As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Twilight Imperium: 4th edition - Game #1: And they're off!

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Technology

@Mojo_Jojo for last pick.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Diplomacy please carol

+1 TG from the card

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    @MrBody I should be at 3/4/1 for tokens

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    So I make the turn order:
    Me - Diplomacy (2)
    MrBlarney - Politics (3)
    Preda - Construction (4)
    Brody - Warfare (6)
    Elvenshae - Politics (7)
    Hedgethorn - Imperial (8)

Which means it is my action

Forgot my infantry from Infantry II again. Can I put the one infantry on my card on Jol, please

Also: Play Diplomacy. Target my homeworld and put a token from everybody else there. No refresh as there's nothing to refresh

Nobody is eligible to take the secondary as far as I can tell, but we're getting to a critical point so I won't assume and maybe somebody has a plan based around getting rid of strategy counters or an action card for an immediate exhaust or something
    @MrBlarney @Preda @Brody @Elvenshae @Hedgethorn
    For the Diplomacy secondary

• PredaPreda Registered User regular
    Pass.

• HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Pass.

Pass

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

If you refresh a refreshed planet, does it count as double-secret refreshed?

Pass.

• MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    No Leadership, huh? No more tokens until the Strategy Phase, and the game might be over then.

Pass on the Diplomacy Secondary

I should get out of Mecatol Rex and I'm quite worried about Jol-Nar now. My chances aren't especially high, but I need to take them.

Activate the Wellon System. (TP 3 --> 2)
    Move in 2 Dreadnoughts, 2 Cruisers, 1 Carrier, 6 Fighters, and 3 Infantry from Mecatol Rex, with 1 Cruiser loading 1 Infantry from Tar'Mann as part of its movement, and move in 1 Dreadnought and 1 Infantry from each of Bereg and Lirta IV (2 Infantry total) via Gravity Drive.

I assume @Mojo_Jojo will use Space Cannon Offense with his PDS units, but what of you, @Hedgethorn? I hope that you'll see the benefits of staying your hand in this combat.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    I have a couple of cards to play but I'll need a moment as I'm rushing around getting something finished

So I presume this must be trying to get MrBlarney victory somehow but it looks like he's just handed the game to Hedgethorn?

Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    So I presume this must be trying to get MrBlarney victory somehow but it looks like he's just handed the game to Hedgethorn?
    How dramatic. I don't really have any victory chances while both you and Hedgethorn are ahead of me. I also don't think it's fair to say that I've 'handed the game to Hedgethorn' when there's still plenty that the other players can do. This Action Phase is still in its early stages, after all. But I do need to do something to make sure that I can see that next round and get my chance.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    No PDS fire.

Gain 4TG from my racial tech
    Play Experimental Battlestation

Experimental Battlestation- After a system is activated, choose one of your space docks either in or adjacent to the activated system. That dock uses space cannon 5 (x3) against ships in the active system

I'll hold on for any sabotage before rolling

MrBlarney wrote: »
    How dramatic. I don't really have any victory chances while both you and Hedgethorn are ahead of me. I also don't think it's fair to say that I've 'handed the game to Hedgethorn' when there's still plenty that the other players can do. This Action Phase is still in its early stages, after all. But I do need to do something to make sure that I can see that next round and get my chance.

Hedgethorn wins immediately if he takes Metacol Rex and plays Imperial.

I play before Hedgethorn. He will not take Mecatol... Or if for some extreme action card/luck combo he beats me, he still lose his support for the throne point.

Preda wrote: »

I play before Hedgethorn. He will not take Mecatol... Or if for some extreme action card/luck combo he beats me, he still lose his support for the throne point.

Oh, I'd missed he had your support for the throne completely.

Okay cool. I really thought the game had just ended on a weird wimper

edited February 2018
    Yeah, if Preda doesn't do the expected thing of marching his units into the just-vacated Mecatol Rex, or Brody for not making any blocking efforts, then you can blame them for throwing victory, not me.

Play no Sabotage.

You mentioned a 'couple' cards to play, @Mojo_Jojo. Anything else to declare before resolving Space Cannon Offense?

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    Not at the space cannon step, no

I guess we're ready to fire cannon. I doubt that anyone's going to intervene with a Sabotage on my behalf.

Space Cannon Offense

Jol-Nar has 3 rolls from Experimental Battlestation and 3 rolls from 2 PDS units, plus Plasma Scoring.
    All rolls are at -1 to hit due to Antimass Deflectors.

Geth roll 3d10t6+3d10t6 for Jol-Nar Space Cannon Offense

Jol-Nar Space Cannon Offense:
    3d10t6+3d10t6 3 [3d10t6=10, 2, 5] [3d10t6=7, 4, 8]

4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited February 2018
    Three hits, so I'm damaging one Super-Dreadnought II and destroying two Fighters.

I've nothing to declare for the first round of combat. @Mojo_Jojo, anything on your side?

EDIT: Slight change in hit allocation, sorry.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    I had planned to use my Graviton Laser but no biggie

Play skilled retreat
    Move all space units back to Fria/Abyz
    Leave the ground troops behind to die like heroes

Skilled Retreat- Play at the start of a space combat. Retreat all your units to an adjacent system.

@MrBlarney (or anybody else who feels strongly) for sabotage

Oh, I thought that your "Not at the space cannon step, no" implied not playing Graviton Laser System. You will undoubtedly get another chance at with your return strike.

Declare no sabotage.

I'll drop all six of my Infantry onto Wellon after allowing a little bit of time to pass (i.e. getting me some sleep).

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Sorry, I fudged the text a little on that Skilled Retreat card. I didn't have the exact text in front of me and I meant to convey that it worked like a normal retreat just at the start of combat.

The full text: At the start of a combat round: Move all of your ships from the active system into an adjacent system that does not contain another player's ships; the space combat ends in a draw. Then, place a command token from your reinforcements in that system.

edited February 2018
    Okay. That doesn't change anything thought, right? It just explicitly states I have to pop a token in Abyz/Fria

Mojo_Jojo on
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Yeah I was just worried you made the move thinking it wouldn't put a CC in the system.

Whoops, forgot to officially note my invasion earlier this morning.

Land 6 Infantry on Wellon.

@Mojo_Jojo for Space Cannon Defense and any other defensive activities.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Aside from firing PDS I've got nothing.

I'm not in a good place to roll, so feel free to take charge

Alright then, invasion combat is on.

Space Cannon Defense

Jol-Nar has 1 defending PDS unit on Wellon. +1 die roll for Plasma Scoring.

Geth roll 2d10t5 for Jol-Nar

Jol-Nar:
    2d10t5 1 [2d10t5=2, 5]

4463rwiq7r47.png
    One hit, one L1z1x Infantry destroyed.

Combat Round 1

L1z1x has 5 Infantry II.
    Jol-Nar has 4 Infantry II. (-1 to hit due to Fragile)

Geth roll 5d10t7 for L1z1x
    Geth roll 4d10t8 for Jol-Nar

L1z1x:
    5d10t7 3 [5d10t7=6, 4, 7, 8, 10]
    Jol-Nar:
    4d10t8 1 [4d10t8=4, 10, 6, 7]

4463rwiq7r47.png
    L1z1x scores 3 hits, destroying 3 Jol-Nar Infantry.
    Jol-Nar scores 1 hit, destroying 1 L1z1x Infantry.

Combat Round 2

L1z1x has 4 Infantry II.
    Jol-Nar has 1 Infantry II. (-1 to hit due to Fragile)

Geth roll 4d10t7 for L1z1x
    Geth roll 1d10t8 for Jol-Nar

L1z1x:
    4d10t7 2 [4d10t7=2, 1, 9, 8]
    Jol-Nar:
    1d10t8 0 [1d10t8=3]

4463rwiq7r47.png
    L1z1x scores 2 hits, destroying the last Jol-Nar Infantry; combat resolves in favor of L1z1x.
    L1z1x uses Assimilate to replace the Jol-Nar Space Dock and PDS unit with their own.

2 L1z1x Infantry II and 4 Jol-Nar Infantry II roll for Gen Synthesis.

Geth roll 2d10t6 for L1z1x Gen Synthesis
    Geth roll 4d10t6 for Jol-Nar Gen Synthesis

L1z1x Gen Synthesis:
    2d10t6 2 [2d10t6=8, 6]
    Jol-Nar Gen Synthesis:
    4d10t6 1 [4d10t6=4, 3, 9, 2]

4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited February 2018
    L1z1x places 2 Infantry on their race sheet, while Jol-Nar places 1.

Continuing with the production step, Exhaust Mecatol Rex (1R) +1R from Sarween Tools to build 1 Fighter (1R) and 2 Infantry (1R) at Wellon. (Production limit is 1 + 2 = 3 units.)

If there's no questions about what is where, I think it's time for @Preda to act.

EDIT: Changed which planet got exhausted 'cause I just realized "use it [before you] lose it".

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    Activate Mecatol rex. Activate Lazax folding gate and move everything but the cruiser (3 dreadnought, Flagship, 3 fighters and GF) from beta to Mecatol through wormhole, than move carrier with 3 fighters and 2GF from Zhobat. Land all 3 GF on the planet. Activate reclamation and put both a space dock and a PDS on the planet.

@Brody should be next

@MrBlarney for PDS fire

Nope, he doesn't have pds2... That cannon didn't convert so well.

Wow, I had no idea it was possible to ignore the siren call of the deep space cannon.

My mistake.

edited February 2018
    Activate Centauri/Graal. Move three Cruiser's from Mekhar Xull, bringing three fighters with them. Move two Dreadnoughts from Starpoint/New Albion, bringing two GF. Move Destroyer from Hyperion.

@Hedgethorn for PDS fire.

Brody on

We should probably make sure to tag @Elvenshae if we're doing any attacking systems to check the minister of peace approves

edited February 2018
    Edit: Struckout because I was looking at the wrong system.

I count 5 PDS adjacent, so with Plasma Scoring that's six dice rolls?

Geth, roll 6d10t6 for space cannon mayhem.

space cannon mayhem:
    6d10t6 2 [6d10t6=8, 1, 2, 10, 2, 5]

Hedgethorn on
    @Brody to assign two hits.