As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

FIGHT NIGHT THREAD

123457»

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Larlar
    Peen wrote: »
    I think people vastly, vastly underestimate how much different a professional athlete's skill set is compared to a normal person because they only see them on TV in context with their peers. This isn't a 1:1 comparison but there was a guy I played flag football with in college (he was in a grad program) who'd gotten drafted by an NFL team and spent time in NFL Europe developing before he got hurt and quit football; he looked like a normal guy, seemed like he was doing the same stuff we were a the same speed, only he was twice as fast and effortlessly threw the ball twice as far as any of the rest of us, and that's being generous to us.

You couldn't pay me any amount of money to step into a ring with any professional fighter, of any gender or weight class.

No I'm just very poor

If I survive, I would have enough money to pay off my student loans

If I don't, the loans aren't my problem any more

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Larlar
    If you were offered a million dollars to do a highly televised fight against a celebrity you hated, but you only got paid if you lost, would you do it, or would you dupe them by taking the deal and then beating the tar out of the fucker you're supposed to lose to?

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Larlar
    No amount of money would get me in the ring with any semi-decent professional heavyweight boxer for a real fight.

There’s just too good of a chance I get permanently fucked up.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Also reading this thread; it is astounding to me that anybody who has ever watched Mike Tyson fight would want to get in a ring with him for any amount of money unless you are also like, an incredibly good professional boxer

That man liked hurting people. He enjoyed doing what he did to them.

I think I said mid six figures

my number has probably gone up quite a bit but I'd still do it because lol how else am I ever going to be financially secure than letting mike tyson try to kill me with blunt trauma

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Larlar
    No amount of money would get me in the ring with any semi-decent professional heavyweight boxer for a real fight.

There’s just too good of a chance I get permanently fucked up.

But what about fighting Rudy Giuliani?

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Tube wrote: »
    Yeah I wouldn't get in a ring with Mike Tyson, he'd kill me. I'd get in a room with like, Lennox Lewis, because he'd just bop me on the head and I'd pass out and BOOM cash my check.

He'd KO you and catch you as you fell, and gently lie you on a sofa for when you wake up, like the most reasonable and constrained bump on the noggin you could ever receive

Solar on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Also reading this thread; it is astounding to me that anybody who has ever watched Mike Tyson fight would want to get in a ring with him for any amount of money unless you are also like, an incredibly good professional boxer

That man liked hurting people. He enjoyed doing what he did to them.

If you watch interviews with him, he has SIGNIFICANTLY mellowed out and calmed down with age. He's even said he just doesn't have that anger in him anymore.
    Obviously he's still got incredible technique, the speed of a fighter half his size, and can punch his way through plate steel, so nobody should ever agree to fight him competitively ever again, but that exhibition match was fairly decent, at least in the highlights of it I saw?

Yeah I guess now he is old

But I mean like, at the time when anecdotally people were offered cash to get in the ring with him

You know, when he was a drug-fuelled bipolar maniac who left people with life-long injuries and enjoyed it

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Larlar
    I think people vastly, vastly underestimate how much different a professional athlete's skill set is compared to a normal person because they only see them on TV in context with their peers. This isn't a 1:1 comparison but there was a guy I played flag football with in college (he was in a grad program) who'd gotten drafted by an NFL team and spent time in NFL Europe developing before he got hurt and quit football; he looked like a normal guy, seemed like he was doing the same stuff we were a the same speed, only he was twice as fast and effortlessly threw the ball twice as far as any of the rest of us, and that's being generous to us.

You couldn't pay me any amount of money to step into a ring with any professional fighter, of any gender or weight class.

https://youtu.be/f8tYqT9GDd8

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Larlar
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    If you were offered a million dollars to do a highly televised fight against a celebrity you hated, but you only got paid if you lost, would you do it, or would you dupe them by taking the deal and then beating the tar out of the fucker you're supposed to lose to?

Does being disqualified count as losing?

Because in that case what you're asking is, would I take a million dollars to punch Donald Trump in the balls

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Tyson was actually very respectful and cared for the safety of his opponents....mostly, of course

This whole thing got me curious and I watched a montage of all his fights and in his first championship run, he ALWAYS immediately went to his KOd opponent as soon as the fight was called to help him up, encourage him, and get him to his corner for attention. Every single KO.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

I have no doubt that football players are way, way faster than you'd expect for their size. That said, I'm not sure "dude who gets winded enough to slow down less than 40 yards into a sprint" is the best yardstick for "average dude"

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Larlar
    Mike Tyson is an extremely interesting person to read about.

If you get a chance read about his upbringing, his relationship with Cus D’Amato and what happened after Cus died.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Larlar
    milski wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »

I have no doubt that football players are way, way faster than you'd expect for their size. That said, I'm not sure "dude who gets winded enough to slow down less than 40 yards into a sprint" is the best yardstick for "average dude"

The average American is 17 pounds overweight and excercises for 17 minutes every day.

So the other average guy, not the commentator but his colleague, the "A2" is about what average would be - 0:57 seconds in.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/07/tom-corley-heres-what-average-looks-like-in-america.html

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Larlar
    You can beat the average American in a fight by circling around and waiting for them to get tired.

Also
    https://youtu.be/fe3na9umxDA

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig