As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] The FAQ has arrived

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Played a game with my four Foul Blightspawn in it today.

They are OP as fuck. Just so so insane.
    Chapter approved stuff:
    Pro: Hellforged Contemptor greatly reduced in cost
    Con: Zarakynael greatly increased in cost (seriously, 460 to 666?!?)
    Wash: No hoped-for reduction to Chaos Terminator cost

Chaos Termis are a lot of bang for the buck. At least my 5 squad is with combi-plasma. I wasn't expecting a point reduction.

Defiler got cheaper though! 12 points. Which makes my current budget build on it even better. Basically making the reaper free.

I wonder how low Vindicators will go before people actually use them. 125 points is a 10 point reduction still for a d3 shot verse big things and a d6 verse hordes makes them still over priced.

Plagueburst Crawlers are only 21 points more, always have d6, ignore LOS, reroll 1’s to wound, have two dark lances, a 5 shot heavy bolter, an invulnerable save, T8, 12 wounds, and disgustingly resilient.

So I’m guessing they have to go even lower.

Well CSM don't have access to crawlers unless we take a DG detachment.

But the crawlers are also under priced for its amazing loadout.

Depends how you build your list and what legion your using. Let’s day your emperors children, there’s nothing say you can take a generic CHAOS detachment for all your heavy stuff and bring the Crawlers in that, because your legion trait does very little for them anyway. Same for Black Legion, Word Bearers or hell even Death Guard.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Played a game with my four Foul Blightspawn in it today.

They are OP as fuck. Just so so insane.
    Chapter approved stuff:
    Pro: Hellforged Contemptor greatly reduced in cost
    Con: Zarakynael greatly increased in cost (seriously, 460 to 666?!?)
    Wash: No hoped-for reduction to Chaos Terminator cost

Chaos Termis are a lot of bang for the buck. At least my 5 squad is with combi-plasma. I wasn't expecting a point reduction.

Defiler got cheaper though! 12 points. Which makes my current budget build on it even better. Basically making the reaper free.

I wonder how low Vindicators will go before people actually use them. 125 points is a 10 point reduction still for a d3 shot verse big things and a d6 verse hordes makes them still over priced.

Plagueburst Crawlers are only 21 points more, always have d6, ignore LOS, reroll 1’s to wound, have two dark lances, a 5 shot heavy bolter, an invulnerable save, T8, 12 wounds, and disgustingly resilient.

So I’m guessing they have to go even lower.

Well CSM don't have access to crawlers unless we take a DG detachment.

But the crawlers are also under priced for its amazing loadout.

Depends how you build your list and what legion your using. Let’s day your emperors children, there’s nothing say you can take a generic CHAOS detachment for all your heavy stuff and bring the Crawlers in that, because your legion trait does very little for them anyway. Same for Black Legion, Word Bearers or hell even Death Guard.

Which is pretty much what I mentioned.

Ehh I am not a huge fan of Chaos Soup. I understand it for super competitive tournaments but unless you are doing Black Legion or Renegades monogod feels more right to me.

In other news, BA preview 1 is up. And it looks nasty.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/11/27/chapter-focus-blood-angels/

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I got a Fellblade a few weeks ago and Chapter Approved increased it's points cost by 200 before I could even get it into a game. I'm only lightly salted about it though, since it's a model for Apocalypse or other infrequent large point games anyway. We'll see how it compares pointswise when the Astraeus gets released I guess.

I like that Chapter Approved exists, but at the same time I think there are going to be examples of certain units that, depending on their wargear, might require a player to have to check three different books to get an accurate points cost for a single unit and that is really goofy.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    One nice thing about the tablet ebook codexes is they automatically update points costs. So if you have one of those and don’t care about all the extra stuff you don’t really need to get CA.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    One nice thing about the tablet ebook codexes is they automatically update points costs. So if you have one of those and don’t care about all the extra stuff you don’t really need to get CA.

Hm.

This is making me think a tablet + ebooks may be the way to go for actually playing games. Lugging around a Rulebook, Index, Chapter Approved, and (eventually) multiple Codexes is going to get tiresome.

• Options
    Flipping through physical books is a lot faster than going through multiple files and pages on a tablet, which is their one major benefit.

I think my longterm plan will be to print out specific datasheets (with custom edits for Index weapon options) with stats and point costs for the units I am taking in my army on a particular day, coupled with a tablet for looking up anything I didn't bring on paper. An entire army's worth of sheets would fit in a very small binder.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    To be fair, you shouldn't need to check a unit's point costs during a game.

We're long overdue for an official army builder hosted on their website, though.

• Options
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    We're long overdue for an official army builder hosted on their website, though.

Would have been nice if they had done that right after C&Ding the one perfectly usable free one we had for years.

• Options
    Last I heard from folks who were at the meet and great happy hour at NoVA with GW is that it is being worked on but was pushed to the right for the paint app.

Till then I will still use Battlescribe. Just double check it before going to a tourney but most of the time it is fine.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I'm just writing annotations into my codexes with a pen. It's oddly therapeutic, and probably good for remembering things from FAQs/erratas.
    I also write all the point costs onto the unit's datasheet, along with loadouts I commonly use so I can just plug them into an excel sheet without having to add up wargear.

Already I can see myself running out of margin room though. Might need to invest in some good whiteout.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »
    I'm just writing annotations into my codexes with a pen. It's oddly therapeutic, and probably good for remembering things from FAQs/erratas.
    I also write all the point costs onto the unit's datasheet, along with loadouts I commonly use so I can just plug them into an excel sheet without having to add up wargear.

Already I can see myself running out of margin room though. Might need to invest in some good whiteout.

Why not just a new book?

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    $50 codex seems rather excessive when compared to a 2$ cartridge of whiteout tape. I'd also have to re-transcribe all my notes anyway.

To clarify, I'm running out of margin room because there's already been 3 FAQs/pointadjustments.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    I just made an excel sheet with all units and wargear, and data validation. If anyone wants a copy, hit me up. Just need to plug your army's unit/wargear names/prices in, and the sheet handles all the math for you.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    I just made an excel sheet with all units and wargear, and data validation. If anyone wants a copy, hit me up. Just need to plug your army's unit/wargear names/prices in, and the sheet handles all the math for you.

I have this for my CSM.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I remember last edition when there was the formation with 5 sorcerers who all had 4 different powers and wargear options. I had to make a big laminated sheet with their portraits and a hundred little boxes to checkmark all their stuff on.

It will take a lot of complicated paperwork in 8th to make me want to go back to that.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Blood Angels preview is out

Blood Angels are looking like they're back to rip and tear
    40kBA-Nov27-Boxout7lra.jpg

The Red Thirst gives all Blood Angels units +1 to wound when they charge, are charged or make a Heroic Intervention. With the new wound roll chart, this makes getting 2+ to wound that much easier, as well as helping your smaller units damage even your enemies’ toughest monsters and vehicles with ease. Just imagine a unit of Reivers dropping in with this! All Blood Angels successors use the Red Thirst and other Blood Angels rules too – as if Gabriel Seth needed to get even deadlier…

• Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    My made-to-order bonesinger just arrived. Significantly more in the box than I expected. A Christmas card, Christmas gift guide, Necromunda pin, Metal! Bonesinger, and mini booklet with the bonesinger rules in each language (except the other one I'd find useful, Japanese). All in all a surprising haul.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Blood Angels preview is out

Blood Angels are looking like they're back to rip and tear
    40kBA-Nov27-Boxout7lra.jpg

The Red Thirst gives all Blood Angels units +1 to wound when they charge, are charged or make a Heroic Intervention. With the new wound roll chart, this makes getting 2+ to wound that much easier, as well as helping your smaller units damage even your enemies’ toughest monsters and vehicles with ease. Just imagine a unit of Reivers dropping in with this! All Blood Angels successors use the Red Thirst and other Blood Angels rules too – as if Gabriel Seth needed to get even deadlier…

“A unit with this ability” implies it is a special rule rather than the BA chapter trait (like disgustingly resilient).

Either way it is an excellent rule for a Melee heavy army. Means you never need a 6+ to wound no matter what their toughness is. It also means they wound other MEQ on 3’s and any T3 model on a 2+.

I haven’t done all the maths but it seems you could make the marines str 6 and it would still be worse than this buff.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    It's described as:

"Firstly, Blood Angels are fittingly blessed with a melee-focused army wide special rule, the Red Thirst"

What's the difference?

Karl on
  • Options
    Firstly, Blood Angels are fittingly blessed with a melee-focused army wide special rule, the Red Thirst:
    From the community site.
    That said, it's probably the same as other marine traits, so infantry and dreads only (no angry tank treads!). It's a pretty nuts melee rule though.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    I'm not sure if it's too OP but it fits in well with the BA playstyle

Get close and beat the shit out of the enemy in close quarters.

I imagine a Blood Angels vs World Eater battle is just them punching each other to death

• Options
    And as I joked about in the SE 40K lore thread

Flying psychic dreadnaughts will never stop being brilliant

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    All army traits are worded like that or similarly.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    The new version of the Hammerhand psychic power is also +1 to wound rolls and it's definitely nice, but I think they'd be better off focusing on ways to let melee armies actually get into melee with something other than chaff units. Maybe by giving flamers a scaling bonus based on unit size.

Edit: Oh! Or better still, a way to outmaneuver the chaff gunline, start adding in exceptions to the 9" deep strike standoff range. Maybe ignore it completely when coming in off a table edge? It's a little silly when someone "fills" literally their entire deployment zone, but its mostly full of empty space.

Lanlaorn on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I'm not sure how the fluff and the rules intersect (haven't actually played since the 90s), but, if the Blood Angels are getting Primaris marines, wouldn't they not have the Red Thirst, since it is a genetic devolution?

Might be interesting to have an army where the 30K troops are disciplined ranged warriors and the 40K troops are fucking melee vampires.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Primaris Marines don't suffer the chapter's gene defects, yet. Probably until gw gets around to releasing chapter specific kits with second go around of marine dexes.

• Options
    I'm not sure how the fluff and the rules intersect (haven't actually played since the 90s), but, if the Blood Angels are getting Primaris marines, wouldn't they not have the Red Thirst, since it is a genetic devolution?

Might be interesting to have an army where the 30K troops are disciplined ranged warriors and the 40K troops are fucking melee vampires.

I will have to double check but I think the primaris don't have the rule according to the article. I know the CP ability to give someone black rage can't be used on primaris units.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I hope they get some version of Descent of Angels that can make them as mobile as Tyranids, because that’s the gold standard for fast moving armies now. If Death Company are as scary as Zerkers, have better mobility than regular jump troops, and get decent buffs from Sanguinary Priests, then they might do alright.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    They have a 1CP stratagem that lets them take any Jump unit on the table (even in close combat) and redeploy them anywhere not within 9" of an enemy. Sounds pretty mobile to me…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    If you have actual movement shenanigans you can usually do a lot better than nine inches away, though.

For example I feel that the Sanguinary spell to move during the psychic phase is much better for their mobility than the deep strike stratagem. Something that deep struck in can be given an additional 12 inches of movement and is now an inch away from its charge victim. Something already an inch away from some buffer chaff unit can maybe leapfrog right over them - no arbitrary buffer to save you now.

• Options
    I mean, it's basically a much superior version of warptime. (usually) farther movement, fly, reroll charge, and less to cast?? Unless the other blood angel spells are equally as good, you'll always see things flying around.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    McGibs wrote: »
    I mean, it's basically a much superior version of warptime. (usually) farther movement, fly, reroll charge, and less to cast?? Unless the other blood angel spells are equally as good, you'll always see things flying around.

It is warptime that is only castable on the psyker. So lots of flying libby dreads but you can't use it on say a sanguinary guard that just deep struck.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Oh, I didn't read the whole thing. I thought it could be on whoever.
    Flying dreads is still scary tho.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    I need to do a Mephiston conversion for my "All Star Deathwatch Psyker Team" Supreme Command Detachment. It was Tigurius, Njal and Ezekiel so far, because Librarius, Tempestas and Interromancy had the useful spells I felt (stacking the -1 to hit powers on a single tough unit like a Stormraven is particularly handy).

But with the jump power alone I feel like Mephiston could really kick ass, all he needed was mobility.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I got my made to order stuff
    The autarch was resin but the bonesinger dire avenger and bug helmet farseer were Metal!
    I was shocked yes they pulled those out of storage but still I was shocked I got metal minis

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Got mine too, the Farseer with the spear was resin, which made me a sad panda.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    frayfray Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    So picked up the new nids codex today finally. I'm still annoyed by the wording for stinger salvos because I still feel like it's not clear whether it's part of the base profile. Also one in four genestealers gets a free power sword? That seems like a pretty nice buff to a unit that was already pretty strong.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    That's weird....

I haven't seen genestealers using the powersword profile since....

3rd edition.

Back when powerswords ignored armor entirely.

• Options
    The power sword profile is a lot different now. But yeah every 4th model gets a free -3 ap melee weapon. Which honestly is the way a lot of special melee weapons should work. Make them cheap and plentiful, Marines should be getting way more than just a single sergeant with a power weapon, give them extra free swords for taking ten guys. Heck, marines can chew through steel and spit acid, give them a default -1 ap attack for being big gross mutants.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Power swords are something that never struck me as being crazy rare in 40k. Not common enough to be sold at every corner store like fidget spinners, but relatively available. Bolter ammo seemed like it was a more precious commodity. So limiting their availability to officer types and specialists when Marines are supposed to get all the cool toys is kind of weird.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
This discussion has been closed.