As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] The FAQ has arrived

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    The great thing about 40k is that it's a big big universe.

All sorts of crazy shit has and can and will happen.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Aigh't then I'll have the acolytes go down to Emperor-mart and pick up a shotgun along with some Corvus-Cola and the latest Battlemaul 100,000: Dusk of Peace for the AdMech-Spectrum 5200.

I am joking, but I get your point and maybe I don't have to look for some sort of orthodoxy. I do base my stuff off of Dan Abnett's books, the Cain novels, the RPG core rulebooks, and some William King but I shouldn't be so strict.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Yeah, people always seem to forget/never realise that the vast majority of planets beholden to the Imperium are not “imperial planets” in the sense that they are directly ruled by Adepts according to the strict Lex Imperialis; they are instead feudal fiefs ruled by a governor who has to meet treaty obligations regarding taxes and recruitment… and that’s it. How it is done is irrelevant and, though they are required to submit to evaluation for tax purposes periodically, there’s no absolute requirement to have any Imperial organs planet-side at all. Technically I think a few governors can even legally kick the Ecclesiarchy and Inquisition off the planet because they wouldn’t be mentioned in any Writ issued during the Great Crusade, so you might even find a world where they hold no sway, but it’d probably be unique….

Anyway the point is that there is no unifying culture, moral code, or even law across the Imperium except at the very core “worship the Emperor, pay your taxes, do your duty” level so anything can have a place if you want it enough. Even a democratically elected Governor selected from within a citizen-parliament….

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Aigh't then I'll have the acolytes go down to Emperor-mart and pick up a shotgun along with some Corvus-Cola and the latest Battlemaul 100,000: Dusk of Peace for the AdMech-Spectrum 5200.

I am joking, but I get your point and maybe I don't have to look for some sort of orthodoxy. I do base my stuff off of Dan Abnett's books, the Cain novels, the RPG core rulebooks, and some William King but I shouldn't be so strict.
    Since their acolytes, couldn't they just use their authority at the closest arbites precinct to recquisition some basic weaponry? There are perks to having the inquisition on their side. And if they're keeping a low profile and not flaunting their presence, well, do any of the PCs know the lingua fraca for black markets and shady dealings? All those turf warring underhive gangs have to get their boomsticks from somewhere.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Yeah they could do that. Especially the actual arbitrators. Influence in 2E is weird though man.

Although usually my acolytes operate in a way that they don't give away they are working for an inquisitor just so they don't ambushed and targeted while on the job. I also don't have their inquisitor give them any identifying marks unless they proved themselves, then they can get the equivalent of deputy rosettes so they can use his authority with his permission. He's very much a web of intrigue with many cells and contacts working all over the sector kind of guy but with a somewhat laissez-faire attitude toward directing his resources if they get the job done. It helps in DH2E's lore there are supposed to be very few inquisitors in Askellon, vs Calixis which was crawling with them, due to inquisitorial fuckups in the past and a general consensus the sector is doomed.

I'm also not sure anyone who isn't an outright renegade state from the Imperium would ever try to say to an Inquisitor to get off their lawn and try to act on it. They are seen as the "will" of the Emperor.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Rule 1 of dark heresy: Never say you're from the inquisition.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Yeah they could do that. Especially the actual arbitrators. Influence in 2E is weird though man.

Although usually my acolytes operate in a way that they don't give away they are working for an inquisitor just so they don't ambushed and targeted while on the job. I also don't have their inquisitor give them any identifying marks unless they proved themselves, then they can get the equivalent of deputy rosettes so they can use his authority with his permission. He's very much a web of intrigue with many cells and contacts working all over the sector kind of guy but with a somewhat laissez-faire attitude toward directing his resources if they get the job done. It helps in DH2E's lore there are supposed to be very few inquisitors in Askellon, vs Calixis which was crawling with them, due to inquisitorial fuckups in the past and a general consensus the sector is doomed.

I'm also not sure anyone who isn't an outright renegade state from the Imperium would ever try to say to an Inquisitor to get off their lawn and try to act on it. They are seen as the "will" of the Emperor.

They probably wouldn't kick the Inquisition off the planet, but I could see them booting a specific Inquisitor if they made enough of a mess and had nothing to show for it. A situation where a rival Inquisitor set up some Chaos-ish looking (but not actually Chaos) situations in order to bait a rival into trashing a place and looking like a fool would make for a good adventure.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    I never got to use it before my group campaign fizzled out but I had a Dark Heresy adventure written where the acolytes were investagting rumours of an unknown creature stealing denim overalls from a factory that the workers referred to as the " Jean Stealer".

This twist was that they were being stolen by some workers to clothe members of their underground genestealer cult.

I wrote an entire adventure about genestealers stealing jeans.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Yeah, people always seem to forget/never realise that the vast majority of planets beholden to the Imperium are not “imperial planets” in the sense that they are directly ruled by Adepts according to the strict Lex Imperialis; they are instead feudal fiefs ruled by a governor who has to meet treaty obligations regarding taxes and recruitment… and that’s it. How it is done is irrelevant and, though they are required to submit to evaluation for tax purposes periodically, there’s no absolute requirement to have any Imperial organs planet-side at all. Technically I think a few governors can even legally kick the Ecclesiarchy and Inquisition off the planet because they wouldn’t be mentioned in any Writ issued during the Great Crusade, so you might even find a world where they hold no sway, but it’d probably be unique….

Anyway the point is that there is no unifying culture, moral code, or even law across the Imperium except at the very core “worship the Emperor, pay your taxes, do your duty” level so anything can have a place if you want it enough. Even a democratically elected Governor selected from within a citizen-parliament….

I would love to meet a planet that said no to an inquisitor.

I feel that planet may be a smoldering ball of ash by now.

The Inquisition does not take no for an answer.

Edit: Unless that no is from like the Space Wolves or someone that can turn said inquisitor to ash first.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Edit: Unless that no is from like the Space Wolves or someone that can turn said inquisitor to ash first.

There is an entire division of the Inquisition based around checking on people who call down an exterminatus to see if it was actually justified.

• Options
    Karl wrote: »

There is an entire division of the Inquisition based around checking on people who call down an exterminatus to see if it was actually justified.

Well maybe not exterminatus always, but you can always just nuke the palace from orbit if they are being difficult.

Or turn their heads into servo-skulls or just servitors.

Or you know just execute them in the name of Da' Emperor!

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Tangential, but I guess now I feel free to put in that pseudo-Aku sorceror I've been thinking of. He was an onmyodo but now he's an onimyodo. Basically I decided that the "samurai" chapter GW gave but had no background on, the Emperor's Shadows, had their planet daemonized by a traitor librarian who fell in with the 1000 Sons and in the process became fused with armor that had been ensorceled. It also allows him to change shape and length to a degree, but his helmet is now like a permanent oni mask.

• Options
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/10/31/codex-tyranids-preview-hive-fleet-adaptations-oct-31gw-homepage-post-2/

Hive fleet adaptations are up. They just dumped them all at once. Some are interesting like Leviathan and Kraken. That 3 dice pick the highest to advance+fall back and charge is a neat combo. And the one where you are always in cover unless you advance or charge is really neat too.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/10/31/codex-tyranids-preview-hive-fleet-adaptations-oct-31gw-homepage-post-2/

Hive fleet adaptations are up. They just dumped them all at once. Some are interesting like Leviathan and Kraken. That 3 dice pick the highest to advance+fall back and charge is a neat combo. And the one where you are always in cover unless you advance or charge is really neat too.

I want to get the whole codex in my hands but I'm really torn between behemoth and jormangundr for my all carnifex army I'm saving for....

• Options
    Crap... I'm just going to expand every Shadow War killteam I started into fully fledged armies, aren't I?
    Jorm seems like a pretty killer trait, barring the Ironwarriors/Impfist hardcounters. I might gravitate towards that for my blind-cave-horrors-from-beyond-the-stars
    starspawn02.jpg
    starspawn01.jpg
    starspawn03.jpg
    starspawn04.jpg

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Venom/zoanthrope, warrior, ravener, carnifex and blight drone kit to make all that? Carnifex postules are sculpted?

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Sans carnifex, the gunbeasts are warriors+venomthrope + sculpted hives.
    That zoan/venomtrope kit is an amazing source of gribbles. There's so many tentacles.

I want my nids to not have gun-hands and dinosaur faces.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, on closer inspection those are clearly warrior bodies. I have no idea why I thought that was carnifex sized.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Nurgle drones mix really well with Tyranids. Are there any other daemon bugs worth looking at for a gnarly Tyranid army? Only other thing I can think off is the snail, but dunno what you could run that as.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Still I want this hive tyrant
    txjmv99gieta.png
    Really just the body and head since I can get the arms

Not this one
    m5dft173pq8z.png

I have this one
    y5fm7ytfre9a.png

I feel I still I will have to settle for the middle one but it leads me back to my problem I have no idea what colour scheme I would do.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Badablack wrote: »
    Nurgle drones mix really well with Tyranids. Are there any other daemon bugs worth looking at for a gnarly Tyranid army? Only other thing I can think off is the snail, but dunno what you could run that as.

The only other objectively insect things I can think of is maybe some of the Sylvanath bug models? Like that giant stag beetle, or the tree-dreadnought with bee guns?

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    The Sylvanath stag beetle would make an awesome counts-as Tyrannofex a la the Starship Troopers artillery bugs.

And that one hive tyrant was part of GW’s “let’s just rip off Aliens wholesale” tyranid line, which is probably why they don’t make it anymore.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Nows a really good time to get into tyranids because you can double dip on two different start collecting whilst the stocks last.

This may or may not be what I'm doing.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Still I want this hive tyrant
    txjmv99gieta.png
    Really just the body and head since I can get the arms

Not this one
    m5dft173pq8z.png

I have this one
    y5fm7ytfre9a.png

I feel I still I will have to settle for the middle one but it leads me back to my problem I have no idea what colour scheme I would do.

The original tyrant is a fantastic design.

• Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    I'm pretty partial to the Forge World Hive Tyrants myself.
    D4vZ642.jpg

pOH685Z.jpg

The Ye Olde Hive Tyrant got converted into a Warrior Prime, back when they were like 100 points of amazing value.
    SiBmLNS.jpg

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    My meta is going to have a narrative campaign involving Inquisitors, so that should be interesting. I picked up the standard model with a power sword and bolt pistol a while back because I thought it was a cool looking model, but never got around to doing more than assembling and priming it.

It's going to be starting off with small 5-10 member warbands and escalating over time, so I think I'm going to make it a point to check out the weirder 40K models that I don't really have a lot of experience with, like Inquisition and Ministorum stuff.

• Options
    I forgot about the forgeworld ones
    As I remember when I won the tyranid assault brood from that store's tourney I wanted to make a gaunt heavy force since they had not come out with the Tervigon model yet
    But I had quit playing when it did so I am meh since I thought it would be dropping them off to the sides or some other way rather than casually walking out the front
    But the thing that stopped me was what has always stopped me
    What hive fleet/paint scheme to give them I have no idea
    It was the robot showing me how to paint them solved one problem
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlkeURdZ8D8

• Options
    The Warlord preview is up
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/11/01/codex-tyranids-preview-day-3-commanding-your-swarm-nov-1gw-homepage-post-2/
    And well color be curious about it as I might play Tyranids as a side army now

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Do we know who is up after bugs?

Also I played Shadespire. It's a lot of fun and plays super quick. Like >20 mins once you understand everything. They also already got a FAQ up and running.

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    After bugs is hopefully orkz? It'll probably be a weird space Marine chapter, though.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    I'm hoping it's Tau so my buddy can get his stuff in order. The Tau in the index have a lot of issues from points to marker lights.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I was having a conversation with someone last night and we realized that RAW the Lucius Pattern Dreadnought Drop Pod can transport Redemptor Dreadnoughts. The datasheet has the standard "This model can transport a single <CHAPTER> VEHICLE model with the DREADNOUGHT keyword", and Redemptors have <CHAPTER>, VEHICLE, and DREADNOUGHT keywords.

We decided that due to the size difference between standard Dreadnoughts and Redemptor Dreadnoughts the only way it would feasibly work from a physical standpoint is if the Redemptor rode the Drop Pod down from orbit like Kong riding the A-bomb down at the end of Dr. Strangelove.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    After Nids it’s Necromunda, then the Month of No Releases aka December, after that though… I can see Tau, Orks, or Space Wolves as coming up. Will be interesting to see how they approach non-codex chapters.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    I was having a conversation with someone last night and we realized that RAW the Lucius Pattern Dreadnought Drop Pod can transport Redemptor Dreadnoughts. The datasheet has the standard "This model can transport a single <CHAPTER> VEHICLE model with the DREADNOUGHT keyword", and Redemptors have <CHAPTER>, VEHICLE, and DREADNOUGHT keywords.

We decided that due to the size difference between standard Dreadnoughts and Redemptor Dreadnoughts the only way it would feasibly work from a physical standpoint is if the Redemptor rode the Drop Pod down from orbit like Kong riding the A-bomb down at the end of Dr. Strangelove.

Havn't they been able to carry contemptor, dorito, and leviathan dreads for a while (like, back in 7th)? Leviathans are at least as big.
    The doors just don't close, like an overstuffed suitcase. The dread is armoured for atmospheric entry, it's fine.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    TECHMARINE, VENERABLE DREADNOUGHT TANKRED WILL NOT FIT IN THE DROP POD

BROTHER, JUST USE SOME OF THOSE ELASTIC BUNGEES WE HAVE IN THE BACK OF THE RHINO

GREAT IDEA, WE ARE BLESSED TO HAVE YOUR ADVANCED TRAINING AVAILABLE TO US IN SUCH VEXING SITUATIONS

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Are there going to be any new Tyranid models, or am I ok grabbing stuff now?

For reference, I'm currently running with the old metal Geiger Hormas and the Lady of Pain style walking Zoanthropes, lol

• Options
    I don't have any Zoanthropes but then I am usually the one person rolling with psychers still I am going to get the codex and see what I need {I know I don't have a hive tyrant outside of the old one}
    It's this plus 3 boxes of gaunts I have
    0uj3lhlcpchm.png bad camera pic ahoy

• Options
    DrHookensteinDrHookenstein Registered User regular
    I thought Necrons were planned for December?

"He piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the general rage and hate felt by his whole race from Adam down; and then, as if his chest had been a mortar, he burst his hot heart's shell upon it." -Moby Dick
  • Options
    I thought Necrons were planned for December?

If so there has been no real announcement.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Necrons ought to have been Halloween. They're the most halloweeny of the factions.
    kopia__SAM5901.JPG.jpg
    img5436aaa69aff5.jpg

Gvzbgul on
This discussion has been closed.