As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV] Job Action trailer out now. So shiny!

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Larlar
    yeah it looks different from the one I get in PotD, oh well

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    Au Ra
    I got to 40 % at proto ozma and died no cool mount for me

• Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    Hyur
    is there a way to configure ACT so it doesn't lag the fuck out of my game? because it seems to be doing that.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Hyur
    I just started playing this over the weekend (on PS4) and I'm not sure I fully grasp what I've gotten myself into here yet. It's a lot.

There's just...so much. And I suspect I still ain't seen the half of it.

It is a lot. Like, a lot a lot. Like, there's a complete Mahjong game in there for some reason. Heck, painting your chocobo is a complete bizarre system.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    We have dates on the new data centers:

EU: April 2 (Transfer window 4/2 - 4/15)
    NA: April 23 (Transfer window 4/23 - 5/6)

During the transfer window, all EU/NA players can transfer for free, with the gil cap lifted. Also, homeowners and apartment dwellers will be compensated for their housing.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
  • Options
    edited March 2019
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Larlar
    yeah it looks different from the one I get in PotD, oh well

The one from the opening cut scene is based on your class weapon from 2.0, which can get pretty glow-y. Not too difficult to farm up these days either.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Larlar
    Is that the relic weapon you have to do quests for the drunk blacksmith for? The Relic Reborn quests? The model I can preview from doing (the first step of?) that didn't seem to be shaped like the one in the cutscenes at all.
    cutscene light WHM staff:
    a6q79km4ds56.png

relic reborn WHM staff:
    4nqnlxpzx751.png

Actually now that I'm looking at a screenshot of it, the cutscene weapon seems like it might be a quick hack of one of the regular staff models, with the wood texture replaced with a glowy white energy one and some spikes stuck in the crook. The little orb in the middle of the crook is a bell in the normal textured version.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Larlar
    Huh, weird. I haven't started a character off as anything but Lancer (which shows up with Gae Bolg) in a long time.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Larlar
    people have really got my expectations for the 3.0+ story high now because going through 2.0 and 2.5 I've been really super enjoying them a lot. And I always heard they were supposed to be the extreme nadir of the game that people had to slog through to get to the good stuff.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Larlar
    heh I was trying to figure out why the rogues in the MSQ didn't specially recognize me as a fellow rogue, and I guess it's because this quest was added in 2.2, but playable rogues weren't added until 2.4. That also explains why rogue/ninja are not selectable starting jobs despite being acquired identically to the other ARR jobs, but differently from the jobs added by the expansions.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Larlar
    I reached 30 with pugilist, and monk doesn't seem as bad to me in complexity as I was fearing. Seems like at the core of the rotation they get a rear-bonus 3 part combo and a flank-bonus 3 part combo that you swap back and forth between to keep the self-buff and DOT refreshed and keep greased lightning stacked (and an AOE 3 part combo for AOE situations), then a few off-global-cooldown attacks to weave in and a couple weirdo systems you use occasionally?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Roegadyn
    Well, you only need to use dragon kick and demolish every third combo or so, and twin serpents every other.

Also since bootshine gets free crits in opo-opo stance, Arm of the Destroyer is really only kinda useful on REALLY big packs.

Monk is weird.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Hyur
    monk is kinda situational and I found it to be overwhelming at 50, which is why I when I picked up samurai I never looked back

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Hyur
    turtleant wrote: »
    Well, you only need to use dragon kick and demolish every third combo or so, and twin serpents every other.

Also since bootshine gets free crits in opo-opo stance, Arm of the Destroyer is really only kinda useful on REALLY big packs.

Monk is weird.

Yeah, the simplest way to do it is to alternate rear and flank, but optimizing requires switching more. The other three hits are all situational.

Their other main systems are stances (until you get to 60+ this is "be in fire stance"), and chakra (which is basically "hit the button for chakra during downtime"), and then at 70 you get an oGCD that lets your party charge it.

The big thing is just the stances and managing their combo or lack thereof to keep up the various effects. It is, frankly, too much complexity for me. NIN is much easier to understand (press the combo ender for what you need to refresh, or just hit Aeolian Edge for damage, and do everything else on cooldown basically).

DRG also has two different combos, but those are fixed combos and iirc, it's basically you use one to set debuffs/DoT, and then use the other until they're about to expire. The exact number of times through changes as you get skills.

If I had to rank the complexity of weaponskill combos for the melee classes... MNK>SAM>NIN=DRG or so. NIN's stuff doesn't line up for refreshing as neatly as DRG's does (Heavy Thrust>second combo, everything is started... and has the same duration basically on everything so you refresh it all with the same loop).

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Au Ra
    You basically only want to be in fire stance if you don't care about being optimal

• Options
    Larlar
    Mysst wrote: »
    monk is kinda situational and I found it to be overwhelming at 50, which is why I when I picked up samurai I never looked back

huh really? samurai looked more complicated to me once you get the sword gauge skills.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Mysst wrote: »

huh really? samurai looked more complicated to me once you get the sword gauge skills.

In reality, there's only a couple of kenki skills you're using on the regular - the direct damage to one target, and the iajutsu buff - and they're all oGCD, so you're weaving them into your main sen cycles.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Roegadyn
    SAM isn't super complex, but also it brings absolutely no utility so if there dps is low they're kinda dead weight.
    Also optimizing third eye usage is annoying.

The hardest thing about DRG is your basic rotation takes 8 godamn hotkeys on your bar, and having to switch position during the end of every combo for wheeling thrust and fang and claw is annoying.

Personally I think NIN is by far the least stressful melee dps. At least once you learn the ninjitsu system anyway. Also it's like Bard in that you bring so much party support people won't care if you aren't dps-ing perfectly. Just land sneak attack and everyone loves you.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Elezen
    I've been thinking about bringing up Nin for my DPS job, been playing Paladin forever

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    I played this for several hours after work yesterday and never even left the Golden Saucer.

The hooks, they are in me.

• Options
    Larlar
    so is it non-optimal to play monk like:

position at rear > bootshine > true strike > demolish > position at flank > dragon kick > twin snakes > snap punch > repeat

the durations of the buffs and debuffs seem to line up pretty close that way.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Hyur

position at rear > bootshine > true strike > demolish > position at flank > dragon kick > twin snakes > snap punch > repeat

I think what happens is that at endgame gear you can get your GCD short enough to get more uses of the non buff/debuff hits for more damage.

• Options
    Roegadyn
    Polaritie wrote: »

I think what happens is that at endgame gear you can get your GCD short enough to get more uses of the non buff/debuff hits for more damage.

Or just once you can have 3 greased lightning stacks really. Monk go fast.

Also, like, I know it's mean, but putting an empowered arrow card on a monk is the funniest thing. Just watch that tp bar go away.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Miqo'te
    From what I recall you want to think of each rotation through the 3 stances as a single cycle. Ideally, if your buffs and debuffs somehow lasted forever, you would just use [bootshine > true strike > snap punch] each cycle since those 3 weapon skills do the most damage. Of course in reality you need to upkeep Twin Snakes, Dragon Kick, and Demolish without letting them fall off, and the goal should be to get each of these up as soon as possible. Twin Snakes and Dragon Kick need to be refreshed ever other cycle; Demolish every third cycle. In practice, assuming you start with no stance and without using Perfect Balance, you'll do something like [Bootshine > Twin Snakes > Demolish] into [Dragon Kick > True Strike > Snap Punch] into [Bootshine > Twin Snakes > Snap Punch] into [Dragon Kick > True Strike > Demolish] into [Bootshine > Twin Snakes > Snap Punch] you get the idea.

Note that this all gets a lot easier once you hit level 52 and can shift forms before a pull; then you can start with [Dragon Kick > Twin Snakes > Demolish] and keep it so that your two important flank skills are always used in the same cycle. Once you get into learning Perfect Balance openers you can optimize everything a bit more; then eventually you hit 70 and maybe want to learn how to use Tornado Kick and everything goes to complete shit. For now though you can get by with just doing the basic rotation and upkeeping all your buffs/debuffs.

Monk Basics super simplified version tl;dr: 1) Is Dragon Kick about to fall off? If so use it, otherwise hit Bootshine 2) Is Twin Snakes about to fall off? If so use it, otherwise hit True Strike 3) Is Demolish about to fall off? If so use it, otherwise hit Snap Punch 4) Go back to step 1, use everything else on cooldown (except Tornado Kick, don't press that).

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Larlar
    let's say hypothetically I'm going to say "fuck this" to one of either the rear/flank movement requirements or maintaining perfect buff/debuff cycles with nothing refreshed too early. Which one will hurt my DPS more to ignore? Probably the cycles?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Uh, I'm not sure but that sounds right.

The general rule is to just Always Be Punching, so don't like delay attacking to ensure that you're hitting positionals. Keeping the global cool down rolling comes first, then buff/debuff uptime, then optimizing positionals.

And remember that the zone for flank attacks is really generous. You don't have to be all the way to the side; as long as you're hitting the green part of this image it still counts. I like trying to camp on that sweet spot at the edge of the rear/flank position and just move a bit in each direction when I need to.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Miqo'te
    The Good King Moggle Mog music is Extremely Good, holy moly
    That whole fight is great.

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    The Good King Moggle Mog music is Extremely Good, holy moly
    That whole fight is great.

counterpoint: Extreme Garuda is fucking stupid bullshit, keeping these pillars alive is impossible

• Options
    Larlar
    (the good king moggle mog theme is a ripoff of This Is Halloween)
    there's another boss theme later on that's pretty clearly a ripoff of Powerman 5000's When World Collide too but I don't know of any other songs like that

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Au Ra
    The most banging song is the second half of Shiva

• Options
    Hyur
    Madican wrote: »
    The most banging song is the second half of Shiva

There's a reason that mount is the only one I keep directly on my bars (I also have flying roulette set).

Alexander has some real good tracks as well.

• Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    There's a lot of really good songs in this game. My second motivation for leveling crafters is to make Orchestrion scrolls.

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Au Ra
    How much longer until we get back to pa-paya, paya papaya paya pa-paya?

• Options
    Roegadyn
    SabreMau wrote: »
    How much longer until we get back to pa-paya, paya papaya paya pa-paya?

Easter event i think. So about a month.
    there's another boss theme later on that's pretty clearly a ripoff of Powerman 5000's When World Collide too but I don't know of any other songs like that

Ripoff is kinda a mean way to look at them. It's not like their stealing anything.

Also that Sephirot song is amazing. Especially if, say, you find the hidden orchestrion in the company house and switch it to loop that while no one else is around.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Hey y'all I just started playing this and it seems neat

I'm playing a Lalafell archer named Mikklesen Picklesen

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Larlar
    turtleant wrote: »

Ripoff is kinda a mean way to look at them. It's not like their stealing anything.

Also that Sephirot song is amazing. Especially if, say, you find the hidden orchestrion in the company house and switch it to loop that while no one else is around.

I don't wanna get in a big argument about this because I don't care that much, but I was already going easy on them by calling them ripoffs rather than plagiarized.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.