As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] The FAQ has arrived

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Chrysis wrote: »
    Why did he have to shoot the cultists before the pox-walkers?

The two stratagems he mentioned: “Cloud of Flies” gives a unit basically the same protections as a character and “the Dead Walk” turns every kill within range of the poxwalkers into another poxwalker, from both sides, no rolling.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Voro wrote: »
    I'm finally approaching the point where I may have an army to field. Battlescribe's 8th edition files appear to have evaporated, so here's an army where I hopefully didn't fuck up the points:

Death Guard - Not Quite 2K:
    HQ
    Typhus

Malignant Plaguecaster

Troops
    20x Poxwalkers

20x Poxwalkers

7x Plague Marines (Plasma gun on champ, 2x blight launcher)

Chaos Rhino w/ Combi-bolter

Elites
    Noxious Blightbringer

5x Blightlord Terminators (Flail, Blight Launcher, 3x Combi-plasma, 4x Bubotic Axe)

5x Blightlord Terminators (Flail, Blight Launcher, 3x Combi-plasma, 4x Bubotic Axe)

Fast Attack
    Foetid Bloat-Drone (Fleshmower & Plague Probe)

Heavy Support
    Plagueburst Crawler (Plagueburst Mortar, Heavy Slugger, 2x Entropy Cannon)

Grand Total: 1983

Complete Bullshit Theory Crafting From Someone Who Has Never Played:
    I'm hoping Typhus and the Noxious Blightbringer can footslog their way up the field with the Poxwalkers leading the way. The Rhino can get the Plague Marines and Malignant Plaguecaster to rush an objective or flank. Foetid Bloat-Drones either draw fire, or chew through enemy forces. Plagueburst Crawlers hang back and bombard, try to get narrow fields of fire to do some long range support with their full arsenal without being too exposed. Not sure if I should resign those to being in the enemy's face and maybe grab plaguespitters to discourage charges. Not sure where to throw the remaining points. Maybe a Havoc Launcher or Combi-flamer on the Rhino.

Also not sure if two terminator squads are worth it, or if I should drop one and throw in another character. Maybe a Chaos Lord in Terminator Armour to drop in with the group? I might be able to slide in another Plagueburst Crawler in that case.

The list feels a bit rushed, but it's mainly so I make sure I get my preorders in asap.

Seems fine, try and swap the fleshmowers into the twin flamers, the drone is WS/BS 4, which makes the twin flamer a come out way ahead than the other two options but quite some ways. I think the reaper Cannon is better on the terminators than the blight launcher but I haven't tested it (they get no penalty to hit using it so I think it might edge out the launcher)

Just a heads up the box set for the terminators only has one of each combi weapon in it. Consider maybe a melta squad instead of two plasma.

Also I would advise against foot slogging typhus, he is slow as hell. I normally leave him in deepstrike and drop him in behind the walkers later on.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Meanwhile, first world problems - I was thinking about selling my Tau army after the new codex dropped, because I need to trim my hobby collection. My birthday had come and gone without me paying much attention to it, and I had a box show up today. My sister had helped organize a family present for me, and I now have nice new things like a Ghostkeel kit, because I never got those off of my amazon wish list.

Looks like I'm still playing Tau! :lol:

I'm in the middle of a massive hobby purge, myself. My IG were on the chopping block but that new codex on the horizon ...

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    I'm finally approaching the point where I may have an army to field. Battlescribe's 8th edition files appear to have evaporated, so here's an army where I hopefully didn't fuck up the points:

HQ
    Typhus

Malignant Plaguecaster

Troops
    20x Poxwalkers

20x Poxwalkers

Elites
    Noxious Blightbringer

Fast Attack

Heavy Support

I'm hoping Typhus and the Noxious Blightbringer can footslog their way up the field with the Poxwalkers leading the way. The Rhino can get the Plague Marines and Malignant Plaguecaster to rush an objective or flank. Foetid Bloat-Drones either draw fire, or chew through enemy forces. Plagueburst Crawlers hang back and bombard, try to get narrow fields of fire to do some long range support with their full arsenal without being too exposed. Not sure if I should resign those to being in the enemy's face and maybe grab plaguespitters to discourage charges. Not sure where to throw the remaining points. Maybe a Havoc Launcher or Combi-flamer on the Rhino.

Also not sure if two terminator squads are worth it, or if I should drop one and throw in another character. Maybe a Chaos Lord in Terminator Armour to drop in with the group? I might be able to slide in another Plagueburst Crawler in that case.

The list feels a bit rushed, but it's mainly so I make sure I get my preorders in asap.

Fleshmowers are cool as hell, but you should give the plaguespitter (flamer) variant a whirl. They're really good! 2d6 shots, authits, reroll 1s to wound, and -1 so. They're good on attack and defense because they melt stuff on overwatch.

If you are going to drop a unit of terminators I would pick up more plague marines. the dark imperium marines are pretty cheap and plentiful on eBay.

As for the Blightlord termies themselves, I get the whole hype for combi wrapons, but Inexorable Advance means the basic combibolters are firing 4 times each at 18" which is a really solid firebase. Maybe 1 combi plasma gun as I think the kit only comes with 1 of every combi weapon outside of the standard bolters. Also, the Blight launcher is cool, but I think the Reaper Cannon is better at s7 4 shots, the ap is a little worse but the extra shots make up for it.

In theory a unit with 4 combibolters and the RAC are spitting out 16 bolter shots and 4 autocannon shots. Just sit them on a back/midline objective and watch em work while daring people to come dig them out.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    From the sentence about vostroya I'm now getting that they get +6" range on rapid fire guns when they don't move.

Yep, almost right, but even stronger than I expected. plasma forever it seems:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/09/27/regiment-focus-vostroyan-sep27gw-homepage-post-2/

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I'm starting to feel sadder and sadder that I'm playing an army which isn't going to get a Codex for a while.

edited September 2017
    Burnage wrote: »
    I'm starting to feel sadder and sadder that I'm playing an army which isn't going to get a Codex for a while.

Chapter Approved is going to have stuff for armies without codex, I think

Also, I didn't even think of tanks with the Vostroya trait. 30" Demolisher cannons!

I do think it's stupid that the other special weapons get no boni at all, it's just plasma guns all the way so far. I hope they go up in points accordingly. Otherwise why would you ever use grenade launchers or Meltas?

honovere on
    Here's a 2k list I made based on my stuff:

HQ:
    Typhus
    Malignant Blightcaster
    Elites:
    Noxious Blightbringer
    3 Deathshroud Terminators
    Troops:
    26 Poxwalkers
    3 Units of 7 Plague Marines, Sarges has Powerfist and Plasmagun, 1 squaddies each has a Meltagun and Blight Launcher, each unit has an Icon of Misery
    Fast Attack:
    Foetid Bloat Drone with 2 Plaguespitters and Plague Probe
    Heavy Support:
    Plagueburst Crawler with Mortar, 2 Entropy Cannons, and a Rothail Volley
    Landraider with havoc launcher
    2000 pts

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

Chapter Approved is going to have stuff for armies without codex, I think

Also, I didn't even think of tanks with the Vostroya trait. 30" Demolisher cannons!

I do think it's stupid that the other special weapons get no boni at all, it's just plasma guns all the way so far. I hope they go up in points accordingly. Otherwise why would you ever use grenade launchers or Meltas?

Last I looked at Battlescribe, I don't have the Guard index, their plasma was 6 pts a gun cheaper than it is on my CSM. That alone would be a quick easy fix for some of this. Guns probably should be the same cost across armies. Plasma are 13 pt, Melta 15pts, and flamers are 9 pts for me.

And yes I now I hit 16% more often as a marine than a guardsman but I am paying for that in my base cost of being 13 pts verse the much cheaper guardsman.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • VoroVoro Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Seems fine, try and swap the fleshmowers into the twin flamers, the drone is WS/BS 4, which makes the twin flamer a come out way ahead than the other two options but quite some ways. I think the reaper Cannon is better on the terminators than the blight launcher but I haven't tested it (they get no penalty to hit using it so I think it might edge out the launcher)

Just a heads up the box set for the terminators only has one of each combi weapon in it. Consider maybe a melta squad instead of two plasma.

Also I would advise against foot slogging typhus, he is slow as hell. I normally leave him in deepstrike and drop him in behind the walkers later on.

Ah, I forgot that some kits are more generous than others. I'm looking into bits and it seems like most easy to get combi-weapons are marine-sized over-under, rather than terminator side-by-side ones. I'm seeing talk of using plasma pistols to convert. I may have to give that a shot.

And no clue on the cannon, but I'll definitely take a look. Haven't mathhammered anything so far.
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Fleshmowers are cool as hell, but you should give the plaguespitter (flamer) variant a whirl. They're really good! 2d6 shots, authits, reroll 1s to wound, and -1 so. They're good on attack and defense because they melt stuff on overwatch.

If you are going to drop a unit of terminators I would pick up more plague marines. the dark imperium marines are pretty cheap and plentiful on eBay.

As for the Blightlord termies themselves, I get the whole hype for combi wrapons, but Inexorable Advance means the basic combibolters are firing 4 times each at 18" which is a really solid firebase. Maybe 1 combi plasma gun as I think the kit only comes with 1 of every combi weapon outside of the standard bolters. Also, the Blight launcher is cool, but I think the Reaper Cannon is better at s7 4 shots, the ap is a little worse but the extra shots make up for it.

In theory a unit with 4 combibolters and the RAC are spitting out 16 bolter shots and 4 autocannon shots. Just sit them on a back/midline objective and watch em work while daring people to come dig them out.

So the consensus is that the flamers on the drone are better? I mean, that's easier for me, I only need one kit (or I could grab Dark Imperium bits for less).

My hesitation to use combi-bolters is the weak strength. I think I have plenty of ways to deal with hordes, but I'm going to have a tough time with heavy armour. And of course, if I swap in a terminator lord then I can potentially always supercharge plasma with little risk.

XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
    edited September 2017

Ah, I forgot that some kits are more generous than others. I'm looking into bits and it seems like most easy to get combi-weapons are marine-sized over-under, rather than terminator side-by-side ones. I'm seeing talk of using plasma pistols to convert. I may have to give that a shot.

And no clue on the cannon, but I'll definitely take a look. Haven't mathhammered anything so far.

So the consensus is that the flamers on the drone are better? I mean, that's easier for me, I only need one kit (or I could grab Dark Imperium bits for less).

My hesitation to use combi-bolters is the weak strength. I think I have plenty of ways to deal with hordes, but I'm going to have a tough time with heavy armour. And of course, if I swap in a terminator lord then I can potentially always supercharge plasma with little risk.

I've also found my DG struggle with Armour. I'm considering melta terminators because of this. The new tanks should help, but there also going to need lord support (BS4).

Also combi bolters ain't too bad, str 4 is fine and we do have veterans of the long war, which makes them surprisingly dangerous.

Edit: I'm probably going to get two boxes of terminators and play one squad with 2 melta and one with two plasma, both with flail and autocannon. Mayyybbbeee combi flamer on the champ for overwatch but probably not.

Norgoth on
    Oh, this sprue might be combi plasma / melta / flamer. If so, I think I have 12 of these to potentially use. Not sure if the fist needs removal for it to work on a terminator, but this is probably easier than juryrigging plasma pistols.
    mki2pa9qfug9.jpg

I believe the Lord, like most models, is killed outright if you roll a 1 on overcharge.

The answer I take against armor is euther melta/ plasma in the Plaguemarine squads or putting big guns on vehicles like Laz Predators, a dred with a Laz or multimelta, etc.

Also, don't forget your Plague Crawlers have 2 Entropy Cannons which is essentially a Lascannon with 1 less Strength and 8" less range. The Plague Mortar itself is no slouch either at S8 -2ap, d3 dmg, and rerolling 1s to wound.

Ah, I was meaning the terminators dying less to overcharge rather than the lord himself. At least I would hope that's how the Lord of Nurgle ability works. ie: 1/36 chance of dying because you need two 1s in a row, rather than 1/6 chance with no rerolls.

Ah, I was meaning the terminators dying less to overcharge rather than the lord himself. At least I would hope that's how the Lord of Nurgle ability works. ie: 1/36 chance of dying because you need two 1s in a row, rather than 1/6 chance with no rerolls.

Yeah but that is for everyone.

I tend to drop a sorc or lord with my plasma termi bomb but being a party boy of Slaanesh I tend to double tap too.

But yes how it works is you roll a 1, reroll the 1 with the lord. If it isn't a 1 you live. If you roll the 1/36 chance of a 1 the termi goes boom.

Prescience helps with this a lot more but requires spells going off.

u7stthr17eud.png
    edited September 2017
    Oh, this sprue might be combi plasma / melta / flamer. If so, I think I have 12 of these to potentially use. Not sure if the fist needs removal for it to work on a terminator, but this is probably easier than juryrigging plasma pistols.
    mki2pa9qfug9.jpg

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Legion-Combi-weapon-Set-2015

Probably cheaper parts wise. It's worth considering that the new terminators have tentacles and shit all over their weapons.

Also a weird quirk of the supercharge rules. Most vehicles have a named alternate plasma gun that deals a set one mortal wound on a failed supercharge.

Chaos vehicles can take combi weapons. But these are the regular normal combiplasmas. So a predator with its combiplasma that rolls a one supercharging just straight up dies.

Norgoth on
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I’ll put a cheapo combiflamer on any vehicle that can take it. It’s good at everything with no drawbacks.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
    Badablack wrote: »
    I’ll put a cheapo combiflamer on any vehicle that can take it. It’s good at everything with no drawbacks.

I know it's more expensive, but if I have the points it's going to be a melta. For the LR and Predator it's a Havoc Launcher.

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I miss being able to take 2 combibolters, a combiplasma and a havoc launcher on Chaos rhinos. With the firing points they could shoot way above their pay grade.
    And Defilers too. Sure the battle cannon rules meant all their other weapons were kinda wasted but you could just strap everything to those guys.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    I put combimeltas on rhinos/raiders (makes rhinos a pretty decent battletank after the fact!) and combiflamers on characters and defilers. 19pts is a lot to swallow for an exess of combimeltas though. Chaos characters are all close support, and if theyre close enough for that, theyre close enough to burninate. Advance>flamer works great with the renegade trait too. Flamer cultists are fantastic.

website_header.jpg
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017

HQ
    Typhus

Malignant Plaguecaster

Troops
    20x Poxwalkers

20x Poxwalkers

Elites
    Noxious Blightbringer

Fast Attack

Heavy Support

I tried to use BattleScribe last night, no 8th edition files. I added up my own army, twice. Then this morning, the files show up, put the units in with all their options, and BS shows me 49 points over. I trust myself more.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg

HQ
    Typhus

Malignant Plaguecaster

Troops
    20x Poxwalkers

20x Poxwalkers

Elites
    Noxious Blightbringer

Fast Attack

Heavy Support

I tried to use BattleScribe last night, no 8th edition files. I added up my own army, twice. Then this morning, the files show up, put the units in with all their options, and BS shows me 49 points over. I trust myself more.

I went and built your army in BS, I got 1983 just the same as your estimate. Warhammer 40,000 v1.0.48 which is on github is what you need to be using. That is the one with the best data.
    +++ New Roster (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) +++

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Chaos - Death Guard) [105 PL, 1983pts] ++

+ HQ +

Malignant Plaguecaster [6 PL, 110pts]: Blight Grenades, Bolt pistol, Corrupted staff, Krak grenade, Smite

Typhus [9 PL, 175pts]: Blight Grenades, Master-crafted manreaper, Smite, The Destroyer Hive

+ Troops +

Plague Marines [10 PL, 174pts]
    . Plague Champion: Blight Grenades, Krak grenade, Plague knife, Plasma gun
    . 4x Plague Marine w/ boltgun: 4x Blight Grenades, 4x Boltgun, 4x Krak Grenades, 4x Plague knife
    . Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Blight Grenades, Blight launcher, Krak grenade, Plague knife
    . Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Blight Grenades, Blight launcher, Krak grenade, Plague knife

Poxwalkers [6 PL, 120pts]
    . 20x Poxwalker: 20x Improvised weapon

Poxwalkers [6 PL, 120pts]
    . 20x Poxwalker: 20x Improvised weapon

+ Elites +

Blightlord Terminators [14 PL, 279pts]
    . Blightlord Terminator: Bubotic Axe, Combi-plasma
    . Blightlord Terminator: Blight launcher, Bubotic Axe
    . Blightlord Terminator: Flail of Corruption
    . Blightlord Terminator Champion: Bubotic Axe, Combi-plasma

Blightlord Terminators [14 PL, 279pts]
    . Blightlord Terminator: Blight launcher, Bubotic Axe
    . Blightlord Terminator: Flail of Corruption
    . Blightlord Terminator Champion: Bubotic Axe, Combi-plasma

Noxious Blightbringer [4 PL, 70pts]: Blight Grenades, Cursed plague bell, Krak grenade, Plasma pistol

+ Fast Attack +

Foetid Bloat-drone [8 PL, 136pts]: Fleshmower, Plague probe

Foetid Bloat-drone [8 PL, 136pts]: Fleshmower, Plague probe

+ Heavy Support +

Plagueburst Crawler [8 PL, 156pts]: 2x Entropy cannon, Heavy Slugger, Plagueburst Mortar

Plagueburst Crawler [8 PL, 156pts]: 2x Entropy cannon, Heavy Slugger, Plagueburst Mortar

+ Dedicated Transport +

Chaos Rhino [4 PL, 72pts]: Combi-bolter, Smoke launchers

++ Total: [105 PL, 1983pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

u7stthr17eud.png
    Would you be willing to trade up 1 u it if Blightlords for another unit of Plague Marines, @Voro ?

It would give your list more flexibility AND give you another 100 points to play with. That's another 20 Poxwalkers, so you would have 2 units of 30. A Tallyman or Plague Surgeon would also increase the effectiveness of your Poxwalkers by giving them rerolls to hit/ better resilence. You could also find some room elsewhere in the list to add a Helbrute for some heavy close combat punch.

• NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Max unit size for Poxwalkers is 20.

edited September 2017
    Nealneal wrote: »

It's 20 on the sheet, but if your clever you can get much bigger pox walker units with the right strategems. 100 points is two units of cultists you can "feed" to the walkers very easily.

Tallyman is a good shout with poxwalkers. With Typhus you can follow him around casting blades and vitality on them make str 5, with a +1 on the wound roll and mortal wounds on a 7. At that point there threatening a lot higher than their points cost.

Edit:I love the surgeon model, but in terms of an increased chance to DR the chance is so small it isn't worth the points.

Norgoth on
    Right, but I was replying to @No-Quarter talking clearing up points to make two units of 30.

@Nealneal

*squints*

Welp. 4 units of 15, or whatever combination he'd like in that case.

• HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    With four units of poxies and two units of Plague Marines you could run two battalions.

Tallyman is a good shout with poxwalkers. With Typhus you can follow him around casting blades and vitality on them make str 5, with a +1 on the wound roll and mortal wounds on a 7. At that point there threatening a lot higher than their points cost.

Poxwalkers don't have Plague Weapons, so they'll get the +1 to their wound rolls, but won't cause mortals on a 6. Still a good combo, though.

Now you're cooking with Plague! A cheap lord or Daemon Prince for some rerolls... Mmmmm... deliciously Nurgle-y!

Haphazard wrote: »
    With four units of poxies and two units of Plague Marines you could run two battalions.

He'd need 4 HQs, though. Interestingly, Deathguard can fill up their Elite slots fast using the characters.

• HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Haphazard wrote: »

He'd need 4 HQs, though. Interestingly, Deathguard can fill up their Elite slots fast using the characters.

Oh, I thought it's 1 HQ and 3 troops. Ok, so strike that.

Poxwalkers don't have Plague Weapons, so they'll get the +1 to their wound rolls, but won't cause mortals on a 6. Still a good combo, though.

This is a good point that I totally forgot when I used it on an opponent on Tuesday. Luckily I remember cursing quite loudly when I didn't get any mortal wounds, so no harm no foul.

Also you can take Plaugecaster as a fairly cheap HQ choice. He's 110 points but he can have a surprising amount of short range punch. Any 7+ to cast deals a mortal wound to the nearest enemy unit within 7", so get him within 6 and you can, cast two spells, once of which is smite, one of which is plaugewind, hopefully get your two bonus mortal wounds on top of your spells and then toss a blight grenade too. He is easily one of the most impactful models in my list, especially behind a poxwalker screen.

Take two of them for one of those detachments and that's a real threatening package.

edited September 2017
    Valhallans:

https://warhammer-community.com/2017/09/28/regiment-focus-valhallans-sep28gw-homepage-post-2/

Reduce fleeing models by half and double the wounds of vehicles when looking at the damage table.

Conscripts are now 30 models max and only take orders on 4+. Commissar synergy seems to still exist.

Send in the next wave seems like a better version of the Mechanicus Agripinaa equivalent?

Valhallans can shoot into close combat!

It also shows that combined squads are now a stratagem.

Article also confirms that regimental traits work on superheavies.

The Crush Them! stratagem is pretty cool.

Tomorrow is SteelLegion and apparently they have a changed background now with Armaggeddon being warped by Chaos and their rules change accordingly.

honovere on
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    (please get the "Chaos" keyword...)

website_header.jpg
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    If those are the only changes happening to Conscripts I'm still going to be terrified of them. Ignoring orders entirely, they're dirt cheap for their stats.

Although part of my fear of them is that they're basically precision engineered to be a Dark Eldar counter currently.

Also the other traits were apparently dropped in a stream on twitch.

Tallarn: advance and fire (not heavy weapons), vehicles can move and fire heavy weapons
    Steel Legion: rapid fire up to 18" (another buff for plasma), vehicles ignore AP of -1
    Cadians: re-roll 1s to hit if they don't move (and another one)
    Also Basilisks are now AP-3.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »
    (please get the "Chaos" keyword...)

An IG regiment available to both chaos an imperium would be fluffy as fuck. I love this idea.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    Thinking about what traits to take for my light infantry company plus Sentinels and the heavy infantry company with their tanks.

Light is probably going to be Tallarn. When I originally started them i build them around my Al-Raheem proxy.

No idea about the heavy inf. They're Cadians with extra armour modelled on but none of the traits make infantry more resilient.

If those are the only changes happening to Conscripts I'm still going to be terrified of them. Ignoring orders entirely, they're dirt cheap for their stats.

Although part of my fear of them is that they're basically precision engineered to be a Dark Eldar counter currently.

I kinda hoped that they wouldn't be effected by commissars, but there's still the chance that they change commissars to prevent that rather than conscripts.

Still smaller squads of them is less of an issue than they are currently.

This discussion has been closed.