As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] The FAQ has arrived

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    I like the look of the Primaris Marines, but I also like the look (if not necessarily the lore) of the Dark Angels, and it seems that a lot of what makes them unique are their faction specific units. I don’t really want to mix the two though. I might go for one of the successor chapters and make it full Primaris regardless of its competitive potential. The local GW store is having an event for their store anniversary with prizes awarded to painting and playing a new unit + HQ, and I was thinking of the Primaris reivers. What would be an HQ choice to pair with them?

DA and Primaris mix pretty well. Intercessors, Inceptors, Aggressors, Reivers, and especially Hellblasters all work fantastically within the ruleset/ chapter trait and in addition you get: unique spooky Chaplains, 2 unique flyers, 2 unique skimmers, 2 Terminator choices including 1 unique, unique bikers, a good psyker Lore. and a few knockout relics like the Eye that gives enemy units -1morale/ 1 target unit fights last.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »

Lower average of mortal wounds and no spawn shenanigans for better reliability, same range and warp charge value.
    Okay, that makes me feel far better in terms of using it. Thanks.

As to discussion of balance, Thousand Sons technically have a range of 12" due to their trait (assuming battleforged detachment), which makes it pretty good imo.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Reivers have a hard time finding a place in the crowded DA Fast Attack slot

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »

Lower average of mortal wounds and no spawn shenanigans for better reliability, same range and warp charge value.

As to discussion of balance, Thousand Sons technically have a range of 12" due to their trait (assuming battleforged detachment), which makes it pretty good imo.

Thousand sons legion trait is probably one of the best on the game and people haven’t quite clicked to that yet. A lot of powers have drastically different uses. Warptime at 9”, that’s spawn power, being able to use targeted mortal wound powers from safe range.

• Options

For real. They're baller with Interrogator Chaplain support or Asmodai. That's -3 morale in combat.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Bizazedo wrote: »

Thousand sons legion trait is probably one of the best on the game and people haven’t quite clicked to that yet. A lot of powers have drastically different uses. Warptime at 9”, that’s spawn power, being able to use targeted mortal wound powers from safe range.

This is very much why I am starting 1k sons. And it maybe the army I am playing at trios at NOVA. We are still working out teams in the club on who is playing what and themes.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    It showed for us on Saturday.

24 inch Doombolt shot on a huge mob of Ork Boys. Congrats, your lead Ork is 23.5 inches away from us and now your entire unit can only move 2.5 inches. And they can't advance. Waaugh, indeed. Eat bolter and mortar fire.

No, you can't deny any of our stuff, Eldar scum. None of it. We're 19-24 inches away.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well I am now even more interested in building a small Adeptus Mechanicus with that game just it and a start collecting build a good force from what I saw
    But I would get it as well to fill in gaps in my necron force

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I wonder how many admech/necron mashup armies will come out of this box. They can kitbash together pretty well.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »

For real. They're baller with Interrogator Chaplain support or Asmodai. That's -3 morale in combat.

Primaris are actually the main way to run DA competitively speaking if your into that.

Two units of 10 hellblasters
    Azmodai
    Ancient
    Darkshroud
    3x units of scouts

This gives you two units with incredible firepower, with -1 to hit, reroll all misses, 4+ invuln, and when they die they on a 4+ they shoot. A single unit can put out 60 damage with dark age.

The scouts will screen from deepstrikes. Then just flavour to taste. Primaris make a good wall in front of your hellblasters, the lieutenant in a landspeeder is good, the named chaplain is pretty funny with intercessors.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    They used to! You could order all sorts of individual stuff back in the metal era. I guess keeping a dedicated bits department got too costly, what with having more individual miniatures than the population of some countries.

Partly I'd bet it was another dumb move made under Kirby-era leadership, and partly a legitimate problem with casting metal models, in that there would be popular bits from a mold, but then you're stuck with the other bits that rarely move.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Baby Knights being 150pt Lords of War (and having two LOWs coming in a single campaign box) sounds kinda goofy at first, but I'm stoked because it means basically any Imperial player will be able to go out and pick one or two up and throw them into their army without breaking anything.

• Options
    Badablack wrote: »
    They used to! You could order all sorts of individual stuff back in the metal era. I guess keeping a dedicated bits department got too costly, what with having more individual miniatures than the population of some countries.

Partly I'd bet it was another dumb move made under Kirby-era leadership, and partly a legitimate problem with casting metal models, in that there would be popular bits from a mold, but then you're stuck with the other bits that rarely move.

Long ago I had the idea to get a certain inquistor's hammer
    I asked if it was separate from the model and the operator told me yes but it's not available by itself
    And then went on how there would be a mountain of unsold minis if we sold the parts people wanted

This was when I was trying to fix my miscast dreadlords as 2 of them had poorly cast swords I asked if I could sent in the sword to get exchanged and she said sighting the earlier statement again they would have a ton of items no one wants {she sent out the figure anyways]
    I know I called late and I hit obviously a sore point with her but she did have a point

• Options
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/03/05/tau-sept-hammerhead-gunships-breacher-teamsgw-homepage-post-3/

I figure folks have read it but still. I am still not super duper impressed by Tau.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    I don't suppose there's any legal way to run a "dark mechanicum" detachment alongside my deathguard?

Like I'm sure it probably not a problem playing with "the guys" but outside of that there could be issues, yeah?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Khraul wrote: »
    I don't suppose there's any legal way to run a "dark mechanicum" detachment alongside my deathguard?

Like I'm sure it probably not a problem playing with "the guys" but outside of that there could be issues, yeah?

Depends on what you mean. Hopefully the new knights also have the traitor versions and you could use those as they would have the chaos keyword.

Outside of that, play it with bros and most don't care if it is a fun game. Avoiding those guys is easy for me as I have a really steady club that is cool with that stuff for fluff and such.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Depends on what you mean. Hopefully the new knights also have the traitor versions and you could use those as they would have the chaos keyword.

Outside of that, play it with bros and most don't care if it is a fun game. Avoiding those guys is easy for me as I have a really steady club that is cool with that stuff for fluff and such.

Yeah, you got the jist... I'm wanting to put together some renegade knights, but it'd be cool to be able to pick up that necron/mech box, paint the mech units in dark tones and pretend they're chaos units.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options

Yeah, you got the jist... I'm wanting to put together some renegade knights, but it'd be cool to be able to pick up that necron/mech box, paint the mech units in dark tones and pretend they're chaos units.

What are the bases? If they are small enough they can be cultist.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

What are the bases? If they are small enough they can be cultist.

...Well I hadn't thought of that...

The pic of the box looks like skitarii rangers. Those and cultists are both on 25mm bases, so that would work well.

I'd heard a rumor there might be a Knights codex at some point that would include renegades.

Regardless of what I can do with it, I think I need this box set when it comes out.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm eyeing that box set too. Knight + two baby knights + support should also be a low model count army. Really going back and forth over if that or a Custodes list sounds more fun to me.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    The rule about all detachments being from the same faction is in the Matched Play, Advanced Rules section of the book, not in the Core Rules. So really except for a tournament or something it's not even bending any rules or whatever, you have no problem.

That said, I think most players had their fill of crazy mixed armies in 7th Edition "These are my Tyranids and Tau" "Huh, cool, what's the story there?" "I needed some long range shooting" and you may get some frowns for being suspected of being that guy.

If you just like the look of the models rather than the rules then a little conversion and running them as cultists is definitely a great idea. I used infantry from all over the Imperium and even Warhammer Fantasy armies to make Inquisitorial Acolytes and Crusaders.

• Options
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/03/05/tau-sept-hammerhead-gunships-breacher-teamsgw-homepage-post-3/

I figure folks have read it but still. I am still not super duper impressed by Tau.

It's the first day but yeah I need more
    Like I said yesterday they have not disappointed with the current batch of codex. I really need more info before I pass judgement on it

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Looks like the leaks I was reading were real and correct. Longstrike +1 to Markerlight table may as well be worthless. I can't recall the last time I got 3+ markerlights on a target because I can't hit the thing reliably in the first place.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    No-Quarter wrote: »

Primaris are actually the main way to run DA competitively speaking if your into that.

Two units of 10 hellblasters
    Azmodai
    Ancient
    Darkshroud
    3x units of scouts

This gives you two units with incredible firepower, with -1 to hit, reroll all misses, 4+ invuln, and when they die they on a 4+ they shoot. A single unit can put out 60 damage with dark age.

The scouts will screen from deepstrikes. Then just flavour to taste. Primaris make a good wall in front of your hellblasters, the lieutenant in a landspeeder is good, the named chaplain is pretty funny with intercessors.

I should show you my buddy's Blood Angel/ Ad Mech list he just took to a local tournie and took third.

• Options
    The rule about all detachments being from the same faction is in the Matched Play, Advanced Rules section of the book, not in the Core Rules. So really except for a tournament or something it's not even bending any rules or whatever, you have no problem.

That said, I think most players had their fill of crazy mixed armies in 7th Edition "These are my Tyranids and Tau" "Huh, cool, what's the story there?" "I needed some long range shooting" and you may get some frowns for being suspected of being that guy.

If you just like the look of the models rather than the rules then a little conversion and running them as cultists is definitely a great idea. I used infantry from all over the Imperium and even Warhammer Fantasy armies to make Inquisitorial Acolytes and Crusaders.

Ok, well that's pretty cool then.

And I def don't want to be that guy but I don't think Dark Mechanicum units are a huge stretch.... not gonna have a killa kan detachment screened by my poxwalkers or anything.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    When I played it last there was someone using Dark Eldar with Genestealers
    He was laughed off since he did have a large playable tyranid force he was one of the vocal people against the store's 500 point battle days saying it was unplayble and unfun

• Options
    Tinkering around with lists I think I've come up with one that seems a decent mix of fluff, the models I like, and actually being okay on the tabletop. I can't really make a finalized list because we don't know the actual point cost of the baby knights, but this is the basic idea.

Mechanicus Super Heavy Detachment:
    1 Crusader Dakka Knight (Battlecannon, Storm Spear, Avenger Gatling)
    2 Baby Knights (anti-armor loadout)

Mechanicus Battalion Detachment
    Dominus (Buffs)
    Enginseer (Knight Repair Monkey)
    5 rangers
    5 rangers (flank holders, arquebus if the list has points for it)
    5 vanguard
    5 vanguard (bubble wrap for the knight, plasma cavalier if the list has points for it)
    Onager Dunecrawler
    Onager Dunecrawler (Neutrons, long distance fire support)

Militarum Tempestus Battalion Detachment
    Tempestor Prime (command rod)
    Tempestor Prime (melee gear if points are free, together they generate the three orders for...)
    5 Tempestus
    5 Tempestus
    5 Tempestus (all with 2 plasma and 1 plasma pistol)
    (Whole battatlion hot drops in for spot removal and alpha)

Conveniently this builds out of the upcoming Mechanicus vs Necron Box, the mechanicus start collecting box, +1 knight +1 dunecrawler and them the Tempestus stuff.

Am I on a decent track here?

I feel like I should have lots of command points to play with. Some alpha hot drop. Some durability. Either take the get command points back on a 5+ IG trait or the better repair AdMech trait. An okay number of bodies on the table 44, without having to build and paint a million things.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I really hope the baby knights get fully customizable loadouts and combat roles. I want missile boat babies and double chainsword babies and everything in between. The starter box will probably just have that loadout from the promo material, but a 1-3 model box down the road full of extr weapons to coincide with a Knight codex would be nice.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    I would like to know more about them if it's just the Multi melta and chain sword ok
    Still I am going to get it to flush out my Necron force since I have none of what comes in the box
    And well it's headed me down the road of building a small Admech force

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The pictures of the sprues and also the built models only show Melta cannons and Chainswords. The only option seems to be the carapace weapon. There seem to be two different ones on the Knights in the box set.

A bit counter intuitive that at the moment it seems to make sense to have the squires go tank hunting while the Knight deals with the rabbble.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    honovere wrote: »
    The pictures of the sprues and also the built models only show Melta cannons and Chainswords. The only option seems to be the carapace weapon. There seem to be two different ones on the Knights in the box set.

A bit counter intuitive that at the moment it seems to make sense to have the squires go tank hunting while the Knight deals with the rabbble.

I think it makes sense narratively. The squires have to hunt the things that threaten their master, heavy anti vehicle weapons often being mounted on vehicles. This leaves the knight free to terrorize the battlefield, persecuting his battle as he sees fit and laying waste to all foes of the emperor with impunity.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Or that the mini-knights should take care of the riff-raff so the big guy can focus on foes worthy of his skills. Six one way, half a dozen the other.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    frayfray Registered User regular
    Has there been any information (ie leaks I guess) on points cost for the baby knight? Or is the assumption that it'll be about 150 just based on the cost of the other stuff in the box?

"I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Options
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Or that the mini-knights should take care of the riff-raff so the big guy can focus on foes worthy of his skills. Six one way, half a dozen the other.

I like the idea of the knights being super vain and chasing large kill counts, or only going after super heavies. And leaving the actual serious threats to themselves to their squires.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    fray wrote: »
    Has there been any information (ie leaks I guess) on points cost for the baby knight? Or is the assumption that it'll be about 150 just based on the cost of the other stuff in the box?

Pretty sure it's based on the other stuff in the box.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

Yea, I don't know AdMech well enough to confirm this at a glance but assuming the Necron and AdMech forces are balanced and using known costs, they're expected to be 150... which IMO raises an uncomfortable question about Dreadnoughts.

A Ven Dread with Multi-Melta and CCW is 157 points (ignoring the SB or Heavy Flamer), and, well, Dreadnoughts of any kind are not considered a competitive unit, let alone Melta ones.

The Knight Armiger is almost certainly going to be miles better than the Dread, and honestly being a LoW instead of an Elite choice is simply better for CP purposes.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    On the other hand Knights are really hampered when it comes to stratagems and army traits. At least in Ad Mech armies.

• Options
    There's the chance that the Necron riding the scarab thing is some obscenely high cost new Necron HQ to balance two babby-knights....?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    No I think GW flat out said he's a Cryptek modeled with a piece of wargear he always had available, just usually unmodeled.

• Options
    frayfray Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Yea, I don't know AdMech well enough to confirm this at a glance but assuming the Necron and AdMech forces are balanced and using known costs, they're expected to be 150... which IMO raises an uncomfortable question about Dreadnoughts.

A Ven Dread with Multi-Melta and CCW is 157 points (ignoring the SB or Heavy Flamer), and, well, Dreadnoughts of any kind are not considered a competitive unit, let alone Melta ones.

The Knight Armiger is almost certainly going to be miles better than the Dread, and honestly being a LoW instead of an Elite choice is simply better for CP purposes.

Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking, especially since the thermal whatsit sounds like it'll be a lesser version of a thermal cannon but probably still better than a multi-melta.

"I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
This discussion has been closed.