As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] The FAQ has arrived

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Today, I bought two boxes of hormagaunts, a box of Tyranid warriors, the nid datacards, and some paints.

The spending is real.

• Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Everyone's over here buying nids and I'm just like, "Wish my piles of gribblies would stop fucking breaking". No way in hell am I putting 150 models in foam every game. Even with magnetized bases, my stealers find ways to break at the foot. GW really needs to go back over every old kit and redo them, modern plastics are so much better.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    I could see new Genestealers coming out with Cults gets redone.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    There are a ton of units which are still resin or even metal. It's not going to happen but I'd prefer them to be priorities over renovating kits that are already plastic.

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Comparing the old stealers to the new ones from the deathwatch game (or even the ones from space hulk) is like night and day. The... "back ribs(?)" looks so much better on the new ones. If they've got those models, I can see them making a new kit sometime soonish.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Burnage wrote: »
    There are a ton of units which are still resin or even metal. It's not going to happen but I'd prefer them to be priorities over renovating kits that are already plastic.

Notice I said old kits.

ALL of the old kits needs modern plastics. Metal, finecast, 3rd edition plastics, etc.

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular

Man, eff that. Things like the CSM kits shouldn't be lower priority than random single model named characters. Plastic over resin/metal doesnt really matter, priority should be the ubiquity of the kit (which also makes business sense.)

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Everyone's over here buying nids and I'm just like, "Wish my piles of gribblies would stop fucking breaking". No way in hell am I putting 150 models in foam every game. Even with magnetized bases, my stealers find ways to break at the foot. GW really needs to go back over every old kit and redo them, modern plastics are so much better.

That's why I transport my gaunts and stealers in small tupperware containers one squad at to a container.

• Options

That's why I transport my gaunts and stealers in small tupperware containers one squad at to a container.

Fuck that. They go in the toolbox of judgement. Those that survive transit have been judged worthy, those that don't... well...
    ljga9ojeyp23.jpg

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I am listening to the Long War guys right now, I guess Squats are actually mentioned in the Necromanda book.

May the Squats return to terrible glory.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    There are going to be piles of unwanted Goliath stuff in my store after Necromunda comes out. I am not looking forward to that.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Escher is so good looking.

Also going to be great cultist.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I’ve got 3 plastic stacking boxes for doing beadwork or knitting or whatever that I use to transport big hordes of things. There’s a layer of foam at the bottom of each so as long as I’m not just hurling dead models in there they should be fine.

That said, I’m putting together some genestealers and GW has definitely learned some things about designing plastic kits since these guys came out. I can see why their legs might break off, half of them are in a weird jumping pose with a couple millimeters of plastic holding them to the base.

Also, what’s up with tyranid kits and odd numbers of troops in box versus in game? Genestealers come 8 to a box, or 6 with their old kits, but they’re 5-20. Horm/termagants are 12 to a box. Rippers are apparently just bonus models you get a few of in other units’ kits! I had to buy some extra genestealers on eBay for a full unit just to appease my OCD brain.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Back when the kits were released a decade or so ago, the unit sizes were all multiples of the box size.
    As for Rippers, the same thing happens with Necron Scarabs. Unless you buy Forge World of course.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    I’ve got 3 plastic stacking boxes for doing beadwork or knitting or whatever that I use to transport big hordes of things. There’s a layer of foam at the bottom of each so as long as I’m not just hurling dead models in there they should be fine.

That said, I’m putting together some genestealers and GW has definitely learned some things about designing plastic kits since these guys came out. I can see why their legs might break off, half of them are in a weird jumping pose with a couple millimeters of plastic holding them to the base.

Also, what’s up with tyranid kits and odd numbers of troops in box versus in game? Genestealers come 8 to a box, or 6 with their old kits, but they’re 5-20. Horm/termagants are 12 to a box. Rippers are apparently just bonus models you get a few of in other units’ kits! I had to buy some extra genestealers on eBay for a full unit just to appease my OCD brain.

It gets worse for me, I’ve got all the space hulk genestealers, but they don’t have scything talons, where as now there’s no reason not to take them because they cost zero and give you another option, so now I’m going to have to convert them all because otherwise it will bug me.

• Options
    McGibs wrote: »

Man, eff that. Things like the CSM kits shouldn't be lower priority than random single model named characters. Plastic over resin/metal doesnt really matter, priority should be the ubiquity of the kit (which also makes business sense.)

That's fair. Mostly I'm just being a bit bitter about how many models in the Eldar ranges are still Finecast, when it's definitely not a material that lends itself to thin and spindly troops.

• Options
    McGibs wrote: »

That's fair. Mostly I'm just being a bit bitter about how many models in the Eldar ranges are still Finecast, when it's definitely not a material that lends itself to thin and spindly troops.

A lot of the Eldar stuff in Finecast tend to have multiples as well and need to be turned plastic.

Since I am considering starting Eldar the idea of cleaning a bunch mold lines from terrible finecast from tiny ass eldar is just daunting.

*builds an entire army of wraithguard/guardians/tanks*

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    And the one Aspect Eldar have in plastic and even is troops is unreasonably expensive compared to other troop kits from other armies since they turned it into a 5-man kit.

• Options
    I think screwing with eldar was one of Kirby’s last evil death spasms before he got replaced with Rountree as CEO. So 5 man troop boxes and finecast hitting their entire range. The old codex wasn’t even really what you could call great, it had a bunch of middling choices in units and then several incredibly undercosted ones.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I finally got around to reading Deathwatch: Ignition and the Imperial Fist character just.... was badly written. Does Black Library require all IF stories to be bad on purpose?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    And the one Aspect Eldar have in plastic and even is troops is unreasonably expensive compared to other troop kits from other armies since they turned it into a 5-man kit.

They should turn it back into a 10-elf box for 1.4× the price.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Oh hey, a new FAQ -

KcWVM1F.png?1

Fucking ow

Burnage on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I finally got around to reading Deathwatch: Ignition and the Imperial Fist character just.... was badly written. Does Black Library require all IF stories to be bad on purpose?

I thought 'The Beast Arises' was supposed to be good?

• Options
    https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/warhammer_40000_designers_commentary_en-1.pdf

Updated Commentary not just FAQ.

The last part with the flow chart on non-codex datasheets that are in the Index is really good and answers a lot of folks questions on like Riflemen dreads and such.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/warhammer_40000_designers_commentary_en-1.pdf

The last part with the flow chart on non-codex datasheets that are in the Index is really good and answers a lot of folks questions on like Riflemen dreads and such.

If I'm reading it right, use the most updated model profile (i.e. the codex) but use points and rules from the index for legacy options?

That's a pretty nice compromise I think

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
  • Options
    Oh hey, a new FAQ -

KcWVM1F.png?1

Fucking ow

From the top to the bottom, in one fell swoop.

GW FAQ-Kingslayer

• Options
    Arch wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »

If I'm reading it right, use the most updated model profile (i.e. the codex) but use points and rules from the index for legacy options?

That's a pretty nice compromise I think

If it has points and rules in the codex for the options use those. Just use the index load out. If the codex has no points or rules use the index.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular

I thought 'The Beast Arises' was supposed to be good?

I liked it, but the if got wiped out, all but one man, in the first book. Still par for the course. At least they got to rebuild. And the last IF was a beast himself. A very good character.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    That Ynnari change fucking hurts. Totally decapitated. Well that project is now dead to me until they get a full codex.

• Options
    It mentioned using the same soulburner ability in the faq being once a turn. So I imagine in their codex they’ll get a whole bunch of different soulburst type things to use.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Ynnari always seemed kinda half-baked as a concept.
    Bring them back as a full codex with their own units etc.
    The allies/detachments system is robust enough if you wanna mix in Dark and Craftworld.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I kinda miss the old allies system, although as an Imperial player the loss of it didn't really hit me that hard. I understand that it was abused to hell and back during tournaments, but I still thought it was cool.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I kinda miss the old allies system, although as an Imperial player the loss of it didn't really hit me that hard. I understand that it was abused to hell and back during tournaments, but I still thought it was cool.

It did allow you to do some cool stuff, like Ork mercenaries or non-FW renegades.

I converted up 4 ork assassins to use as allies with my orks, but they never saw battle before that option was removed :( (But I did make them so that they could stand in for regular orks to account for that eventuality, so not all was lost.)

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    I only wish they could somehow force you to make up even the thinnest fluff reason for why they're allied. I had a side project I was slowly working towards by collecting various random bitz (and thankfully hadn't thrown much money at yet) where I was going to do an Inquisition / Death Watch / Tyranids list, with all the bugs modeled with "control unit" cybernetics. The centerpiece model was going to be a Flyrant modeled with a saddle and kitbashed Inquisitor riding it. The idea was basically "successful Anphelion project".

And so even though allying Nids with anything is outrageous and even in the old rules they'd be Come the Apocalypse so I'd have to keep the forces a few inches apart, if I got all my modelling right I doubt anyone would ever give me a hard time about that army.

I just want, if, say, I see some guy playing Tau & Necrons, to hear "Oh the Earth Caste engineers managed to slip a computer virus into a Tomb World's reawakening protocol and gained control of these guys" rather than "I needed some long range firepower for my Necron army".

• Options
    TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Ynnari always seemed kinda half-baked as a concept.
    Bring them back as a full codex with their own units etc.
    The allies/detachments system is robust enough if you wanna mix in Dark and Craftworld.

Oh absolutely, but I fell in love with the concept and had been building around Yvraine already.

It's kind of a blessing in disguise because it means I can focus in on my Adepticon AdMil for the team tournament.

• Options
    Btw, anyone have any ideas for converting some sniper models? I like the stats (and cost) of ratling snipers but, by God, do I hate how ratlings look.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Btw, anyone have any ideas for converting some sniper models? I like the stats (and cost) of ratling snipers but, by God, do I hate how ratlings look.

I would just use Cadian snipers.

• Options
    I probably will end up doing that, it'd be nice to somehow show the abhuman thing though. Someone else suggest Tallarn snipers as apparently they're very thin and spindly, but Forgeworld discontinued them and I can't find old ones anywhere.

Anyone know the size of the old metal Space Marine Scout snipers, compared to metal Kasrkin and Sisters specifically? I know metal models from back in the day tend to be a lot smaller, if those are shorter then I do see a few floating around ebay.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    You could use some Skaven models, like the jezzail, for some literal ratling snipers.

This discussion has been closed.