As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFRK] 30th Anniversary Fest Tonight! Free 30 pull to get you started.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Farming torment Jumpstarts are really only viable if you have a team capable of reducing the effort and random factor way down.

• Options
    biscuitbutt81biscuitbutt81 Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    If you're willing to use the airplane mode trick or use a program that lets you see drops, you're guaranteed 3 major orbs per kill. Also, I have ex modes for Vaan (he does around 25k x 5 for each thief's revenge cast), lightning, and bartz, so I get really decent clear times on all of these.

biscuitbutt81 on
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    If it's at least neutral to wind or holy, then it dies screaming in agony in three or four turns, up to three of which are instant cast.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    Same for me with lightning and wind. To a lesser extent I can also do earth, fire, and water.

I should be set for dark, too, seeing as I have a Wrathable imperil in Nabaat BSB, Sephiroth BSB2 for DPS, and Vayne's SSB for extra damage and party CT0.

Holy is iffy, as my best DPS is Celes, who has to waste a bar doing no damage in order to amp up.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I have Orlandeau's OSB/BSB, Cid Raines' Holy Imperil, & Ceodore's BSB for dark. So I should be fine, I'm just not enthused about an auto-KO mechanic.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    How many major orbs do you get per run? I've never really understood running them, since it seems like the improvement compared to dailies is surprisingly small compared to the absolutely massive increase in effort.

If you spend a full day's stamina on dailies, you expect to end up with about 4 or 5 Majors' worth of orbs after conversion. Theoretically, if you got magic pots on every single round, you'd end up with 12 Majors plus your completion bonuses.

If you spend a full day's stamina on 300 Torments and take whatever random drops you get, on average you'll end up with about 14 Majors' worth after conversion. If you use means to guarantee all of your drops are Majors, you get 24.

There's definitely a difference in stamina efficiency; the question is how much of your precious time on Earth you're willing to spend at it. It depends some on how good your team is for the Torment in question - so far for most Torments I'm able to get it done in four actions per character with very low RNG variance, so the time spent on the actual fights isn't too bad. It's certainly more involved than just going on auto through a daily, though!

Fry on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Not to mention Ice has one daily a week and it's mixed with Fire but the FF8 Torment is available every day (for a while anyway.)

• Options
    Rius wrote: »
    Not to mention Ice has one daily a week and it's mixed with Fire but the FF8 Torment is available every day (for a while anyway.)

Too bad for ice I have a chronic lack of dark and black orbs.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    If you only hone when you need to hone then you can afford to just run dailies. So far at least.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Is Leaping Rush worth keeping around? Cuz it seems kinda shit.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    It's an easy shatter imo

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    It's an easy shatter imo

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Anyone I might put it on has other DPS options (Lightning with Chaincharge) or would benefit more from Dervish. Hell, Rikku does more damage with the Thief 5* abilities.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Apparently the trash in the VIII dungeons in the update can instant KO, so don't autopilot through it :/

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I was wondering why I showed up at one of the story bosses with a dead Cid.

Characters
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

I put it on zack so he has something to do after filling his bar.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    38thDoe wrote: »

This is why we hone abilities, so we get by without stress instead of struggling and being forced to use things like that.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Hmm, I've been running Dorgann in my party to level him since I picked up his BSB and SSB, and I think he might end up being a hidden gem. Decent skill spread, Atk/mag party buff for SSB and Atk/def party buff for BSB, c2 is self Atk/res and c1 ups Knight damage, plus Imperil..... Nothing game breaking but it could work in some setups.

• Options
    I have it on Lightning. Until we get the ability rebalancing, it's a better ability option than Thundering Twinstrike if she needs to use an ability after doing her BSB2 shenanigans and I'm not using UCS. Only problem is that she never gets around to using it before everything dies. I'd use it on Zell, but Lifebane and Full Charge exist.

Actually, I've never done the math on that. For Zell with BSB, how does repeating a C2 -> Full Charge/Lifebane combo compare to mashing C2 into itself until he's done enough Attacks to max out Leaping Rush?

It might be a good choice way down the line, for Zero Throttle. Field someone with a high-honed Quick Hit/Powerchain and that.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    So I still haven't done the MP this week yet. Any general advice?

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I feel that Leaping Rush has too long of a build-up required. It matches the damage output (but not the healing) of Thief's Revenge if you have already attacked 7 (!) times, and exceeds TR after 10 (!). It might be worth a look in the D250 Torments, but other than that I don't see much use for it. It also uses both Lightning and Wind orbs as secondary to go with Power as primary, so that has to be taken into consideration as well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I would just rather Doublecast Thundering Twinstrike.

This tends to come up a lot in my consideration of Other Things to Use. Even when resistances show up, since I can create my own weakness (ie- Thundering Twinstrike on Liquid Flame caps at 3 imperils).

Characters
  • Options
    LuqLuq Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Last stand is barely useful, requires constant recasting of regen to override sap. If you dont you get a weird chain of people falling over, getting back up, then dying from sap as someone else does the same before anyone gets to take an action. Had multiple wipes that went from everyone standing to 6 of 8 dead in one Last Stand and Sap chain.
    • Non-elemental damage. I took Prishe BSB w/ dmg RM. She was awesome. Ultra-Cloud and Noctis are best, Vaan does great in addition to breaking.
    • Don't be fooled and go for wind damage. Boss is immune to wind in the difficult part, the entire 2nd half of the fight.
    • Magic Blink. I brought Rosa w/ SSB.
    • Radiant Shield
    • Boostga/Hastega obv
    • Affliction Break
    • Paralyze resist, use paralyze/confuse accessory on healer
    • Attackers defend first round while defenses go up. Saw Alphinaud get hit for 9k on boss 2nd action.
    • If using Last Stand have at least one person constantly recasting memento of prayer after the boss resurrects. My winning run had 1.5.
    • Rosa's USB + Wrath is the absolute best thing to have in your party on this one.

My winning run I took Prishe (BSB, Chicken Knife, Dagger Dmg RM, lifesiphon Lifebane) and Rosa (SSB, Mako Might, Ultra Cure, Memento of Prayer). I had wrath but swapped it out for Ultra Cure when I saw someone else's Rosa w USB and wrath in my party. MVPs were USB Rosa, USB Tifa, Prishe BSB, and Shout&Entrust Ramza.

Luq on
    FFRK:jWwH RW:Onion Knight's Sage USB
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Jragghen wrote: »

gird your fuckin loins because this one is the perfect storm of unfun bullshit and of course it gates vitality motes

as long as you have a dedicated aoe regen, some competent healers and good dps you should be ok

ps. do NOT attack at the start of the fight before wall and protect are up unless you want someone to take a 9k counter sap

Beasteh on
  • Options
    Spectrum wrote: »
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    And Hydra makes 6.

Genuinely surprised I still got the mastery. Guess Y'shtola's bubbles ate a lot more than I expected. Plenty of minor miscues and Quake Strike is only at R2 because I have no idea where my black majors went. Dorgann is also still only at 80 since I'm back to saving up eggs for the FFXV CM in a few weeks. Bartz and Cloud still both put solid damage, but no triple cast procs, which was sad. Y'shtola was very taxed on healing, but held in there and specifically targeted Cloud for the last second full heal before it wiped everyone but him with yet another Savage Thunder.

I could legend dive her to help. Maybe. She's my strongest raw healer. But we'll wait and see after 30th fest and whatnot. I have a shitload of amazing white mage relics. I'm extremely spoiled for choice and it's a little paralyzing, which is why I dived Shan even though I haven't touched her for a single magicite thing. Still need some random other motes to finish Bartz's 4* sphere to get him fully legend dived.
    Is that Bartz with BSB3 or just BSB1? And legend dived? USB or no?

USB. I have his BSB1, 2 (both unused), and his LMR (also never triggered) but not his BSB3.

This, aside from the lit magicite, is what I used to beat it.

Definitely should've used Dr. Mog on Y'shtola instead since healing was light at the start and I used someone else for Fabula anyway. Even with enEarth, Dorgan was only doing ~10k with Gaia Cross, so he should've definitely been in the back row and just wrathing or BSBing.

E:
    Huh. I missed the lit resist on Dorgann? Well, another thing that could be improved, I guess.
    Was the chase making it worthwhile for you for Bartz, then? My math was showing either the BSB command or the relatively weaker modifier on Quake Strike doing maybe 8k at most on its own. At that point you're basically just better off with Piercing Strike. Or is one of those an Earth booster on him?

I can try running it again tomorrow and pay a little more attention to the numbers. I want to say it was doing in the 2.7k-3.5k range per hit on chase, which is still a solid 24kish extra half the time, so nothing to sneeze at. I think it was around 6k per hit on his USB. Fast cast makes it hard to really compare. I know I left at least one bar on the table in Bartz though.

And yes, that's Dorgann's earth armor.

Damage just seems higher than calculator is reporting, even with factoring in the Earth+ armor...ah, maybe 2 Imperil stacks? No, still higher. I'm still only seeing chase hits of 1.7k.

Don't sweat it if you weren't planning on running it tomorrow, I'm just trying to resolve math for my own run, since my Hydra team is slow as shit because of my pitiful earth options.

To follow up, chase hits were ~2.2k or ~2.5k depending on the amount of imperil. Second run was going fantastic until it decided to Savage Thunder twice in the last ten seconds or so, killing everybody but Cloud and Ramza while Y'sh was in mid-Asylum. Oh well. Still won thanks in large part to Cloud double Omega Driving, especially at the end. Enlil obtained. More to be farmed later.

A mere 70 runs left to get at least one copy of every 3* at 99.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    mercurialchemistermercurialchemister Registered User regular
    I would disagree slightly about last stand in the current MP. If you don't have any regen then yes, it's next to worthless, but if you bring regen (especially Kirin or the 3* white magic) then Last Stand can actually do good work in the fight. Especially if you don't have an instant medica.

• Options

This is why we hone abilities, so we get by without stress instead of struggling and being forced to use things like that.

O.o

It's not a question of Hones. Zack has no useful skills.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Should Ramza with USB be running an Entrust setup, or should he be spamming Wrath so as to use the USB as frequently as possible?

• Options
    I would disagree slightly about last stand in the current MP. If you don't have any regen then yes, it's next to worthless, but if you bring regen (especially Kirin or the 3* white magic) then Last Stand can actually do good work in the fight. Especially if you don't have an instant medica.

Yeah that's accurate. I got burned a lot by the LS/Sap chain though, even on runs where I had Rosa cast it every turn in 2nd phase. My winning run I had last stand save one person. We would've won without it but only because of 2 clutch Rosa USB plays.

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular

O.o

Zack can chain-charge what are you talkin' bout

• Options

O.o

Man, Zack has Powerchain and Full Charge. That combo may not rule the roost anymore, but it's still plenty strong.

• Options
    Narbus wrote: »

O.o

Sadly on hardest content this doesn't seem to be enough anymore. Or at least R3 ChainCharge combo isn't enough. R4 might do it, but daaayumn. Dem orbs.

• Options
    I think I'm just going to equip Faris with Affliction Break & USB/BSB, and Y'Shtola with BSB & Memento and hop in MP while letting other people deal damage.

Characters
  • Options
    Narbus wrote: »

O.o

Well at least one slot is lifesiphon so that doesn't work.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    Should Ramza with USB be running an Entrust setup, or should he be spamming Wrath so as to use the USB as frequently as possible?

why not both

• Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular

If you're using it for the buff, bring Entrust. If you're using it for the CT0, bring two Wraths and give him Ace Striker.

• Options
    edited September 2017

O.o

A chain charger.

Has no abilities.

Also, spellblade 3, so elemental coverage too.

Okay.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    My Zack can Chain Wind so he's pretty helpful.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Beasteh wrote: »

why not both

Well, Entrust means periodically dumping his whole meter over yonder, whereas solely using Wrath means ever more frequent party instacast, due to the fact that Wrath is a little more than 50% of a bar when using Battleforged. Not sure if that could lead to a double event somewhere down the line, but the pace definitely quickens over the course of a fight.

I suppose it boils down to which strategy works best for a given team. If I'm fielding someone who's absolute garbage at building meter (like Strago), or if im running someone who chews through bars like candy (like Lightning or Terra), then Entrust is probably the way to go.

Enlong on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Oh yeah, lets all get wet for Spellblade 3.

• Options
    A steak! wrote: »
    Oh yeah, lets all get wet for Spellblade 3.

I still use my Spellblade 3 skills. Outside of Magicite (and with the right boosts, inside of Magicite), it can easily land 9999 hits on the way to building your first bar.

This discussion has been closed.