove it already, and adjust the ships built to take advantage of it (FAS with those pitiful shields, for example).

Bigity on
    This night vision thing is pretty lame IMO. Especially when it works out beyond scanner range. Makes non-D sensors useless.

If they don't want SR to be a thing, just freaking remove it already, and adjust the ships built to take advantage of it (FAS with those pitiful shields, for example).

Can you lock on or shoot something that is beyond sensor range? Just because you can see it, doesn't mean your ship can, right?

Hey, anyone up for a new ship? A ship named for a snake from our favourite manufacturer Zorgon Peterson perhaps?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=V1jU0CX1bHk

All jokes about this being like a Star Citizen new ship commercial aside, I really wonder what they mean by "the Mamba is one of the fastest ships in production". Hm... interest intensifying.

ObiFett wrote: »

Can you lock on or shoot something that is beyond sensor range? Just because you can see it, doesn't mean your ship can, right?

Effectively the same thing, at least as far as SR goes.

New pictures of VKB's Kosmosima stick. Will have both left/right hand versisions and twist axis:
    1634324872_WeChatImage_20181101130737.thumb.jpg.29ff1bab67b2a69fc2bbd2c2a7e93335.jpg

1720026735_WeChatImage_20181101155706.thumb.jpg.f2035bd92a4be3f603a3286562c1f0cc.jpg

1389083219_WeChatImage_20181101125155.jpg.718dd7f865f534b191098cb751dfa3ba.jpg

Though VKB being VKB, no clue when it'll actually be available for order.

5gsowHm.png
  • LilleDjevelLilleDjevel Registered User regular
    Yo yo, so I got back into this game a week ago or so, and what's the deal with "superpowers" should I just pledge to one asap for my free weekly dosh or?

And where do you get the actual big ships? Kinda want the Neal Asher universe type ships not the eurotruck in space simulator feeling =p

Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,
    'til there's Fire in the Sky...

steam_sig.png
    You don't really get free dosh without putting in some work related to Power Play. Find a player group for your desired power and coordinate with them IMO. Most have reddit pages, or Discord servers.

The Anaconda and T-9 are big haulers without a faction rank requirement. The Cutter requires a high Imperial rank.

so, what are you all up to cmdrs? Not playing that much myself now, just waiting for the patch to drop. Anyway, here is something interesting that turned up recently:

joshua-millyard-overview.jpg?1543597912

Seems to be a concept commissioned by Frontier for a Core Dynamics mining ship, probably SLF sized? Nice to see that Frontier are thinking about new stuff, even though that particular design seems a bit odd.

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Maybe not an SLF and that mouth is a large cargo hatch for scooping things up

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • JazzJazz Registered User regular
      I finally picked up the Horizons season pass in a recent sale, so I should dust the game off. It's been years so it's probably quite different now.

Although I might just end up going back to First Encounters again...

TimFiji wrote: »
      Maybe not an SLF and that mouth is a large cargo hatch for scooping things up

Well, it could be I suppose, but I'm inclined to think it's a SLF due to some of the details. The "weapons" don't seem to be retractable, the cockpit seems to be quite large compared to the ship size (although with Frontier who knows when it comes to cockpits), and if you go to the artstation page it seems clear that the underside of the ship has no srv hatch. On the other hand, it would be the first SLF with landing gear so... yeah. I'm actually hoping this is just a concept and if we do get a mining SLF this won't be it, as the position of the thrusters really bugs me.... not in the center of gravity (presumably)!

@Jazz If you haven't played in years, do come back and experience it again. Just landing on planets is a good experience, and engineering your ships can be a good experience if you take your time and try to appreciate the necessary activities. FFE... heh. I remember playing that when it was originally released, so many bugs :-)

Beyond chapter 4 release date: December 11th. Launch trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=qNL8Agx151o&feature=youtu.be

Annoucement.

Come on Mamba. Want to ditch the FDL cause it just doesn't work for me.