As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] The FAQ has arrived

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Conscripts and brimstone horrors both need to be reworked. The base value of a wound that can eat up a shot is worth something even if there’s no offensive power behind it.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • frayfray Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    So I rejigged the ad mech list I'm working towards now that the codex is out. I'm thinking:
    HQ:

tech-priest dominus

tech-priest enginseer

Troops:

3 kataphron destroyers with grav-cannons, cognis flamers

3 destroyers with plasma culverins, phosphor blasters

5 skitarii vanguard with plasma caliver

5 vanguard with plasma caliver

Elites:

10 corpuscarii electro-priests

Heavy support:

onager with neutron laser

2 kastelan robots with fists, incendine combustors

2 robots with fists, combustors

1499pts

The plan is to use the Lucius or Stygies tactics so that I can deep strike or infiltrate the priests and get the most out of their 12" range. With the robots I know it's all about the phosphor blasters now but I like the punchy version because they're one of the faster ad mech units, somewhat bizarrely, with an 8" move so hopefully they can get stuck in pretty quickly. I figure I can get away with not having a datasmith because I can use the 1cp stratagem to switch to double-punch mode if necessary, and they can still move so not being able to switch back isn't the end of the world. All of that's theorycrafting at the moment though.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    With two squads of Destroyers you could also try Agripina and recycle them. Could be risky though, as unlike Guard you can only bring back the unit as long as one model is still alive.

• TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    Conscripts and brimstone horrors both need to be reworked. The base value of a wound that can eat up a shot is worth something even if there’s no offensive power behind it.

Agreed except brimstones can still smite. Not exactly great odds, but it's one of the strongest weapons in the game currently on a dirt cheap unit with a solid save.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Can conscripts hold objectives?

Would forbidding them from doing so help address the problem?

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    aIVjFIzl.jpg

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »

Maybe.

The core problems that Conscripts and Brimstones have are that 8th edition made weak saves better (thanks to losing AP from a lot of basic weapons), made weak attacks stronger (due to everything being able to wound everything else on a 6+ at worst) and removed template weapons (so that you can't hit large chunks of a big unit). Razorwing Flocks were an arguably even clearer example of these problems, which is why they fairly quickly got doubled in points cost.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Thanks, Echo. Coughed up my coffee.

What is this I don't even.

Most competitive games don't come down to conscripts holding objectives. There's so much firepower and hard hitting, the game is all about screening yourself from assaults/DS and alpha striking your opponent off the board.

5th edition leafblower style, across the board.

Burnage wrote: »

Maybe.

The core problems that Conscripts and Brimstones have are that 8th edition made weak saves better (thanks to losing AP from a lot of basic weapons), made weak attacks stronger (due to everything being able to wound everything else on a 6+ at worst) and removed template weapons (so that you can't hit large chunks of a big unit). Razorwing Flocks were an arguably even clearer example of these problems, which is why they fairly quickly got doubled in points cost.

I had noticed some of these issues.

In addition to removing their ability to hold objectives, it may help to make Conscripts a 1:1 choice reliant on taking regular units of Guard.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Burnage wrote: »

Maybe.

I had noticed some of these issues.

In addition to removing their ability to hold objectives, it may help to make Conscripts a 1:1 choice reliant on taking regular units of Guard.

The easiest way to fix conscripts it's to add the words "non conscript" to the commissar ability.

Chaos cultists aren't considered a "problem" but they're the same points but superior to conscripts in every way, except you can't make a huge blob effectively immune to morale which is the real kicker.

Norgoth on
  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Abbadon can make cultists immune to morale I believe, but yea he's ten times more expensive than a commissar.

Word Bearer trait gives morale rerolls, and the Dark Apostle has an aura that lets units use his leadership. The WB warlord trait also expabds the aura radius.

Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Abbadon can make cultists immune to morale I believe, but yea he's ten times more expensive than a commissar.

Yeah, you can also make them leadership 10 with a black legion dark Apostle, but again LD10 dosnt help much when your 30 man blob loses 15 guys, and again that's way more expensive.

I do love my cultists though. These cheap little 44 point units holding objectives, firing their 18" rapid fire (death guard woo). Their BS/WS4+! They can be targeted by veterans of the long war! You can give them the combat weapon, make em world eaters and have a surprisingly effective combat unit! For some reason they can ride in rhinos!

(Oh god someone make the army that's just world eater cultists in rhinos, bring some exalted champions and dark apostles as the HQs for rerolls. Just hundreds of the fuckers)

• LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Honestly I think this issue could also be solved by making elite infantry tougher, rather than just making mass infantry more expensive.

You really feel it when taking something like a Terminator or Intercessor where you're paying a lot of points for the privilege of being vulnerable to multiple wound weapons... and having a save that's more vulnerable to armor pen (going from a 2+ to a 3+ impacts your survival much more than going from 5+ to 6+, etc.)... and having fewer total wounds, attacks/shots and covering less ground...

Maybe double the wounds of everything with more than one wound, or give them all a FNP equivalent or something, anything, to make the math work out.

Fabius Bile works on cultists too. Send forth the screaming berserker hordes of ‘roided unwashed masses. It’s like Les Miserables except Jean Val Jean is wearing flayed skins and swinging a mace.

• NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    I mean if Kharne is singing Bolt Thrower songs, I'd buy tickets.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Thanks, Echo. Coughed up my coffee.

That pic took me a second to figure out. :lol:

Badablack wrote: »
    Fabius Bile works on cultists too. Send forth the screaming berserker hordes of ‘roided unwashed masses. It’s like Les Miserables except Jean Val Jean is wearing flayed skins and swinging a mace.
    ++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [35 PL, 698pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Legion: World Eaters

+ HQ +

Dark Apostle [5 PL, 76pts]: Bolt pistol, Mark of Khorne, Power maul

Exalted Champion [5 PL, 94pts]: Combi-melta, Mark of Khorne, Power axe

+ Troops +

Chaos Cultists [3 PL, 40pts]: 9x Chaos Cultist w/ autopistol and brutal assault weapon, Mark of Khorne
    . Cultist Champion: Brutal assault weapon and Autopistol

Chaos Cultists [3 PL, 40pts]: 9x Chaos Cultist w/ autopistol and brutal assault weapon, Mark of Khorne

+ Dedicated Transport +

Chaos Rhino [4 PL, 102pts]: Combi-bolter, Combi-melta, Havoc launcher, Mark of Khorne

Chaos Rhino [4 PL, 102pts]: Combi-bolter, Combi-melta, Havoc launcher, Mark of Khorne

++ Battalion Detachment (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [31 PL, 596pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ HQ +

Dark Apostle [5 PL, 76pts]: Bolt pistol, Mark of Khorne, Power maul

+ Troops +

+ Dedicated Transport +

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [34 PL, 680pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ HQ +

Kharn the Betrayer [8 PL, 160pts]

+ Troops +

+ Dedicated Transport +

++ Total: [100 PL, 1974pts] ++

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Just Craftworlders?
    Not the Aealdari? is the next codex?

Any word when Necromunda is due?

edited October 2017
    Having commissars affect conscripts is kinda one of the reasons they even exist, though. Instead of making it all or nothing for cultists, and as a way of generally making the commissar effect less powerful, change the commissar ability. I've said it before, but changing it to a 2~5+ or whatever to ignore losing a model to morale would be considerably less powerful, while still giving a very useful return. People would still use conscripts+commissars if they reduced morale casualties by 66% rather than reduced to 1. It would also make the commissar stronger for more expensive squads, where morale might cost you 1-2 models.

TraceofToxin on
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Just Craftworlders?
    Not the Aealdari? is the next codex?

Any word when Necromunda is due?

Just Craftworlders is up next, but there's a bit of uncertainty about how Ynnari might tie into that (they might just be special options in each other Eldar Codex). It might be useful to pick up for Aeldari since apparently any strategems that don't specifically target Asuryani units can be used by the whole army as long as you've got one Craftworld detachment.

Necromunda's due November, I think.

Burnage on
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Is there a way to magnetize the weapons for a Wraith?

Nevermind. It looks like the only option worth using is the particle caster

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    Having commissars affect conscripts is kinda one of the reasons they even exist, though. Instead of making it all or nothing for cultists, and as a way of generally making the commissar effect less powerful, change the commissar ability. I've said it before, but changing it to a 2~5+ or whatever to ignore losing a model to morale would be considerably less powerful, while still giving a very useful return. People would still use conscripts+commissars if they reduced morale casualties by 66% rather than reduced to 1. It would also make the commissar stronger for more expensive squads, where morale might cost you 1-2 models.

I could see them explaining it as more men initially flee so the commisar needs to shoot more of them

I could see them explaining it as more men initially flee so the commisar needs to shoot more of them

Shooting 1 guy may not convince people to stop and fight the hierophant. May have to shoot half a dozen before people realize that running is 100% death, staying is only 99.99%

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    New start collecting eldar looks kinda nuts. A seer, wraithguard, lord, and a walker.

Also there's a super heavy marine hover tank?

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    So hopefully I can play on Sunday my weekend is kind of crazy busy. So I am not sure. But if I can I am having my second campaign game verse pure grey knights. My first game was at 1000 points. Poor guy has 5 units and well I planned ahead with a big cultist screen. I figure the basic idea of the last list with more support. This is my current plan.
    ++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [46 PL, 604pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Legion: Alpha Legion

+ HQ +

Dark Apostle [5 PL, 78pts]: Combi-bolter, Mark of Slaanesh, Power maul

Sorcerer [6 PL, 102pts]: Bolt pistol, Force sword, Mark of Slaanesh

+ Troops +

Chaos Cultists [6 PL, 48pts]: 11x Chaos Cultist w/ Autogun, Mark of Slaanesh
    . Cultist Champion: Autogun

+ Heavy Support +

Havocs [7 PL, 132pts]: No Chaos Mark
    . Aspiring Champion: Bolt pistol, Combi-plasma
    . Havoc w/ special weapon: Plasma gun

Havocs [10 PL, 148pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
    . Aspiring Champion: Bolt pistol, Boltgun
    . Havoc w/ boltgun
    . Havoc w/ heavy weapon: Lascannon
    . Havoc w/ heavy weapon: Missile launcher
    . Havoc w/ heavy weapon: Heavy bolter
    . Havoc w/ heavy weapon: Heavy bolter

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [42 PL, 771pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Legion: Emperor's Children

+ HQ +

Chaos Lord [5 PL, 85pts]: Mark of Slaanesh, Plasma pistol, Power sword

+ Elites +

Chaos Terminators [14 PL, 255pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
    . Chaos Terminator Champion: Combi-plasma, Power axe
    . Terminator: Combi-plasma, Power axe
    . Terminator w/ Heavy Weapon: Power axe, Reaper autocannon

Helbrute [7 PL, 142pts]: Mark of Slaanesh, Multi-melta, Power scourge

Helbrute [7 PL, 137pts]: Twin Blastmaster, Mark of Slaanesh, Missile launcher

+ Heavy Support +

Maulerfiend [9 PL, 152pts]: Lasher tendrils, Mark of Slaanesh

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [45 PL, 624pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Legion: Emperor's Children

+ HQ +

Chaos Lord with Jump Pack [6 PL, 105pts]: 2x Lightning Claw, Mark of Slaanesh

Daemon Prince [8 PL, 156pts]: Intoxicating Elixir, Malefic talon, Slaanesh

+ Troops +

Chaos Space Marines [9 PL, 103pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
    . Aspiring Champion: Bolt pistol, Boltgun
    . 4x Marine w/ Boltgun
    . Marine w/ heavy weapon: Lascannon

Noise Marines [11 PL, 130pts]
    . Marine w/ Blastmaster: Blastmaster
    . 4x Marine w/ Sonic blaster: 4x Sonic Blaster
    . Noise Champion: Bolt pistol, Sonic blaster

Noise Marines [11 PL, 130pts]
    . Marine w/ Blastmaster: Blastmaster
    . 4x Marine w/ Sonic blaster: 4x Sonic Blaster
    . Noise Champion: Bolt pistol, Sonic blaster

++ Total: [133 PL, 1999pts] ++

So first this list has 10 cps. Which is kind of nuts but at the same time I like the feel.

The Alpha Legion cultist and their support with havocs and the Apostle are pretty tough verse shooting with the -1. Also cultist are still an AL thing to me.

The Vanguard has a few big things. First the fire support dread with a twin blast master and missile launcher. Good range fire power. The other is more of a support of the DP. Multi-meltas are pretty damn good and the scourge is super powerful.

I have a lot of shooting support in this. Noise marines I love. Plasma termis for a dropping death with lord support.

I feel with the cps and the tricks I have in this army I can handle whatever he throws at me and also have a decent chance at taking down his flyer which I know he has.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Trying to put together a necron overlord. I'm about to throw it away. This model will not stay together at all

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    What are you gluing with?

website_header.jpg
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Trying to put together a necron overlord. I'm about to throw it away. This model will not stay together at all

Sometimes you need something more than standard plastic or super glue.

You need a two part epoxy.

Which I am was told a good brand on Monday and completely forgot it.

u7stthr17eud.png
    edited October 2017
    McGibs wrote: »

Some plastic glue I got at the LGS.

Normally I use locktite super glue but I needed something and they had the plastic glue and no locktite

Stragint on

• Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular

Normally I use locktite super glue but I needed something and they had the plastic glue and no locktite

The overlord is a finecast model - not plastic - so you need superglue. Plastic glue only works on plastic as it's not really glue, it melts the plastic together. Doesn't work on resin/finecast.

Sharp101 wrote: »

The overlord is a finecast model - not plastic - so you need superglue. Plastic glue only works on plastic as it's not really glue, it melts the plastic together. Doesn't work on resin/finecast.

The kit doesn't say finecast though, it says plastic.

The only plastic glue worth using is model master. Nice big container with a metal needle tip so it doesn’t get clogged constantly or dry out.

Necrons are kind of a bad choice for plastic glue though, too fiddly and with tiny contact points. File down the joints a bit for a slightly wider and rougher contact point, and maybe try superglue.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Naw, necrons are fine to plastic glue on as is. The ball joints, wrist attachments, spine sockets, and all that other stuff are plenty big for bonding. Even small round sockets work pretty good for that.

@Stragint - which overlord do you have? The one brandishing the orb is plastic. The one swinging a warscythe is resin. It could just be a crap bottle of plastic glue. Just grab a couple pieces of sprue and see if it bonds them.

It is the one with the orb.

It might be shitty glue. I got it in a hobby box that comes with an exacto knife and clippers. It glued my wraiths together with pretty much no trouble.

I just had trouble getting the overlord's leg and butt cape to stay on. Then the arms were equally a bitch. It was not a pleasant experience and I considered tossing it and just using the 3 old pewter lords I have ad overlords.

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    is it gw plastic glue?
    that stuff blows

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    New start collecting eldar looks kinda nuts. A seer, wraithguard, lord, and a walker.

That sounds like a bad joke

I feel bad I had to buy my glue online so I got this
    52e4i7abc3g2.png

Far better than I thought it would be

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I used one of those for about a decade I think.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I got ahold of the Chaos sprues from Execution Force tonight. It's fifteen cultists, three shitball pushfit Chaos Space Marines, and a Terminator Lord that is actually a named character but you can build him as a standard duder instead if you want.

I guess I've got enough models to paint up a CSM killteam for Shadow War now.

This discussion has been closed.