As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mario+Rabbids] Sparks of Hope out now!

LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
edited October 2022 in Games and Technology
mrkb-header-desktop-ncsa.jpg
https://rabbids.ubisoft.com/portal/en-us/games/mario-rabbids-kingdom-battle.aspx

Hello everyone! Welcome to Mario+Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

You might be wondering "What is this game?"
That is an excellent question! Let me try to explain.

This is Mario:
MarioSMBW.png

And this is a Rabbid
zb3i94uk42et.png

And this is what you get when you combine the two:
mrkb-popin-8-rabbidmario-hero_292117.png

Mario+Rabbids: Kingdom Battle is a game developed by Ubisoft, using a smash-up of their Rabbids brand characters with Nintendo's Mario characters.

The gameplay is a tactical, turn-based strategy game. It has been compared to X-COM in terms of gameplay. This game has turns. It has strategy. It has cover. It has chest-high walls. It has everything you could possibly want.

wk5tv3kwrey0.png
225660_detail_03.jpg

And if you want to know what the gameplay is like, here's some trailers:

E3 2017 Announcement Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bvUwoBXOyc

Combat Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeQBRjGFx90

Lucascraft on

• Options
    edited June 2018
    DLC INFO

What: Donkey Kong Adventure
    Why: DK joins the team and has new adventures
    When: June 26
    Price: $14.99 standalone or $20 as part of the season pass

E3 2018 Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69YOF_kcUw0

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I love Mario. I hate Rabbids. I love... SRPGs and tactical shooters... but I hate Rabbids... but I love bold new franchises and the Switch... but RABBIDS, though.

B-range reviews work on this one. I'm buying this as soon as I get home.

I guess I was sold when I heard someone say, "You can put Mario into overwatch mode and he'll pop out and automatically shoot any rabbids moving in his LOS." A plumber after my own heart.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    I wonder why they're releasing this on a Tuesday instead of Friday, as usual. I won't have a whole lot of time to play it anyway till the weekend, but oh well.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Love Mario. Love Rabbids. Kinda "eh" on SRPGs and tactical games. Picking up this title on the license alone.

Anyone know if the figures are going to be available in any retail stores or will I need to pick these up online (presumably from Ubisoft?)

DCJbimyUMAAA8xi.jpg

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    I wonder why they're releasing this on a Tuesday instead of Friday, as usual. I won't have a whole lot of time to play it anyway till the weekend, but oh well.

Ubisoft is publishing, not nintendo. Tuesday is the "normal" day for releases I think.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Please update your account to enable third party hosting is my favorite Nintendo character

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Anyone know what time this unlocks on the NA eshop?

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Please update your account to enable third party hosting is my favorite Nintendo character

You aren't able to see my images? They're showing up for me just fine.

• Options
    natlovenatlove Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Man, the online prices for those figures are prohibitively high.

Also, I'm sad this thread isn't getting more love. Reviews are pretty good! This seems destined to be an under-appreciated gem.

natlove on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Anyone know what time this unlocks on the NA eshop?

Even though it's technically a 3rd party game, it is also a Mario game. So I'm going to guess midnight eastern time.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I haven't even played the game and I've already decided Rabbid Peach is the best thing.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    verbelverbel Registered User regular
    I think this looks pretty great. I am thinking of getting a switch because of it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    natlove wrote: »
    Man, the online prices for those figures are prohibitively high.

Also, I'm sad this thread isn't getting more love. Reviews are pretty good! This seems destined to be an under-appreciated gem.

Game isn't even out yet. Thread is 3 hours old.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    I just can't decide if I want a physical copy or digital since I bought a new memory card to dl stuff.

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

I laughed pretty hard at this.

Pumped for P.U.Y.A.2.E.3.P.H.'s big debut in Smash Bros.

Edit: btw, that was successfully removed from the OP, so good job (and good OP)

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    I just can't decide if I want a physical copy or digital since I bought a new memory card to dl stuff.

Portable system = digital in my world. If I can take it with me, I don't want to haul around a pile of little wafers to lose.

Okay to be fair everything is digital in my world, but that's me. Argument's still a good one. I've got Zelda on cart 'cause it's the biggest out there, and otherwise I'm downloading. Just leaving Zelda in the slot.

• Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    So this unlocked last night and I've finished World 1 (story wise).

It's X-Com, but incredibly fast paced. Mario can quite easily move across the entire battlemap, and damage 3 enemies on the way, in a single turn with the right setup. The first mini-boss was pretty rough, but the end boss had an interesting gimmick. The 3 man limit and lack of healing can make things a bit rough, because by about half way through world 1 you'll regularly be outnumbered at least 2 to 1. It's good fun, and I'm working through World 1 again to try and pick up collectables and challenges now that I can move boxes.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Doesn't look like a midnight release on U.S. eShop... :(

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    So, not up in the US eShop yet. Which basically means everywhere else got midnight launches but not us. That's cool? I guess?

• Options
    edited August 2017
    NZ was about 1am local time.

EDIT: Actually no, I'm miscalculating. It was midnight.

Chrysis on
    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    Aw man, I can't even BUY it yet. :(

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    After you've finished a world you unlock a bunch of challenge missions. I suggest you do them sooner rather than later if you're going to do them. I left a few of the world 1 challenges until I'd finished world 2 and the higher damage weaponry and skill advancements I had made them trivially easy.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Love Mario. Love Rabbids. Kinda "eh" on SRPGs and tactical games. Picking up this title on the license alone.

Anyone know if the figures are going to be available in any retail stores or will I need to pick these up online (presumably from Ubisoft?)

DCJbimyUMAAA8xi.jpg

As far as I know Gamestop? but what do they do?

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    It's up on the US eShop now... I really shouldn't stay up later to play it, buuuut...

• Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    Ok. Defying all potential mashup pitfalls this game is fucking rad. I hope they expand on this.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    What team are people going with? I've unlocked all but the Yoshis and am currently going Mario/Luigi/Rabbid Mario

Mario is forced into your team, presumably for licencing rather than gameplay reasons? And you have to take at least one Rabbid.

I think ideally I'd like Peach in there for the team jump based healing, but I can't stand to drop deadeye sniper Luigi for her. With upgrades he now gets three overwatch shots every other turn. And as overwatch shots are only taken at 100% to hit opportunities it makes him a real beast.

For my compulsory Rabbid it's also hard to say no to Rabbid Mario, his dash damage is mad and his ability to lure is amazing. Combine with the fact that his melee AoE and his shotgun usually have a self heal weapon option and he's an unstoppable assault monster.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Only 8 more hours of work!

• Options
    texasheattexasheat Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I played like 5 hours this morning after release, REALLY enjoying the game so far. It's news to me that you have to take a Rabbid...I remember an inverview quote or maybe tweet, that said you could play with all Mario or all Rabbid's if you like...could've been a dream...

My go to team so far is Mario Luigi Rabbid Peach, cause that heal+Multi dash is AWESOME.

I've only finished world one, which I went back into immediately to get more stuff. God I have a thing for collectables....

Something you should probably mention in the OP is that there is Multiplayer....I haven't tried it yet...but that might get more people interested...

texasheat on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    It really annoys me that four playable character spots are wasted on rabbid versions of the other playable characters.

• Options
    DLC Wario, Waluigi + Rabbid versions please.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    It really annoys me that four playable character spots are wasted on rabbid versions of the other playable characters.

Now imagine a Ninja Turtle game where that's every hidden character

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    The DLC potential of this game is very high. I'm hoping the game does very well in sales and Ubisoft creates multiple mission packs with new enemies and new playable characters.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    where my toad at

where my bowser at

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    The DLC potential of this game is very high. I'm hoping the game does very well in sales and Ubisoft creates multiple mission packs with new enemies and new playable characters.

There's already a season pass, but it's just new weapons, solo challenges, co-op maps and story stuff.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »

this is itching a specific scratch for me so very hard. I hope they either expand on this greatly or some other company is heartened by the sales and we get another real deal strategy title in the same vein

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Maz- wrote: »

Cause its ubisoft, not nintendo. I was wondering about this as well, so i did double check, but it makes sense. Little irritated that WoW's patch comes out today as well but at least i have a long weekend ahead of me to catch up.

EDIT: SHIT i just realized....PORTABLE SYSTEM... I don't have to wait! I just have to...uh...avoid my boss at work?

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    What team are people going with? I've unlocked all but the Yoshis and am currently going Mario/Luigi/Rabbid Mario

Mario is forced into your team, presumably for licencing rather than gameplay reasons? And you have to take at least one Rabbid.

I think ideally I'd like Peach in there for the team jump based healing, but I can't stand to drop deadeye sniper Luigi for her. With upgrades he now gets three overwatch shots every other turn. And as overwatch shots are only taken at 100% to hit opportunities it makes him a real beast.

For my compulsory Rabbid it's also hard to say no to Rabbid Mario, his dash damage is mad and his ability to lure is amazing. Combine with the fact that his melee AoE and his shotgun usually have a self heal weapon option and he's an unstoppable assault monster.

Deadeye sniper Luigi? Finally Nintendo has found Luigi's Niche. Too bad they don't usually do much with gun games.

• Options
    Chrysis wrote: »

It's X-Com, but incredibly fast paced. Mario can quite easily move across the entire battlemap, and damage 3 enemies on the way, in a single turn with the right setup. The first mini-boss was pretty rough, but the end boss had an interesting gimmick. The 3 man limit and lack of healing can make things a bit rough, because by about half way through world 1 you'll regularly be outnumbered at least 2 to 1. It's good fun, and I'm working through World 1 again to try and pick up collectables and challenges now that I can move boxes.

Is there an rpg leveling system at play in this game? More health/damage etc?

• Options

I'm finding myself wanting to do digital with every Switch purchase, but end up being too eager to play the game to wait for a download, so i just pick it up on my way back from work. I don't want to worry about losing my carts.

• Options
    azith28 wrote: »
    Chrysis wrote: »

Is there an rpg leveling system at play in this game? More health/damage etc?

There are skill trees as well as equipment