Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    If anyone was like me waiting to see how nba 2k18 was on switch they dumped a lot of info-

- Is the same engine/build as the ps4/xbox.
    - Has less graphics obviously and runs at 30 fps- but all the same animations and such. However looks pretty faantastic.
    - All modes, fully featured.
    - 25gb download.

turn off the volume - the poster adds nothing and is annoying..... but looks great/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2ZgJBY1BTM

I am so very happy with this news. these games are basketball masterpieces- i will be so happy to play it on the switch.

Doesn't it also require an sd card to access all features? I thought I read that somewhere.

Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    If anyone was like me waiting to see how nba 2k18 was on switch they dumped a lot of info-

- Has less graphics obviously and runs at 30 fps- but all the same animations and such. However looks pretty faantastic.
    - 25gb download.

turn off the volume - the poster adds nothing and is annoying..... but looks great/

I am so very happy with this news. these games are basketball masterpieces- i will be so happy to play it on the switch.

Doesn't it also require an sd card to access all features? I thought I read that somewhere.

If you're buying the physical copy.

EDIT: though, really, with only 26 or so usable GB of space on the internal storage an SD card will basically be mandatory anyway.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    New firmware update - 3.0.2

http://www.nintendo.com/switch/system-update/
    Improvements Included in Version 3.0.2

Nintendo Switch Online

Added online play in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, and Peru. This is currently available for free until the paid online service launches in 2018.

General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

- 25gb download.

If you're buying the physical copy.

EDIT: though, really, with only 26 or so usable GB of space on the internal storage an SD card will basically be mandatory anyway.

I take it this means they cheaped out on the game card size.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I take it this means they cheaped out on the game card size.

Card sizes above 32 gig for the Switch are not available yet. 32+25 = 57 gigs, close to the ~50 gig amount quoted earlier.

Though really it shouldn't have to be 50 gigs because if it has lower quality graphics, theoretically it wouldn't need all the same HD textures. But it's a lot of work to retool all that.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    The Gunvolt Striker Pack for the Switch is sweet. Faster loading times than the 3DS, and the special powers are mapped to the right stick. Between that and the button placement on the Pro Controller, the game is a lot more accessible for me. I'm hyped, because I really liked it on the 3DS, but couldn't play it well due to tiny, cramped face buttons.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    The Gunvolt Striker Pack for the Switch is sweet. Faster loading times than the 3DS, and the special powers are mapped to the right stick. Between that and the button placement on the Pro Controller, the game is a lot more accessible for me. I'm hyped, because I really liked it on the 3DS, but couldn't play it well due to tiny, cramped face buttons.

I was kinda waiting for a Switch release to play Azure Striker Gunvolt, but... $40?! Wasn't the dual pack $30 on the 3DS? Which also had the ability to purchase them separately for $15 a pop...

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    To be honest 50GB seems pretty ridiculous to me for a Basketball game. Breath of the Wild was only 13 GB. And Metal Gear Solid 5 was still only 25GB.

Obviously Nintendo being the only first party that is really limited by file sizes it makes sense that their devs have a lot more incentive to get the sizes down but for fucks sake plenty of us still have to deal with shitty internet it'd be nice if 3rd party devs made atleast a bit of an effort.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I haven't played an NBA game in a long time, but obviously they're aiming for the more photorealistic style graphics that probably have different HD textures for each player on the roster. That's going to take it's toll on the size of the game.

And also yes, Nintendo employ wizards.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    What are some of the better indie games on the Switch right now? I've already got Shovel Knight and Blaster Master 0.

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero

The recent DLC for it is also worthwhile. Haven't really had too many indie titles on my Switch.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I'll argue that the Wii is a great name! It's short, easy to remember, doesn't sound like any other game consoles or products, won't get confused for another name, puts your mouth into the shape of a smile to say it, and also means 'yes' in french.

The WiiU was not a great name because it made it easy to confuse with the Wii, they were clearly trying to piggy back on the name recognition, but didn't differentiate it enough.

I feel like that was by design, given the use of all Wii accessories and being able to run its entire library.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    You may want to mute this if you don't like raunchy dubstep, but hey, Worms trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es33mSiBaSs&feature=youtu.be

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Apparently the head of the Pokemon Company didn't think Switch would be a success:
    “I told Nintendo that Switch wouldn’t be a success before it went on sale because I thought that, in the age of the smartphone, no one would carry around a game console. It’s obvious I was wrong."

"I came to realise the key to a successful game is quite simple - software with absolute quality leads sales of hardware. Playing style can be flexible if the software is attractive enough.”

“Currently [Switch is] popular among the early adopters and there needs to be one more step to attract a wider audience. I see more potential in Switch, but one shouldn’t overestimate its potential.”

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    cloudeagle wrote: »

“Currently [Switch is] popular among the early adopters and there needs to be one more step to attract a wider audience. I see more potential in Switch, but one shouldn’t overestimate its potential.”

I'd like to try and solve the puzzle, Pat Sajak

How about "actually being able to buy it"?

Donnicton on
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    New firmware update - 3.0.2

http://www.nintendo.com/switch/system-update/
    Improvements Included in Version 3.0.2

Nintendo Switch Online

Added online play in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, and Peru. This is currently available for free until the paid online service launches in 2018.

General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience

If it's not clear, the link shows that the "Added online play in..." is a sub-bullet under "Nintendo Switch Online," so that's the extent of the online changes with this firmware. When I first saw this, I thought that maybe they added a "Nintendo Switch Online" app to the console. How naïve of me.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »
    To be honest 50GB seems pretty ridiculous to me for a Basketball game. Breath of the Wild was only 13 GB. And Metal Gear Solid 5 was still only 25GB.

Obviously Nintendo being the only first party that is really limited by file sizes it makes sense that their devs have a lot more incentive to get the sizes down but for fucks sake plenty of us still have to deal with shitty internet it'd be nice if 3rd party devs made atleast a bit of an effort.

Honestly, like I said above we're pretty spoiled by Nintendo games. I don't think I've purchased a AAA game for other consoles or PC in over a year that wasn't at least 40GB. Nintendo does wield some compression magic, but they also do make heavy use of reusing assets, even in games like Zelda, but they do it in a way that isn't always noticeable.

And for a game like NBA, as was stated by someone else they will have individual textures for every player in the league, and then some. You're talking 400+ players that need individual assets. Then at least 30 individual arenas. That's going to add up nicely. Could they have optimized it a bit more? Probably. but again honestly 50GB AAA games are just the norm now, and even approaching the low end.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I didn't think the Switch would be a success either. I assumed the general public was done with Nintendo and they were only selling to a subset of remaining fans.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Is anyone in the Seattle area still looking for a Switch? I've seen them at the Fred Meyer at Totem Lake and will pick one up for someone if they needed it.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Has anybody played Lego Worlds (on Switch or other systems)? My 4 year old has been really enjoying Lego City, most of all because he can roam around without dealing with being attacked, and doesn't have to deal with any menus or anything. I'm curious if Lego Worlds would offer a similar experience, or if it throws more roadblocks at you in the way of enemies and required missions and stuff.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    http://www.siliconera.com/2017/09/06/week-sales-everybodys-golf-etrian-mystery-dungeon-2-nights-azure-2-debuts/

Horf, Nights of Azure 2 fucking died in Japan. Especially the Switch version.
    Nights of Azure 2 released on three consoles with the best going to the PS4 version with 18,207 units at #6, followed by the PS Vita version at #11 with 7,168 units, and the Nintendo Switch version at #16 with 4,463 units sold in its debut for a total of 29,838 units. This is basically in the flop territory considering the first game Nights of Azure debuted with 35,907 units sold on PS4 and 32,904 units sold on PS Vita, totaling at 68,811 units in its debut between both versions. The first game’s sales were considered unsatisfactory for Gust and Nights of Azure 2 was meant to be a title of redemption for the new series.

This might have been satisfactory for Gust when they were independent, but not under the new management. I hope this doesn't mean they'll cancel the localization, but it's not good.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    http://www.siliconera.com/2017/09/06/week-sales-everybodys-golf-etrian-mystery-dungeon-2-nights-azure-2-debuts/

Nights of Azure 2 released on three consoles with the best going to the PS4 version with 18,207 units at #6, followed by the PS Vita version at #11 with 7,168 units, and the Nintendo Switch version at #16 with 4,463 units sold in its debut for a total of 29,838 units. This is basically in the flop territory considering the first game Nights of Azure debuted with 35,907 units sold on PS4 and 32,904 units sold on PS Vita, totaling at 68,811 units in its debut between both versions. The first game’s sales were considered unsatisfactory for Gust and Nights of Azure 2 was meant to be a title of redemption for the new series.

This might have been satisfactory for Gust when they were independent, but not under the new management. I hope this doesn't mean they'll cancel the localization, but it's not good.

Hmm. Looking at a gameplay video it doesn't look very fun to play.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I may actually get Rayman Legends for $40

I'd assumed it'd be $60 and wrote it off

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Hrm. Portable might be nice, despite the downgrade to the Murphy levels.

Is there any online for Kung Foot?

• Options
    1RwA38Ll.jpg
    cfPfZkHl.jpg
    WhXI54Nl.jpg

Wow, these look really nice.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Has anybody played Lego Worlds (on Switch or other systems)? My 4 year old has been really enjoying Lego City, most of all because he can roam around without dealing with being attacked, and doesn't have to deal with any menus or anything. I'm curious if Lego Worlds would offer a similar experience, or if it throws more roadblocks at you in the way of enemies and required missions and stuff.

I picked this up yesterday but haven't played it yet. I love Lego games and my kids are into them, plus with the impending death of Dimensions I thought this might fill a void. Not the greatest reviews for other consoles, but I'll post my thoughts later.

Xbox - Dodge Mega

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Lego Worlds is out for Switch?

edit: nm, that's not what I thought it was

Xaquin on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »

Hmm. Looking at a gameplay video it doesn't look very fun to play.

Looks like a generic PS2 era game.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    So I need to make sure my 3DS and switch are charged up so I can play them at least for a little bit during the hurricane. Stupid Irma! :(

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    So I need to make sure my 3DS and switch are charged up so I can play them at least for a little bit during the hurricane. Stupid Irma! :(

Be safe.

I've been shopping for USB/USB-C battery packs online for my Switch/3DS/Phone/Macbook in preparation for potential Irma landfall here in LA.

Having a hell of a time deciding what I want to get. Also need to finally pick up a carrying case and decide if I want to do the screen protector thing or not.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    I haven't played it, but I have watched my nephews play it on the XBone.

I haven't noticed any "required" missions (maybe there were some really early in adventure mode), but there are characters that reward bricks/minifigs by completing some objective. Larger worlds and tools are blocked off by gold bricks (collect X gold bricks, get a reward). There are enemies, they seem as stupid (and easy) as any other Lego game I've seen or played.

There are menus for switching tools (a radial menu like your typical minifig change thing in Dimensions) and then a tabbed menu for your inventory like Minecraft's creative mode where you can customize your character or select bricks, vehicles, objects, etc. FWIW my four (now five) year old nephew was able to play it without much difficulty.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

Downgrade compared to the Wii U version?

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

I reviewed the Xbox One version when it came out, and I'm waiting on a Switch copy to do for Nintendo Force.

To answer your specific questions, there are some infrequent enemies, not unlike what you'd expect from a Minecraft style game, but I think it depends on the type of World you're on. The desert has some creatures you'd expect to find, for instance, but I believe the candyland was pretty benign. If you don't like what you've got, just pack up and blast off to another world.

Missions aren't required, generally speaking, but for the tutorial that teaches you how to use everything. Once you're through that, I believe you're golden.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »

Downgrade compared to the Wii U version?

Ya.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Just got a Switch with Zelda and Mario Kart 8. So far I'm loving it, but I need more games to try out. There isn't anywhere to rent games around me, so does anyone have some current experience with Gamefly? Are the transit times still a joke?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Just got a Switch with Zelda and Mario Kart 8. So far I'm loving it, but I need more games to try out. There isn't anywhere to rent games around me, so does anyone have some current experience with Gamefly? Are the transit times still a joke?

Hey I can answer this! I've been a Gamefly customer for about 7 years now, believe it or not. Their transit times are about 2-3 days from the moment you get an email saying they sent them to you. If your Post Office supports Fast Return then they'll get notification that the game is en route a day or two after you place it in your mailbox.

Their transit times have significantly improved over the past 3 years. And their support is top notch. I got a disc for the PS4 that wouldn't install and they shipped me a new one immediately that arrived a day or two later.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    http://nintendoeverything.com/resident-evil-revelations-1-and-2-launching-for-switch-on-november-28-in-the-west-joy-con-motion-controls-hd-rumble/
    Yesterday, Famitsu revealed that Resident Evil Revelations 1 and 2 are coming to Switch in Japan on November 30. It didn’t take long for Capcom to follow up with some news for the west. Both games are slated for November 28 in North America and Europe.

On Switch, Capcom is including optional Joy-Con motion controls and HD Rumble compatibility. You can use the right Joy-Con to aim your shots and swing knife attacks, and flick it up to reload Shake the left Joy-Con to escape enemy attacks when grabbed.

The co-op Raid Mode can be played online in each game as well. In Revelations 2, local co-op is also an option by passing a single Joy-Con to a friend and take on the horde together. Fans can expect all DLC and episodes previously released for both games.

At retail in North America, the two games will be sold together as Resident Evil Revelations Collection for $40. Resident Evil Revelations will be on the cartridge while the other is a digital download. Both titles are $20 digitally as individual releases.

DJDKunvXkAAKGfo.jpg

Gory screen from Revelations 2

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    I need to pop in Revelations on my 3DS sometime, I haven't finished it.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I hated Revelations 1... the first bullet sponge of a boss turned me right off. I hear Rev 2 is much better though.

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Thanks for the Lego Worlds info! Sounds like it should be good for him, especially once he gets tired of the city, having different environments to explore would be great. Might wait a bit until he gets tired of Lego City though, and wait on some reviews to make sure the framerate isn't complete shit or anything.

• Options
    Lego Worlds is okay. It suffers from a bit of a learning curve, and could be a little more detailed in it's mission objectives. The split screen two player mode I played with my son (who is 8) was a little cramped for some of the detailed placement required for some tasks. We just played the first couple of levels, and I think a little more time will improve my experience. So far: 6.5/10, with potential to be as high as 8 if the game I think is in there actually is.

Xbox - Dodge Mega

This discussion has been closed.