As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV] Job Action trailer out now. So shiny!

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    I keep laughing at Yda's.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Larlar
    I love that Tataru description.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Hyur
    IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN URIANGER

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    minor spoiler but the way Urianger finishes every single cutscene he's in with a line that basically amounts to "welp, I'm heading back to the waking sands so I can still hand out all these side quests" is extremely silly

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    We've got something to look forward to for this year's Starlight Celebration:

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    The next set of FanFests have been announced. US is Vegas, back at the Rio (I'm of two minds about this one); EU is Paris, and JP is Tokyo. Interestingly, they flipped EU and JP back in the order, which means JP gets the honor of hosting the final expansion trailer (US, of course, gets the expansion announcement.)

US is 11/16/18-11/17/18, so start planning now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb-pAhFm3rM

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Roegadyn
    speaking of expansions, my girlfriend and I are in stormblood now

we just
    won the tournament thing to become the rulers of all the tribesmen, and are about to head back to doma

am I right in thinking that this and the grand melee in heavensward were tutorials for pvp modes?

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Roegadyn
    I would like more PvE content like those please

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Hyur
    Finally finished the Crystal Tower for the first time!
    Managed to snag both the Onion Knight and the Poof of Darkness minions, so hey!

I really enjoyed that content. I guess it's commonly-run, because everybody wanted to zerg all 3 parts of it with barely a tip about what to do / not do (even in response to "Hey I'm new and also one of only 3 tanks"). But it managed to be enjoyable despite that. I liked the boss-rush approach, the environments were gorgeous, and even the plot was pretty damn good. I'm totally unsold on what looks to be a turn to kinda-sorta-anti-hero by Nero; it's utterly unearned, and it's still stupid he was permitted to be anywhere near the operation. But everything else was fantastic.

Cloud of Darkness in particular was a great final boss. She was dangerous enough that she could down a tank pretty quickly that got even a single Vulnerability stack, so I wound up being actually helpful when the main tank went down. We did have a wipe there (two tanks went down, and in the chaos that followed, people didn't cover the meteors), but it made it all feel appropriately epic and difficult despite the zerging.

We, uh, also wiped on Angra Mainyu for some reason, which had several people guffawing about having not seen such a thing since they first ran it 3 years ago. I know I got killed by Doom several times, and I pulled the guy into a corner once, but otherwise I don't think it was entirely my fault at least? The second run was substantially more successful anyway, so I guess some of the sleepwalking vets woke up and realized they had to cover for some noobs.

Also saw an epic healer hat drop in there that I want to get some day. That thing is boss.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Hyur
    The Sauce wrote: »
    Finally finished the Crystal Tower for the first time!
    Managed to snag both the Onion Knight and the Poof of Darkness minions, so hey!

I really enjoyed that content. I guess it's commonly-run, because everybody wanted to zerg all 3 parts of it with barely a tip about what to do / not do (even in response to "Hey I'm new and also one of only 3 tanks"). But it managed to be enjoyable despite that. I liked the boss-rush approach, the environments were gorgeous, and even the plot was pretty damn good. I'm totally unsold on what looks to be a turn to kinda-sorta-anti-hero by Nero; it's utterly unearned, and it's still stupid he was permitted to be anywhere near the operation. But everything else was fantastic.

Cloud of Darkness in particular was a great final boss. She was dangerous enough that she could down a tank pretty quickly that got even a single Vulnerability stack, so I wound up being actually helpful when the main tank went down. We did have a wipe there (two tanks went down, and in the chaos that followed, people didn't cover the meteors), but it made it all feel appropriately epic and difficult despite the zerging.

We, uh, also wiped on Angra Mainyu for some reason, which had several people guffawing about having not seen such a thing since they first ran it 3 years ago. I know I got killed by Doom several times, and I pulled the guy into a corner once, but otherwise I don't think it was entirely my fault at least? The second run was substantially more successful anyway, so I guess some of the sleepwalking vets woke up and realized they had to cover for some noobs.

Also saw an epic healer hat drop in there that I want to get some day. That thing is boss.

Really enjoying seeing your impressions as you play, seeing this stuff for the first time.

You'll see more zerging like that in the post-HW Alliance Raids, too, since there is a Duty Finder roulette strictly for Alliance Raids. People run it for experience and tomes and such, so they want to do it fast.

• Options
    Miqo'te
    You tank the eyeball in the middle so everyone can alternate between the red and white fields.
    No one can look at the boss when he casts doom. If you do, you get hit by doom and have to use one of the glowing runes to remove it.

And math kills.
    Lvl 150 flare adds the levels of everyone in the circle for the spell.
    Same with lvl 100 death.
    If the person rooted in the center is the only person in the circle, the spells do nothing.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    AHHH I wanna use the free login thing to do the christmas event but your account has to be inactive for at least 30 days and I don't remember when exactly I started taking a break.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Try and login anyway, worst case you can't and life goes on.

sig.gif
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Sorce wrote: »
    Try and login anyway, worst case you can't and life goes on.

Well yeah, I did. I think maybe my sub used to renew on the 22nd, so I'll try again then.

Must have present bear.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Hyur
    I think I really hate myself, because I've decided to go after the Zodiac gear for my job.

I already have the Relic gear, which was worth the effort because it made a Trial available, and those are always fun. The Zenith upgrades were essentially free. But the next step -- ooh, that's a doozy.

I'm sure everyone here is familiar, but basically: I have to grind FATEs in twelve areas to get a unique drop in each one. Drop rate is somewhere around 25% per FATE. And I have to do it with my relic gear equipped, so no shenanigans like using this opportunity to level up a different job (well, I could since it works with any relic weapon equipped, but that would mean the other job is also 50+ so that doesn't help).

And that's just for the next step! There's like 4 more steps after that, and I didn't read ahead to see what they are yet, because I'm afraid it would demoralize me and I'd just stop.

Why bother with all this? Certainly not for the power -- I'm currently using a vendor sword from Heavensward that's stronger than the maxed-out stats from the Zodiac line (since this was all pre-expansions). I didn't check the shield, so maybe that would be more powerful than the Noct Shield I'm currently still using (haven't nagged anything in Heavensward yet that's better).

One reason to do it is, of course, the glamours. I actually like the look of the end-line Paladin weapon, and it's also iconic FF gear, so I wants it.

More than that, though -- I just want to see the content. 3 years ago, people were doing this for the end-game. I can't transport myself back to that time, and not many people are doing it now, but I can still participate and get a sense of what it was like. Besides, I haven't actually done a lot of FATE grinding! I had to do it to get into the Crystal Tower, but that's pretty much been it. There's better ways to level up other jobs nowadays. So there's tons of FATEs I've never even seen. And sometimes you just want to shut off your brain and do some mindless grinding -- something that I haven't actually done any of at all in FF14 thus far.

There's a separate chain available at level 60 for different weapons, and I could skip the Zodiac bit and go for those. But why do that when I can enjoy both?

We'll see how long I actually stick with this, of course :)

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    Hyur
    I considered doing the Anima for Machinist recently for a glamour, but oh man I don't think I'm down for any of that right now.

• Options
    Miqo'te
    It's shiny and back in 2.0, the relics could be customized to be BiS.
    The bullshit was intended to make it similar in the amount of time spent that raiders did for their drops.

The idea was you traded difficulty for time.

Now you can just do it for glamour.
    It lets you skip the fate grind of the Anima relic, but it's now a hell of a lot easier to just get the fate drops.

Hopefully the Stormblood relics are completely decoupled from how difficult the 8 man savage raids are. I really don't want to have to dump all of my tomes into a weapon over several months when I'm also trying to gear up other jobs.

• Options
    Hyur
    Yeah, for the first time I'm actually interested in the post-game, and I don't want to mess with raiding, so I hope the SB relic isn't a total pain.

• Options
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Au Ra
    did y'all get your bears?

no you won’t return my calls

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Roegadyn
    did y'all get your bears?

no you won’t return my calls

:o

• Options
    Roegadyn
    In other news, I've got my Warrior up to level NICE and story-wise I'm about to go investigate a broken cannon

• Options
    Hyur
    Got my 12 Atmas for my relic weapon upgrade. That didn't take long at all! Not so bad, not so bad. I can do this.

What's next?
    Buy 9 books, 1 at a time, for 100 Poetics each.

Each book has you kill 3 of like 9 specific monsters, do 3 dungeons, 3 FATEs, and 3 leves, in order to get +2 to a stat on your relic.

Do all 9 to get to the next level.
    Oh. Wow. Uh, okay.

I can do that! That's actually not too bad; it's a lot of variety. Camping FATEs kind of sucks, but the rest is pretty cool I think. I've actually never done any leves, so this is new gameplay.

I... I wonder what's ahead....?
    Meld 75 Materia to

*endless screaming*

• Options
    Miqo'te
    Yep. Just smash whatever you want into the weapon to hit 75 and then steamroll the 4 man Ifrit while watching Netflix.

I watched a lot of Criminal Minds while making a second Zodiac.

The Zodiac weapon quest is pretty bad.

• Options
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Hyur
    back in the day you wanted it to be good because it affected the end stats, but now the ARR relic is just glamour, so slam 75 +1 wind resistance materia for all its worth. mad easy

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Larlar
    I thought it was restricted to secondary stats like determination.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Hyur
    point still stands, slap cheap bullshit in it

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Miqo'te
    In case anyone is looking for a spreadsheet to track components for ARR and HW relics, here are the two I am using:

HW: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jLeBRJX9gGmHLtsQpgELAcQxY2weNhBqZ8DrMRKIrVM
    ARR: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bOW9oO2vg3d60D7h-7q4YfqbRqT4mazJa5boIKTDSAk

It tracks most things. I'm just doing all the ARR ones at once while working on other stuff. Once you've completed it one time, you can do lots of other parts out of order and/or stockpile items from your poetic purchases.

• Options
    Miqo'te
    point still stands, slap cheap bullshit in it

Yeah, my Ragnarok Zeta had a spread of all available secondary stats.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Yukira wrote: »

Not really. The quests as originally designed were reasonable, and meant to be done over a period of time. It's just that now, when you're doing them all at once, they feel like busy work.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Hyur
    So far the Books are reasonably fun to do. Though optional, each has a bit of a "teleport optimization" component to try to minimize costs, which has me approaching it kind of like a sim game? It's taking roughly 2 hours per book, so that's like 20 hours for the whole set. Probably a bit less overall, depending on how lucky I get with FATEs. Though, that's not including if I have to spend any extra time accumulating Poetics. I haven't really been paying attention to how many of those I'm getting per dungeon run.

I'm more terrified of the cost and busy-work of attaching 75 Materias with Alexandrite or whatever that extra component is. But I'll cross that bridge later.

I'm also worried about over-leveling. I'm already 57, a few levels ahead of where I should be for Heavensward. Experience isn't stellar for these things, but it isn't negligible either, especially when it results in me hitting Challenge Log entries.

• Options
    Miqo'te

Not really. The quests as originally designed were reasonable, and meant to be done over a period of time. It's just that now, when you're doing them all at once, they feel like busy work.

They were bullshit back then too. It was really exciting to wait for a rare fate to spawn, hoping the right leve quest would pop up or killing 10 of a mob that had 3 spawns.

Having the books right after the Atma grind was a bad choice. Especially at 1500 tomes a pop for the book when you were also gearing up alt jobs.

• Options
    Miqo'te
    The books is probably the worst part of the entire chain, since you can't do them in tandem and it involves waiting for a specific fate to spawn that is on a 30 minute to 1 hour timer.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Hyur
    hoi, who isn't in Bread but IS on Sargantas and wants to dungo and whatnot

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017

They were bullshit back then too. It was really exciting to wait for a rare fate to spawn, hoping the right leve quest would pop up or killing 10 of a mob that had 3 spawns.

Having the books right after the Atma grind was a bad choice. Especially at 1500 tomes a pop for the book when you were also gearing up alt jobs.

I'm glad they nerfed that. back then having to get a ton more enemies + that fate that could take 10 hours or more to spawn suuuuuucked. There was the two in s thanlan that took forever and the you had the fate in coerthas to kill the four bosses at the time that sometimes you could not do if you didn't have enough people there to help out.

Now, its just when you have to do light grind do you really fade in and out of consciousness. That is the most monotonous shit.

Jakarrd on
    Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    Miqo'te
    I went through like a season of Criminal Minds on the light grind for my Ragnarok.

I've pretty much blocked out Longinus.

• Options
    Roegadyn

my girlfriend and I hit 70, immediately went to finish our job questlines, and had to take a break because she has things to do

we're in the home stretch now (discounting 4.1 story content and the bajillion side quests and optional dungeons we skipped past and leveling alt classes and and and)

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Au Ra
    i should probably get back to doing story content

but dammit these sahaugin need these eggs

liEt3nH.png
This discussion has been closed.