As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] The FAQ has arrived

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Kharadron Overlords are literally improved squats. You could move those models to 40k with no changes or additional upgrades and they would fit in perfectly. They're all wearing space suits, they have servo assisted power weapons and Gatling guns, they live in space, they're space dwarves!

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    That putrid detonation aka how to be spiteful.

I fucking love this stratagem. Fucking suicide helbrutes incoming.

If you want to be a super dick, you could bring mortarion and a sorcerer. Cast warptime on mortarion to guarantee first turn charge, activate the 3 cp stratagem to double dip on his mortal wounds aura. Make small elite armies cry horrible tears.

I also really hope he counts as a demon, because I'm having too much fun casting a heralds virulent blessing on stuff it clearly wasn't intended to be cast on. Pop it on your drone and make people cry the saltiest of tears (2d6 autohits at str 6, or 7 near the herald, getting +1 to wound rolls and rerollings ones, -1ap double damage on a six is so incredibly stupid).

Alternatively the herald can heal him if he is a demon too, which is also really funny.

Edit: Hmmm I know nautral ones always miss, but do natural ones fail too wound because if not that blessing gets reeeallly bad on morty .....

Norgoth on
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Yes, 1's always fail.

website_header.jpg
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Also next heldrake I will pay the extra to build myself so I can paint it all first. Painting one that was already build is murder for a lot of the hard to reach detail.

Sub assembly is the light. I don't know anyone outside of the people who make GW painting videos that paint models after assembling them entirely. Some people say "If you can see a spot, you can get a brush in there" but I am nowhere near that skilled.

If you're buying Heldrakes it might be worthwhile to see if any of the game stores in your area still have a Stormcloud Attack box lying around. If you can go in on it with a Marine player who needs a Stormtalon you each could save around fifteen bucks.

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Converting/kitbashing things makes sub assemblies really difficult. I hardly ever know if the thing I'm making is even going to look good until it's all together, and most of it's held together with greenstuff and fitted plasticard. In order to sub assemble it, I'd have to break it apart again, and I've never found it worth the trouble.

website_header.jpg
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Also next heldrake I will pay the extra to build myself so I can paint it all first. Painting one that was already build is murder for a lot of the hard to reach detail.

Sub assembly is the light. I don't know anyone outside of the people who make GW painting videos that paint models after assembling them entirely. Some people say "If you can see a spot, you can get a brush in there" but I am nowhere near that skilled.

If you're buying Heldrakes it might be worthwhile to see if any of the game stores in your area still have a Stormcloud Attack box lying around. If you can go in on it with a Marine player who needs a Stormtalon you each could save around fifteen bucks.

I got mine on ebay for $47 with shipping. Dude had already built it and glued to to the stand. But it was $30 bucks off so there we go.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Sometimes if I'm building something and I know I won't have time to get it painted for a game (like the time I bought a knight the evening before an Apocalypse game because I didn't want to be the only guy without a superheavy) I'll glue everything together but using a tiny, tiny amount of superglue on certain spots. This way I can throw whatever model in the freezer for a little bit and then disassemble whatever parts are going to be in the way of a brush.

I got mine on ebay for $47 with shipping. Dude had already built it and glued to to the stand. But it was $30 bucks off so there we go.

As someone who carries his stuff to games in an over the shoulder bag, glued to the stand makes me incredibly sad because there's no way that heldrake would ever get used if I had it.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Deathguard really like their mortal wounds, don't they?

I'm looking through these rules and just thinking that the best way to beat Death Guard is to stay the hell away from them.

• HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

I'm looking through these rules and just thinking that the best way to beat Death Guard is to stay the hell away from them.
    That or copious amounts of toothpaste.

Norgoth wrote: »

As someone who carries his stuff to games in an over the shoulder bag, glued to the stand makes me incredibly sad because there's no way that heldrake would ever get used if I had it.

I have tried a few ways to remove it but no luck. I carry my defiler in a box anyway because it never fits well into a bag so the drake goes with it.

Luckily the wings did fall off in transit which has been a god send in painting. I am almost one with one and it is nuts.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »

That or copious amounts of toothpaste.

Deathguard: Actually the Cavity Creeps of 40k

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular

I tend to assemble eveything, then paint it. It hasn't always been easy.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Most models you can assemble and paint just fine. It's not always ideal, but even bolters over the chests of marines have never really been a big problem. Usually if I can't paint it perfectly you can't really see it.

Sometimes though, you just can't paint the model assembled. A whole bunch of the Dreadfleet stuff was like this.

Everyone has different tolerances for this sort've thing though, I guess. For me though, unpainted models on the table are one thing, but I'd never bring an unfinished assembly.

Lezta on
    I have only refused a single game in my entire career as a professional Warhammering 40ker, and that was against a list that had 3 sets of robot legs with nothing else attached, flying bases with empty flight stands, and the packaging for a rhino cut and taped into a transport-shaped box. I'm not going to fight reverse amputee dreadknights, invisible stormravens and Schrodinger's Rhino.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I remember ages ago playing someone in Warhammer Fantasy who insisted on having an empty but painted base as a regular model because his Chaos Spawn had an "invisibility mutation".

I remember ages ago playing someone in Warhammer Fantasy who insisted on having an empty but painted base as a regular model because his Chaos Spawn had an "invisibility mutation".

This is terrible, but also, if it was say an empty base with some foot prints and maybe the running away guy from the giant kit or like a guy getting killed I would allow it.

Basically put at least some effect in Jesus.

Having played a lot of competitive warmachine I have seen worse. All tournaments require minimum 3 colours, a basing material and all the models components on the base. Because of the hyper competitive nature I have seen some terrible thing done in the name of "this came out last night" including

Literally painting the model in three seperate bands of colour like say, the Italian flag.

All kinds of "basing material" including instant coffee and crushed animal crackers.

And once, all the components glued to a base. Not to each other, just all glued flat to the base individually.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I heard tale of someone turning up to a Blood Bowl tourney at Warhammer World with the old cardboard standees from 1st edition. They were original GW figures in at least three colours so fit the letter of the rules! He was also being a smart ass and had a proper team ready to go after he'd made the officials flap a bit.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I heard tale of someone turning up to a Blood Bowl tourney at Warhammer World with the old cardboard standees from 1st edition. They were original GW figures in at least three colours so fit the letter of the rules! He was also being a smart ass and had a proper team ready to go after he'd made the officials flap a bit.

A nerd who thinks he's clever. What a treat for everyone.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705

A nerd who thinks he's clever. What a treat for everyone.

I am more impressed he still had the paper cuts.

u7stthr17eud.png
    edited September 2017
    GW has a rule that you can use older versions of models as long as they still have current rules, if I had an opponent was able to maintain an original Bloodbowl set in good shape, or had taken the time and effort to track one down, I'd give them a high five.

I haven't played Blood Bowl, but I am assuming there isn't any competitive advantage to cardoard cutouts (as opposed to 40K where OOP models tend to be significantly smaller than modern ones so they're easier to hide behind cover), is this the case?

SmokeStacks on
    You could play Blood bowl with chess pieces or coloured tokens. The only thing the figures technically do is distinguish the positionals in the team.

• Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    You could play Blood bowl with chess pieces or coloured tokens. The only thing the figures technically do is distinguish the positionals in the team.

I keep planning out a Dwarf team made out of Lego minifigs but stop because I already have a completely finished Dwarf team (with staff and extras) and don't need another one.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    I had a necron warrior break at the waist ages ago.
    My friends insisted i didnt fix him, and started calling him Leggy

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Badablack wrote: »
    I have only refused a single game in my entire career as a professional Warhammering 40ker, and that was against a list that had 3 sets of robot legs with nothing else attached, flying bases with empty flight stands, and the packaging for a rhino cut and taped into a transport-shaped box. I'm not going to fight reverse amputee dreadknights, invisible stormravens and Schrodinger's Rhino.

When I played Dark Eldar the running gag was that the tape I held the unglued Raiders together with should give me +1 AV (for a whopping 11!), and it was perfectly alright for a taped Raider full of Grotesques to disgorge an Ogre, a Crisis Suit and a Tyranid Warrior because I didn't have enough Grotesque models.

And there's still only one Grotesque model so fuck you GW.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Badablack wrote: »

When I played Dark Eldar the running gag was that the tape I held the unglued Raiders together with should give me +1 AV (for a whopping 11!), and it was perfectly alright for a taped Raider full of Grotesques to disgorge an Ogre, a Crisis Suit and a Tyranid Warrior because I didn't have enough Grotesque models.

And there's still only one Grotesque model so fuck you GW.

Dark Eldar get massively shafted on some of their units.

Looking at you, Razorwing Flocks, for costing £10 per 14 point model.

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/09/06/citadel-paint-app-release-date-and-huge-competition-announced-sep-6gw-homepage-post-1/

To celebrate the release of this revolutionary painting app, we’re running a competition to give 5 early downloaders a free set of every single base, shade and layer paint in the Citadel range!

That’s well over 100 paints! What do you have to do to be in with a chance to win this fabulous prize, you ask?

What complex set of tasks must be completed in order to be found worthy of such bounty?

You just have to download it!

The earlier the better, as every day of the week after download, one lucky app-user will be informed that they have won. The first draw will be on Monday the 18th, continuing all week with the final draw on Friday the 22nd – so the earlier you download, the better your odds are of winning.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Painting... app?

• VikingViking Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Painting... app?
    looks to be a suggestion tool that will let you know which colours to use to hilight/shade a base colour.
    also lets you take a photo of a mini (or other object) and get a paint equivalent suggestion

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Painting... app?

I'm guessing it's the modern version of the old 'here's a space marine outline, color in all the parts with fill color to figure out how you want to do your scheme.'

Man, winning all that paint would be nice!

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    You pick a color you want to paint and it gives you a base/shade/layer/edge recipe to achieve with a video of Duncan doing it, basically.

It keeps track of your paint collection so it can tell you which ones to buy to do the thing. And if I recall from the presentation you can save schemes (and maybe mixes) you've come up with for future reference.

Basically it is for painting the GW way with GW paint, which is precisely what it should be. It is going to be the very first stop I point people to when they ask me how to start painting wardollies.

Also the reason there isn't a 40k army builder app yet is because they focused on getting this done & out the door ASAP.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    *looks at his 17 year old word doc of paint schemes* I am cautiously intrigued. :lol:

• TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Some ghostkeel battlesuits advancing on my last remaining units in tonight's game. They did a lot of damage but I still managed to win on objective points

yd6um58kcbm6.png

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Are the Tau now just a battlesuit army or do you still have to take the basic ones as troops?

• VikingViking Registered User regular
    no army has to take troops any more, that said the tau basic infantry are really good and because drones are not tied to the squad they were purchased with you can get some nice combos going
    I really like the range boosting drones from the pathfinders to back up my Strike teams (why hello 18" rapid fire)

I find the suits are too expensive for what they do for the most part to really load up on them any more.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
    That Death Guard legion tactic seems really good. Like eat your heart out Black Legion and Craftworlds good.

It's kind of necessary though. There's very little long range shooting or quick movement in a DG list. If your army is slowly trusting up the field they need something they can do while getting blown apart.

That said, versus other close range shooty armies? Death Guard are gonna be absolutely nasty. MSU spam is the worst thing to take against them, you'll get decimated by all their mortal wound auras. Using packs of CC squads against them will do pretty well I think, they're not that great at melee anymore.

DG is looking good. I think though I should be able to out shoot them as Emp Children considering how amazing Noise Marines are now. Wish I just didn't despise nurgle stuff. Yuck.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Back in the far flung past of 6th edition I made a decent amount of cash selling LED'd helbrutes from the Dark Vengeance box. Get a helbrute off a bits site for 8 bucks or so, pop a light and switch setup in there for 1-2 bucks, then sell it for 30. Extra to chop off its fist and melta and replace with something else. Probably would have done better if they weren't kinda trash all the way through to 7th. Fast forward to 8th edition...

901909_sm-WIP%20led%20drone.JPG

With Bloat Drones, they're even easier to LED up, and look to actually be decent units in a popular army. I'm wondering if I should get a bunch of cheap ones, bling them up, and try to cash in once the DG book hits.

edited September 2017
    Shame bloat drones so far are considered mediocre. Helbrutes though are considered pretty awesome. Well sometimes.

That looks cool though.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.