Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

19495969798100»

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I know I'm cutting into a conversation here, but I am having a really hard time resisting the urge to buy DOOM for the switch, despite already having it on PC and it costing $60.

It looks crazy impressive for what they've done, regardless of its flaws, and I want to reward that. But $60. :(

I'll be super curious how it sells, and how Skyrim sells too. Just seeing DOOM in action makes me feel like they could easily do Fallout 4 on the Switch if they wanted, whereas before DOOM was shown off I really doubted it. I mean, I still suppose it is not a given, because the id tech engine is far more efficient and scalable out of the box, plus (my understanding anyway) it using vulcan is super friendly with the Switch; neither of which is true for the heavily modified gamebryo engine FO4 uses.

It is a super catch-22 though with the Bethesda support. I really want to support their support, but I also don't really want to rebuy games I already own, at full price. But I will be really bummed if they sell poorly and Bethesda gives up, if I don't show my support. First world problems and all that but bleh.

I have a depressing suspicion DOOM will do pretty poorly, Skyrim will do ok, but neither will do well enough for Bethesda to really put more effort into ports after Wolfenstein. I really hope I'm wrong. I know several indie developers have said that they've done exceptionally well with their Switch games, better than expected in some cases by long shots (binding of isaac warranting a second physical print, Steamworld Dig 2 selling more on the switch at launch than the first game sold at all, or something like that); but I don't know how that translates to 3rd party published games. DOOM, for what it is worth, seems to be just getting across the board praise, and hopefully that will propel it. Honestly, I can't think of a game in ages that has "analysis" be so honest in all of its drawbacks and shortcomings, yet still universally seem to be still super stoked and positive about it. I kind of wish it had come out a different time of the year, though, so it could be notable in its own right without being a face in the crowd of holiday releases.

It'll be interesting, no matter what, to see what happens.

Doom is #3 on the eshop right now. Many are reporting that their local game store is sold out of copies. Not exactly scientific but that should give you some indication of how it's selling.

As far as the game itself it plays and looks great on the handheld screen, not so much in docked mode. Multiplayer is fun and playable in handheld mode but you'll be at a disadvantage vs people playing in tablet and docked mode.

Also turning off motion blur and chromatic abberation reportedly makes the game look better.

edit: Here's a video from Digital Foundry that breaks down performance on the Switch:

https://youtu.be/PqnUHecJ01U

Their conclusion is that it's flawed, but impressive nonetheless.

I had actually just watched that video before I posted earlier. My take on the vibe of DF (who I have a love/hate relationship with) was "yeah they made this compromise, this sacrifice, reduced this, but man, this is pretty cool regardless, right?" Which I fully agreed with. I think it would have been fine for the Switch DOOM to be at a premium, simply because, yeah, there is almost nothing else comparable as far as fully featured FPS games that are actually great, for any portable. I feel like what they did deserves a premium; however not a fully priced game premium, for something that is ultimately a year old, and substantially cheaper on every other platform. $40 base would have been a sweeter spot, I think; but I don't know the details of their finances and costs associated with the port, or their forecasted sales when they determined the price. I would also be unsurprised if it was just that some execs didn't really factor any of that into the decision and just slapped $60 on it just because. :rotate:

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    the 3d definitely was a problem for the 3ds because two extra cameras aren't cheap and the 3ds nearly tanked because it was too damn expensive. nintendo had to eat a loss on each unit, which they never do, just to keep the thing afloat. both handhelds that generation had some serious design flaws

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    People keep saying ‘who would pay more for the same game on the Switch I can get cheaper on console/PC?’ but the evidence from Indies is the answer is lots of people. We’ll see when Doom/Skyrim numbers come out but I’m pretty confident it will translate over to big budget games.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    People keep saying ‘who would pay more for the same game on the Switch I can get cheaper on console/PC?’ but the evidence from Indies is the answer is lots of people. We’ll see when Doom/Skyrim numbers come out but I’m pretty confident it will translate over to big budget games.

There are apparently more people than I'd have expected that place a premium value on portability.

Personally, while I can certainly understand the appeal of, say, portable Darkest Dungeon, I can't for the life of me imagine myself playing an FPS outside, but hey, if it works for people.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

I mean, there's a lot of old ports (seriously, who the hell is buying BoI in this day and age, much less for 40 freaking US dollars?), but most of the success stories we're hearing about from people releasing more or less recent indy games. Like, Stardew valley has been on sale sure, but not for that much cheaper.

(I'm totally rebuying hollow night whenever the port comes out)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I don't like the "Switch tax", but I'm more open to pay it when it's only +5 dollars over +50.

As said, Skyrim and Doom will be the litmus test for this.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Handheld-only Switch advantages: save money by not including a dock or HDMI cable or joycon shell, without detachable joycons you don't need 3 separate batteries in the base device, nor do you need the interlocking mechanism points of failure, the screen can be bigger or smaller as necessary

Console-only Switch advantages: save money by not including a screen or battery, as a stationary box there is as much room as they need to include a 0.5 - 1 TB hard drive and/or ethernet port, internal hardware doesn't need to be as miniaturized so the tech could be cheaper to produce

I see no reason why they couldn't explore either possibility. Either one could end up cheaper, or else the same price but with advantages like a hard drive.

As far as it being a compromise on the concept of "switching," Nintendo has just made a big deal recently about how they like to offer lots of variations on devices at different price points to fit any given consumer. One of their selling points for 3DS was 3D, and then they made it 2D without clamshell. Or go back further and look at the GB and GBA Players. Who would want to play handheld games on their TV? Well, some people. Might as well make a product for them. There's no honor in maintaining the purity of the Switch concept while leaving money on the table.

A thought came to me regarding this, and I don't think Nintendo is going to want to explore a handheld only Switch. The reason I think they're pushing it as a console more than any other reason is because it lets them get away with charging console prices for the games. It's the consumer mentality regarding portable pricing - people are going to be much less tolerant of games pricing over $40US if they think it's a handheld system. If it's marketed as a console, boom Nintendo can sell all their games for $60.

Better yet if a few years down the line they phase out and unify their portable market into the Switch hybrid console line and now all of the sudden they're in a position where they can charge $60 for all of their standard releases. Assuming, of course, that the consumer market doesn't pick up on this move or doesn't care.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    All I can say is that for obvious egotistical reasons I like to assume you can extrapolate my experiences to a decent sector of the customer base, and I've certainly purchased (and played!) multiple Indie games on my Switch that have been on my Steam wishlist at significantly cheaper prices for ages.

The hybrid nature of the Switch makes the convenience factor in my busy adult family life well worth the added cost because I'm actually playing these things rather than throwing them into a dusty and already over-crammed Steam account vault.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Drascin wrote: »

There are apparently more people than I'd have expected that place a premium value on portability.

Personally, while I can certainly understand the appeal of, say, portable Darkest Dungeon, I can't for the life of me imagine myself playing an FPS outside, but hey, if it works for people.

Well, I am going to Japan next summer for a few months for my practical training, and Switch is the only console I can take with me (from a practical pow). Also, we have only one TV and my son and wife use it most of the time. Thus, I play on Switch.

I am a huge fan of PC playing and mostly play on PC, but I got rid of that toxic, horrible thing that some of the ppl call Steam and now my options are little more limited. I buy my games from GOG, I am not interested in AC or any of the other current AAA fare so that helps too. And indies I am more likely to play on Switch, PC is for certain games and genres. Oh, and I am not that interested in 97% indies in the first place...

Portability is what makes the Switch so alluring. It is a portable console, easy as that. While DOOM has little less eye candy on some compromises, those won't matter because Switch is the only console that is made to be portable.

This it is/isn't a handheld conversation is so silly. It is both and it is neither. It is a portable console. It is everything and it is nothing. It is a hybrid.

So, what argument is next? Is TP a good game or only a silly emo pandering piece of mediocrity? Is Metroid A tier or mostly in the C tier? Is peanut butter only for fat kids to put on their white bread? Why are my feet wet all the time? Is there supposed to be a man in the roof?

Grebnu on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    [The Gamecube wasn't that; it was actually the most powerful console of its generation.

Not to get too far off-track here, but I thought the Xbox was the most powerful console of its generation, with GameCube a close second?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    [The Gamecube wasn't that; it was actually the most powerful console of its generation.

Not to get too far off-track here, but I thought the Xbox was the most powerful console of its generation, with GameCube a close second?

You are correct.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    The next Stardew Valley update will introduce video recording:

Interesting in that this is the first non Nintendo game to recieve the update.

Actually Monster Hunter XX will get a new update that adds video recording on Wednesday, so that'll technically be the first third-party game to get it.

I wonder if it'll be a standard feature that all future games will have right out the box, or if most devs won't even bother to do it.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    The next Stardew Valley update will introduce video recording:

Interesting in that this is the first non Nintendo game to recieve the update.

Actually Monster Hunter XX will get a new update that adds video recording on Wednesday, so that'll technically be the first third-party game to get it.

I wonder if it'll be a standard feature that all future games will have right out the box, or if most devs won't even bother to do it.

Monster Hunter XX? I checked with Capcom, they assure me that game doesn't exist.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    It's Schrodinger's Dock, really. The Switch is in a state of quantum superposition; both a home console and a handheld simultaneously - until you collapse the waveform by powering it on or removing it from the dock. It's physics, people!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    dantreedantree Registered User regular
    As a newly minted dad the portability of the Switch has been a godsend. I have not been she to play much for the last 3 years with the new lad in the picture. Bit now I can play thongs in short bursts here and there, take it to work for my breaks, etc. I would have never been able to enjoy a game like BoTW for as long as I was able to if not for being able to take it with me.

It is why I am excited for Skyrim, I played the hell out of it on PS3, and I am excited for that portability factor. I also wanted to buy day one in hopes that they do more. I would have loved to buy Doom as well, but I had to pick just one.

I am a sucker for ports on a new system. I would love Fallout 3, as well as Red Dead Redemption from Rockstar. Hopefully at lower than $60 price points.

psn: dantree
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    The fact that seemingly equal numbers of people are passionately arguing "Switch is a console first!" and "Switch is a portable first!" leads me to believe that Nintendo's strategy of making Switch capable of being both has worked perfectly.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    @dantree agree wholeheartedly. Last night was the first time I played Odyssey in my big TV just for the final battle but so far 90% of my time with MO has been undocked at home. It's just so handy to put the thing to sleep, do some quick chore/check what the girls are doing and then jump back in.

Also, fuck. I have 60$ and I want to buy Doom but when I see my wish list (Sonic Mania, Thumbleweed Park, Mighty GunVolt, Splatoon, MK8 and double dipping on Zelda...) fuck! So many games I want to try out so little time.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    @dantree agree wholeheartedly. Last night was the first time I played Odyssey in my big TV just for the final battle but so far 90% of my time with MO has been undocked at home. It's just so handy to put the thing to sleep, do some quick chore/check what the girls are doing and then jump back in.

Also, fuck. I have 60$ and I want to buy Doom but when I see my wish list (Sonic Mania, Thumbleweed Park, Mighty GunVolt, Splatoon, MK8 and double dipping on Zelda...) fuck! So many games I want to try out so little time.

I bought Doom for the prime discount, but my parents always ask for stuff for them to get me for Christmas (despite me being 36) so I'll wrap it and sneak it into their house when I visit and bam; they don't waste money on me. I want to play it now, but I'll get Skyrim and play that till I open Doom.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
      Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
      Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
      Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
      Steam ID
      Twitch Page
    • Options
      maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
      edited November 2017
      Whoops, posted without being on the last page of the thread, sorry 'bout that.

maximumzero on
      FU7kFbw.png
      Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    This discussion has been closed.