As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] The FAQ has arrived

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    A big problem is using the word Competitive for things like malefic lord spam or conscript/commissar shenanigans. The idea that without a stacked list of nothing but the most cheesy unbalanced units possible you can’t ‘compete’ is not true.

Maybe at the highest levels of ESPN World Tournament level play they will show up a lot, but for your average tournament? Naw. And a regular game? Hell naw.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    A big problem is using the word Competitive for things like malefic lord spam or conscript/commissar shenanigans. The idea that without a stacked list of nothing but the most cheesy unbalanced units possible you can’t ‘compete’ is not true.

Maybe at the highest levels of ESPN World Tournament level play they will show up a lot, but for your average tournament? Naw. And a regular game? Hell naw.

I agree, for the most part. I mean, like I said, I brought a list of some of the most competitive stuff SM can bring, and I faced a list that was only 70% cheese, and I got completely, utterly wrecked. I also did about 4x better than anyone else that day against him. Maybe I've only played at competitive stores, but every place I've ever been, the people who show up for tourneys all bring stuff like this, and cracking the top 3 is always tough.

Regular games though, you rarely see that stuff. Concur 100%. I've only brought it up because he was looking at competitive, and I do believe I prefaced it by saying that most armies are fine in general for normal games.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't want to play games with most "competitive" players to begin with.

No-Quarter wrote: »
    I wouldn't want to play games with most "competitive" players to begin with.

Then you're missing out. Most of the actually competitive players I've met and played with are the best sportsmen and nicest dudes. At the top table yesterday we spent half the game laughing and joking. At big GTs, whenever I've played against a 'name', I've had a good time.

It's the neckbeards who show up to gaming days with super garbage tier armies, horribly painted that throw little fits about how their dollies did nothing and died, in my experience.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    So thoughts and rulings with you guys?

Steel behemoth rule for the super heavy tanks says that they can:

1) Fire their weapons even if locked in with units at 1"
    2)The HBs and Flamers can only shoot the units at 1"
    3)Everything else must shoot something else.

With this, it has no mention of the shooting phase I would say this works on Overwatch.

So if you lock in the first unit the HBs and flamers are now unable to fire (no legal charging target) but the big guns can.

What do you guys think?

u7stthr17eud.png
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    For the immortal kits, can I make both immortals and deathmarks and are there not enough pieces?

And for immortals, would magnetizing the guass and telsa guns work?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    Nah you only get enough torsos and legs for one or the other.
    But you can make your immortals, then use the Deathmark heads and guns on regular warrior bodies without much difficulty.
    I can’t remember how those weapons went on, but chances are magnets won’t help much with those spindly bodies.

Nah you only get enough torsos and legs for one or the other.
    But you can make your immortals, then use the Deathmark heads and guns on regular warrior bodies without much difficulty.
    I can’t remember how those weapons went on, but chances are magnets won’t help much with those spindly bodies.

True, magnets on immortals would probably cause more damage.

Good to know I can just toss the deathmark heads on warrior bodies. In have 69 right now and I got that starter kit with 12 warriors so I'll have 12 warriors to turn into deathmarks

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I put together a 2000 point Necron and Space Wolves list real quick. I like how both of them came out but I noticed the power level for each. Necrons are sitting at 99 while the Space Wolves are sitting at 132.

It’s because power levels assume you’re taking the max amount of upgrades on your squads. Necrons don’t really have upgrades, so their power stays low. But Space Wolves have a zillion little weapon and gear upgrades you can take which makes their level jump up even if you don’t take them.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I don't do the collecting so much as following the lore. I stopped paying attention for a while, did I miss any thing since Papa Smurf woke up?

I don't do the collecting so much as following the lore. I stopped paying attention for a while, did I miss any thing since Papa Smurf woke up?

Daddy told him that he didn't love him, and to get his ass back out there and make him some $$$$.

Would I ever need more than 60 Necron Warriors?

Played a 1k game today for the campaign I am in verse Grey Knights. Grey Knights just kind of don't work well at 1k. Also I kind of out numbered him 4 to one. I had 36 cultist in my list on top of two helbrutes, noise marines, and plasma havocs.

It wasn't pretty. I did lose all 36 of my cultist and a helbrute though. But I got my death hex off on the a sanctuary dreadknight. I also used chaos familiar for once because of how he set up and didn't have death hex at first hoping I could stop sanctuary but whatever.

Death hex is amazing. Won't lie still loving my chaos tool box.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    The options for chaos had me at a crossroads. I could turn what I have into a competent world eaters list but I really like the psychic phase and Slaanesh havocs shooting twice. I wanted the Renegade tactic for my berzerkers but it felt restrictive and giving up VOTLW hurts. Right now I have Renegade Chapter and Alpha Legion in different detachments and it seems like it'll be effective despite being clunky

Stragint wrote: »

Prolly not. At that point you can be opting into more Immortals.

The options for chaos had me at a crossroads. I could turn what I have into a competent world eaters list but I really like the psychic phase and Slaanesh havocs shooting twice. I wanted the Renegade tactic for my berzerkers but it felt restrictive and giving up VOTLW hurts. Right now I have Renegade Chapter and Alpha Legion in different detachments and it seems like it'll be effective despite being clunky

I run a mix between EC and Alpha Legion. My army tends to be pure slaanesh. Like today I was a full AL army but everyone had the slaanesh mark and I was running my slaanesh sorc for delightful agonies. Though I swapped it for death hex.

I burned through 7 cps in two turns today and I only rerolled twice. I was using my stratagems and used some I hadn't before like fire frenzy to finish a dreadknight with my dread. Also familiar because I wasn't sure which way I wanted. If I was first I wanted agonies to keep my stuff up.

VoTLW is amazing.

I have a dream list right now of all termis and Abaddon with some cultist. I think it is like 10 cp or something nuts and is full of rerolls and well termis.

I think the thing is with the codex there is very little I can't find a way to use with efficiency.

u7stthr17eud.png
    I played a pretty boring Guard list today. The guy insisted we do one of the old missions where you tag objectives at the end of the game, which should have been my first clue. It just reminded me how much I disliked those mission types once the new maelstrom stuff came out, and how it exacerbated problems with the guy’s Leman Russ parking lot list. Everything crammed in one corner with a heap of meatshields, just blowing my army away then rushing to grab stuff at the very end.

I was tempted to keep as much as I could in reserve, park the rest in as much LOS blocking terrain as I could, and just sit there. Not come out, not rush forward into the guns. It would be incredibly unfun, but damn if doing the Trail of Tears into his gunline was much funner.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular

Only if playing a ridiculously large game and you run out of other options. I have around 80 or so, and have managed to get 60 out at one time every now or then but in general I don't play large enough games for that many without sacrificing things I need for more oomph in my list.

• SvenskaSvenska Registered User regular
    Ran my 1k all dread list against a buddies 3 pred chaos list. Libby dread, 3 redemptors and a furioso had a pretty tough time against killshot every turn. Had a ton of fun with the tactical objectives though, so it was pretty solid, and he apologized after the game for killshot being as good as it was.

I'd say I need to run more anti tank, but I don't really have the points for it I think, and taking out the furioso for a lascannon and missile one just seems meh? Still probably couldn't kill a tank in one turn?

Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

eNozN1RVNTYwUDVRNVUzUjOsMVQzRCON1UyApAmYbQZRYwaRBlOqZSYA7ZUOyQ==
    So I'm magnetizing my night/death scythe weapons so I can change them at will and it worked perfectly. I'm gonna magnetize my destroyers next and my the 3 thunderwolves I have since they keep coming off of the base.

Unfortunately my friend decided to finish his Infinity army instead of grabbing Orks tonight so I won't be playing against Orks any time soon but hopefully soonish.

Also, one of the LGS store owners came up and said something about not being able to get product anymore. I think he said something like front line or store front. I think he was talking about the finecast stuff but has something changed?

Also also, can I use a Tech Marine Servator as an Iron Wolf?

Last also, what is up with Primaris units? They look cool and I want them but I use Space Wolves and all the cool tanks cause I only have 2 lander raiders and 3 rhinos.

• TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Primaris have been hit and miss. They can be taken by any space marine chapter including the non-codex ones like wolves. No one I know likes the intercessors but I think the hellblasters are good units

My 2 biggest problems with them:
    They aren't efficient against blocks of filler units which are popular
    All of the 2 damage weapons running around. They seem like durable cover hugging infantry until some asshole with an autocannon or plasma gun snipes 2 dudes that cost even more each

They're easy to try because the Dark Imperium squads are still up for cheap online

TIFunkalicious on
    edited October 2017

I would never do more than 1 block of twenty, TBH. I don't think they're particularly useful in this edition. Plus, they only have to kill 15 to wipe all 20, unless you spend 2 CP
    Svenska wrote: »
    Ran my 1k all dread list against a buddies 3 pred chaos list. Libby dread, 3 redemptors and a furioso had a pretty tough time against killshot every turn. Had a ton of fun with the tactical objectives though, so it was pretty solid, and he apologized after the game for killshot being as good as it was.

I'd say I need to run more anti tank, but I don't really have the points for it I think, and taking out the furioso for a lascannon and missile one just seems meh? Still probably couldn't kill a tank in one turn?

Killshot is one of the strongest strategems atm.

I did 19 wounds to a Knight with 1 pred in the tournament. Also killed Magnus with 2 preds in another round.

For 1 CP it's simply insane.

TraceofToxin on
    edited October 2017
    Crosspost from dakka.

Here's a quick recap of the tourney I was at this weekend with my BT. ITC rules, 2k points.

RyZut3E.jpg
    HQ
    Captain on bike, PF/SS
    Captain with JP, TH/SS
    LT Stormbolter

Troops
    Crusaders x5, Plas gun, Plas can, combi-plas
    -DT- Razorback, TLAC, SB, HKM
    Crusaders x5, Plas gun, Plas can, combi-plas
    Crusaders x5, Flamer, combi-flamer
    Scouts x5
    Scouts x5
    Scouts x5

Elite
    Company Vet x2, SBx2
    Company Vet x2. SBx2
    Company Vet x2, SBx2

Fast
    Tarantula, TLHB
    Tarantula, TLHB
    Tarantula, TLHB

Heavy
    Predator, AC/LC/HKM
    Predator, AC/LC/HKM
    Predator, AC/LC/HKM

Went 2-1, only loss was to the person who won the tournament.

First round vs Dark Angels
    Relic mission

Roughly;
    Knight
    Gravis captain
    10 sniper scouts
    10 tacs
    10 devs
    10 scouts
    7 deathwing terms
    1 JP captain

Went second, improperly screened my gunline and he missed his DS charge by 1". I lost a razorback, scouts and a tarantula to shooting. In return I picked up the knight and all the terminators+JP captain. From there it was me slowly grinding forward and wiping him out. Tabled him bottom of four or five.
    rG1oQBC.jpgYSzGjlb.jpg4TCmmsO.jpg

Round 2 vs Thousand Sons
    KP based on PL
    Z6T2BYY.jpg
    Roughly;
    Magnus
    Ahriman
    10 tzaangors
    8 1k sons with flamers
    5 1k sons
    2x sorcerers
    2x rhinos
    2x heldrakes
    1x maulerfiend

I deployed all my crusader squads, scouts and razorbacks as best as I could to screen my predators and make it difficult for him to consolidate into my gunline after his first turn charges inevitably wrecked my screen. I used BT stratagem to shut down Magnus invuln buff. He did exactly what I expected. I lost some squads and I think 2 razorbacks, but managed to keep 1 heldrake locked with scouts. My turn I killshot and took down Magnus and a heldrake. JP captain used his BT tactic to make a 8" charge into his locked heldrake and smash it down to half. From there on I adjusted my screen to stop the maulerfiend, and turn 3 or so I dropped vets out to start pounding the rubrics. Moving CM up to support my infantry, the extra 3" was clutch for rerolls on preds. He managed to get a rhino into my backfield but, again, I was able to keep 2 preds shooting almost all the way to the end. Game ended on bottom of 5 with just 3 tzaangors left on the field, hiding behind a building with my CM about to wipe them. Cost me a major victory, unfortunately.
    EiXtCjm.jpg9EhPYQS.jpgx9DG8dC.jpgSnzAsg0.jpgJumPMl6.jpgoQgr5pP.jpg

Third Round vs Chaos soup
    6 objectivess with 1x 4pt, 1x 1pt, and 4x 2pt

0XUxZ2R.jpg

Roughly
    Magnus
    3x Malefic lords
    changeling
    sorcerer
    3x10 horrors
    2x10 cultists
    1x40 cultists
    1x3 oblits
    kharbydiss
    2x9 berserkers
    1x dark apostle
    1x champ

Board had lots of large LOS blocking terrain. I actually got first turn but magnus was far corner (Vanguard deploy) so I couldn't reach with tanks. Used scouts to deny DS, killed most of 2 horror units, but not much. Changeling and some good saves on his part meant I did not much. He kept berserkers off, but brought in oblits. Used VOTLW and Slaanesh power to double tap one of my preds. I rolled amazingly and survived with 2 wounds. Shut down warptime on the cultists, since Magnus was still out of LOS, though in range. Lost most of my screening units to smite spam. In return I finished two horror squads, got a malefic lord and the oblits. His turn berserkers land, he makes 4/5 charges on 10+ and is just outside my pred flank. Shut down warptime again, since cultists were about 11" from my lines. My turn magnus is front and center, but can't afford to shoot him. Despite killshot, I barely manage to take out kharbydiss. I put two razorbacks, half a pred, all 6 vets, the chapter master into berserkers and kill 4. His saves were on fire. I picked up about 15~20 cultists. I charge berserkers, fail to do anything with first vet squad, he counter attacks and I fail 80% of my saves and lose every single vet. Dice have totally given up on me. I concede since I have no real chance of winning, and am too tired to try to drag another hour and a half into a possible minor loss. Even if the berserkers hand't been blessed by khorne himself, I probably would have lost still. Board had perfect LOS blocking coverage at distances that fit magnus movement and were just at smite range. In hindsight I could have used the auspex scan on a crusader squad vs the oblits, overcharged plasma may have picked one up. Alpha legion on a bunch of his stuff combined with changeling is really rough, even with rerolls. Having 3s just flat miss with no chance to reroll was extremely painful. If he had put berserkers down turn 2 on the far flank I intentionally left open, I may have had a chance. However, he played well, had a favorable matchup, had the 4 pt objective on his side, and the dice put an exclamation point on the match. I think I lose that one 80% of the time. Maybe if it had been 12" deployment with me having first turn I could've dumpstered Magnus out the gate and had a good shot, but, no such luck.

Interesting to think about, an UM player using Guilleman, 3 preds, a fire raptor and a terminus ultra got wiped out by the same list in half the time. I think having the 6 infantry squads as screens and the large number of units in general is very useful, despite giving up the +1 to go first.
    SIa0MA1.jpgCOzvi8r.jpgHWKgSLd.jpgoGz2bbe.jpgKdgSeOT.jpg

Overall I think this list is very strong. The only army I wasn't confident I could beat was the one I lost to, and the overall winner. Every unit performed as expected. I could see getting to the upper tables at a larger GT, but the list has a massive weakness to smite spam. Hordes could be a problem, depending on the army and what else is with the horde. The strongest things in the list were absolutely the bike chapter master and the preds. I would upgrade chapter master to thunder hammer, and maybe drop bike for JP. The mobility was a factor in every game, and the larger base helps with aura size. Company vets put out lots of dice and ate a 3 damage smite for him as well. The only thing I wished I had more of was scouts, though idk how I'd fit them. The crusaders were used to screen in 2 games, though when they actually got to shoot they were doing good damage. I was considering going heavier on the tarantulas, as enemies who charge them but dont wipe them can still be shot, but have to fall back to move away. The BT helm and strat were pivotal in both of my wins, and key to me staying alive in my last fight. I rerolled something like 3 or 4 charges with the chapter tactic, as well. I used all of my CP in every match.

I ended up in 3rd, the person I beat in round 2 was 2nd place because he had 2 major victories. That stung a bit, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles, I suppose.

TraceofToxin on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    currently having a moment of "what the FUCK do I do when my opponent takes 8 Catachan Russes and 3 basilisks???"

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    My only solution to that lately is taking squads of Raptors and Warp Talons and multicharging every damn thing I can see. They won’t hurt them but they can’t fire if they’re always retreating. If the obligatory conscript bubble wrap is right against their hulls then Melta raptors can maul them pretty bad, if they spread the wrap out to keep deepstriking melta and double tap plasma away then jump over it and charge. Having -1 to hit stratagems is pretty useful because it makes their overwatch automatically miss.

If your army has no current stratagems or way to deep strike near their big backfield parking lots? Play the mission I guess. They aren’t going to move the russes, take a bunch of tough units and score points while not getting wiped. A big fortification in your backfield like a bastion with a small unit in it is good for keeping something alive on the field so they don’t auto win.

My only solution to that lately is taking squads of Raptors and Warp Talons and multicharging every damn thing I can see. They won’t hurt them but they can’t fire if they’re always retreating. If the obligatory conscript bubble wrap is right against their hulls then Melta raptors can maul them pretty bad, if they spread the wrap out to keep deepstriking melta and double tap plasma away then jump over it and charge. Having -1 to hit stratagems is pretty useful because it makes their overwatch automatically miss.

If your army has no current stratagems or way to deep strike near their big backfield parking lots? Play the mission I guess. They aren’t going to move the russes, take a bunch of tough units and score points while not getting wiped. A big fortification in your backfield like a bastion with a small unit in it is good for keeping something alive on the field so they don’t auto win.

Just watch out on OW. You can still be hit. OW cannot be modified and always hits on a six unless there is another rule to overwrite that like guard have a thing that lets them hit on a 5+.

It is getting really hard for me not to play just pure Alpha Legion especially if guard are in numbers. A list full of Russ and Basilisk are scary but they are way less scary hitting on a 5+ verse all my infantry and helbrutes. Ork shooting isn't that huge a deal and since they do want to stay away from me I should have a few turns using the Alpha Legion -1 to hit.

Also it gives me the infiltration ability which gives a lot of ability to pop in where I want on that first turn and get some shooting off.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Thanks for the heads up on the overwatch thing. Checking the book and yeah, my community has been playing it totally wrong. It seems like one of those things where one guy uses a rule wrong in a game, and then his opponent spreads that wrong ruling around until it’s accepted as the real rule by everyone unknowingly.

Instead of Alpha Legion, I kinda want to run Iron Warriors. Decimators, Defilers and Forgefiends in cover with the Changeling are getting their -1 to hit, but also ignoring the cover saves of all those dug in russes. It would also give me an excuse to kitbash an Iron Warriors Lord merged with his bike for the fleshmetal exoskeleton and unholy fortitude. 7 wound 2+ save regenerating heavy metal album cover!

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    How do you even dig in 11 tanks with the current cover rules?

honovere wrote: »
    How do you even dig in 11 tanks with the current cover rules?

This would be super difficult. Needs to be on or with in cover and 50% obscure.

u7stthr17eud.png
    I don't think you even need to with that many high toughness wounds.

@Voro The new Plague Marine kit has 3 biotic axes in it, I know you were looking for more for your Blightlords

My thing with russes are killing them is nice but if you have a bunch cripple them. Get them down to 3-4 wounds and they can't hit the broadside of a barn anyway.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    My thing with russes are killing them is nice but if you have a bunch cripple them. Get them down to 3-4 wounds and they can't hit the broadside of a barn anyway.

Unless they're Valhallan and double their number of wounds when checking for characteristics.

honovere wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Unless they're Valhallan and double their number of wounds when checking for characteristics.

Then it is worth spending the shots to kill them if I can. Comes down to allocating resources basically. I would prefer them dead. But I will take them at 5-6+ BS and like no movement.

u7stthr17eud.png
    The problem with 11 tanks is that one horde mob getting into combat will start locking them down en masse. You absolutely need to have screening units. Luckily for guard (and unluckily for us) they have conscripts... so... fuck.

I could see an errata if the conscripts become too abusive.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

I'm becoming increasingly convinced that a lot of the Guard Codex is going to be FAQed.

So the Primaris aren't really worth it?

Can Space Wolves run a decent vehicle list? I always kind of wanted to do one even if it isn't good. Predators, Whirlwinds, Indicators, and dreadnaughts. Some speeders too. I also want to do an 8 drop pod list at some point.

Can I use a Tech Marine servitor as a Iron Wolf?

So the Primaris aren't really worth it?

Can Space Wolves run a decent vehicle list? I always kind of wanted to do one even if it isn't good. Predators, Whirlwinds, Indicators, and dreadnaughts. Some speeders too. I also want to do an 8 drop pod list at some point.

Can I use a Tech Marine servitor as a Iron Wolf?

I like Primaris, even Intercessors. YMMV

• VoroVoro Registered User regular
    @Voro The new Plague Marine kit has 3 biotic axes in it, I know you were looking for more for your Blightlords

Thanks! I'm definitely picking one up, but I've made a test mold of one of the terminator's axes along with the shoulder for a sword arm. Going to attempt to sculpt the tentacle replacement this weekend and see how it looks.

XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
This discussion has been closed.