As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] The FAQ has arrived

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I'm not really sure why they put rules in for conscripts in the first place, it's not like there's really a proper kit for them or anything, unless there's some legacy models I'm forgetting about, and AM seem to have cheap infantry already pretty well handled without a cheaper, dirtier alternative.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    I'm not really sure why they put rules in for conscripts in the first place, it's not like there's really a proper kit for them or anything, unless there's some legacy models I'm forgetting about, and AM seem to have cheap infantry already pretty well handled without a cheaper, dirtier alternative.

Can you ever get cheaper and/or dirtier enough though?

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Could it be? could they make the spures of the imperial guard work with each other?

Genestealer cult, Skitarii, Storm troopers and Cadians already do supposedly

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    The conscript models are the same as the rest of the army because they use the same wargear, they're just bad at it. As for why they’re there, it’s the same reason as the old penal legion entries; to try to represent the innumerable ways the Guard fight. This regiment system should redirect some of those efforts though, which is probably a good thing.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Those converted Guard regiments are nice but they're going to get expensive. The indigans for example use parts from skitarii, guard, and genestealer cult kits.

• frayfray Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    honovere wrote: »
    fray wrote: »
    So rules question related to the new ad mech stratagems. You can only use each stratagem once per phase, right, so does deployment count as a phase? IE with the strats that are used during deployment to let you deep strike stuff, can you effectively only use them once?

The rulebook has a text about the stratagems before the game not being limited. Some Space Marine stratagems have especially been FAQed to be limited because of that I think.

Edit: Next week preview has the Imperial guard with rules for 8 regiments including stormtroopers, and some pretty nurgle characters.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/09/24/daemon-engines-a-battlefield-in-a-box-and-a-new-codex/

Ah, I must have missed that in the rulebook, thanks. So sounds like it's safe to assume they're only limited by command points unless it says otherwise in the codex or FAQ.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I'm not really sure why they put rules in for conscripts in the first place
    Because handing someone a flak jacket, a lasgun, and throwing them straight into the meat grinder is one of the thing that the IG do when they need to.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    I'm not really sure why they put rules in for conscripts in the first place
    Because handing someone a flak jacket, a lasgun, and throwing them straight into the meat grinder is one of the thing that the IG do when they need to.

I don't know, sounds like that might be a waste of a perfectly good flak jacket.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    So got in my first 2k point game in like a month because I keep playing with new players and stuff to help them learn. My whole army is marked by slaanesh btw

My list from my memory:

CSM (Alpha Legion/Emperor's Children)
    Battalion (EC)
    HQ
    1-Daemon Prince w/ Wings-Claws+elixir+Diabolic Strength (+1 wound/6+++ warlord trait)
    1-Sorc with prescience+FNP Slaanesh

Troops
    18x Cultist w/ Autoguns
    6x Noise Marines (5 blasters+1 blastmaster)
    6x Noise Marines (5 blasters+1 blastmaster)

Vanguard (Alpha Legion)
    HQ
    1x Sorc with Jet Pack

Elites:
    5x Termis with combi-plasma
    5x Chosen (4 plasma+combi-bolter)
    1x Helbrute (Multi-melta+fist)

Spearhead (Alpha Legion)
    HQ
    1x Lord w/chainaxe+plasma pistol

Heavy Support
    1x Defiler w/Reaper+Havoc Launcher)
    1x Vindicator
    6x Havocs (1 ML, 1Las, 2x HB, 2xbolters)

Flyers
    1xHeldrake

My opponent who is a cool dude and the lore master of our upcoming campaign. He normally plays BTs but was trying his first inquisition army (GK+Temptus Psions)

Battalion 1
    HQ
    GM Draigo
    GM in a Baby Carrier Knight

Troops:
    5x Strike Squad (1x Daemonhammer rest swords)

HS:
    1x Dreadknight-psilancers gattling cannon

Battalion 2
    HQ
    Tempestsus Prime
    Tempetsus Command Squad (I think)

Troops:
    Psion Squad
    Psion Squad
    Psion Squad

4x Taurox with gatling guns the heavy fire things

I actually went first which I wasn't really planning on doing. I infiltrated my chosen in behind the normal knight as it was the most dangerous thing on the board. I overcharged the plasma and rolled two ones, ouch. And then only of my 5 hits get three wounds and he made 2 saves. Not a great start. My dice stayed cold all game.

Did no damage to anything outside punching a Taurox I charged with my remaining 3 chosen.

His turn 1 wiped a noise squad and my havocs between smites, shooting and chargeing them with Draigo. But at the same time my music of the apocalypse wiped a smite squad.

My next turn and did nothing. I dropped my termis+jp sorc in a perfect position to wipe out his GM in the suit. I cast warptime, get a psychic test of a 3. Okay that sucks but a charge isn't the best thing. I cast prescience and get a 3 again. Cold dice.

Fine no overcharge on shooting round 1 then. I didn't roll a single 1 to hit *sigh*. I end up killing nothing with this 340 point bomb. Such bad rolls.

Only good thing as my DP failed his charge and but my defiler didn't on Draigo.

I slaughter him. It was amazing. My 2 wounds left defiler was a beast.

But I lost to some of the worst dice in ages which to me is the most frustrating loss. A loss to me playing poorly is a learning experience. Losses due to list building on either side, again learning. A loss/win to super cold ass dice? That feels like the universe has decided to cheat you.

Edit: There were pictures!

Deployment- You can see my newly acquired cultist bubble wrapping up front.
    rQnvJUJ.jpg

Turn 1 before the deepstrikes after I had moved.

du2rHns.jpg

The knights have arrived:
    huC07Go.jpg

The last sight of my poor termis:

5vVVQMY.jpg

A soon to be dead GK Dreadknight, my nickname for my DP nos is the Blender
    vBtywI5.jpg

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    I'm looking forward to being able to have different rules for my light and heavy infantry again.

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I stumbled upon the secret Facebook page everyone in my area had been using to find matches and got some 40k in finally. Unsurprisingly, my small model count Night Lords army that needed specific deployment and careful choice of targets did quite badly through my 1-2 combo of inexperience with the army and having sentient, malevolent dice. At least it looked pretty while getting blown up.

Didn’t help I was playing a pretty mean Guard list. It rained men, except there were no hallelujahs. Only plasma. I learned a lot though and should make at least 50% fewer terrible mistakes next time!

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    My newly painted Ironclad Dreadnought, Viribus.

lTltmMW.jpg
    DMrOtVY.jpg
    eB68Fn1.jpg
    ji5cvQY.jpg

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Jesus, some of y'all play with fairly little terrain

I think that’s mostly a scarcity issue. Stores have a limited amount of terrain, and with multiple tables whoeve gets there first grabs all the best stuff. Then everyone else is stuck with the broken trees and green foam hills.

• Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    I played a 2v2 Sabotage mission this weekend. It was IG and Salamanders (me) vs 1,000 Sons and Deathguard. Super fun and different; I think each of us had read a part of the rules wrong before playing though. The alarm went off when 10 cultists charged and failed to wound a single Tactical Marine. The defenders would have tabled the attackers in another round but when it was obvious what was going to happen we called it early because we had a D&D game that afternoon.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Jesus, some of y'all play with fairly little terrain

I have feeling this was from my pics? The table I was on was actually all of my opponents terrain but it was about the level of NOVA or another major tourney. There were lots of LoS blockers in there, in fact in original deployments I couldn't really shoot stuff and he couldn't hit anything till he moved/deep struck on me. Also we counted in the buildings as in cover so pretty much all my stuff started in cover too.

The table in back is a bad angle they had enough. This event actually was at the local community center not our normal store, they had magic and once a month we rent out the community center for a nice place to play. But we tend to try to do at least to match NOVA on our terrain since a lot of us either help set up NOVA and most play at NOVA.

IMG_8465.jpg

Its two big LOS blockers in the middle if we have it with equal terrain in all quadrants so you get a lot of cover but you get some interesting maneuvers.

I sadly don't own terrain yet. My current plan is finish the chaos army (2 mauler fiends, 1 more box of termis, 1 set of possessed, and I am getting one more set of the Dark Vengeance units in a couple of weeks). Then to get a mat+terrain so I can do a decent layout.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Ken O wrote: »
    The alarm went off when 10 cultists charged and failed to wound a single Tactical Marine.

This doesn't seem entirely out of the realm of possibility, unless cultists are much better in combat than I'm expecting them to be?

Burnage wrote: »
    Ken O wrote: »
    The alarm went off when 10 cultists charged and failed to wound a single Tactical Marine.

This doesn't seem entirely out of the realm of possibility, unless cultists are much better in combat than I'm expecting them to be?

They aren't terrible. If they have the melee set up (pistol+crow bar) they are 2 attacks that hit on 4+ and wound on 5+. So that would be 21 attacks (3 from the leader). So you should get at least 1.14 wounds in there.

I mean that isn't wonderful but ehh they are 4 point models.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Seems like there's a new hobby store in town. Judging from pictures it's by far the largest store here and actually has a bunch of different tables including stuff like zone mortalis, which could be really nice with new Necromunda later this year.

The thing about it is that they have some kind of membership thing going on? Like reserving a table costs a buck fifty and you can play outside of normal opening times, like on sundays for another 1.50-3.50€ unless you pay for membership which ranges from about 12 to 48€/month for stuff like tables in the membership area and free table space and cheaper drinks etc.

Is that a common thing elsewhere?

I’m fine with the idea of paying a buck and change for a table, and wish more stores did it. They need to keep the lights on, and 1-2 bucks for hours of entertainment is a damn good deal considering you’re essentially renting out an area to game in.

Especially with gamers switching to online stores for their purchases and then spending all day sucking up air in the store without buying anything, brick and mortar places need some way to keep the place open. And it’s a hell of a lot better than pushing all the tabletop stuff into a dark corner and bringing in the magic players.

Badablack wrote: »
    I’m fine with the idea of paying a buck and change for a table, and wish more stores did it. They need to keep the lights on, and 1-2 bucks for hours of entertainment is a damn good deal considering you’re essentially renting out an area to game in.

Especially with gamers switching to online stores for their purchases and then spending all day sucking up air in the store without buying anything, brick and mortar places need some way to keep the place open. And it’s a hell of a lot better than pushing all the tabletop stuff into a dark corner and bringing in the magic players.

There is an understanding with our store that magic subsidizes the plastic crack side of things. But it is also a huge comic store and rpg store and even has SW:X-Wing and SW:Armada and ST:Attack Wing games weekly. So it can get crowded.

u7stthr17eud.png
    edited September 2017
    Thinking about it I'd be find with paying 5 bucks to have a convient space to play on a Sunday. For me regular store opening times are one of the biggest hindrances to actually playing. Now I just have to find players (and get the move to the new flat done...)

honovere on
    I was spoiled at my old gaming place. It was run by a grumpy old guy who slept in a room above the store and just drank and read comics all day. It was open practically 24/7, had barely anything for sale, but had a ton of tables and terrain.

Looking back, I’m pretty sure it was a front for some sort of organized crime.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure that the store I play at is the same way (Magic basically subsidizes Warhammer and D&D). They recently got rid of their sliding discounts on Warhammer stuff though, whereas the other shop in town (a one man/one room operation inside of another business) still has one so I tend to make my bigger purchases at the smaller shop instead. I try to make my smaller purchases from the larger store though.

Honestly if the larger shop where everyone plays started doing a sort of monthly buy in for table time I'd be ok with kicking in $5 or $10 a month to keep the lights on. We already get most of the benefits of a gaming club so it would basically be like paying dues.

Basically how my club works with this is:

1 Friday we rent out space at a Tae Kwon Do gym and it is about $10 bucks if you play that night.

1 Sunday we rent out for 4 hours a big room at the community center. $10 bucks if you play that day.

Rest of the month usually from 6-9 the backroom at the store is scheduled for us just usually we try to promote folks grabbing some small stuff like at least some new paint or magnets from the store so we are considered a plus.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    My local store charges £3.60 to use the tables but it's a daily rate thing so you can play as many games as you want on that. You can also but yearly or quarterly passes (a quarterly is around £20). The stores open seven days a week and until 11 on three of those so plenty of time to play. There's also a ton of space, the store has something like 50+ tables.

I am aware I am very spoilt in my local venue. There is also a bar and hot food available.

50+ tables sounds insane to me. Here you're lucky if there are more than two, so that new store that looks like it has maybe 8 or 10 is already a huge improvement, even if most of the tables seem a bit light on terrain.

So that tank thing? That is pretty damn good.

u7stthr17eud.png
    edited September 2017
    Mazzyx wrote: »

If you reroll 1s on a d3 and 1s and 2s on a d6 it's an increase of 15-20% on average I think. That's already pretty nice and really helps to smooth out bad rolling.

Strength 6 Ogryns and even more strength 8 Bullgryns are also not bad.

honovere on
    For real. Blast weapons in general seem a little eh, at least that's how I feel looking at the Defiler. I'm starting to think of it more as a Drednought that just so happens to have a Battlecannon.

For real. Blast weapons in general seem a little eh, at least that's how I feel looking at the Defiler. I'm starting to think of it more as a Drednought that just so happens to have a Battlecannon.

Yeah my last game it killed Voldus not Draigo I had the name wrong.

But at this point I think of it like DoW1 Defiler. Rambling forward firing its battle cannon, reaper, and havoc launcher (its an old old kit) while it sprints as fast as it can at the enemy. Sometimes it even hits them!

u7stthr17eud.png
    It's a bit funny though that they try to sell the Deathstrike a the most Catachan tank. An intercontinental missile is not exactly what I think of when I imagine an army of Rambo ripp offs.

• LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    I guess an ICBM fits the general 80s theme that Rambo rip offs have going or them, though?

It's a bit funny though that they try to sell the Deathstrike a the most Catachan tank. An intercontinental missile is not exactly what I think of when I imagine an army of Rambo ripp offs.

I would say it is more like a scud so a short to intermediate range missile. Which works with Rambos when you think about it.

u7stthr17eud.png

But at this point I think of it like DoW1 Defiler. Rambling forward firing its battle cannon, reaper, and havoc launcher (its an old old kit) while it sprints as fast as it can at the enemy. Sometimes it even hits them!

It's shooting works great in conjunction with the two vehicle strategems. One reroll hits and wounds for one pgase, and the other negates the move and shoot penalty. I would use the rerolls strat for the first turn, and then the move and shoot when the enemy closes so you can charge them.

A Defiler is no slouch when you consider 14 wounds, a 5+ invuln, and the wound regen.

It's shooting works great in conjunction with the two vehicle strategems. One reroll hits and wounds for one pgase, and the other negates the move and shoot penalty. I would use the rerolls strat for the first turn, and then the move and shoot when the enemy closes so you can charge them.

A Defiler is no slouch when you consider 14 wounds, a 5+ invuln, and the wound regen.

I like all the daemon forge vehicles this edition.

Defilers are useful and multipurpose and still look awesome.

Maulerfiends are all about the rip and tear and unless they eat concentrated fire will get into combat. They make good distraction carnifexes too.

Forgefiends with the reroll stratagem or a lord near by are pretty damn in my head in theory.

Heldrakes are good but they are a different beast then the drake of old. Still good at killing light fliers but best at ripping up or tying up enemy units on the first turn with the flamer always being useful.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017

If you reroll 1s on a d3 and 1s and 2s on a d6 it's an increase of 15-20% on average I think. That's already pretty nice and really helps to smooth out bad rolling.

Do Ogryns/Ratlings/psykers have the regimental keyword? I thought they were always auxiliaries (which will probobly have the "you still get the regimental bonus even if you take auxiliaries in your detachment" wording). There are no Ogryns from Catacha.

The trait seems good, but sort of a weird grab bag. Not sure why they of all regiments get better blast weapons? Seems like they're leaning into "ork guard" more than "sneaky rambos". Of all the reguments to give the stock ravenguard/alphalegion/stygies trait to, these guys were the most obvious.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
    McGibs wrote: »
    The BS4 of forgefiends always put me off.

Do Ogryns/Ratlings/psykers have the regimental keyword? I thought they were always auxiliaries (which will probobly have the "you still get the regimental bonus even if you take auxiliaries in your detachment" wording). There are no Ogryns from Catacha.

The trait seems good, but sort of a weird grab bag. Not sure why they of all regiments get better blast weapons? Seems like they're leaning into "ork guard" more than "sneaky rambos". Of all the reguments to give the stock ravenguard/alphalegion/stygies trait to, these guys were the most obvious.

Yeah, the tank part is confusing. I guess we'll see more catachan tank and artillery companies from now on. Would've made more sense if it was army wide for flame weapons instead.

My bet would be Tallarn for raven guard if any regiment gets that trait.

This discussion has been closed.