Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Anything big and unique was probably going to do well if released in that timeframe. Admittedly, the fact that it was the first new Disgaea game that I've been able to play in years helped for me in particular (I've already played 1 on the DS and 2 on the PS2).

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Final Fantasy XV Director Clarifies Nintendo Switch Tease; Team Is Looking into the Platform
    A few days ago, during a livestream from Gamescom, Final Fantasy XV Director Hajime Tabata teased what appeared to be a possible Nintendo Switch version of the game. Since the tease was rather vague, and quite a bit tongue-in-cheek, DualShockers asked Tabata-san to clarify whether a port is actually coming or not during an interview today at PAX West.

Tabata-san explained that nothing has been decided yet. The development team is testing out what kind of specs the Switch can provide. They tried to test the Luminous Engine (which is the engine powering the game on PS4 and Xbox One) on the platform, and they figured out that at this point in time the team can’t “bring out the most of the engine” on the Switch.

For the time being they stopped there, but they’re still looking into the Switch, to see what they can do on it.

Tabata-san then clarified that this isn’t to say anything negative about the Switch, as the team did not do any specific optimization to the Liminous Engine for Nintendo’s console. They simply loaded it in to see how it would perform. They also made tests on Unity and Unreal Engine 4, and they noticed that those ran well on Switch.

The team is at a point in which they understand the technical specifications of the Switch, and they will continue to look into what they can do for the platform. Like with therecently announced Windows Edition and the Pocket Edition, if they’re going to release something for Nintendo’s hybrid console, they want to make sure that they’ll capitalize on the platform’s characteristics, bringing out the most of it.

In the meanwhile, Square Enix is continuing to update Final Fantasy XV for PS4 and Xbox One, and they recently released update 1.15 and the Assassin’s Festival crossover event with the Assassin’s Creed franchise.

I'd much rather have a revamped/upgraded/awesome collection of the old titles (say I-VI or maybe all the way up to X). Or, shit, another Tactics game.

Another FF Tactics would be a system-seller for me.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I feel so bad for missing out on this weekend's splatfest...I can't seem to pull myself away from Kingdom Battle.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Final Fantasy XV Director Clarifies Nintendo Switch Tease; Team Is Looking into the Platform
    A few days ago, during a livestream from Gamescom, Final Fantasy XV Director Hajime Tabata teased what appeared to be a possible Nintendo Switch version of the game. Since the tease was rather vague, and quite a bit tongue-in-cheek, DualShockers asked Tabata-san to clarify whether a port is actually coming or not during an interview today at PAX West.

Tabata-san explained that nothing has been decided yet. The development team is testing out what kind of specs the Switch can provide. They tried to test the Luminous Engine (which is the engine powering the game on PS4 and Xbox One) on the platform, and they figured out that at this point in time the team can’t “bring out the most of the engine” on the Switch.

For the time being they stopped there, but they’re still looking into the Switch, to see what they can do on it.

Tabata-san then clarified that this isn’t to say anything negative about the Switch, as the team did not do any specific optimization to the Liminous Engine for Nintendo’s console. They simply loaded it in to see how it would perform. They also made tests on Unity and Unreal Engine 4, and they noticed that those ran well on Switch.

The team is at a point in which they understand the technical specifications of the Switch, and they will continue to look into what they can do for the platform. Like with therecently announced Windows Edition and the Pocket Edition, if they’re going to release something for Nintendo’s hybrid console, they want to make sure that they’ll capitalize on the platform’s characteristics, bringing out the most of it.

In the meanwhile, Square Enix is continuing to update Final Fantasy XV for PS4 and Xbox One, and they recently released update 1.15 and the Assassin’s Festival crossover event with the Assassin’s Creed franchise.

I'd much rather have a revamped/upgraded/awesome collection of the old titles (say I-VI or maybe all the way up to X). Or, shit, another Tactics game.

Or the Seiken Densetsu trilogy that could just come over HINT HINT.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I understand why people want this, and I would love it, too, but lining it up for a Western release is a bit weird. The first game in the series is "technically" a Final Fantasy spin-off and despite having been remade as part of the series at some point, given that they're including the original game, would either be a very odd inclusion (harder marketing), or require a re-translation ($). Even worse, this game probably has more of a market in the West as a Final Fantasy spinoff than as "Seiken Densetsu 1". Then, Seiken Densetsu 3 was never even released over here, and would require an entirely new localization ($$$$). Which leaves us with Secret of Mana, which is a great game and well beloved for sure, but it's getting it's own remake on PS4/PC next year, and any market for the original game on Switch could probably be handled by just Secret of Mana VC without being burdened by the higher price point being bundled with 2 extra games few people care about comes with.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    One nice thing about Mario + Rabbids being an Ubisoft game is that it's already following Ubi's aggressive discounting. It's on sale 5 days after release (10% off with Target Cartwheel, $5 off at Fry's, for those who didn't pre-order from Amazon or have GCU membership at Best Buy).

nusu on
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I understand why people want this, and I would love it, too, but lining it up for a Western release is a bit weird. The first game in the series is "technically" a Final Fantasy spin-off and despite having been remade as part of the series at some point, given that they're including the original game, would either be a very odd inclusion (harder marketing), or require a re-translation ($). Even worse, this game probably has more of a market in the West as a Final Fantasy spinoff than as "Seiken Densetsu 1". Then, Seiken Densetsu 3 was never even released over here, and would require an entirely new localization ($$$$). Which leaves us with Secret of Mana, which is a great game and well beloved for sure, but it's getting it's own remake on PS4/PC next year, and any market for the original game on Switch could probably be handled by just Secret of Mana VC without being burdened by the higher price point being bundled with 2 extra games few people care about comes with.

I just want nice things, sometimes, is all.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    For those on the fence:

I've never been much for strategy games. But Mario + Rabbids is the strategy game I never knew I needed in my life.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    I'm very bad at it, but seconded. It makes this style of gameplay challenging yet accessible and easy to understand.

• Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    M+R calls to me, but every strategy game I've tried, I just can't get into. Even Advance Wars was a fail for me. I wanted so bad to love it. I bought 1 and 2, but neither stayed in my GBA for long. Those scars are keeping me from buying this new hotness.

Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    M+R calls to me, but every strategy game I've tried, I just can't get into. Even Advance Wars was a fail for me. I wanted so bad to love it. I bought 1 and 2, but neither stayed in my GBA for long. Those scars are keeping me from buying this new hotness.

AW was the best. I feel sad for you.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

You should still give Days of Ruin a try. It's pretty tonally different from 1/2/Dual Strike and might be somewhat more interesting.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

You should still give Days of Ruin a try. It's pretty tonally different from 1/2/Dual Strike and might be somewhat more interesting.

Probably the most fair and balanced (single player and multiplayer) game in the series to boot.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    I was actually just playing a bit of Advance Wars: Black Hole Rising just now as it will likely be awhile until I own a Switch but the Mario + Rabbids talk was making me crave some strategy.

If it were on the Wii U Virtual Console though I would be playing Days of Ruin right now as its my favorite Advance War game. They dropped the anime look of the COs (with a small handful of irksome exceptions) in favor of a significantly better artstyle, the music is awesome over-the-top hardrock with overtones of metal, the CO Powers aren't the crazy game changers that they were in Dual Strike, and I think the darker tone even did the series a favor.

Plus again, some really good music.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Bah. I'll keep my Earth and Sky thank you.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Advance Wars is too complex for me

Mario + Rabbids is not

Neither is XCOM for that matter, M+R is just easier, not actually easier to understand

Try M+R for sure, but if you dig it I cannot recommend XCOM: Enemy Unknown enough

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    For some reason I haven't thought about getting Kingdom Battle.

Can it be recommended to someone who tried Codename STEAM around the time it came out, got about 5 missions in, but hasn't touched it in a few years?

• Options
    For sure

For starters, this game's good!

• Options
    Most of the impressions I've gathered indicate that Codename STEAM kinda sucked.

• Options
    I don't think I got far enough to say one way or another if that's correct.

Before getting any other games in the genre, I think I should try going back to it. Make sure that the issue isn't me not enjoying strategy games in general.

• Options
    Well I mean

It's not good

You should try a good one!

I wouldn't play Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi and then go, "you know, I don't think fighting games are for me"

Don't let Codename STEAM ruin two games for you, it already ruined one on its own

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Well I mean

It's not good

I wouldn't play Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi and then go, "you know, I don't think fighting games are for me"

Don't let Codename STEAM ruin two games for you, it already ruined one on its own

But I liked Masters of Teras Kasi. Then again, I haven't played it in over 15 years, so maybe rose-tinted glasses and all that.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    If you think you liked Masters of Teras Kasi you should watch this.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Well I mean

It's not good

It's the one I own right now, though. If it's bad on its own, I will know. But I don't know now.

...What am I even trying to say, anymore? Sorry. I made a mistake starting this.

Enlong on
  • Options
    The mistake was on Intelligent Systems in this case.

They should have just made another Advance Wars game like I told them (Days of Ruin 2), but nooooo!

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Regardless, I shouldn't have, again, started a topic in which I had nothing to offer other than directionless negativity. It's a problem I should have fixed a long time ago, and y'all deserve better.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Eh, it was topical negativity around which a discussion formed in addition to not being all that negative to begin with.

And knowing you could do better with the genre is good intel.

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Regardless, I shouldn't have, again, started a topic in which I had nothing to offer other than directionless negativity. It's a problem I should have fixed a long time ago, and y'all deserve better.

If you have a Vita I will give you $5 for Final Fantasy Tactics so you can play a good tactics game. It's on sale today so let me know @Enlong

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I have a copy of WOTL.

Problem is I bought it on the same day that I got Persona 3 Portable, and decided to finish that one first. One of these years I will get to it.

I'm sure I'll like it, though, if it's nearly as good as its "sequels".

Enlong on
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    I have a copy of WOTL.

Problem is I bought it on the same day that I got Persona 3 Portable, and decided to finish that one first. One of these years I will get to it.

I'm sure I'll like it, though, if it's nearly as good as its "sequels".

Persona is life, you made the right choice (as good as FFT is).

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Rehab wrote: »

They should have just made another Advance Wars game like I told them (Days of Ruin 2), but nooooo!

Sadly this will never happen as long as tossing out Waifu Emblems still sells them a bajillion copies.

• Options

Sadly this will never happen as long as tossing out Waifu Emblems still sells them a bajillion copies.

All they need to do is make a Waifu Wars game.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    oh btw here's the rules sheet they give you when you register for the qualifier:
    oFwXTdg.jpg

Just in case someone wants to prep for it.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Most of the impressions I've gathered indicate that Codename STEAM kinda sucked.

I thought it was good but I know it's not everyones thing
    I tired to talk people into giving it a try when it was hella cheap at gamestop I showed them what the game was like and so on
    Few took the bait
    Still I liked it

• Options
    I give them credit for creating a new IP, but Codename STEAM is definitely not a game for everyone.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    So now that Stardew Valley was sent to Nintendo for approval, do we have any sort of release date?

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I played some Arms again today I thought Lola Pop was out?

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular

All they need to do is make a Waifu Wars game.

I was about to make fun of this, but then I remembered that the Fate/ series is hugely successful, and then I got depressed.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    So now that Stardew Valley was sent to Nintendo for approval, do we have any sort of release date?

Nope.

Wish we did.

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
This discussion has been closed.