As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trump Administration to Undo 2015 Ban on Police Purchasing Military Gear

2»

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Selner wrote: »
    So the wiki page for the 1033 Program has some frightening stats regarding that program, which is the one that "transfers" equipment from military to civilian.
    DLA public-affairs chief Kenneth MacNevin stated in 2012, that "more than 30 Arizona police agencies have been suspended or terminated for failing to meet program standards and nine remain under suspension".[18] One of them was the Maricopa County, Arizona law enforcement after failing to account for 20 of the 200 military weapons it had received.[38] The suspension did not affect police acquisition of high powered weaponry due to anti-racketeering or confiscated drug funds, according to Maricopa's Sheriff.[38]

In North Carolina, law officials are working to reinstate the 1033 program through more rigorous inventory management, after the state was suspended for failing to account for some transferred equipment.[33] North Carolina officials state that 3,303 out of the 4,227 pieces of equipment obtained through the program are tactical items including automatic weapons and military vehicles and the remainder is not used in combat, and includes cots, containers and generators.[33]

Fusion reported in August 2014 that a total of 184 state and local police departments had been suspended from the program for missing weapons and failure to comply with guidelines.[39] Missing items included M14 and M16 assault rifles, pistols, shotguns, and two Humvee vehicles.[39]

The page, with cited sources, is here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1033_program

The police getting the stuff is concerning enough, but the amount that goes missing is rather alarming as well.
    My understanding is that most of the stuff that goes "missing" is pilfered by military members which they trade amongst themselves. I heard some marines talking about it in half speak about how hard NVGs are these days now they are doing strict inventories, bit they had a couple plate carriers to trade.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    So It Goes wrote: »
    This is 100% "Obama did it, so I'm undoing it." That's it.

Eh, I'd say Trump's fascists streak accounts for some of this decision.

Nobeard on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Enc wrote: »
    Local police do not need a combat tank. Why is this so hard

Literally. Departments were buying MRAPs and shit iirc. Not quite a tank, but...

The motorcycle cops have M4s in a holster along the frame
    Wonder why I feel really unsafe with them around since they are sporting the same level of gear I had in Afghanistan

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Yes, this is exactly what everyone in the country has been asking for.

More/easier ability for the police to purchase MORE military grade weaponry.

(and in case anyone couldn't tell... yes, massive sarcasm)

I fixed that for you. The US police already has PLENTY of military weapons. This is just Trump saying that should also be allowed to have weapons which have no purpose beyond causing mass casualties and allowing them to intimidate large populations into submission with no concern as to public safety.

I don't disagree in the least.

I don't think ANY police department needs this stuff, nor should they get it (actual weaponry and equipment, not talking about life saving equipment such as protective gear).

If they express a need for legitimate military grade combat equipment, there should be a process to allow for a temporary deployment of the national guard to help them out for whatever period of time required to get the situation under control.

National Guard is Governor controlled. If it gets that bad the state can choose to send them wherever. Notably this is what happened during the 50s-70s civil rights and peace movements when governors were trying to kill protesters.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    This of course is also a way to arm white supremecist groups, since those are known to have infiltrated the police.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    zepherin wrote: »
    So the wiki page for the 1033 Program has some frightening stats regarding that program, which is the one that "transfers" equipment from military to civilian.
    DLA public-affairs chief Kenneth MacNevin stated in 2012, that "more than 30 Arizona police agencies have been suspended or terminated for failing to meet program standards and nine remain under suspension".[18] One of them was the Maricopa County, Arizona law enforcement after failing to account for 20 of the 200 military weapons it had received.[38] The suspension did not affect police acquisition of high powered weaponry due to anti-racketeering or confiscated drug funds, according to Maricopa's Sheriff.[38]

In North Carolina, law officials are working to reinstate the 1033 program through more rigorous inventory management, after the state was suspended for failing to account for some transferred equipment.[33] North Carolina officials state that 3,303 out of the 4,227 pieces of equipment obtained through the program are tactical items including automatic weapons and military vehicles and the remainder is not used in combat, and includes cots, containers and generators.[33]

Fusion reported in August 2014 that a total of 184 state and local police departments had been suspended from the program for missing weapons and failure to comply with guidelines.[39] Missing items included M14 and M16 assault rifles, pistols, shotguns, and two Humvee vehicles.[39]

The police getting the stuff is concerning enough, but the amount that goes missing is rather alarming as well.
    My understanding is that most of the stuff that goes "missing" is pilfered by military members which they trade amongst themselves. I heard some marines talking about it in half speak about how hard NVGs are these days now they are doing strict inventories, bit they had a couple plate carriers to trade.

Not the ones that disappear from 1033, at least not all of them. Part of Michigan's crackdown on badge sale was recovering hundreds of 1033 weapons that had been taken and usually kept but sometimes sold by the officers they were assigned to. They were being treated the same way the regular 9mm pistols the departments issued were, being taken home and treated like personal weapons and not properly checked in and out. Nobody particularly worried so they were only missed months or years later when someone from the program showed up for their inventory before they could get more stuff, at which point holy hell how did we lose a hundred M16s?

Fun fact about 1033 MRAPs. Most departments that get them end up trying to get rid of them. They can't be given back, and they can't be sold (unlike a rifle they'll be missed instantly). The one my area got ran on helicopter fuel and required a full time specialized mechanic, of which there are not enough available for all the vehicles in the program so they command outrageous salaries.

The only way to get rid of one is to catch another department that was approved to get one before they're given their own and convince them to take yours instead.

They absolutely eat paved roads and cost a fortune sitting in the garage and rusting.

Hevach on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

When they're talking about Maricopa county they were talking about weapons being missing after an accounting done of the Sheriff's office. There weren't any soldiers involved to walk off with equipment, it was sheer police complacency and incompetence.

• Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular

NVGs are a sensitive item stored in a vault. They are also accounted for weekly and are often tied to a soldier physically in the field so that you don't lose them.

Plate Carriers are easy to get. You can buy one online if you want one. It's one of the last items I'd be worried about falling in the wrong hands.

• Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Yes, this is exactly what everyone in the country has been asking for.

More/easier ability for the police to purchase MORE military grade weaponry.

(and in case anyone couldn't tell... yes, massive sarcasm)

I fixed that for you. The US police already has PLENTY of military weapons. This is just Trump saying that should also be allowed to have weapons which have no purpose beyond causing mass casualties and allowing them to intimidate large populations into submission with no concern as to public safety.

I don't disagree in the least.

I don't think ANY police department needs this stuff, nor should they get it (actual weaponry and equipment, not talking about life saving equipment such as protective gear).

If they express a need for legitimate military grade combat equipment, there should be a process to allow for a temporary deployment of the national guard to help them out for whatever period of time required to get the situation under control.

National Guard is Governor controlled. If it gets that bad the state can choose to send them wherever. Notably this is what happened during the 50s-70s civil rights and peace movements when governors were trying to kill protesters.

Right, I was thinking more of a "they take up residence until not needed" sort of thing. Not just a temporary roll in, roll out deal. Maybe they can do that now, no idea. But either way, I'm sure that the "urgent need" the vast majority of these departments expressed would magically evaporate if that was the process they had to follow.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    America, please stop ripping off plotlines from Marvel series.

There are no metahumans to worry about.

Yet...

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Waffen wrote: »

NVGs are a sensitive item stored in a vault. They are also accounted for weekly and are often tied to a soldier physically in the field so that you don't lose them.

Plate Carriers are easy to get. You can buy one online if you want one. It's one of the last items I'd be worried about falling in the wrong hands.
    ...So what they said checks out.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Serious post: I don't mind if police departments have military equipment under specific circumstances. Such as SWAT in a highly dangerous situation such as a bank robbery or terrorist event. They might need night vision, body armor, assault rifles with high capacity magazines, and armored vehicles.

That said, there was already a process for them to get this. Joe Flatfoot doesn't need that shit.

Also, armored HMWWV's can be maintained by a normal mechanic. MRAP's are complicated as fuck to maintain and expensive as fuck. We use them in the military because we need that specific type of protection. I don't think police yet need RPG netting and U-shaped hulls for IED protection and the capacity to have 8 different communications platforms.

There is no reason for this.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    Waffen wrote: »

...So what they said checks out.

Well in so much that you can buy commercially made plate carriers that are generally of the same quality as what one would get from CIF. The carriers are pretty cheap it's the plates that are expensive.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Serious post: I don't mind if police departments have military equipment under specific circumstances. Such as SWAT in a highly dangerous situation such as a bank robbery or terrorist event. They might need night vision, body armor, assault rifles with high capacity magazines, and armored vehicles.

That said, there was already a process for them to get this. Joe Flatfoot doesn't need that shit.

Also, armored HMWWV's can be maintained by a normal mechanic. MRAP's are complicated as fuck to maintain and expensive as fuck. We use them in the military because we need that specific type of protection. I don't think police yet need RPG netting and U-shaped hulls for IED protection and the capacity to have 8 different communications platforms.

Which departments need this gear though? Do you do it by population or by risk because city size doesn't necessarily indicate need. The Charleston WV metro area, for example, has a few large chemical plants directly on a river that eventually dumps into the Mississippi, but has a relatively small population (about 50,000 and shrinking). Cities twice that size may lack industry that causes ecological devastation, so do they need one? I'm attending school at Ohio University right now, and the town is small, but it's at ~+25000 population right now because all the students are back. Do they need one?

I feel like a possible solution would be to:

1) Limit police access to weapons/equipment to what a civilian can buy without any special licenses.
    2) Allow the FBI/DHS/etc. to determine if a city is high risk; if it is, they can purchase equipment for SWAT units, with limitations (no damn tanks). If it isn't, they can't purchase equipment for SWAT units.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited August 2017

Which departments need this gear though? Do you do it by population or by risk because city size doesn't necessarily indicate need. The Charleston WV metro area, for example, has a few large chemical plants directly on a river that eventually dumps into the Mississippi, but has a relatively small population (about 50,000 and shrinking). Cities twice that size may lack industry that causes ecological devastation, so do they need one? I'm attending school at Ohio University right now, and the town is small, but it's at ~+25000 population right now because all the students are back. Do they need one?

1) Limit police access to weapons/equipment to what a civilian can buy without any special licenses.
    2) Allow the FBI/DHS/etc. to determine if a city is high risk; if it is, they can purchase equipment for SWAT units, with limitations (no damn tanks). If it isn't, they can't purchase equipment for SWAT units.

I'd add that the area (city, county, state) is capable of maintaining high level training for a dedicated SWAT team.

When you start talking about protecting infrastructure and chemical plants, you're on department of defense turf anyway.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular

For 1, generally they are. Patrol rifles have been replacing shotguns in radio cars/cruisers over the last few years (for multiple reasons, a very big one being ease of use because of a more simple manual of arms under stress and lower recoil for smaller and female officers) but they are almost always semi-auto carbines not select fire M4s/M16s. Even for SWAT. Which, YMMV by state law, are generally purchasable by non LEO civilians.

For 2, many agencies outside of the larger ones like NY, LA etc. don't have dedicated full time SWAT. They have patrol officers who are part time SWAT and many of the smaller agencies have 1 or 2 patrol officers who are part time SWAT as part of a county wide or multi-municipality SWAT team manned by 1 or 2 patrol officers from multiple agencies part time.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    This is 100% "Obama did it, so I'm undoing it." That's it.

I don't disagree with you. But I will say that Trump is an authoritarian, and I'm sure that turning the police force into a paramilitary arm of his fascist regime was just a nice little bonus to him while he was busy undoing Obama's legacy.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Trump, a man who has never felt the jackbooted heel of authority on his face, pressing his skull into the hard pavement, enthusiastically endorses jackbootery. Color me surprised.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    This whole thing is so fucking stupid and irresponsible.

It doesn't help the PDs. If a department is cash strapped, the last fucking thing they need is military grade equipment; especially, when the department in question has issues with people not knowing what the fuck they can legally do or to even properly police (granted doesn't help that some have be infiltrated by white supremacists and Nazi fuckers). If someone wanted to help cash strapped PDs, they'd be pushing for a federal program that makes sure these people get properly trained and vetted. Have a program that helps them procure reasonable equipment for a police department (while we're at it, get rid of the stupid setup that forced them to have to get vehicles from specific manufacturers, I'm fine if they convert a seized vehicle, provided it wasn't acquired via civil fortifier, in a police vehicle). Also telling the NRA to get fucked, it's Constitutional to have limits on firearms.

All this bullshit will accomplish, is that shitty PDs will commit more abuses and cause more harm than they would otherwise be able to do. Some are full of people that should be straight fired and black listed for being able to be law enforcement of any sort. Others have morons that will feel a need of having to use the military equipment; especially, when the upkeep starts taking money away from more important things. Then of course, there is the issue that this fucks over communities because they get stuck funding the upkeep for this unneeded shit in the best case scenario, worse case they also get harmed by it in the process.

I do wonder if states could nullify this shit on Constitutional grounds. Guess I can ask my state people to look into banning PDs from having military equipment.

Mill on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    I'm fine if they convert a seized vehicle, provided it was acquired via civil fortifier, in a police vehicle

No. Taking money is bad enough, there shouldn't be an incentive to steal people's cars too.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Why is it always the "when the government comes for my guns I'll fight them!" people that support turning the police into a military force?

Thats who youll be fighting you dumbasses!

Of course the hidden wink wink nudge nudge is that they know the police will be on their side in any antigovernment (cough cough-white supremacist) uprising

This is both stupid and evil, so its perfect Trump

Prohass on
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Mill wrote: »
    I'm fine if they convert a seized vehicle, provided it was acquired via civil fortifier, in a police vehicle

No. Taking money is bad enough, there shouldn't be an incentive to steal people's cars too.

That was supposed to be a wasn't. Like if they legit seize a vehicle with a legit method (prove the vehicle was used for illegal activity by the owner, bough with illegally obtained money or someone eats serious fines and the car is taken as collateral). I'd like the practice of cups using an unconstitutional method of seizing property to die in a fire. I will say that it's existence is more an issue of "law & culture" thinking being super shitty and not a symptom of PDs being underfunded.