As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[ARK: Survival Evolved] All hail the gunasaurus

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I want to shoot for Pirate Cave personally. It's a good spot to built a multi-person village, not too distant from multiple resources, perfect if you have a tribe that splits its time between land and sea and I just really like it there. I won't be able to get on until possibly Friday afternoon though, so I can only hope no ones takes it.

Cave Under the Lighthouse is nice though, its where I keep my water tames on the primitive server I was playing on. But it would be a bitch and a half to get any land tames in there without a lot of building, so it's not even my second choice of building spot.

If worst coves to worst, I'm pretty sure no one would want to take my second choice: ass end of the pitch black swamp cave. But if that happens the tribe is getting named something Lovecraftian.

Also thinking up other Grayjoy synonyms. Smokeglee, Slategay, Silverbliss. Gunmetal Delight. Charcoal Rapture.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »
    I want to shoot for Pirate Cave personally. It's a good spot to built a multi-person village, not too distant from multiple resources, perfect if you have a tribe that splits its time between land and sea and I just really like it there. I won't be able to get on until possibly Friday afternoon though, so I can only hope no ones takes it.

Cave Under the Lighthouse is nice though, its where I keep my water tames on the primitive server I was playing on. But it would be a bitch and a half to get any land tames in there without a lot of building, so it's not even my second choice of building spot.

If worst coves to worst, I'm pretty sure no one would want to take my second choice: ass end of the pitch black swamp cave. But if that happens the tribe is getting named something Lovecraftian.

Also thinking up other Grayjoy synonyms. Smokeglee, Slategay, Silverbliss. Gunmetal Delight. Charcoal Rapture.

One thing that is cool about ragnarok though, is you know all the basalt columns in the water and the stalactites and stalagmites in the caves? Platforms work on them. Which I think is cool as hell just in general.
    But again, I'm more interested in being part of a mega tribe, not solo play, so I'll join the masses if they'll have me.

• Options
    Wait wait wait... I knew the platforms worked on the basalt columns, but they work on the stalagmites in caves too?

Fuck I need to do some testing. A village built on platforms on the stalagmite in the swamp cave would be COOL AS SHIT.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Wait wait wait... I knew the platforms worked on the basalt columns, but they work on the stalagmites in caves too?

Fuck I need to do some testing. A village built on platforms on the stalagmite in the swamp cave would be COOL AS SHIT.

Some of them. They usually have some rope netting around them to indicate it.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Some of them. They usually have some rope netting around them to indicate it.

That's what testing in single-player is for!

Though if I do end up building in the cave, I'll start begging for Eco In Wonderland to be on the mod list, for all the mushrooms.

• Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    Yeah I can't look now because I'm at work for a little while yet, but on the server where I met with disaster with the giga, another tribe had set up their wyvern hatching operation on platforms in the cave under the lighthouse.

• Options
    Yeah I can't look now because I'm at work for a little while yet, but on the server where I met with disaster with the giga, another tribe had set up their wyvern hatching operation on platforms in the cave under the lighthouse.

Yeah it would be good for someone mostly ocean focused, or flyer focused.

• Options
    yeah I know they work on the lighthouse cave pillars, its other cave stalagmites that I need to test.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    BTW I still have a Discord channel up.

https://discord.gg/jrUGGvM

I'm in there today while I am at work.

-edit-

We're discussing what should go in supply drops. Feel free to drop in with thoughts on that.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    Ooooh, Ashenmirth. That works for both Pirate Cove tribe and for an ass end of pitch black cave tribe.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Shit, if there's a water tribe I am all-in on that. As long as people like waking up and finding new tamed fish in the lagoon all the goddamn time.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    BTW I still have a Discord channel up.

https://discord.gg/jrUGGvM

I'm in there today while I am at work.

-edit-

We're discussing what should go in supply drops. Feel free to drop in with thoughts on that.

I've played with a lot of stuff on this, and it's hard to find that balance between not enough to be worth it and so much to make chasing beacons the main activity in the game.

General thoughts:

I could do without resources, unless it's maybe rare stuff you can only get by clearing a large area and throwing away tons of stuff you don't want. Even mods I've tried that make resource beacons give tons of stuff, I usually feel like I could have just been clearcutting the forest I just ran through instead. I think, espeically at lower levels, tools/weapons/armor should be a bit better than what you can just make at comparable level. A green beacon with a full set of stone tools won't really do shit for me when I'd made them all within my first ten minutes, but a metal sickle could revolutionize my life at that level.

Hevach on
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    This game looks much nicer on my 1060... I'm looking forward to tomorrow!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    . . . The Phoenix shits pearls.

Tangentially, I want a Phoenix now.

Edit: Also, the SE weather is needed to tame it, so that might be why it's not going to be in Ragnarok, since from what I've seen, weather effects are map-wide.

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    BeornKBeornK Registered User regular
    heat wave in murder snow, its only -40 now! ;)
    -yeah I know that's not how it works...

DS0mQJS.png
  • Options
    Yeah I was playing around last night, you can't even spawn one with commands without a heatwave.

I'm mulling over some options.

• Options
    after testing, while some stalagtites can hold platforms, not enough or near enough together to make a fully elevated base. So Ass end of the pitch black swamp cave remains the second choice location.

Maybe last, because for some reason all the dinos I leave in that cave die mysterious deaths. The log says they have been killed, but it doesn't say by what.

• Options
    Server is live.

Easiest way to access it is to open up Steam, then go to View > Servers. Then add 173.234.25.138:27060 as a server. That should place it in your favorites in-game.

The password is the Penny Arcade usual. PM me or hit me up via Steam chat if you don't know what that is.

Here's the current map of accessible areas.
    U6MNLQx.png?1

The red dot in the NW is the rough location of the Marketplace.

Some housekeeping:

-We've got a lot of mods this time, it slows down restarts and launching. Seriously it takes a while to reboot the server now. I am worried this will impact players. Please let me know if this gets severe for anyone. I can trim back a couple of the cosmetic mods to try and speed things up.

-I've edited supply drops up through Red+ (the ones with the ring around them). Please let me know how the drops feel now, this is a first effort. They should be a LOT more useful now. Cave/Ocean drops are unedited right now, I will be working on those over the next week or so.

-The market is in a very rough state, but should be mostly functional.

-Let me know how dino populations are. If anything is overspawning, etc...

-Reminder we don't know exactly when the map will be finished, I'd be careful about building too close to the force field wall until then.

-Reminder that the first weekend event is already live, increasing tame speed even further than normal until Monday.

• Options
    I will most assuredly be busy all of Saturday, and I'm not sure about Sunday. I can see if I can hit up some time tomorrow during the day, but I'll primarily want to link up, either with Budd or, barring that, with other folks.

Also, between now and the end of October/November, I might be scarcer because we need to move, and may be packing and moving (possibly even into a house) in a hurry. That said, I am down for also trying to plan around our scheduled tasks in order to get some dino fun in. All work and no play makes Kal somethingsomething . . .

• Options
    I'm passing out now, expect a reboot sometime in the morning, to fix some settings that didn't get saved right. (including the weekend taming boost)

• Options
    Budd, the last thing I saw last night was the market Griffin killing an argent. It was still hovering midair when I signed out.

I've created a little outpost/starting area of sorts right near the market area, because the gate was locked when I got there. I eventually found a way to hop up into the area, but I'll probably keep and lightly fortify that basic area sometime tomorrow, then proceed to enter the cliffside area right above my demi-base and log out until . . . whenever I get to log back in.

• Options
    I'll try to get on this afternoon, form the Ashenmirth tribe, and claim a base (please Pirate Cave no be claimed yet.)

I'm probably going to make some rules for the tribe, such as no egg farm, because I don't want to have to feed a legion of dinos that do nothing but sit there. Which means I am eagerly looking forward to the market! With a seafaring tribe that means we will be swimming (literally and figuratively) in things like pearls, oil, and biotoxin that we can trade for eggs and kibble.

But if anyone wants to join let me know, and we can conquer the depths of the ocean.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I've set the server to favorites and I'm currently downloading the mods. (For some reason, I always forget how the server thing works with Ark...) Are we using BattleEye at all? If not, I don't see a reason to download it.

I'm excited to play with you guys. Last time I played, I had built a few aviaries, greenhouse and egg farms... and a bitchin' treehouse. Because you know, treehouse. I like to build things, and have a small army of dinos following me around to explore and gather resources. The little spitty guys are pretty hilarious to have around in big packs.

I don't usually go in for the modern or advanced tech, just because it's so much upkeep. I don't mind delving into that if everyone wants to, though. Are we doing one big tribe or several small ones? Just curious.

Thanks for hosting Muddbludd. I had a friend host last time so I got an earfull from time to time about how much of a hassle it can be. So seriously- thank you.

[edit] Mods are downloaded. Takes a while to connect though, because it says "loading mods" and that takes a while. I'm thinking I'm getting timeout disconnected on account of that. Is there a better way to load those mods? Preload them somehow? It could just be the first time though. Second time I got up to the char creation screen, but work calls!

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    BitTWistBitTWist Kitsap CountyRegistered User regular
    Got my little base started last night in the location I wanted, but I may have to move to a new place. There are just no dinos around. I saw one flyer, and that was it. I usually try to get a Trike and a pig fairly early, but none where to be found. Will scout a little farther around this weekend, and see what I can find.

3DS:2552-1222-3225 / PSN:BitTwist
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Re: Kalnaur - TY, I will get those unlocked. The Griffon was just so I could get around quickly while setting things up, I'm probably going to delete it once I am confident things are working right.

Re: Egg Farms - The market will sell a couple types of eggs, but not a lot. Your best bet will be to find the market stall of another player who DOES egg farm.

Re: Mods - Faster way is to go to the OP and subscribe to them one by one. At least then they are all downloaded when you launch and should avoid the timeouts. Maybe I can collect them into some sort of custom bundle or something.

Server is rebooting now, this should fix a few things that didn't take last night when I made my last changes.

Reminder, there is an official patch scheduled for today, so it's highly likely I'll need to update the server over the weekend.

-edit-

Yes, this restored my settings for the market stalls, should have fixed the taming bonus as well.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    So there IS a way to do that.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1130587008

This is a collection of all the mods the server uses. You can subscribe to everything with one click here.

• Options
    Probably going to trim a few mods with the next reboot when they update the game.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I can't believe you guys tempted me to play online with you, but here I am connecting to the server. I'm sure to get bored and stop playing within a week or 2, but maybe in the meantime I can help out with something.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    As people begin exploring, take this tale into account.

https://www.reddit.com/r/playark/comments/6yu0t0/the_tale_of_bloodwing_and_the_murder_murder_snow/

Murder Snow is no joke. Don't even fly over it without insane thermal protection.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Yeah, I've experienced the same thing, and almost died several times trying to get my bird back. Even flying at full speed on a ptera over the Murder Snow has a very good chance of killing you. Unless you have thermal protection of 400+, do not enter the Murder Snow.

400+ protection will not prevent you from freezing in the Murder Snow, it will just slow down the rate enough that you to be able to travel through it and survive.

Do not fuck with Murder Snow.

Decomposey on
  • Options
    On a related note, the thermal protection you get from otters is based on their attack stat.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    On a related note, the thermal protection you get from otters is based on their attack stat.

That sure is a sentence.

• Options

Well yeah, having one fights cold. Duh.

• Options
    Probably going to trim a few mods with the next reboot when they update the game.

So, then, I should wait to build anything huge and insane? Not that I have the time at all, but . . .

• Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »

So, then, I should wait to build anything huge and insane? Not that I have the time at all, but . . .

It'll probably be stuff like Eco's Tek decor, maybe the Scorched Earth one. Stuff we might not use right away.

• Options
    BeornKBeornK Registered User regular
    I'll be on for a bit tonight, maybe get a sh** shack up. Peeps need to hop into discord

DS0mQJS.png
  • Options
    What are peoples thoughts on default harvest rates? I think they adjusted them recently.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    What are peoples thoughts on default harvest rates? I think they adjusted them recently.

I think they're kinda low, personally, but I haven't played with them vanilla so I don't know how they compare. I spent a fair amount of my time today harvesting stuff without a whole lot to show for it.

• Options
    Heads up difficulty setting doesn't seem to be working. Researching a solution.

• Options
    Without dinos or metal tools (especially without improved tools) I remember the gathering being rather low before, and it felt about the same way last night. With just stone stuff to harvest with, it took me around 4 hours just to get some foundations, fences, a box, and a mortal & pestle going. I don't even have walls yet, and my only bed is a single bedroll.

This discussion has been closed.