Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Infinity] Holy shit it took us seven years to get to 100 pages, but we did it!

12345679»

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I watched a battle report with that went surprisingly quickly (though the did edit out most of the actual measuring), and they were throwing terms like "martial arts" around like the cashier at Five Guys yells "two patties!". I imagine something approaching the level of complexity of Final Fantasy Tactics with all these different skill sets.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Quantronic Dreamgirl Registered User regular
    edited February 6
    I watched a battle report with that went surprisingly quickly (though the did edit out most of the actual measuring), and they were throwing terms like "martial arts" around like the cashier at Five Guys yells "two patties!". I imagine something approaching the level of complexity of Final Fantasy Tactics with all these different skill sets.

Yeah, it's why most of the introductionary leagues are pretty strict about how complex a model you can bring in. Though nothing is individually super hard. Like Martial arts is short hand for Stealth, Courage and a modifier table for close combat based on the level.

EDIT: Except hacking, hacking is hard.

Albino Bunny on
    Solar
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Hacking ain't too bad it's just got redundant options

The game is insanely complex in gameplay and tactics but in terms of actual rules it's relatively simple for the core and the other rules work off that

Relatively simple says the man who doesn't have to explain using combat hackers to force HI into a choice between dodging and getting hacked or resetting and getting shot.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    You just explained it! See, easy ;)

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I learnt the Infinity tabletop game 90% by reading the wiki and playing games. I don't think I ever actually looked at the rule book, just the fluff book.

SolarAlbino Bunny
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    oh this reminds me I'd love to play some infinity via tabletop simulator with some folks sometime

• LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Relatively simple says the man who doesn't have to explain using combat hackers to force HI into a choice between dodging and getting hacked or resetting and getting shot.

What's the rule interaction here, you move into LoS and then they have to declare their ARO before they know what you're going to do? Why not just shoot, wouldn't shooting be a Face to Face roll vs. either hacking or shooting?

The idea that you have to declare your ARO after the first short kill of the active player's order, and the hard decisions it forces, is pretty common actually because of camo units. Anyone who's walking around as an active camo token will just step in front of you or even just wait on his first order, and force you to choose to attempt a Discover or something interactive. If they don't choose Discover you can just keep on walking past them, if they do go for the Discover then shoot them in the face unopposed, etc.

Lanlaorn wrote: »

What's the rule interaction here, you move into LoS and then they have to declare their ARO before they know what you're going to do? Why not just shoot, wouldn't shooting be a Face to Face roll vs. either hacking or shooting?

The idea that you have to declare your ARO after the first short kill of the active player's order, and the hard decisions it forces, is pretty common actually because of camo units. Anyone who's walking around as an active camo token will just step in front of you or even just wait on his first order, and force you to choose to attempt a Discover or something interactive. If they don't choose Discover you can just keep on walking past them, if they do go for the Discover then shoot them in the face unopposed, etc.

It does work more or less like the stealth interaction. It's just a weird, ad-hoc version that comes up in very niche situations.

The situation would be the hacker entering the HI's zone of control without being in the HI's line of fire. Whether through smoke (because MSV2 hackers do exist) or just somehow managing to be behind the HI without possessing stealth (which would prevent the ZoC mattering).

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit I'm a good person yes it's trueRegistered User regular
    Those are both itches I want to scratch, though I did assume the RPG would require minis for the more detailed combat scenes. It should arrive tomorrow so I’ll get to see. I’m still tempted to pick up Operation COLDFRONT, but I’ve got a lot of 40k in the painting queue still. Decisions, decisions...

Everything is mapped into vague zones (which are about the size of a large room but conform to geography/social links/network boundaries as needed). So most of my RPG action scenes wind up looking like this:

7bk30hxx5lbv.jpg

Mapping zones to movement is actually one of the weirder bits. If you try to do it so that each room is a zone you'll quickly wind up with absurdly short range guns. So it's important to kinda group stuff and remember it's perfectly fine for players to be moving within a zone narratively (and you can still make that zone 'bigger' just by spending heat on stuff that makes their movement not a difficulty zero action).

I want those TTS things <3

fuck gendered marketing
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against the Irish) Registered User regular
    90% of the game is move and shoot orders.

It's just that last 10% gets real fucking messy.

And the reason why having all the rules in an easily accessible wiki is such a genius move.

Solar
    Elldren wrote: »
    Those are both itches I want to scratch, though I did assume the RPG would require minis for the more detailed combat scenes. It should arrive tomorrow so I’ll get to see. I’m still tempted to pick up Operation COLDFRONT, but I’ve got a lot of 40k in the painting queue still. Decisions, decisions...

Everything is mapped into vague zones (which are about the size of a large room but conform to geography/social links/network boundaries as needed). So most of my RPG action scenes wind up looking like this:

7bk30hxx5lbv.jpg

Mapping zones to movement is actually one of the weirder bits. If you try to do it so that each room is a zone you'll quickly wind up with absurdly short range guns. So it's important to kinda group stuff and remember it's perfectly fine for players to be moving within a zone narratively (and you can still make that zone 'bigger' just by spending heat on stuff that makes their movement not a difficulty zero action).

I want those TTS things <3

If you search the workshop for like, infinity RPG or something similar it's pretty easy to find.

It's a really nice table with custom dice and linked momentum/heat trackers. The rest of it is just my shoddy drawing plus default assets of TTS.

Elldren
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I really need to play some actual games of Infinity. I've had a full list for Normads for like a year and I've never played.

Plus I also have that box that comes with the Celty biker that I need to expand on once I'm employed again.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.