As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[ARK: Survival Evolved] All hail the gunasaurus

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    When I get the chance, the Market will gain a workshop with every major crafting station up to level 30, including ones from the CKF mod. And possibly a little something extra. Because there is always the chance that you came through a dangerous area, or that you're hauling what you need to the market and just need to buy that one resource to make "the thing", and I want it to be as easy as possible for folks to get what they need.

There's also going to be a stable area going up in the large empty space where (as of last night) a tamed rex was hanging out with a scorp, I think from Phibbs and Co. The intent will be to have a trough there, as, at least I think all dinos can eat out of a trough no matter what. Also, to be covered when people drive a mount or a recent tame up, though I'll only make the height for the stables as high as a steg/carno; anything larger will have to wait outside. There may or may not also be a medium sized barn going up for small and medium creatures, we'll see.

If you folks have suggestions of what else you might like to see at the market, suggest it here and I'll mull over it with Budd.

Edit: oh, and mod-wise, I prefer eco's mods to basically anything else.

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Yeah @Kalnaur is helping with remodels. There's already a waterwheel up! It works like a mortar and pestle.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    Yeah, apologies for leaving the terror of the beach in the market, I'm probably going to put them in the obelisk on the other side of the teleporter when I get a chance. I can't get them back home without crossing paths with that asshole giga.

Also, the outer wall I've added to the market? From what I understand, if you can see through the machicolations, you can shoot through them. I used those in place of basic crenelations just in case someone tried to tranq something from inside the market on the beach below, as we regularly seem to have rexes and allos patrolling the beach down there.

Important note: CKF has mentioned that their foundations are now "stair-steppable", so that basically they will align up or down directly from a previous foundation, provided there is land to support it. That's because foundations have a lot of health, and they didn't want people to just build solid walls out of foundations.

This also means that, if you want the stair railings, you should be able to look slightly down from an already placed foundation and place another foundation, then place gables on that foundation, then stairs, and finally, the railings. It works for me, at least. Also, if something feels like it went wonky, take the S+ demo gun and point it about where you placed the (probably unseeable) foundation and fire and you should get the foundation back. The demo gun grabs through terrain.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I woke up at my new house without being dead! I spent like 2 hours today taming another Carby and building a walled enclosure for it to hopefully protect it. So much wood. I'll see about adding spikes later. He definitely makes picking berries go faster. Just one quick run out with him got me enough narcoberries to make 37 narcotics. I just hit level 38, so I can see about making a ptera saddle and taming one. Things are looking up!

I got a sweet supply crate right outside of my house. It had a blue metal axe, a purple scythe, and a bunch of S+ metal pipes and the blueprints for them.

Oh yeah, since no Ark adventure goes unpunished, on the way back, we made an attempt at getting our doed back via raft, and he fell in, and was attacked by sharks. In the process, my wooden box on the raft got caught in a bite and I lost a bunch of stuff from beacon drops I'd gathered last night. Goodbye, arthropleura, procoptodon, megalocerous, and some other critter's saddles, along with a bunch of narcotic and stimulants, some element, and a handful of coins.

Kalnaur wrote: »
    Also, the outer wall I've added to the market? From what I understand, if you can see through the machicolations, you can shoot through them. I used those in place of basic crenelations just in case someone tried to tranq something from inside the market on the beach below, as we regularly seem to have rexes and allos patrolling the beach down there.

You know what I want to do now? Build a pen down below that ridge so you can lead/drop tames in there and fire on them from above. Hmm...

• BitTWistBitTWist Kitsap CountyRegistered User regular
    We where wiped out by a 140 Bronto sometime this morning. One of our tames must have caused agro. wasn't pretty. Guess there will be another unicorn spawn now.

3DS:2552-1222-3225 / PSN:BitTwist
  • DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Whoever Focke is, I found your corpse bag, and put it all in an unlocked chest because the bag was about to decay.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
    Oh, so, one of the things I fixed with this latest restart was the default prices for a couple resources. Generally speaking, a single coin gets you a LOT from some of the vendors. I'm still not super happy with what the defaults are on some things, because it's very inconsistent compared to the time it would normally take to get some of these things.

Example, the default gives 1 coin per dodo egg, and then you could have bought like 15 deathworm spikes. That feels... off... to me. Maybe one of the harder resources to get in the game shouldn't be easy to farm with a single dodo.

I've tweaked that (and a few other things) to take a little bit more effort. Although a large dodo farm would still let you get pretty much anything you want, eventually.

I mention this because while it might not be as cheap as a single dodo egg, for a reasonable amount of coins you can still get enough deathworm horns to get you a mantis. If you haven't played SE, they are fantastic all-purpose gatherers. They also hurt like hell if they hit you.

MuddBudd wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »

You know what I want to do now? Build a pen down below that ridge so you can lead/drop tames in there and fire on them from above. Hmm...

I'll test the machis today to make sure they work as stated. If so, I can see what part works best for such a box, and/or if we need additional construction for a box. Flying a bird right towards the cliff and pulling up at the last minute would be great. Even better if we use a CKF gate that can be triggered using their levers. Fly towards the market, alert the second party up in the market, flip the switch once they and the dino are through to trap the intended tame.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I made room and moved ARK to my SSD, but I found the mod loading times still pretty long and then I realized that workshop content is saved in the Steam install directory, which is on my platter drive. I'm moving it now to see if I can create a symbolic link.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I made room and moved ARK to my SSD, but I found the mod loading times still pretty long and then I realized that workshop content is saved in the Steam install directory, which is on my platter drive. I'm moving it now to see if I can create a symbolic link.

Ark really makes me wish I'd invested in the hybrid drive, instead of the dual platter and SSD for boot like I've got now. Just not enough room on my SSD to put much in the way of games. A hybrid drive can help more than a separate SSD sometimes, since it'll optimize the files that load the most to the SSD portion instead of the entire folder like a separate drive.

Hevach on
    How do people feel about 'structure' stuff in drops. As in, S+ walls, etc... or the CKF mod stuff instead?

• PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    Man coming back is weird. I forgot what it's like to just be starting out as opposed to already having all the engrams and dinos you could wan't to build whatever.

steam_sig.png
    I'd actually prefer CKF weapons and armor to drop in beacons over structures.

S+ structures are nice and useful, however the stone ones are just made with wood, thatch, and stone.

The keep pieces are mad with 50+ metal per piece. So if someone is building with keep pieces finding them in a drop would save a LOT of farming.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • PrincessMasterChiefPrincessMasterChief Registered User regular
    I like finding Element and coins in even low level drops and CKF pieces in there too would extra awesome.

• azhaisazhais Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Decomposey wrote: »
    S+ structures are nice and useful, however the stone ones are just made with wood, thatch, and stone.

The keep pieces are mad with 50+ metal per piece. So if someone is building with keep pieces finding them in a drop would save a LOT of farming.

Still less farming than tons of paste! Teleport on over to Fort Bird if you want to see where metal goes to die atm.
    Ragnarok is so damn big. I've barely touched anything beyond the highlands because flyers kinda suck now. I didn't know where the swamp biome was til now.

On the topic of teleporting to us, the swamp biome is just across the water from the bird herd if you wanted to port in a flyer or something and get to it quickly. The water is reasonably deep between us and it however, and there be sharks, so I don't know that I'd recommend a slow land dino. There are a few swamp trees on the end of our little peninsula if you just wanted some low volume mushrooms.

azhais on
    steam_sig.png
    azhais wrote: »

Still less farming than tons of paste! Teleport on over to Fort Bird if you want to see where metal goes to die atm.
    Ragnarok is so damn big. I've barely touched anything beyond the highlands because flyers kinda suck now. I didn't know where the swamp biome was til now.

On the topic of teleporting to us, the swamp biome is just across the water from the bird herd if you wanted to port in a flyer or something and get to it quickly. The water is reasonably deep between us and it however, and there be sharks, so I don't know that I'd recommend a slow land dino. There are a few swamp trees on the end of our little peninsula if you just wanted some low volume mushrooms.

There are metal nodes near where I am, but not large ones, and I haven't tamed anything to haul so it's several trips back and forth. As soon as the S+ large crop plots I looted and seeded yesterday start producing, I'll be able to tame a Dunkle and get all the metal I need. The ocean is positively lousy with metal nodes. And oil nodes. And crystal nodes.

Just have to not be deathly afraid of the darkened depths filled with dread horrors that seek your blood.

So Mudd, what's the word on that Swim Mask mod?

edited September 2017
    azhais wrote: »

There are metal nodes near where I am, but not large ones, and I haven't tamed anything to haul so it's several trips back and forth. As soon as the S+ large crop plots I looted and seeded yesterday start producing, I'll be able to tame a Dunkle and get all the metal I need. The ocean is positively lousy with metal nodes. And oil nodes. And crystal nodes.

Just have to not be deathly afraid of the darkened depths filled with dread horrors that seek your blood.

So Mudd, what's the word on that Swim Mask mod?

It will either be the next version update (which in theory was supposed to be like, last Saturday), or when I restart Thursday night to activate the next weekend boost.

MuddBudd on
    Yay! The sea is good, but it's great when you can actually see what you're doing :) Hopefully by the time the mask is implemented I'll have a shark and enough curry to mount and expedition to the deep for a dunkle and some anglers.

• BeornKBeornK Registered User regular
    @Decomposey I placed an unlocked S+ Industrial forge near that big round raised rock area between my place and your inlet. Its got a ton of metal around there. you can get a anky or other mount like a trike up the side towards the metal. Its a total red neck setup but theres the big forge, a smaller one (in case someone needs to refine some oil).

Its open to whom ever, though I'll probably move it as some point down the road. Bring your own gas, as I don't have much oil yet to leave extra there.

DS0mQJS.png
    The problems with ankys and trikes are that in order to get them out of my base, they have to walk up a very long curling ledge in my cave, and neither of them are particular quick. Then walking from there to raised rock area would be even slower.

Meanwhile a dunkle can just shimmy its way up the river all the way to, what will be eventually, the resource unloading point in my base. So once I'm all set up it will work great. As it is, I haven't tamed a trike or an anky, and don't plan to.

Reminder that we have a forge mod that unlocks a smaller, faster version of the industrial forge.

• DacDac Registered User regular
    I am in desperate need of a weather vane to put on my house's gable.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    Well, I had a productive day. I planned to tame a pteradon and needed a little bit more narcotic. I went out to get a little meat first and got killed by a terror bird. Several times. Thankfully Phibbs came to help, and took out 2 terror birds and a raptor. During all of that, the pteradon I had my eye on (a 140) got himself stuck in my dino pen, so I went ahead and tranq'd him. I had some narcotic, but it was a mad dash to get the meat I needed and more berries, but it worked out. I ended up with a 179. This game really opens up once you have a flyer! I later took out 2 more raptors with him, so I'm feeling good. Hopefully he doesn't die on me. He's on my roof, on a cliff, on passive. My main concern is the occasional argy that comes by. I'm planning on probably moving my base soonish so somewhere less hellhole-ish.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    The water route into the Ashenmirth base is absolutely faster than the ramp. That ramp is slow and boring and you exit into the gross-ass jungle. Blech.

The river goes right to the wonderful ocean.

• DacDac Registered User regular
    Yay! The sea is good, but it's great when you can actually see what you're doing :) Hopefully by the time the mask is implemented I'll have a shark and enough curry to mount and expedition to the deep for a dunkle and some anglers.

Merbro finbump.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    Dac wrote: »

Merbro finbump.

Just a reminder, the Ashenmirth tribe is recruiting those who enjoy bobbing along at the bottom of the beautiful briney sea.

• BeornKBeornK Registered User regular
    @Dac, there are weathervanes in the eco stable mod. I could not get them to clip to the CK&F however. You may only be able to get them to mount to the stable mod roofs and I'm not sure how that works with CKF. Good luck.

Oh, Decompsey you should make some canoes (eco camping mod) to leave around your base to give it that primitive harbor vibe. More boats!

DS0mQJS.png
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    I want to make a sea fort.

steam_sig.png
    I shouldn't just log in to check stuff. I end up playing for 2 or 3 hours.

I shouldn't just log in to check stuff. I end up playing for 2 or 3 hours.

Here's me basically every time:

"Alright, this last load of metal/stone/wood and I'll go home and log off for the night."

3 picoseconds later

"Is... that a high level dino? Well... I GUESS I don't need THAT much sleep tonight."

That's happened to me every other time I go to the market. Yesterday I went to get an anky graciously provided by Blackhole Yeti, and came home with a megalosaurus I hadn't planned on. Before that I'd gone specifically to tame a doed and came home with the asshole rex that had been terrorizing everyone on the beach.

@f3rret is a boon to all mankind, taming a doed for us market peeps so I could get off the computer and pay attention to my wife on our anniversary.

edited September 2017
    I went looking for a quick argent tame and came back with a higher level Carno as well. (Thanks to Azhais for help getting tamed and saddled!)

I was wondering where the doed came from.

MuddBudd on
    I saw that doedic fall off the cliff onto murder beach, right by the giant ribcage, yesterday afternoon. I was very tempted to tame him myself, but I wasn't able to stick around long enough. I tried to push him into my dino pen, but I couldn't get him to go through the gate (probably by design). I logged off and came back on an hour and a half or so later and was relieved he was still alive. I did see him get attacked by a raptor, which I saved him from. I later saw a rex right by where he was, which I also took out. Glad the little guy made it.

I slowly led her back home, and got her in the market by attacking her. Then, I led her to a dead end and put up fences, and waited for her to heal while I continued building. Finally I knocked her out, but I didn't quite have the time to feed it and more importantly Narco it. I'm really glad Ferret could assist!

This discussion has been closed.