Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Elite: Dangerous] New Patch! Mining and Exploring made fun!

1464748495052»

• LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
    Oh hey Elite thread, you're alive! Not playing myself at the moment, but keeping up with the game. Seems there is a station at Sag* now, Explorers Anchorage:

https://i.redd.it/shpm8r1v4zh21.pngshpm8r1v4zh21.png

CaptainPeacockcB557DarkMechaBasilSkeith
  • TimFijiTimFiji Registered User regular
    I'm still slowly doing missions for Ghosts in Obambojas in an attempt to start a conflict with the controlling faction. We're getting there!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148
    3DS: 5112-3442-2082
    Learn Japanese through video games!
    Steam: Archpriest
  • dylmandylman Registered User regular
    Lodbrok wrote: »
    Oh hey Elite thread, you're alive! Not playing myself at the moment, but keeping up with the game. Seems there is a station at Sag* now, Explorers Anchorage:

https://i.redd.it/shpm8r1v4zh21.pngshpm8r1v4zh21.png

It's pretty bare bones at the moment, no restock/repair or Cartographics. It does have outfitting though. I have some gear on the way to turn my exploration Phantom into something a bit more survivable.

The CG to get it upgraded starts in a couple of weeks, when the DW2 expedition arrives.

@dylman The CG will be out at the location itself I presume? A bit far for me to head out to right now unfortunately.

Also, saw this pic just now... I want atmospheres! (The background here is a blue gas-giant in a system with a blue sun). That pic almost makes it look like it was taken on an atmospheric planet...

https://i.redd.it/spjva3t6bwh21.pngspjva3t6bwh21.png

DarkMechaBasil
    @Lodbrok Yes, it'll be a mining CG based at the station. With no limpet restocking it's going to be interesting to say the least.

Todays random nice pictures incoming!

Does this remind you of something? (Apparently the background was made in Planet Coaster, fitting!)

8bzg9u5e9ai21.jpg

Reminder, these ships are huuuuuge:

vyv5cjcsu4i21.jpg

But, here is what's up; If you are low on high grade materials for mining, and don't mind a 1500ly trip, there is a good way of stocking up in HIP 36601:
    https://reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/atd8oy/worried_about_raw_materials_do_this_one_little/

cB557JazzIanatorZeroczBigityDarkMecha
  • IanatorIanator Delightfully mediocre! Registered User regular
    After a very generous mining trip (which could've had even more generous yields had I chose the right place to offload my Low Temp Diamonds) I now have about 78 million credits. Would you guys suggest the Krait Phantom, Krait MkII or Python as a next step up? The Kraits seem to be faster but the Python has more space for cargo bins.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Steam
    Blizzard: Ianator#1479 / 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 / FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    Ianator wrote: »
    After a very generous mining trip (which could've had even more generous yields had I chose the right place to offload my Low Temp Diamonds) I now have about 78 million credits. Would you guys suggest the Krait Phantom, Krait MkII or Python as a next step up? The Kraits seem to be faster but the Python has more space for cargo bins.

All three are great multirole ships that can be made to do everything well. The Krait MkII is slightly biased toward combat, the Phantom exploration, and the Python cargo capacity. Personally I find the Python boring to fly, while the MkII is my absolute favourite ship, but that's just my opinion.

Zerocz
    edited February 27
    I bought a Python!

...And then I sold it again! I'll probably stick to mining with my AspX.

I'll also probably go back to buy it again and actually fit it for combat now that I can afford to uniformly A-rate the thing. My squadron's minor faction is currently at war in a system and I'd like to take my first swing at Conflict Zones.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Steam
    Blizzard: Ianator#1479 / 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 / FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    dylman wrote: »

All three are great multirole ships that can be made to do everything well. The Krait MkII is slightly biased toward combat, the Phantom exploration, and the Python cargo capacity. Personally I find the Python boring to fly, while the MkII is my absolute favourite ship, but that's just my opinion.

Phantom takes the lead for combat over Mk II IMO. Depending on your flavor of combat I guess. Phantom can stack much more armor/integrity, which is important if you might be facing other players.

76561198017303226.png
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    I bought a Python!

...And then I sold it again! I'll probably stick to mining with my AspX.

I'll also probably go back to buy it again and actually fit it for combat now that I can afford to uniformly A-rate the thing. My squadron's minor faction is currently at war in a system and I'd like to take my first swing at Conflict Zones.

Even if you find you don't like the combat, the python can also serve as a midsize hauling/bulk passenger ship. Virtually identical cargo space to a Type-7 but weapons actually able to fight off pirates and doesn't need Large landing pads. So if you've got a Type-7, you can sell it to help pay for the python and not lose any mission functionality.

When I first made a deliberate attempt at combat after all my time purely exploring and light trading, it was for the one Engineer's prereqs. As such, I started my combat career in low conflict zones and went in my unengineered Cobra MKIII because of the cheap rebuy. Because I'd never really sought out combat before, I didn't realize this was rather stupid because CZ ships are a lot tougher than normal pirates and RES ships. It was a real slog to get all those combat bonds with my baseline weapons and shields. I could maybe take out 1-2 small ships (1-on-1, not counting just poking at something half a dozen other ships were already focused on) most trips before needing to repair/rearm because damage was so low I couldn't kill most of them before they jumped away. On top of that, for about 1 in 3 trips I'd get real lucky and a Spec Ops group would jump in right on top of me and vaporize my ship with their first volley.

I know better now, but the power gap between stock and engineered ships and CZ and RES is kind of ridiculous.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    edited February 27
    Bigity wrote: »
    dylman wrote: »

Phantom takes the lead for combat over Mk II IMO. Depending on your flavor of combat I guess. Phantom can stack much more armor/integrity, which is important if you might be facing other players.

Yeah, while I try and play in open where possible, my only interest in PvP is escaping interdictions.

Speaking of which, it must be time to relink Rinzler's guide for the newer players in the thread. While it's quite old, the advice is still invaluable. [NSFW: swears]

dylman on
    cB557BigityAxen

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Steam
    Backlog Challenge List
    BasilZeroczcB557