Options

[FFRK] 30th Anniversary Fest Tonight! Free 30 pull to get you started.

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Well, that went much better than the last time I beat this guy.
    r0D8KWp.png
    Time is down by almost 22 seconds. I cut Beatrix out for Cloud, which obviously resulted in a ton more damage (just spamming Omega Drive after his USB), and let Ramza cover Banishing Strike. Resulted in me just having to eat all of the magic AOEs though, and pray for no slows through the affliction break. If I got slow'd at all in the winning run, it must have been right before a BSB or Shout.

Also, hey there, bro.
    jfNiqPi.png

Now just imagine how far I can get that time down when Squall gets his dualcast LM...

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Beat Bismark, but I had TG Cid OSB and the Lightning combo, so it's no major feat. I got dual Bismarks though, and I didn't realize that when you break their cap it also changes their AI. Lunge chance went down and Breach Blast and Watera chances went up. That's pretty neat.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    I got liquid flame tonight and I am probably bringing Ramza and Onion as ninjas

My only water SB of note is Tidus BSB

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    120 Shadow Lord was a trickier fight than I initially thought and he switched between immunities way quicker than I would have expected. Ended up RW Vanille Burst for on-demand medica + magic damage and swapped out Zack for Rapha to bring the thunder. Even then, still ended up taking a ton of damage and just barely squeaked out the Champion. Hopefully the 140 is someone different because wow that was annoying.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Dang. The weekly magicite missions aren't retroactive. Gonna be Tuesday before anyone who's been doing a magicite a day can claim the rewards.

edit: I'm looking at Monk's RM3. Very small chance to basically use Chakra when hit physically. How small is this chance? Because it might be good for tanks, even if Gaffgarion's level 99 RM is probably better.

Enlong on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Dang. The weekly magicite missions aren't retroactive. Gonna be Tuesday before anyone who's been doing a magicite a day can claim the rewards.

edit: I'm looking at Monk's RM3. Very small chance to basically use Chakra when hit physically. How small is this chance? Because it might be good for tanks, even if Gaffgarion's level 99 RM is probably better.

Almost negligible. 10%.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options

Almost negligible. 10%.

Alright. I'll focus on Gaffgarion, then.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Golem is rough. Earth Shaker punches for a lot even through the usual defenses, Earth-resist accessories, and BarEarth from Fenrir.

edit:

Uuuuuugh yeah. No. I can't take him down with just Enwind. I need to use a chain or an imperil or something to take him down before he spams Earthsakers at me until I keel over. And since no magicites give that effect, I'm gonna have to hope I get something of Faris's on Thursday.

Enlong on
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Continuing my trip around the magicites in reverse order:
    Liquid Flame > Bismarck > Hydra

Got there just under the buzzer with 59.34. Yang BSB and Tifa USB for damage, Relm BSB and Eiko BSB to heal, Ramza on Shout + USB. The damage output was way less than I was expecting from the hype. Some of that is because Major Regen is silly and does a ton of healing, but even so, I lost zero medals for damage taken, compared to losing two for damage to Bismarck. Fortunately I had planned ahead and equipped Eiko with Titan to chip in a little damage.

...I could actually claim the first weekly mission bonus today if I wanted. Theoretically I could even have finished each dungeon once by the end of the day! I don't know that I'll be able to finish the circuit in reverse order, though. Golem is a tough cookie. My physical wind stuff is way less good than most folks, and I only have about half of a magic wind team. We'll see whether I can pull it together.

edit: it just occurred to me that Yang BSB and Tifa USB were both 100 gem pulls. I guess I'm pay 2 win :X

Fry on
  • Options
    Uuuuuugh. I almost got Golem, but then I hit his hard enrage timer.

TBH, I dunno how I'd even build my party if I did get an Imperil Wind from Faris. One-DPS-Entrust to Luneth, with Faris and Minfilia Entrusting, and Onion and Larsa healing?

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Oh go fuck yourself.

OpeIAGel.png

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Hmm I wanted to get sea lion down today to help with the torment that goes away tomorrow night but I might need to kill flame first. That savage blizzard hurts!
    Also I'm kind of at a loss on what to bring for Cloud since Hailstorm is not a great idea.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Another day, another 2 hours slamming my head against Liquid Flame and getting no where. I am not sure what I need to change entirely, but obviously something has got to give. Sarah seems to be able to solo heal easily (she is a damned beast in every magicite I have used her honestly) but I just cannot find the damage. My best options are Paine SSB, and Bartz OSB. After what could be considered options drops dramatically. Like Terra spamming C2 bad. Mind you she can get up to 16k a pop, but that didn't seem to be enough last time I used her. I am open to clever suggestions. Entrusting Paine isn't working for me.

Hydra, however, went down super hard. Lost the first round to poor choices for who summons the magicite and when, but cruised through on the second try with a 42 second clear. I might be able to shave off more time, but I am not entirely certain how. Probably with Entrust shenanigans. Maria with meltdown and bsb, Tifa with meteor crusher and bsb, Ramza with phantasn and usb, OK with bsb, and Sarah with BSB. Tifa has her LMR as well I guess, but it didn't really amount to anything substantial I don't think. Ramza could do more here somehow I feel, but I will tweak him later.

I think I am going to start building and saving teams like someone else suggested. Magicites seem to warrant it. The hard part is going to be names. Bismarck is obvious enough (Shock and Awe) but others elude me. Ice is my biggest struggle because I want to name them Ice Ice Baby, but that would have to be a team that runs Vanille right? I don't think she would fit as healer though. The lack of magic blink would make farming a stupidly large pain in the ass.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    AubxWOtl.pngw0DoHj0l.png

Eat shit, flame face. Really doubtful I can beat Hydra in under 1 min. Cloud USB empowered was very disappointing. Might need a new strategy.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Man, I don't know how Golem is going to work. If I stack everything up on Alphinaud, I can maybe get 40k per cast out of his burst. That is not going to get the job done in anything resembling a reasonable time frame. Is the answer really just to create and hone a bunch of copies of Gust and chip him out 9999 at a time?

• Options
    edited August 2017
    The answer for me was Fujin BSB + LMR, Emperor with Meltdown + BSB, Yuna with Tiamat and Onion with Raging Storm

It's the one fight where you straight up need 2 good magic wind SBs and well honed wind magic or you're proper fucked

Beasteh on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    Man, I don't know how Golem is going to work. If I stack everything up on Alphinaud, I can maybe get 40k per cast out of his burst. That is not going to get the job done in anything resembling a reasonable time frame. Is the answer really just to create and hone a bunch of copies of Gust and chip him out 9999 at a time?

If you don't have good wind relics, party of ninja and Gust+Raging Storm will get you a solid win from everything I've seen.

Unfortunately the same can't quite be said for Liquid Flame and Water Veil and there's no options really for Earth. =/

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Not owning Onion burst also seems like a huge blow to my chances to ninja my way past Golem.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Woof. That...wasn't pretty.

Fenrir clear - 1:12
    -Kuja - MM+Blizzaga - BSB
    -Raines - Wrath+Dire Heal - BSB
    -FuSoYa - Chain Blizzaga + Haste - SSB
    -Onion Knight - Wrath + Entrust - BSB+OSB
    -Vanille - Curaja + Protectga - BSB (Legend Dive)

Was trying to replicate a strategy I saw someone do on Reddit, only subbing Kuja for Seymour and Vanille for Larsa. It was kind of a mess, though. I tried cutting wind resistance for slow resistance on most of the party, but that meant a LOT of incoming damage. Plus the guy with no slow resist never got slowed while it stuck at least two or three times on other people, so ???. It took Vanille's dualcasts being on point and Sealion's wind-blink to keep us up. Even then the damage just wasn't there. I think maybe Wrathing and Entrusting was a poor use of OK's time, because I landed an OSB at the end for 33k and that was probably better than I was getting from other people. In the end everyone was dead except Raines who finished it with one last instant BSB. There are some substitutions I could try but I don't think any of them would solve the main problems.

Oh well, I got Fenrir and Enkidu and that's all I really need. Someday when I have a real party I can go back for mastery and leveling copies.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Wow, notorious reddit whale gets sub 30 Liquid Flame clear with no water damage:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/6wdhju/2847_liquid_flame_bringing_the_reta_meta_back/

Cloud USB, Onion BSB, Cid VII Pilot's Steel, Ramza Chant. Reta Meta is back!

Fry on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »

If you don't have good wind relics, party of ninja and Gust+Raging Storm will get you a solid win from everything I've seen.

Unfortunately the same can't quite be said for Liquid Flame and Water Veil and there's no options really for Earth. =/

I dunno, Water Veil (and Water Veil, and Water Veil, and Phantasm) did awesome for me against Liquid Flame. @Gnizmo you might want to see if you can fit some Ninjas in somewhere, too.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    5/6 Down!

41l4kbh60bde.png

bmooii4qapw2.png

This wasn't as straightforward as I thought it would be, given my Fire stuff. Sealion does a shitload of melee damage to frontliners even with Wall+Protect, so I had to move Refia to the back row and give her that +Fire thrower from WoFF. Who ever knew that'd be useful?

Double +Fire gear for both DPS (though it meant using +Stat RMs instead of +Damage) worked out really well. In Burst Mode, Refia was essentially capping Fire Shooter Thing, though I only have 4 uses. Braska was hitting 20k C2s and his exit C1 did 36k, that Burst is beast. Capped Valiagarmanda at 30k too. Made up for his 9k Meltdowns at the start of the fight.

Onion hit 15k with Smouldering Flames, but again only 4 casts. I seriously need Ice and Lightning orbs, and I should get back on the Dark farming train.

Ramza contributed 5.7k per hit with the 3* Fire Ninja. I'm really starting to like Ninja+Entrust as opposed to Wrath+Entrust.

Vanille continues to be super MVP tier. I really got lucky with her BSB/USB, each of these fights so far has really benefitted from one or the other.

Not sure what I'm going to do for Fenrir, my Ice options are super, super weak. I will probably have to go full Non-Elemental, even with Fran's USB; it's just not enough damage. Maybe I'll pull tonight and try for Ayame's Burst.

P.S. the sprite effect from Liquid Flame's Ice Blink makes it REALLY hard to see character HP, DeNa pls.

Rius on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Wow, sub 30 Liquid Flame clear with no water damage:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/6wdhju/2847_liquid_flame_bringing_the_reta_meta_back/

The Magicite Dungeons have definitely inspired creativity and cleverness in the community. That's impressive.

• Options
    Rius wrote: »

I dunno, Water Veil (and Water Veil, and Water Veil, and Phantasm) did awesome for me against Liquid Flame. Gnizmo you might want to see if you can fit some Ninjas in somewhere, too.

I tried with two ninjas and Paine earlier and it didn't give. Are you saying the answer is just more of them? I have ninjas for days. I can throw a stupid supply of ninjas at a problem. Paine, Edge, Ramza, OK, and healer maybe.

• Options
    Wow, sub 30 Liquid Flame clear with no water damage:

Reta Meta didn't need four top tier relics hehe

• Options
    Gnizmo wrote: »

I dunno, Water Veil (and Water Veil, and Water Veil, and Phantasm) did awesome for me against Liquid Flame. Gnizmo you might want to see if you can fit some Ninjas in somewhere, too.

I tried with two ninjas and Paine earlier and it didn't give. Are you saying the answer is just more of them? I have ninjas for days. I can throw a stupid supply of ninjas at a problem. Paine, Edge, Ramza, OK, and healer maybe.

Yeah man, Ninja it up. I don't think you can do enough damage with pure Ninja, but if you've got Paine BSB I think the party you just listed will work.

My clear was 1:04 and had Tidus BSB, Fujin Phantasm/Veil, Onion Burst/Veil, Ramza Veil/Entrust, and Vanille USB for Stock/Astra. For the first ~40 seconds it felt like I was taking no damage, I was cycling him so fast. I wrote it up a page or two ago.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Sea Lion down, 54 sec clear with
    Cloud Omega Drive/5* Fire Strike +30% sword damage
    Zack Lifesiphon/Lifesiphon Ace Striker
    Ysh Curaga/Wrath Ace Striker
    Tyro Lifesiphon/Entrust MM
    Alphinaud Shellga Curaja DMT

Basically Zack summoned wall, Cloud Attacked, Ysh wrathed Alph cast deployment tactics and tyro cast USB for haste and to heal.
    Ysh wrathed as long as possible then cast Asylum and medica and aslyum, zack got chain up for cloud and then cast shared protect. Tyro entrusted his second bar to Cloud, then recast USB, then cast BSB to save us. Alph kept shell deployment tactics and wall up. Zack kept chain and protect up. They shared enkidu summons.
    Cloud used USB then Omega Drive till it ran out, refreshing USB, then used BSB 2 to finish it. Actually he finished himself against Radiant Shield. I would say Radiant Shield did 10k+ per AOE. Maybe double on some savage wings pre protect.

The hilarious thing is I can't use most earned magicite because I'm too worried about reducing my radiant shield damage. Delicate balance.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options

Yeah man, Ninja it up. I don't think you can do enough damage with pure Ninja, but if you've got Paine BSB I think the party you just listed will work.

My clear was 1:04 and had Tidus BSB, Fujin Phantasm/Veil, Onion Burst/Veil, Ramza Veil/Entrust, and Vanille USB for Stock/Astra. For the first ~40 seconds it felt like I was taking no damage, I was cycling him so fast. I wrote it up a page or two ago.

What was the other ability you gave to Ramza? I don't recognize it at all.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    I think that's affliction break. I'll make that someday. Maybe.

Speaking of crystals, is there anything to use summoning crystals on besides the two nightmare ones? I don't have any ether abilities, so I'm not sure I'd ever use one of those.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options

What was the other ability you gave to Ramza? I don't recognize it at all.

Oh yeah, that's Affliction Break. Between that and Astra and the fast cycling I didn't get Paralyzed at all.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    The hit rate on Liquid Flame's paralyze is pretty low (21%) until he gets to berserk mode, and you might not even see the attack if he doesn't happen to switch to Hand form very often. It took me several attempts to actually win the fight, and I don't think I actually saw anyone get paralyzed, with zero countermeasures in place.

Fry on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    15% on Fenrir, including when the jerk physical blinked as Lightning was about to land an OSB (wouldn't have made a difference, it just made me really mad), before everything fell off and he started murdering people. That was around 1:07. That was also after the "FIRE EVERYTHING" moment at about 40% where Lightning & Orlandeau alternated OSBs four times to see if they could do anything.

I don't think I was fortunate on the RNG either, so I suppose it's technically possible.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Fenrir cleared at 1:07.57, Expert only. I'm pretty confident I can get Mastery and sub a minute but he needs to RNG screw me much less and I probably want to save the Magicite cast for later and/or not use it at all for more damage reflect.

Setup:
    1bMM1aHl.pngDjYY637l.png
    Major Wind resist on Alphinaud, Moderate on Serah and Rinoa.

https://youtu.be/UL0tNCN7WPU

He slowed Alphinaud right before Hasting so I took more spike damage there and he landed at least one slow on Rinoa. Rinoa also didn't manage to get enough meter to cycle BSB entries somehow, so that was awesome.

Moving my moderate resist from Rinoa to Shantotto next time, I think that's the only equipment change I need to make.

I have almost literally ZERO Hydra options (Rinoa Unique aura) so I don't know what I'm going to do there and I already failboated on Liquid Flame.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    If you can get a Shell Dragon Magicite from Golem, you might be able to build a team that can exploit its Imperil Earth. Give Rinoa Chain Stonega and Meltdown (or Stoneja, if you need something that can be honed higher) to start, perhaps.

Thank you, everyone who reminded me of RES-ignoring Ninja bullshit. I was able to use that to defeat Golem!

1:22.96, and I think he was Enraged, so it was not a clean win. But enough to satisfy Cid until I can get better Wind options. He dropped a Shell Dragon, though. Maybe now I can make a magic Earth team without Guy.

Rapha: Meltdown, Gust | Ace Striker | Heaven's Wrath
    Onion: Raging Storm, Phantasm | Mako Might | Vessel of Fate
    Larsa: Shellga, Curada | Battleforged | Life Crystal, Manufacted Marvel
    Mog: Protectga, Curaga | Dr Mog's Teachings | Love Serenade
    Strago: Ultros(waste of time), Curaja | Blood of Espers | Lore

The ninja magic combined with Strago's Burst gave me enough RES-piercing tools to chip away at Golem's health, in spite of my total lack of magic wind tools.

I think getting a better time, or Champion, will require me to lay my hands on a strong magic Enwind burst, or a Wind Imperil for my physical team.

Enlong on
  • Options
    If you can get a Shell Dragon Magicite from Golem, you might be able to build a team that can exploit its Imperil Earth. Give Rinoa Chain Stonega and Meltdown (or Stoneja, if you need something that can be honed higher) to start, perhaps.

I don't have any other sources of Earth damage unfortunately (CMD2 on Bartz's BSB1 but that's junk) ...maybe take Prishe with Meteor Crush or something. I'll have to check the math. If I give her MM I can have her with Meteor Crush and Lifebane to combo around with her BSB...

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited August 2017
    Managed to get a one-shot, sub 1:00 mastery on Sea Lion through the power of Balthier's imperil BSB and Papalymo's BSB. I just have the Fire one to go and I'll have finished the ciruit, but the entirety of my Water relics are Tidus's OSB and Yuffie's USB. Maybe that's enough?

EDIT - Bartz's OSB as well, I guess

A duck! on
  • Options
    Ok. Something is up with my menu. My Cid Missions icon has a reading of 2 on it, which would suggest that I have 2 rewards to collect. But I have no uncollected rewards.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Well shit, Ninjas really do cure what ails ya:

Continuing my trip around the magicites in reverse order:
    Liquid Flame > Bismarck > Hydra > Golem

Best time yet: 51.08 seconds. WTF.

Alphinaud: Maduin, Protectga, +30% Weakness damage, BSB+Deployment Tactics, wind boost hat
    Krile: R2 Meltdown, R3 Tiamat, Mako Might, Sheepsong
    Edge: R3 Raging Storm, another R3 Raging Storm (crafted for this fight), +40% Ninja damage, Eblan Doppelganger, wind boost hat
    Yuna: Curada, Shellga, Dr Mog's Teachings, BSB2
    Ramza: R5 Wrath, R2 Entrust, Battleforged, USB

My mage gear sucks, so Krile's damage was pretty bad - 3x2.5k for Meltdowns, only two hits for Tiamat even with four buffs up for 2x4.5k. Obviously she ran out of stuff to do before the end, so just stood around reflecting damage. Edge was good for 19k per action with two buffs or 20k with three, and Last Stand and Blink saved my run when things got crazy at the end. Alphinaud's damage with Maduin was something like 2x2.5k, so Ramza rushed to get him a first meter so he could start pumping out 4x5k with his C1. Ramza then sent a couple more bars over around the 22 second mark so Alphinaud could turn on damage reflect as the Savage Earth Shakers started and continue with 8x5k from his second and subsequent bursts.

Maybe sustained DPS really is the way to go, rather than trying to blow everything up all at once. I am however pretty much out of ice orbs now. Hope the VIII Torment gets here soon so I can farm some of those.

Fry on
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Liquid Flame down in 0:57

Tidus @ Lifesiphon/Sapphire Shot, Truthseeker (BSB)
    Lulu @ Chain Waterga/blank slot, Dreamguide (BSB)
    Ramza @ Water Veil/Lifesiphon, Mako Might (USB)
    Onion Knight @ Water Veil/Protectga, Dr. Mog's Teachings (BSB)
    Y'shtola @ Wrath/Shellga, Gathering Storm (BSB)

I could have used Rikku for the imperil but I'm kind of iffy on crafting yet another Sapphire Shot, just waiting on Edge in 2 weeks

Beasteh on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I feel like I'm going into the Bartz banner with the mindset of: "Okay, you're going to solve 2 of my Magicite problems, and if I'm lucky 3." With the consolation prize of "Hey, Faris imperils wind now".

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
This discussion has been closed.