As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Natural disasters] Hurricane season is upon us

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Do we still have a climate change thread? Is this the climate change thread? I've looked and looked and can't find it.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Do we still have a climate change thread? Is this the climate change thread? I've looked and looked and can't find it.

Deep in the second page of my bookmarks, but yes

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/197259/climate-change-or-how-i-stopped-worrying-and-love-rising-sea-levels#latest

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular

More Kilauea footage.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    maybe a titanium kayak and a nomex suit or something

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I am aware that many of these flows are considered safe'ish (or at least safe enough within expected parameters), at least due to existing over long periods of time and having generally predictable pathways that they follow, etc, etc.

There is still a part of my lizard brain that sees that and says NOPE GET THE FUCK AWAY FROM THE GLOWING HOT LIQUID ROCK!

It's gorgeous, but wow, I can't imagine standing that close to something like that all the same.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Drones I dearly hope.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Drones I dearly hope.

Convection remains a thing even for those though. Wonder how many have taken swan dives into the lava.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Natural desasters, british edition:

The moor, the moor is on fire
    They probably need water, everybody better get out.

skynews-moorland-fire-greater-manchester_4346645.jpg?20180627054125
    Firefighters in Greater Manchester are continuing to battle a huge fire on Saddleworth Moor after working through the night to try to control the 6km-long blaze.

Thirty-four homes were evacuated on Tuesday night in Carrbrook, Stalybridge, close to the fire, which has been raging since Sunday between Dovestones reservoir and Buckton Vale. Power to 250 properties in the area was cut overnight “for safety reasons”, according to Electricity North West, but has since been restored.

Two schools nearby have been closed on Wednesday as a safety precaution, Tameside council said.

https://theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jun/27/manchester-moorland-fire-declared-a-major-incident-by-police

sei_18836078.jpg?w=964&h=642&crop=1
    sei_18835934.jpg?w=768&h=511&crop=1

• Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    honovere wrote: »
    Natural desasters, british edition:

The moor, the moor is on fire
    They probably need water, everybody better get out.
    The moors, you say? Well I hope it wasn't a f-
    skynews-moorland-fire-greater-manchester_4346645.jpg?20180627054125

-uck

Hope those firefighters have silvered axes. This could be a trap.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

So speculation on why she’s got a gas mask:
    Brexit survivalist
    Bold fashion piece

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    That's a very beautiful photo, though.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

Brexit survivalist
    Bold fashion piece

She could also be looking for her mummy.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

Brexit survivalist
    Bold fashion piece

I think the fire brigade / army are handing them out

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular

Brexit survivalist
    Bold fashion piece

Get out of here Stalker?

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Brexit survivalist
    Bold fashion piece

Scout for the alien whose eyes are visible in the background?

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular

Brexit survivalist
    Bold fashion piece

Its either that or smell british food.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    It's Mrs. Foster!

sig.gif
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    So, FEMA have released a report (PDF) on the aftermath of the three hurricanes, Harvey, Irma and Maria.

The report is 50+ pages long, and fairly wonky, but the general summary is "We done fucked it up.". The conclusion is apparently a form of victim blaming, that Puerto Rico should be better able to help itself.

It also doesn't specify how money and resources were apportioned out (ie, all three are lumped into one sum), which was what I was wanting to see. Because I have a hunch that federal resources applied as a ratio to the severity of the disaster is probably more in favor of the skin tone of the residents, rather than the need of those affected.

But it seems clear to anyone not terminally stupid, unabashedly racist and/or cravenly political (so... disqualifying about 40% of the country), that this was not well handled, and definitely not a 10/10 response grade. And given that Katrina was barely 12 years prior, that's pretty fucking pathetic that they're still terrible at it.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I wonder if a FOIA request would produce allocation records for the money.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    In other news this weekend I have to go in the general direction of this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44932366

It's pretty bad in Greece right now with the fires.
    According to local friends on factor is that the burning area is full with not exactly legally built properties without any official planning and so many people basically fled into a maze of streets and dead ends.

Another reason is an old law that says that while you can't build in natural forest areas you can build there if the forest has burned down. This of course is a great incentive for arson.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    So, they're closing Yosemite valley today at noon due to excessive smoke from the fire right outside its front door. It is the very peak of tourist season there, so tons of lost revenue, cancelled vacations, etc...

The back parts of the park are, as far as I know, open, but the main draw has always been the valley itself, which is closed.

https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/article215400735.html

:(

4811511911_7ee949435f.jpg

VishNub on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Yeah, the local news headlines of what they were saying was pretty dire. Basically "if you can get out, get out now." I think the main concern is going to be the fact that the primary pipeline for food to the valley is cut off, so there's going to be no supplies for any visitors coming in, and everything is shutting down.

I've got a couple friends who had camping passes for this weekend, so they're unfortunately out of luck.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    In other news this weekend I have to go in the general direction of this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44932366

It's pretty bad in Greece right now with the fires.
    According to local friends on factor is that the burning area is full with not exactly legally built properties without any official planning and so many people basically fled into a maze of streets and dead ends.

Another reason is an old law that says that while you can't build in natural forest areas you can build there if the forest has burned down. This of course is a great incentive for arson.

The news coming out of Greece is just horrifying. 80 dead so far (some of the stories are just as awful as you could imagine), hundreds injured, a town largely wiped off the map. And still no official cause; but rumblings seem to be persisting about arson.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    60 mph winds knocked over a bunch of power lines and trees around here. 10 hours without power and no ETA. :(

Admittedly not much compared to PR.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    News isn't rally covering it so Im putting the word out. My city is on fire right now. Its Redding, California and its been going basically all day. Evacuation orders for the whole town. 91 thousand people. We've been hearing a lot of mixed stuff and fear mongering recently but a state of emergency was declared a few hours ago and the National Guard was sent in. The Fire Fighters are not having a great time and things are not under control. We've only heard of one death so far but there has been a severe communication breakdown and when all this is done we may find a of people missing. Even if contained so many people have lost their homes...

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    I grew up in Redding and I am pretty sure my childhood home is gone, or doomed. We did what we could to clear a defensible space but, shit, this is jumping highways and rivers. I know my family is safe because they were out of town but, like...fuck.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    News isn't rally covering it so Im putting the word out. My city is on fire right now. Its Redding, California and its been going basically all day. Evacuation orders for the whole town. 91 thousand people. We've been hearing a lot of mixed stuff and fear mongering recently but a state of emergency was declared a few hours ago and the National Guard was sent in. The Fire Fighters are not having a great time and things are not under control. We've only heard of one death so far but there has been a severe communication breakdown and when all this is done we may find a of people missing. Even if contained so many people have lost their homes...

Get out, be careful, and good luck man.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Time lapse video of the Redding fire:

Stay safe out there.

• Options
    Yeah, I've been getting notifications from sac bee.

https://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/article215642240.html

20,000 people evacuated.

• Options
    Up to 90000+ acres now, although I guess heading away from Redding proper. It did get my parents' home, though.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    And there's ANOTHER one in Mendocino County. 24,000 acres.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/fires/article215730120.html

This season is going to be insane.

E: Sorry about your family's home, Diplominator :(

Jragghen on
  • Options
    I'm trying to keep saying "it's just stuff" but, dammit, I liked some of that stuff.

It was insured and all but it just sucks that my parents have to redo so much in their 50s and 60s.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Yeah. Mega bummer. At least it’s covered. And your folks are safe.

My parents just built a house up above Sacramento in the foothills and they’re just assuming a fire is inevitable, so they’ve got insurance and a “go bag.” Nothing much else you can do...

VishNub on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Man that sucks dude

• Options
    So the greece fire were so devastaing because it was such a cascade of malicious intent, bad decisions, egoism, lack of funds etc.

I've been told by greek friends that there is apparently definite proof it was arson, like satelite imagery of fires starting along a road within minutes.
    The big theoretical firebarrier that was supposed to stop the flames from reaching the main parts of the town that burned, Marathonos Avenue, didn't work at all, because when it was built the contractor planted trees at the roadside not in accordance to fire regulations and also these weren't properly kept, probably lack of funds. So the fire crossed the road within seconds and pushed people into the sea, were some were pulled out by fishermen, but others drowned or died jumping from the cliffs.
    Some firefighters couldn't even get there because due to the ongoing crisis there weren't enough fucking working tyres for their vehicles.
    People also got trapped in an area of private, mostly illegally built vacation homes with a lot of extremely narrow streets and dead ends because the owners of the properties were never willing to give up land for public streets.

The personal stories coming out of this are just heartbraking. And so far there aren't really any serious political consequences for anyone.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    The President has finally weighed in on the wildfires that have been destroying California, leaving people homeless, and taking lives of residents and firefighters....

...By blaming "environmental laws" for the fires.

Trump: California wildfires are being magnified & made so much worse by the bad environmental laws which aren’t allowing massive amount of readily available water to be properly utilized. It is being diverted into the Pacific Ocean. Must also tree clear to stop fire spreading!

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    At least 82 dead in Indonesia due to two strong earthquakes this morning and lots of aftershocks.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Y'know, 99% Invisible did a good podcast about fire regulations recently

https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/built-to-burn/

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Viskod wrote: »
    The President has finally weighed in on the wildfires that have been destroying California, leaving people homeless, and taking lives of residents and firefighters....

...By blaming "environmental laws" for the fires.

Trump: California wildfires are being magnified & made so much worse by the bad environmental laws which aren’t allowing massive amount of readily available water to be properly utilized. It is being diverted into the Pacific Ocean. Must also tree clear to stop fire spreading!

People tend to pull together when things like fires, hurricanes, tornados and floods hit areas that deal with them frequently. It's a nice thing, even if the circumstances are awful. My mom is currently housing two people who had to evacuate Redding due to the fires.

As someone from California who lived through plenty of fires, floods and earthquakes. Go fuck yourself. I hope you lose everything you love Mr Trump.

Edit: Quite a few fires I dealt with growing up came from poorly repaired or maintained vehicles that still managed to get through inspection. If anything, the rules aren't strict enough and fireworks need to be banned like 20 years ago on a national scale instead of per county. Everyone growing up would just drive north to Medford or east to Reno.

dispatch.o on
This discussion has been closed.