Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    yea, no one here is arguing that the Wii was a great name and that the Wii U was any better. But just becuase it was a bad name doesn't change waht it was meant to convey.

also, @DemonStacey you need to unbox your switch and play zelda or mario rabbids or splatoon 2 or arms or any of the other games that are out for the system that are actually good. Seems like such a waste to have one and literally not take it out of the box because one game isn't out yet.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Did you know, the PlayStation is a STATION that PLAYs games? Mind blown! Like the FedEx arrow, once I see it I can't unsee it.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Did you know, the PlayStation is a STATION that PLAYs games? Mind blown! Like the FedEx arrow, once I see it I can't unsee it.

Maaan it's so obvious that it plays games though, why did they have to name it like that? A little on the nose, isn't it?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Whatever the U was supposed to mean (and I'm spitballing a guess that yeah it's we and you representing asymmetrical gameplay), it was obviously a misfire and didn't work.

Asymmetrical gameplay was a boondangle that never really took off for anyone. Nintendo, however, tied an entire console to it.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Xaquin wrote: »
    edzepp wrote: »
    Mario I think? Man, I can't wait for that there Mario.

I legit have a switch I haven't taken out of the box yet that is just waiting for Mario.

But oh man is gonna be rad when I finally get to hook that thing up.

hook it up yesterday and commence to playing zelda!

Already played that on WiiU the day it came out!
    wunderbar wrote: »
    yea, no one here is arguing that the Wii was a great name and that the Wii U was any better. But just becuase it was a bad name doesn't change waht it was meant to convey.

also, DemonStacey you need to unbox your switch and play zelda or mario rabbids or splatoon 2 or arms or any of the other games that are out for the system that are actually good. Seems like such a waste to have one and literally not take it out of the box because one game isn't out yet.

I'm watching a stream of rabbids, not really my kinda thing to play but it's fun to watch!

Splatoon 2 and Arms are definitely not games for me. I don't play multiplayer with strangers.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    I'll argue that the Wii is a great name! It's short, easy to remember, doesn't sound like any other game consoles or products, won't get confused for another name, puts your mouth into the shape of a smile to say it, and also means 'yes' in french.

The WiiU was not a great name because it made it easy to confuse with the Wii, they were clearly trying to piggy back on the name recognition, but didn't differentiate it enough.

The Switch is another great name because it's also unique and not easily confused with other products, but is also descriptive.

sig.gif
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Wii U was basically "the Wii was violently popular, right? Let's stick it on our next console!"

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    @Handsome Costanza When I say you need to relax, I mean you're getting really defensive over an indefensible position. You don't like the name, you're not alone. But it was intended to mean something and that was confirmed by those authorized to do so.

What more are you looking for in terms of confirmation?

But this all started from saying "I have a great name for the Switch instead of the the Switch!" and getting worked up because I said the Switch is the perfect name for it.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Went to Best Buy this weekend to look for Mario+Rabbids to use my gift card and gamer's club discount on but they were sold out. The Switch shelf at my local Best Buy seemed pretty bare overall except for the stacks of ARMS copies. Every title had 2-4 copies, I don't even think I saw Zelda and Mario Kart at all. But the amount of ARMS they had was almost silly.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Between Sony's "+1" unoriginal schtick and MS unintentionally but hilariously walking into the nickname "Xbone" which fit their situation damn near to a T, "Switch" is hardly the worst thing on the table.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Look at all these Nicalis Switch games

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options

I legit have a switch I haven't taken out of the box yet that is just waiting for Mario.

also, DemonStacey you need to unbox your switch and play zelda or mario rabbids or splatoon 2 or arms or any of the other games that are out for the system that are actually good. Seems like such a waste to have one and literally not take it out of the box because one game isn't out yet.

I'm watching a stream of rabbids, not really my kinda thing to play but it's fun to watch!

Splatoon 2 and Arms are definitely not games for me. I don't play multiplayer with strangers.

so then legit question... why did you even buy it? (also multiplayer with strangers really isn't all that bad, especially when you don't use voice chat)

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular

so then legit question... why did you even buy it? (also multiplayer with strangers really isn't all that bad, especially when you don't use voice chat)

For when Mario comes out, like he said. It was a smart move to grab it early, because stock isn't going to get better coming into the holiday shopping season.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Figgy wrote: »

For when Mario comes out, like he said. It was a smart move to grab it early, because stock isn't going to get better coming into the holiday shopping season.

Yeah. While every console sells more during holiday seasons, (successful) Nintendo consoles REALLY sell more.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

https://twitter.com/nicalis/status/904940277445431297

Whoa how do you get more game icons on a grid like that?

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Yea as said above they were not always in stock currently unless paying above MSRP so I figured if I saw any at MRSP starting from last month I would grab one to avoid missing out on the day Mario comes out. Given that they already keep vanishing from stock it's hard to say if they will be extra hard to find around the holiday season (when Mario comes out).

And they popped up on Amazon for MSRP so I clicked buy!

Just avoiding the risk and there is no way the price is dropping between now and then so there's not really any sort of downside to grabbing it ahead of time.

• Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular

Looks like if you have more than 12 pieces of installed software to access, the last option on your Home row will be "All Software". Selecting this brings you into the larger grid size screen that it's in the screenshot.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    Whatever the U was supposed to mean (and I'm spitballing a guess that yeah it's we and you representing asymmetrical gameplay), it was obviously a misfire and didn't work.

Asymmetrical gameplay was a boondangle that never really took off for anyone. Nintendo, however, tied an entire console to it.

I don't see it as a boondoggle, it's a perfectly valid form of game design. Some high profile attempts to do it were really awfully mismanaged like Evolve; its failures weren't linked to asymmetrical gameplay, but primarily its horrible DLC model.

Lots of games are asymmetrical. D&D always has been...some people see the DM as a stand in for the PC/game console running the game, but they're having their own fun as well. And popular ideas for asymmetrical gameplay have been DM-style concepts, one guy releasing the monsters for the players to kill. A lot of modern board games are doing cool stuff with asymmetrical concepts too, this one has up to 5 players all playing very different roles (knight, thief, goblin horde, dragon, and the cave itself). Just because the Wii U didn't take off doesn't mean it's a dead-end of game design, in fact I'd say it's the other way around: because the Wii U failed to take off due to numerous other factors, we didn't get to see the kind of asymmetrical games people wanted to play on it.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    Between Sony's "+1" unoriginal schtick and MS unintentionally but hilariously walking into the nickname "Xbone" which fit their situation damn near to a T, "Switch" is hardly the worst thing on the table.

I don't mind Sony's naming. Sure it's a bit boring. But it's clear.

MS I don't mind their whole "being different" look... but why not go back to cooler names. Like Sega had the Master System, the Genesis, the Saturn, and the Dreamcast.

Hell, the Microsoft Scorpio was an awesome sounding name for a console. They don't want the 1, 2, 3, etc numbers, yet they keep sticking with numbers (even if they spelled out One it's still a number).

In that regard the Switch is... fine. It's nothing awesome, but not terrible. It's pretty much just inoffensive and suitable. Better than the Wii to be sure. That WAS a terrible name, and lots made fun of it. The system just had some great marketing that made the best of it (wii would like to play). The Wii U took all the worst parts of the system and doubled down on them. Asymmetrical gameplay is just fine, but tying your entire console to it... not so much.

• Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Oh shit! 45+ new posts in the Switch thread this morning, I wonder what new game got announced to produce so much conversation!?! Oh, it's just talk about... the Wii name?

Who else is hyped about Rayman Legends in a week? I'm gonna save ALL the big nosed dudes!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options

MS I don't mind their whole "being different" look... but why not go back to cooler names. Like Sega had the Master System, the Genesis, the Saturn, and the Dreamcast.

Hell, the Microsoft Scorpio was an awesome sounding name for a console. They don't want the 1, 2, 3, etc numbers, yet they keep sticking with numbers (even if they spelled out One it's still a number).

In that regard the Switch is... fine. It's nothing awesome, but not terrible. It's pretty much just inoffensive and suitable. Better than the Wii to be sure. That WAS a terrible name, and lots made fun of it. The system just had some great marketing that made the best of it (wii would like to play). The Wii U took all the worst parts of the system and doubled down on them. Asymmetrical gameplay is just fine, but tying your entire console to it... not so much.

See, Microsoft still uses numbers, but they still try to be too "clever" with them. The Xbox 360 name came because they didn't want to release an Xbox 2 when Sony was releasing a Playstatoin 3. The Xbox One name comes from the original vision of the console that it would be the "one device" that would do everything.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    Oh shit! 45+ new posts in the Switch thread this morning, I wonder what new game got announced to produce so much conversation!?! Oh, it's just talk about... the Wii name?

Who else is hyped about Rayman Legends in a week? I'm gonna save ALL the big nosed dudes!

I've played Rayman Legends to death on my Wii U. No need to pick it up again.
    Lorek wrote: »

Looks like if you have more than 12 pieces of installed software to access, the last option on your Home row will be "All Software". Selecting this brings you into the larger grid size screen that it's in the screenshot.

Mario + Rabbids was actually my 12th title, finally opening up the grid view for me.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Did they ever reveal what kinds of new things are going into Rayman Legends Switch?

• Options

See, Microsoft still uses numbers, but they still try to be too "clever" with them. The Xbox 360 name came because they didn't want to release an Xbox 2 when Sony was releasing a Playstatoin 3. The Xbox One name comes from the original vision of the console that it would be the "one device" that would do everything.

I know that. But it's still.. well, not really that clever. Just append some interesting name to it. Doesn't matter what so long as it's decent.
    Scorpio sounded cool. They could even go for some vaguely zodiac inspired names with that for awhile if they wanted.

As far as the Switch goes (to not keep this veered off topic), I do look forward to them getting more games coming out, even if they are just some decent indie games. I could see getting some on the switch as opposed to the other consoles so long as they aren't doing anything that needs some extra horsepower.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    For the record, as of today the Switch has 114 titles available in the US (I saw this as I was buying the Gunvolt Striker Pack). Not sure of the game-to-demo ratio, but that number surprised me.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/09/05/nicalis-bringing-code-princess-vvvvvv-knight-terrors-switch/

Turns out four of the blurred images are artwork for 1001 Spikes, VVVVVV, Knight Terrors, Code of Princess, and one the last is an as-yet unidentified game.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    VVVVVV should be on everything with a screen

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/09/05/nicalis-bringing-code-princess-vvvvvv-knight-terrors-switch/

Turns out four of the blurred images are artwork for 1001 Spikes, VVVVVV, Knight Terrors, Code of Princess, and one the last is an as-yet unidentified game.

Ahahaha... seriously?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    If anyone was like me waiting to see how nba 2k18 was on switch they dumped a lot of info-

- Is the same engine/build as the ps4/xbox.
    - Has less graphics obviously and runs at 30 fps- but all the same animations and such. However looks pretty faantastic.
    - All modes, fully featured.
    - 25gb download.

turn off the volume - the poster adds nothing and is annoying..... but looks great/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2ZgJBY1BTM

I am so very happy with this news. these games are basketball masterpieces- i will be so happy to play it on the switch.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    If anyone was like me waiting to see how nba 2k18 was on switch they dumped a lot of info-

- 25gb download.

jesus.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

- 25gb download.

jesus.

That's on the low end for most AAA releases these days, closer to 50GB is common on the other systems.

I'm torn on where to get NBA. It will likely look a lot better on the PS4, but having a full featured sports game in handheld mode could be pretty great.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular

- 25gb download.

jesus.

That's on the low end for most AAA releases these days, closer to 50GB is common on the other systems.

I'm torn on where to get NBA. It will likely look a lot better on the PS4, but having a full featured sports game in handheld mode could be pretty great.

The pc version a year ago was well over 50 gb. Nba2k does not skimp on textures.....

And get it on switch.... play in bed... on train.... during pooping.... while waiting in line etc etc....

don't be tied to your tv like a square.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    I hope if you don't do the download it looks cool like skyrim without textures.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
    I am not a fan of basketball, at all, but the ongoing European Championships has made me reconsider. Finland is fighting tooth and nail, and Lauri Markkanen is an absolute beast. He'll play for Chigago in the NBA next year, remember that guy. He's 20 (I think) and is carrying the team. He is so damn calm in every situation.

Will get Mario+Rabbids next week, can't wait! And FIFA is pre-ordered, it looks great. If possible, they've made even more stellar job than the 2k18 team!

• Options
    edited September 2017

- 25gb download.

jesus.

even 50GB is starting to become on the lower end. I have a few games on my Xbox that are over 80GB.

We just get spoiled with how well nintendo optimizes the graphics assets on their more "cartoony" games. I do not mean cartoony in a bad way. i just mean that as not going for hyper realism.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular

- 25gb download.

jesus.

I know! If that's how much info they have on the game, imagine how big the game itself is!
    Wakka wakka wakka!

sig.gif
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular

- 25gb download.

jesus.

even 50GB is starting to become on the lower end. I have a few games on my Xbox that are over 80GB.

We just get spoiled with how well nintendo optimizes the graphics assets on their more "cartoony" games. I do not mean cartoony in a bad way. i just mean that as not going for hyper realism.

People tend to use the term "stylized" nowadays.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    What are some of the better indie games on the Switch right now? I've already got Shovel Knight and Blaster Master 0.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    Zython wrote: »

- 25gb download.

jesus.

People tend to use the term "stylized" nowadays.

Which is a better term anyways, since it covers things that don't necessarily look cartoonish.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    What are some of the better indie games on the Switch right now? I've already got Shovel Knight and Blaster Master 0.

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero

This discussion has been closed.