As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Elite: Dangerous] THARGOIDS INVADE BUBBLE! December 3308 Update!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Man, what if killing Thargoids gives you a new type of currency that can be used to buy engineering materials directly, with cost based on tier

hhnnnnrrrrrrrggggg

That might get me back into the game!

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    I'd rather have some type of player driven market for engineering mats.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'd rather have some type of player driven market for engineering mats.

I would be amazed if that isn't on the agenda at some point. I honestly don't think that material systems like the one in Elite make any sense without a player market.

Engineering has a good core, but it needs a lot of interface love and to be plumbed into alternate methods of gathering materials (such as a currency or player market). Right now there's a lot of paperwork involved because the interface gives you zero help.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Basically I want EVE but as fun to actually fly the ships as Elite is.

• Options
    I super, super do not want EVE.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Man I know they've talked about this before, but can't for the life of me find the article/video. IIRC I think they mentioned that if they did this it might be something like a galaxy wide black market accessible only in certain stations. I do know they said any sort of player to player trading would be flat out though, but I don't see any reason a player market couldn't work.

I mean already the commodities market is shared by all players whether solo, private or open. So presumably it wouldn't be all that much more work to create a market for engineering mats. If they have it galaxy wide instead of station specific like the commodities market then that would be even easier.

Maybe keep it simple and have the buy/sell prices be fixed. Or go one step further and have the market fluctuate based on supply and demand ala the commodities market.

Either way I'd probably not have players set the prices.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I want to fly around, inside and around mega-structures. I want to land in/on them and get out and explore. And maybe if I'm lucky find some cool salvage/artifacts I can bring back and sell.

• Options
    Prices pretty much need to be defined by players. Otherwise why even bother involving the players? Just make it an npc shop at that point.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Man, what if killing Thargoids gives you a new type of currency that can be used to buy engineering materials directly, with cost based on tier

hhnnnnrrrrrrrggggg

My stance would change from "don't provoke them, live and let live" to "all the genocides"

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Prices pretty much need to be defined by players. Otherwise why even bother involving the players? Just make it an npc shop at that point.

Manly because you don't want a system in which you search for X and get back like 100 different hits all of different prices and quantities.

A system in which the prices automatically fluctuate based on supply and demand ala the commodities market would be preferable as it'd limit the likelihood of the market crashing do to some player shenanigans.

Last thing I'd want is for a particular mat to become stupidly expensive because some rich asshole bought out all of it and is reselling for a 1000% mark up.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    You don't need to see all of the prices. Just the current market best. You're not making a transaction against a specific individual. You'd be making buy or sell orders against the market.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »
    Last thing I'd want is for a particular mat to become stupidly expensive because some rich asshole bought out all of it and is reselling for a 1000% mark up.

But then, if that happens you're just where you are now anyway, you can always go and farm the mats. I'd like to buy Datamined Wake Exceptions because fuck that, but if the price is too high getting them is still pretty easy. It'd mean that people who enjoy say, driving the buggy around collecting mats could easily spin money out of it. It would also mean that all loot has some kind of credit value, where most of it now just uses storage until I shoot it into space.

• Options
    The only real downside is if they then try and tune it by introducing super rare mats that only drop 0.1% of the time or whatever. Most materials now (even the ones with low drop rates) are pretty easy to get if you put in a little time.

• Options
    A likely outcome to someone buying out the whole market and trying to scalp people for 1000% cost is that he'll make a lot of other people rich and he'll be stuck with a huge inventory of materials that he can't move because people will only buy the mats for a price that they value it for.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    So I was having a quick thought, while the galaxy map improvement coming to 2.4 and is a nice quality of life thing for players. Is it maybe more than coincidence considering the thargoids are imminent and they had a distinct ability to drop you out in another part of galaxy via witch space?

Also found the latest scare/rush for me is trying to run a cutter with no shields carrying 700+ Imp Slaves (illicit) through a mail slot of a station and not being scanned. Heart pounding.

• Options
    I hope that they have more serious plans for the Colonia region and want to make it more practical to travel there.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    I've still haven't yet been to colonia. It's on my to-do list.

I'm gathering there not much to do other than normal missions etc.

• Options
    There is nothing that interests me in Colonia. However I've always thought that if the game were to ever support players carving out chunks of space in the galaxy for themselves or owning their own stations, then it should be in an area of space far removed from the Bubble. That way any sorts of fights for control of the area won't conflict with players who want nothing to do with it.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    If they ever do something like that, it'll be in Colonia for sure.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    New flightstick day!

gl_DSC00001_1024.jpg

Still testing this puppy out. Initial thoughts- Heavy base (metal with nice grippy base), but a light stick up top that's quite sensitive. I might have to adjust the joystick curves. It returns to center from all axes, including the twist yaw (PRAISE THE LORD). My muscle memory is acting against me right now, so I'm over correcting and my thumb is looking for buttons that aren't there. I *think* this one is a winner though. I just need to get used to it.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    Any plans to get one of the MCM sticks?

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Shogun wrote: »

If you mean their Modern Combat Grip, it unfortunately isn't compatible with that particular Gladiator model.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Shogun wrote: »

If you mean their Modern Combat Grip, it unfortunately isn't compatible with that particular Gladiator model.

Yeah, the stick twist version doesn't play with those, I think. Which is pretty okay by me. I've got a thrustmaster FCS throttle, which is a ton of buttons. I don't need more, and honestly I don't even use all the ones I have.

• Options
    Okay, so I haven't mastered the stick yet, but I've got enough time with it to give some a fair assessment.

Impressions of the VKB Gladiator MK II

Pros-
    Beautiful Sensitivity. There is no mechanical deadzone here. Zero.
    Good return to center from each axis, including stick twist yaw.
    Stiff twist. You won't accidentally introduce a yaw in a maneuver unless you are meaning to do it. With the stock deadzone, it would be impossible.
    Very heavy base. This thing does not slide, at all.
    Powerful and easy to use configuration tool once you figure it out. Total control over the curves and deadzone.
    Setting joystick curves etc saves to the stick itself instead of a proxy software controller (like Thrustmaster's does). No rebinding necessary.

Cons-
    The POV is too close to the stick, making clicking right (weapons on distributor) a little uncomfortable for me.
    Way too sensitive at stock. Like, hilariously sensitive. Joystick curves are a must.
    Light stick. The base is a brick, but the stick itself is very light. I was hoping for something with a bit more weight.
    Little advanced documentation. My somewhat strong google fu had a work out to get to exactly how to set things up. The advanced manual is in Russian.

Bottom Line-
    No mechanical deadzone, great sensitivity, heavy base and powerful curve software combines to make it an excellent FA: OFF tool for Elite, which is my main focus. I kinda like that it's a sim grip for real planes as well. All in all *cue Highway to the Danger Zone*

For now the T16000M is retired. I might try to do some crazy two stick set up later, but to be honest, I really really like my throttle, so I probably won't stick with it. I'll also avoid pots in the future. Contactless sensors or bust.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    The update is out in a few days and I feel like there is zero hype for it.

Tube on
  • Options

I just hope Thargoids don't have shields.

I'm a little salty about shield cell banks and shield HP inflation, I guess. My last PvP battle was me in my shieldless FAS against a meta FDL. My FAS wasn't fit for PvP specifically, so I was just running multis and one plasma accelerator. No Feedback Cascade. So it was basically 15 minutes of dps on this guy as he went through every shield cell bank he had. It was fun, but eh. The last bounty hunting session I was facing off with an Elite Clipper. One bank popped him up to full from one ring.

I was so fucking triggered I just left.

• Options
    That's why I switched to PAs. It's not perfect, but you can normally pop the shield pretty quickly.

• Options
    That's why I switched to PAs. It's not perfect, but you can normally pop the shield pretty quickly.

Yeah, I do agree with that. Partly it's just the normal frustrations of setting up and building muscle memory with new hardware bleeding over. There are lots of weapon types in the game, and I really like the variety. I don't like feeling pigeon holed into just PAs with a long range feedback cascade rail. I have that set up on my FDL, and I like it, but for my other ships I want some variety.

• Options
    For PVP there's always going to be a flavour of the month I think. That's why I avoid it. I want to fly whatever I want.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    All that being said, shield totals are totally silly at this point. I'm afraid FDev has given up on bringing them back down after backing off twice now.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular

Yeah...well sadly they haven't done much of anything other than "Thargoids are coming...stuff will explode, there will be CGs to grind".

I'm excited because "space! aliens! woo!" but the reality of it is seeming bleak. I mean we can't even blow up cap ships and stuff, it's all just a puppet show basically. The missions need to be made atleast as complex as what a DOS space combat game could give you in order to support an interesting "war with the 'goids" type of thing. Otherwise it comes across as nothing more than Thargoid themed fetch quests. "Bring me 150 Thargoid butts" is not compelling content.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    I think it's safe to say that their strategy of "keep the Thargoid stuff very secret" hasn't really worked to build up hype. Like, I'll play it, but I don't think anyone is excited because we have zero idea what to expect.

• Options
    I think it's safe to say that their strategy of "keep the Thargoid stuff very secret" hasn't really worked to build up hype. Like, I'll play it, but I don't think anyone is excited because we have zero idea what to expect.

Agreed. It could turn out totally cool but we just have no idea at this point. Which is kind of exciting to me, but lessened by their track record of it just being the same stuff over and over.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I love playing the game when I'm into it, but I think Sandro is not the designer for Elite. His ideas of what people want are, IMO, way way off the mark. He seems to very much be a 'grind, grind, and grind some more guy'. So many missed opportunities in Elite already, and I'm afraid they are never going to go back and revisit those things.

EDIT: Changed wording

Bigity on
  • Options
    LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
    To be fair, they have said that post-2.4 will be going back and revisiting the basic game mechanics, so maybe there is still hope?

• Options
    I think this game is essentially very good and people are pretty hard on it considering we've all probably clocked up 500+ hours.

• Options
    TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    I'm right there with you in that building hype right now is hard. I've got a few friends I'm trying to rope back into playing, and the best you can say is "aliens are coming!". When questioned as to what that actually means, the hard shrug isn't very selling.

• Options
    I think this game is essentially very good and people are pretty hard on it considering we've all probably clocked up 500+ hours.

I think I'm probably around 60-100 at most here. I'm a big fan of it's visual design, fictional concepts etc but it's only fun in short bursts for me due to the gameplay just being too shallow to hold my interest.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    I've found it hard to keep playing after about 40 hours, although that's honestly not that bad! I do expect to keep coming back in small, 5 to 10 hour chunks just to fly through space some more, bit the core gameplay isn't often that fun beyond the effect of flying through vast spaces.

I want crazy alien nebulas or Big Dumb Objects to explore, and I want more on demand combat, but neither seem to gel with the intended approach.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    I come back every now and then and play for a few weeks and then take a break. I think That's Fine, and doesn't entitle me to personally attack the lead designer of the game.