As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mario+Rabbids] Sparks of Hope out now!

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Y'all keep saying "Octo Expansion" and I keep thinking to myself "How can there be an expansion for Octopath when the game isn't out yet. Then I realize you're talking about Splatoon.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    If you have the season pass, the DK Adventure DLC is out now.

Edit: Update seems out but I can't seem to access it for some reason... maybe it's rolling out based on location.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    What's the DK Adventure price if you buy it alone? I can't find it anywhere.

...though I should probably just fork over the $20 for the season pass as a tip to the developers for making such an unlikely, bonkers, great game.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Looks like it's $14.99 as a standalone product.

• Options
    Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Sequel announced!

https://nintendo.com/games/detail/mario-plus-rabbids-sparks-of-hope-switch/

More details likely to follow later today during the Ubisoft E3 event.

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Oh man, that’s a nice surprise!

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    4iu8l8lt8rga.jpg

Enjoyed the original so can't wait to see what they do with this.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Bows are cool and all but I already miss seeing Luigi using a sniper rifle.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I hope Mario won't be a forced pick this time.
    (I hope even more there won't be any forced picks, but if we're not forced to have at least one rabbid I'll be amazed.)

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I loved the first one to pieces, and thought it was a brilliant game, and indeed it has remained my favorite Switch game after 4 years. But if I could level one complaint against the game, it's that the Rabbids seem highly unnecessary. The game would be better if it was wholly a Mario property and nothing more. Of course, if that was the case Ubisoft wouldn't be involved. So I understand why the Rabbids kinda have to be there.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Insofar as the Rabbids must exist, I appreciate that the Rabbid versions of the Mario characters are all subtly "off" in their characterization compared to the characters they pull from. Rabbid Mario is more of a "swarthy Italian" stereotype, Rabbid Luigi is less "Mario's younger brother" than "Mario's kid brother", Rabbid Peach is a conceited princess, and so on.

In that respect, I'm already completely taken with Rabbid Rosalina's mopey goth shtick. :lol:

Y'all think the spikey-haired one with the giant straight razor is supposed to be Rabbid Bowser?

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    Insofar as the Rabbids must exist, I appreciate that the Rabbid versions of the Mario characters are all subtly "off" in their characterization compared to the characters they pull from. Rabbid Mario is more of a "swarthy Italian" stereotype, Rabbid Luigi is less "Mario's younger brother" than "Mario's kid brother", Rabbid Peach is a conceited princess, and so on.

In that respect, I'm already completely taken with Rabbid Rosalina's mopey goth shtick. :lol:

Y'all think the spikey-haired one with the giant straight razor is supposed to be Rabbid Bowser?

I have no idea, but i could just hear the "Nothing personal, kid".

Anyway! Yay! Looks like everyone's getting different weapons this time around? Just going by the gameplay trailer at least.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Kupi wrote: »

Given the sword I think its supposed to be Rabbid cloud which is hilarious

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    There's also Nintendo refusal to innovate Mario settings and characters outside of the main 3D games. So the Rabbids element allows Ubisoft to be creative by importing non-Mario things and mixing that to make entirely new non-Mario things.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Also, the Rabbids allow for a contrast that works. Mario basically spends the game being the straight man to these little lunatics, which actually enhances both sides of the crossover - just Rabbid humor all the time with no counterpoint gets tiresome real fast, but a game this length with only Mario characters would get boring pretty quickly (among other things because Luigi would be the butt of every joke, because Luigi is the only Mario character that is allowed to get jokes made at his expense) so they'd probably need to go full on Mario&Luigi style - which I'm not sure Nintendo would be on board with for a big console game.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Seeing Rabid Rosalina makes me think someone at Ubisoft has been watching Pringus Mcdingus

https://youtu.be/VVTmacRo-WA

Road Block on
  • Options
    Historically Smart Rabbids tend to be done with everything so a Rosalina Rabbid would fit right in

• Options
    New gameplay/combat trailer at yesterday's Nintendo Direct Partner Showcase for the Spark of Hope sequel. Release date is Oct 20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0ND9rdE3_I

Looks like Bowser is going to be joining the team as a playable character.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    The showcase today was great. Showed some neat information about the game. My only complaint is it looks like Yoshi/Rabbid Yoshi have been removed from the team. That makes me sad if it's the case. :(

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    The showcase today was great. Showed some neat information about the game. My only complaint is it looks like Yoshi/Rabbid Yoshi have been removed from the team. That makes me sad if it's the case. :(

One can only hope this means a DLC Rabbid Yoshi's Island campaign.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    skeldare wrote: »

One can only hope this means a DLC Rabbid Yoshi's Island campaign.

New character: a Rabbid dressed like baby Mario who cries if you move more than 3 squares away from it

Chall on
  • Options
    Watched the showcase last night after work.

Looks like they're doing a lot of new stuff with combat. Teamups and combo chains. And the Spark Powers seem to be pretty huge. I think this game is going to end up feeling quite a bit different from the first one.

• Options

My theory is they'll add more characters post launch. It seems like the game has more free form enemy spawns instead of the structured layout in one so its possible you can go wander around and get coins easier as well

• Options
    Reminder:

Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope releases on Oct 20, which is only fifteen days away!

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Also reminder: Ubisoft drops the prices on their games weirdly fast, even the successful ones. If you're willing to wait a bit the game will almost certainly go on sale for Black Friday, and should get even cheaper within the next few months. That's how the first one went.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Yeah... it's weird (considering that I loved the first game so much) but I'm still playing Xenoblade, and then that will roughly dovetail into Pokemon in November.

If it was a Nintendo game I'd just buy it at launch, but by the time M+R comes around in my "schedule" it will probably be under half price, and so...

• Options
    I'm on the last chapter of Xenoblade 3. So I'm hoping I'll be done before this hits. I need this game. The first is still one of my favorite Switch games.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Yeah... it's weird (considering that I loved the first game so much) but I'm still playing Xenoblade, and then that will roughly dovetail into Pokemon in November.

If it was a Nintendo game I'd just buy it at launch, but by the time M+R comes around in my "schedule" it will probably be under half price, and so...

With Persona 5 Royal coming out soon and Pokémon next month, I've just decided to wait on it.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    I played a few battles last night.

Free movement is an interesting addition to the game. You can move as much and reposition within your movement circle as much as you like, up until you shoot your primary weapon. So that means you can run around and dash enemies, use your special ability, use your Spark powers, and then hide behind cover, all before you take your primary shot. Each turn feels much bigger and more meaningful as a result.

It's been a year or more since I have played Mario+Rabbids 1, but I don't remember Beepo, the little hovering robot, having a voice in that game. In Mario+Rabbids 2 he is fully voiced, and his voice is very annoying. It's also pretty weird, because voiced lines seems really inconsistent. Beepo always speaks. And a few of the Rabbids have said partial lines. The Mario characters don't really speak at all, except for a few fairly generic Mario exclamations. The inconsistency in voiced lines is really apparent and really weird. And Beepo is super irritating.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    I'm facing some analysis paralysis on the difficulty settings. Granting that you can subdivide them if you want and revise at any time, the built-in hard mode ("Demanding") raises enemy stats like you'd expect, but also disables the partial healing you get after every battle. Losing a battle is relatively inconsequential (you get the option to retry, return to the world map, or quit to the title), but even still, the overall pace of the game feels slow enough that I don't really want to slow it down further.

Probably the biggest relief in the system is that you can make your battle party out of whoever you want. Being boring and conventional, that means I have instantly gone straight to Mario, Luigi, and Peach and kind of left the Rabbids behind. :lol:

• Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    Man, really excited and pleasantly surprised this got a sequel. A definite buy for me at some point.

Did they add any kind of randomization options for replayability? I think that was my biggest complaint with the first one. For XCOM and similar, the campaigns had some degree of random generation or at least random enemy seeding, so you had different experiences and challenges each time through. Since this had completely static level layouts and enemies each time, it felt possible to "solve" a battle rather than adapt to it.

• Options
    So, an update: I went back and re-played the first planet (chapter) on Demanding, and that felt a lot better than Average. Not getting free healing after each battle and taking more damage from enemies means you actually have to think about where you're standing and how you allocate your damage and manage your cooldowns.

As to the point above: I have definitely seen cases where returning to a map later had the enemies in different locations. In fact, I managed to win a survival challenge easily because it put all the ranged enemies on one side of the map, so all I had to do was book it to the other side and clear out the minion-level enemies and chill out. :lol:

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Also reminder: Ubisoft drops the prices on their games weirdly fast, even the successful ones. If you're willing to wait a bit the game will almost certainly go on sale for Black Friday, and should get even cheaper within the next few months. That's how the first one went.

They've trained their customers to wait, really. I only recently completed Mario Rabbids 1 (some months ago), so the sequel timing is perfect, but because I know about their pricing tendencies, there's zero reason for me to get it right now.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    My daughter really wants the game but she’s forgotten about it. Hopefully it stays that way u til Black Friday.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    TelMarine wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »

They've trained their customers to wait, really. I only recently completed Mario Rabbids 1 (some months ago), so the sequel timing is perfect, but because I know about their pricing tendencies, there's zero reason for me to get it right now.

Yeah there's no incentive for me to not wait until the dlc hits and there's a sale. I got the last one for like 20.bucks with everything

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I was really waffling on buying the game day 1 at full price or waiting for prices to drop relatively quickly but the reality is I'm about to head off on a week of vacation and this is the perfect plane/down time game so I picked it up for that reason alone.

Otherwise yeah I kind of do recommend waiting until the first sale since Ubisoft games generally go on sale quickly and often.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    So there's no post game content by default at all.

I still don't know what all the little spirals on the ground that kind of "glow" are. You don't get any kind of upgrade to do anything with those and I could never figure out how to interact with them.

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    So there's no post game content by default at all.

I still don't know what all the little spirals on the ground that kind of "glow" are. You don't get any kind of upgrade to do anything with those and I could never figure out how to interact with them.

I had to look them up to see but it seems they just give coins and the game just never explains what to do with them:

To interact with the spiral rock formation, Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope players need to perform a spinning move by moving the left control stick on the Switch controller in a circular motion very quickly. This will cause the character to spin around for a second, and if players perform this move on top of the rock formation, it'll disappear, and coins will pop out.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Oh for fucks sake.