As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    With the Switch's success, I can see a scenario where they publish/release things that are ready/almost done for the 3DS over the next 8 or so months, and then focus almost entirely on the Switch, kind of like how the NES lingered for a few years even though the SNES was the focus.

The more time passes, the more I become increasingly convinced that this is just wishful thinking.

When the 3DS dies, Nintendo won't focus on the Switch. They'll just replace it with another low-end handheld and continue splitting their focus between the two devices.

That's why Nintendo keeps pushing this narrative that the Switch is "a home console you can take anywhere". They want consumers to feel like they still need a handheld, even though they already have a Switch.

That's also why you aren't seeing many Wii U ports on Switch. Nintendo is saving those ports for the 3DS's successor.

And if the Switch's library suffers because of that, why should Nintendo care? Most of the consumers who are hardcore enough to care about the library got swept up by the hype and already bought the system at launch (or as close to launch as they could, with all the hardware shortages). They already have those people's money. And they know, deep down, that no matter how much they complain, those people will still dutifully line up to buy Nintendo's next thing at launch too, just like always. If they haven't learned by now that Nintendo machines never end up having an extensive library, they're probably never going to learn.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Again, I just genuinely think that Switch and 3DS are in entirely different layers of portability and therefore fulfill different needs. A Switch is nice to take on a trip for hotel stays, but it's far too much of a pain in the ass take it with me to university to play during the dead breaks that scheduling conflicts often cause, and I most certainly am not going to pack it in a backpack for a hike. So I'm more than happy to continue having a DS. From my own consumer perspective, all that making Metroid a Switch game would have accomplished is making it 20 euro more expensive (because ha ha releasing a home console game at less than the standard price, right) in exchange for better control ergonomics but much worse portability. And honestly, the ergonomics aren't THAT terrible that they merit the extra 20 euro to my eyes.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    With the Switch's success, I can see a scenario where they publish/release things that are ready/almost done for the 3DS over the next 8 or so months, and then focus almost entirely on the Switch, kind of like how the NES lingered for a few years even though the SNES was the focus.

The more time passes, the more I become increasingly convinced that this is just wishful thinking.

When the 3DS dies, Nintendo won't focus on the Switch. They'll just replace it with another low-end handheld and continue splitting their focus between the two devices.

That's why Nintendo keeps pushing this narrative that the Switch is "a home console you can take anywhere". They want consumers to feel like they still need a handheld, even though they already have a Switch.

That's also why you aren't seeing many Wii U ports on Switch. Nintendo is saving those ports for the 3DS's successor.

And if the Switch's library suffers because of that, why should Nintendo care? Most of the consumers who are hardcore enough to care about the library got swept up by the hype and already bought the system at launch (or as close to launch as they could, with all the hardware shortages). They already have those people's money. And they know, deep down, that no matter how much they complain, those people will still dutifully line up to buy Nintendo's next thing at launch too, just like always. If they haven't learned by now that Nintendo machines never end up having an extensive library, they're probably never going to learn.

I think this might be the most cynical post I've ever seen in a Nintendo thread here. Bravo, sir.

It's been 6 months. It might be a little early to jump to those conclusions.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    That doesn't seem cynical or like jumping to conclusions to me.

I don't think Nintendo is going to just quit after the 3DS. I expect a nicer, newer, portable system after it capable of working with the Switch in some way, and I also don't think the Switch's library is ever going to be near the volume of the PS4/XBO, unless it becomes a home for mountains of shovel ware like the Wii.

• Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Again, I just genuinely think that Switch and 3DS are in entirely different layers of portability and therefore fulfill different needs. A Switch is nice to take on a trip for hotel stays, but it's far too much of a pain in the ass take it with me to university to play during the dead breaks that scheduling conflicts often cause, and I most certainly am not going to pack it in a backpack for a hike. So I'm more than happy to continue having a DS. From my own consumer perspective, all that making Metroid a Switch game would have accomplished is making it 20 euro more expensive (because ha ha releasing a home console game at less than the standard price, right) in exchange for better control ergonomics but much worse portability. And honestly, the ergonomics aren't THAT terrible that they merit the extra 20 euro to my eyes.

I went traveling this weekend, and I agree with you. This time I brought my old DS, and the size and clam shell form factor is just so nice for portability. Fits into my pocket, and I do not have to fiddle around with a case. Cheap enough to not be worried about forgetting it or having it stolen when I look away.

I would be very interested in a Nintendo classic version of GB/GBA/DS - there are so many good games there. Not sure if screen technology would make a portable classic console not economical viable though...

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »

Actually, Nintendo does that occasionally. I've paid less than the full retail price for several Wii U and Switch games.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

I thought word was that Nintendo consolidated their portable and home console teams into one big thing? Seems odd to do that if they're just going to continue splitting focus.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    It'll all depend on, what else, money. Are they raking in money for the 3DS still? Does it seem likely they'd do so from another truly portable? If yes, we're getting the 4DS.

I don't want portable games on Switch myself, I want portable-console games. If they can shrink down a Switch more or build a new portable equivalent to it that would work, but that's a pipe dream probably.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    It'll all depend on, what else, money. Are they raking in money for the 3DS still? Does it seem likely they'd do so from another truly portable? If yes, we're getting the 4DS.

A handheld not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous console whose boundaries are that of imagination.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    Dirty wrote: »

I think this might be the most cynical post I've ever seen in a Nintendo thread here. Bravo, sir.

It's been 6 months. It might be a little early to jump to those conclusions.

I heard similar comments in the early stages of the last four Nintendo consoles, including many from myself. People are always optimistic at the beginning.

It's really just the Sonic Cycle. It only took longer to notice because Nintendo doesn't release new hardware as often as Sega releases new Sonic games.

I thought word was that Nintendo consolidated their portable and home console teams into one big thing? Seems odd to do that if they're just going to continue splitting focus.

Nintendo's home console team was used to working with PowerPC architecture. But the Switch uses ARM architecture, like all of Nintendo's handhelds. The home console team needed a crash course in ARM, and the best way to accomplish that was to consolidate the two teams. There's nothing more to it than that.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I just think it's funny that when Nintendo said they were going to continue supporting the 3DS even in the wake of the Switch, everyone said "sure Nintendo, uh huh, totally believe you," expecting it to be dead immediately. Then when they demonstrate some support and keep it going a while we immediately jump to the OTHER extreme, Nintendo's going to not only support the 3DS but make some kind of 4DS and keep having two consoles.

If it's not instantly retired then it must be here forever!

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    The main reason I don't see us getting some 3DS successor outside of the Switch anytime soon is Pokemon. I would be surprised if they would be moving the primary Pokemon games over to the Switch if they were going to have some new handheld in the next two years or so.

Edit: Also, Overcooked is so much fun, highly recommend it if you have 3 or 4 people playing.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular

Spoken like someone that forgets a common point when it comes to brand loyalty.

Your advocates will eventually die (or less morose, just grow too old to care), leaving behind new generations you haven't won over because you spent too much time resting on your laurels.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I hate the Sonic Cycle mentality, too.

• Options
    The main reason I don't see us getting some 3DS successor outside of the Switch anytime soon is Pokemon. I would be surprised if they would be moving the primary Pokemon games over to the Switch if they were going to have some new handheld in the next two years or so.

Edit: Also, Overcooked is so much fun, highly recommend it if you have 3 or 4 people playing.

Why assume the primary Pokémon games are "moving" to Switch? I suspect the games made for Switch will be more open world, while the 3DS and its successor will continue to get the more linear, top down, isometric games that the series has become known for. Think of it like the difference between Breath of the Wild and A Link Between Worlds.

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Pretty much every Nintendo console I get has more games on it I want to play than the other consoles, including the Wii U. I've never felt like Nintendo consoles don't have an extensive library. But that's probably because I like Nintendo games! Other people like other games, so they might like an xbox, whereas to me they have pretty anemic lineups.

I'm not sure why people think Nintendo's success is built on a horde of unthinking drones who just buy their products regardless of quality, instead of just a difference of opinion.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    The Switch has an absurd line-up of first-party releases set for the first year alone. Look at this:
    • 1-2 Switch
    • Arms
    • Fire Emblem: Warriors
    • Flip Wars
    • Kirby: Star Allies
    • Legend of Zelda: BotW
    • MK8
    • Snipperclips (and Plus)
    • Splatoon 2
    • Super Mario Odyssey
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Yeah, some of those games are ports or smaller titles, but Nintendo is really pushing out quality content post-release. Never really had this kind of support in the past. Granted, a lot of these games were probably going to be late-release Wii U titles that got bumped to the Switch (a smart move).

The tricky part now is seeing if they can continue pushing out quality games at a descent clip. Things look promising, but this is Nintendo we're talking about. Fortunately, it looks like 3rd party support is actually becoming a thing and will help fill the gaps in first-party releases. Time will tell.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I just think it's funny that when Nintendo said they were going to continue supporting the 3DS even in the wake of the Switch, everyone said "sure Nintendo, uh huh, totally believe you," expecting it to be dead immediately. Then when they demonstrate some support and keep it going a while we immediately jump to the OTHER extreme, Nintendo's going to not only support the 3DS but make some kind of 4DS and keep having two consoles.

If it's not instantly retired then it must be here forever!

This is being done for the same reason Sony and MS support last gen hardware for ~18 months after launching new hardware. Starting from a market of dozens of millions to 0 is a great way to lose a ton of money in the short term. Nintendo doesn't usually do his because they've used a two pillar strategy. When the GBA came out, they didn't need to support the Gameboy anymore because they had the N64 as an established platform. When the GameCube came out, they didn't need to support the N64 because they had the GBA as an established platform. Etc. etc. Similarly, the 3DS is still being supported because it's currently the established platform.

Will they make a 3DS successor? I don't know. What I can tell you is that what's happening now isn't unusual, and that it probably won't change until sometime next year. Personally, I doubt it. I think the Switch is Nintendo transitioning to a one-pillar model. But I could be wrong.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Pretty much every Nintendo console I get has more games on it I want to play than the other consoles, including the Wii U. I've never felt like Nintendo consoles don't have an extensive library. But that's probably because I like Nintendo games! Other people like other games, so they might like an xbox, whereas to me they have pretty anemic lineups.

I'm not sure why people think Nintendo's success is built on a horde of unthinking drones who just buy their products regardless of quality, instead of just a difference of opinion.

This is so weird. I wish I knew what it was you were playing that was good. There's, like, two games I like to play on my Switch, and that's infrequently. Zelda was cool but it's done. I've got Disgaea and Has Been Heroes, which I enjoy both of (and which also are basically available in other forms.) Everything else I bought on the switch was a hearty meh.

Meanwhile, I've got no end of PC and Xbone games I want to play. If I could play some of the 3DS games on my Switch (monster hunter, monster hunter stories, etrian odyssey, metroid) I'd be playing the switch.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options

Why assume the primary Pokémon games are "moving" to Switch? I suspect the games made for Switch will be more open world, while the 3DS and its successor will continue to get the more linear, top down, isometric games that the series has become known for. Think of it like the difference between Breath of the Wild and A Link Between Worlds.

I feel like their announcement of the game in development and the way they talked about it so far ahead of time in the direct really hinted that the primary series was shifting. I could be wrong, but I don't think I'm alone in taking that direct as "Pokemon is going to the Switch for the primary games".

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

This is so weird. I wish I knew what it was you were playing that was good. There's, like, two games I like to play on my Switch, and that's infrequently. Zelda was cool but it's done. I've got Disgaea and Has Been Heroes, which I enjoy both of (and which also are basically available in other forms.) Everything else I bought on the switch was a hearty meh.

Meanwhile, I've got no end of PC and Xbone games I want to play. If I could play some of the 3DS games on my Switch (monster hunter, monster hunter stories, etrian odyssey, metroid) I'd be playing the switch.

I know... It's like people have different tastes or something!

But I also agree that I'd rather play 3DS games on my Switch. My 3DS is officially retired to me and sitting on my shelf next to my Gamecube/Wii/360/etc.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    My 3ds is more or less a paper weight to me now. My vision is such that even with glasses, I get a headache looking at a screen that small.

It's a quality system for sure, but I have no use for it.

My kids like it though so I keep it charged!

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Layers of Fear Legacy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCRAk4OtjyQ

• Psychedelic horror – A sense of insanity means each turn of the camera may completely change the look of your surroundings.
    • Victorian setting – Explore a game world inspired by masterpiece paintings, architecture and décor from the 19th century.
    • Original and classic art – Numerous pieces of original art and music flesh out the story and environment.
    • Story-focused exploration – Only through exploring the environment can you uncover the details of the painter’s dark and tragic past.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Isn't that a walking simulator? Like, a scary walking simulator.

• Options
    I hate that that's supposed to be a pejorative these days. Some of my best experiences in games have been spent in quiet exploration.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Myst and Riven would be classified as "walking simulators" these days, which means it's a useless pejorative as those will always sit at the top of my heart as some of the greatest gaming experiences ever composed.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular

I feel like their announcement of the game in development and the way they talked about it so far ahead of time in the direct really hinted that the primary series was shifting. I could be wrong, but I don't think I'm alone in taking that direct as "Pokemon is going to the Switch for the primary games".

Yeah

They had their stupid Direct where they announced Ultra Sun/Moon for 3DS, and Switch got...fucking Pokken

And then a few weeks later at E3 they were basically like "oh no, wait, Switch is getting an actual real Pokémon game at some point"

It felt like damage control

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I didn't intend it as a pejorative. I just wanted genre clarification.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular

Yeah

They had their stupid Direct where they announced Ultra Sun/Moon for 3DS, and Switch got...fucking Pokken

And then a few weeks later at E3 they were basically like "oh no, wait, Switch is getting an actual real Pokémon game at some point"

It felt like damage control

the CEO of the Pokemon company actually went on the record saying he didn't think that the Switch would sell well and they kind of got caught with their pants down on it.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Somehow, I find myself more interested in Pokken deluxe than in USUM. And I'm a coward who can't deal with competitive games or fighting games.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Figgy wrote: »

Spoken like someone that forgets a common point when it comes to brand loyalty.

Your advocates will eventually die (or less morose, just grow too old to care), leaving behind new generations you haven't won over because you spent too much time resting on your laurels.

Not to mention that comparing the sales figures for Wii, Wii U and Switch will tell you brand loyalty (and brand revulsion) is pretty darn weak in this biz. You can't expect people to automatically show up regardless.

Same with Xbox 360 and PS3 to Xbox One and PS4.

Same with the disintegration of the traditional handheld market. If there was a constant demand for dedicated handhelds the 3DS would have benefitted from Vita shooting itself in the foot, but instead the system kept missing expectations and the market shrunk to half of what it was.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    Somehow, I find myself more interested in Pokken deluxe than in USUM. And I'm a coward who can't deal with competitive games or fighting games.

Yeah, I'm not getting either of them but I'd choose Pokken over USUM. I can only binge so much Pokemon before it's really repetitive, and I didn't even finish my quest to collect them all, as usual. Not starting over again.

• Options
    We'll probably get USUM and do our annual competition between me and my son to see who can finish it first.

I really like the looks of Layers of Fear. The only thing I'm not a fan of is how few actual solid release dates we seem to be getting lately. I know with small indie titles timelines can fluctuate a lot, but some of us need to budget for things...

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular

The switch has been out for 6 months. I wasn't even really talking about switch in my statement yet, because I haven't picked up a ton of games for it because I need to finish my Wii U games. I still have Captain Toad, TMS, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101 to finish.

sig.gif
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular

Not to speak for SR, but I currently have:

BotW (finished, and waiting for the Champions DLC to come out)
    Puyo-Puyo Tetris
    Fast RMX
    Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack (had it on 3DS, but like it far more on the Switch because the Pro Controller is much better than the 3DS)
    Mighty Gunvolt Burst

I'm thinking about picking up Sonic Mania, and I pre-ordered Xenoblade Chronicles 2 when the Switch launched. For games I want:

Mario + Rabbids
    Super Mario Odyssey
    Kirby
    Yoshi
    Stardew Valley
    Golf Story
    Project: Octopath Traveler
    Dragon: Marked for Death
    WarGroove
    State of Mind

For the other platforms, I want:

Red Dead Redemption 2
    Horizion: Zero Dawn (haven't played it yet)
    The new Mordor game

That's it.

• Options
    Horizon is amazing and everyone should play it. Between owning a PS4 and a Switch and a decent PC I'm pretty well set on good games no matter where they show up. It's a great time to be video game enthusiast.

• Options
    Not sure about Horizon.

I've run out of steam in exploring Zelda shortly before the final dungeon. And that has the attention-holding advantage of being Zelda.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Horizon is my GOTY so far

Mario seems poised to knock it down but who knows

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    Not sure about Horizon.

I've run out of steam in exploring Zelda shortly before the final dungeon. And that has the attention-holding advantage of being Zelda.

I like them both but Horizon has a story that pulls you in and doesn't let you go.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Horizon is amazing and everyone should play it. Between owning a PS4 and a Switch and a decent PC I'm pretty well set on good games no matter where they show up. It's a great time to be video game enthusiast.

Yeah, generally speaking being Nintendo+PC gets me nearly every single game I ever want, but Horizon and Bloodborne are basically the exception to that. Horizon looks amazing and a half.

Steam ID: Right here.
This discussion has been closed.