Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    It's gonna feel like longer if you keep thinking about it constantly.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular

I think about it all the time and it doesn't feel any longer.

Wait, what are we talking about?

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    Mario I think? Man, I can't wait for that there Mario.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

When you wake up in the morning, just check your crops internet and if they're not ready for harvest Stardew Valley isn't out yet, just go straight back to sleep.

All those days will pass in what will seem like minutes.

Sure, all of your social relationships will atrophy horribly, but that's a small price to pay.

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Octopath!!!

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    Octopath!!!

Is there news?!

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Mario X-Com is amazingly good. I almost feel like the 85ish scores are extremely low :p

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Where is TERRARIA

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Octopath!!!

Is there news?!

I think he was just yelling out it's name in ecstacy, or maybe frustration?

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    The North American Xenoblade Chronicles 2 website is now live: http://xenobladechronicles2.nintendo.com/

• Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    I wish there was a Mario Rabbids demo. $90 is a bit steep to take a chance on with Stardew and a few other games that will distract me out soon. If only I was rich in cash and free time.

Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I wish there was a Mario Rabbids demo. $90 is a bit steep to take a chance on with Stardew and a few other games that will distract me out soon. If only I was rich in cash and free time.

Maybe just watch a youtube video of the first level or 2? That should give you a feel of whether you'd like it or not. That being said, I'm sure just about everyone here agrees that this is a top 3 game on the system. Assuming you're in to strategy games.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Interesting. I've never played Ty the Tasmanian Tiger before but would be nice to have on Switch.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I just had a bit of a shower thought, wouldn't it be better if The Switch and Mario Odyssey switched names? The Nintendo Odyssey is a great name for a console (especially one thats breaking new ground) and Mario Switch explains the core gameplay mechanic quite well.

edit: plus we could call the acronym NODSY and thats awesome sounding.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Switch also explains the function of the console perfectly. And it's important that you don't choose a brand most the country (sorry, USA) probably couldn't spell.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I just had a bit of a shower thought, wouldn't it be better if The Switch and Mario Odyssey switched names? The Nintendo Odyssey is a great name for a console (especially one thats breaking new ground) and Mario Switch explains the core gameplay mechanic quite well.

edit: plus we could call the acronym NODSY and thats awesome sounding.

The triumphant return!

Z0068443.jpg

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Figgy wrote: »
    Switch also explains the function of the console perfectly. And it's important that you don't choose a brand most the country (sorry, USA) probably couldn't spell.

and why exactly does the name have to explain the function of the console when it's pretty obviously spelled out on the box, in ad's, practicically everywhere that the console is mentioned?

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

and why exactly does the name have to explain the function of the console when it's pretty obviously spelled out on the box, in ad's, practicically everywhere that the console is mentioned?

I think you're overestimating the intelligence of the average person.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Polaritie wrote: »

I'm betting there's a lot of people out there who haven't even made the connection between The Switch name and it's functionality yet.

edit: Further, what functionality was the name "Wii" supposed to point out? Because that system sold like the dickens.

edit: and don't give me that Wii as in "we" as in playing together crap, thats a cop out.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options

Why would the Mario game name need to, then?

You're getting pretty worked up over a random thought that will literally go nowhere in the very best case scenario.

• Options

I'm betting there's a lot of people out there who haven't even made the connection between The Switch name and it's functionality yet.

edit: Further, what functionality was the name "Wii" supposed to point out? Because that system sold like the dickens.

The family/group-focused design (Wii = We) and the double 'i's looked like the two controllers. And they animated them to wave.

But seriously, relax :P

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    I need a Tower Defense game for the Switch. Maybe a few point n' click adventures. Definitely a couple 100+ hour RPGs. And Persona 5. And Animal Crossing.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    Elin wrote: »
    I need a Tower Defense game for the Switch. Maybe a few point n' click adventures. Definitely a couple 100+ hour RPGs. And Persona 5. And Animal Crossing.

Thimbleweed Park (Point n Click) looks neat.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

The family/group-focused design (Wii = We) and the double 'i's looked like the two controllers. And they animated them to wave.

Game system names are dumb.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular

edit: and don't give me that Wii as in "we" as in playing together crap, thats a cop out.

But... that's literally what Nintendo said the name was supposed to mean/include.

And when we talk about the intelligence of the average person, almost everyone I know that isn't someone that usually buys consoles thought the Wii U was just a gamepad for the Wii, or some kind of addon, not a brand new console. I even had a couple family members ask me about getting "one of those wii u gamepads for my kid's Wii"

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Hmm. Left joycon is having charging difficulties. I put it onto the docked switch and it doesn't appear to register as charging, and I get low battery warnings quickly while the right still shows as near full. Any ideas on what to try with it?

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    The Switch is a brilliant name on multiple levels, from being easy to say, distinctive, and being an active command verb encouraging people to, you know, get one.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    I wonder if there are any certification requirements about in game switches.
    Like "Hit the switch with a hammer to open the door" could end in tragedy on Amelia Bedelia's twitch stream.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Hmm. Left joycon is having charging difficulties. I put it onto the docked switch and it doesn't appear to register as charging, and I get low battery warnings quickly while the right still shows as near full. Any ideas on what to try with it?

I've heard resynching it can help, but I don't think it's a guarantee

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    Like "Hit the switch with a hammer to open the door" could end in tragedy on Amelia Bedelia's twitch stream.

I really don't want to see Amelia Bedelia's twitch stream.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Octopath!!!

Is there news?!

I think he was just yelling out it's name in ecstacy, or maybe frustration?

Yes, this

• Options
    edited September 2017
    wunderbar wrote: »

But... that's literally what Nintendo said the name was supposed to mean/include.

And when we talk about the intelligence of the average person, almost everyone I know that isn't someone that usually buys consoles thought the Wii U was just a gamepad for the Wii, or some kind of addon, not a brand new console. I even had a couple family members ask me about getting "one of those wii u gamepads for my kid's Wii"

Oh thats such BS. Every home console that's been made with more than one controller has been meant to be played "together". The only thing even remotely indicative is the two ii's looking like wiimotes, and you think the average dumb guy is going to understand that? The primary gimmick of the Wii was the motion controls (playing together) is something thats implied just by the name "video game console" (even if you're an idiot). I don't care if Yamauchi came down from the heavens himself and declared it, it's a cop out.

I'm not following? We're talking about video games on an internet forum. There's no need to tell anyone to relax.

edit: I can have a dissenting opinion and still be relaxed, you know

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »

I really don't want to see Amelia Bedelia's twitch stream.

Wouldn't it just be a wobbly faucet somewhere in the house?

• Options
    Oh thats such BS. Every home console that's been made with more than one controller has been meant to be played "together". The only thing even remotely indicative is the two ii's looking like wiimotes, and you think the average dumb guy is going to understand that? The primary gimmick of the Wii was the motion controls (playing together) is something thats implied just by the name "video game console" (even if you're an idiot). I don't care if Yamauchi came down from the heavens himself and declared it, it's a cop out.

Sorry man, it's literally what Wii was intended to be, as ill-conceived as it might've been.

https://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=9075
    Nintendo has officially announced the final name for its Revolution next-gen console, naming it the 'Wii'. According to its official Wii website, the new name for the console "represents the answer", and "will break down that wall that separates video game players from everybody else."

The site explains: "Wii sounds like "we," which emphasizes this console is for everyone. Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. Wii has a distinctive "ii" spelling that symbolizes both the unique controllers and the image of people gathering to play."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc_EeTtOtwM

"We would like to play" = "Wii would like to play," emphasizing local multiplayer, getting together with others in person, at the time in an increasingly online and impersonal world.

Also notice the Wii name at the very end, where the two i's bow to the viewer, because they represent little people, as stated earlier.

And the whole point of advertising gimmicks like that is to subtly get in peoples' heads even if it's BS. I was just thinking about this the other day, how surrounded with BS we are. Drove past a gas station called GoLo that said "quality fuel at lo prices," why would I ever take them at their word? No gas station is really lower priced than any other, and no gas is really noticeably higher quality. They're on a corner with 2 others competing with them. That doesn't mean they're not going to try to say they're better, though. Every store says they have the highest quality goods for the lowest prices. And every console wants to be the one that everyone uses. Like Xbox One, the ONE console you will ever need, your ONE stop entertainment center in the home. etc. etc.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    And what exactly is the WiiU supposed to mean if the Wii means that? Together and me? What?

PS this isn't a reply to you @UncleSporky, I haven't actually read your post yet.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    Whatever the U was supposed to mean (and I'm spitballing a guess that yeah it's we and you representing asymmetrical gameplay), it was obviously a misfire and didn't work.

• Options
    And what exactly is the WiiU supposed to mean if the Wii means that? Together and me? What?

PS this isn't a reply to you @UncleSporky, I haven't actually read your post yet.

Because it strives to be as inclusive as the Wii (we) but also emphasizes individual play (you) on the tablet designed for a single player to use when the TV was busy. Also the U part of the logo was designed to look similar to the gamepad.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edzepp wrote: »

I legit have a switch I haven't taken out of the box yet that is just waiting for Mario.

But oh man is gonna be rad when I finally get to hook that thing up.

• Options
    edzepp wrote: »

I legit have a switch I haven't taken out of the box yet that is just waiting for Mario.

But oh man is gonna be rad when I finally get to hook that thing up.

hook it up yesterday and commence to playing zelda!

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Just because WiiU was a terrible, terrible name, doesn't mean the Wii doesn't mean "we"

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
This discussion has been closed.