As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Utah nurse arrested for refusing to illegally hand over patients blood to detective

NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
The gist is that during a police car chase, the suspect being chased by cops hits an innocent truck driver. Truck driver goes to the hospital. Police detective Jeff Payne goes to the hospital to collect victims blood. As the victim is unconscious AND Payne does not have a warrant, nurse Alex Wubbles says "Sorry, no, that's illegal." Det. Payne threatens to arrest her. He inexplicably follows through with said threat in fit of anger. While wearing an active bodycam. WaPo article below.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/09/01/this-is-crazy-sobs-utah-hospital-nurse-as-cop-roughs-her-up-arrests-her-for-doing-her-job/
By all accounts, the head nurse at the University of Utah Hospital's burn unit was professional and restrained when she told a Salt Lake City police detective he wasn't allowed to draw blood from a badly injured patient.

The detective didn't have a warrant, first off. And the patient wasn't conscious, so he couldn't give consent. Without that, the detective was barred from collecting blood samples — not just by hospital policy, but by basic constitutional law.

Still, Detective Jeff Payne insisted that he be let in to take the blood, saying the nurse would be arrested and charged if she refused.

Nurse Alex Wubbels politely stood her ground. She got her supervisor on the phone so Payne could hear the decision loud and clear. "Sir," said the supervisor, "you're making a huge mistake because you're threatening a nurse."

Payne snapped. He seized hold of the nurse, shoved her out of the building and cuffed her hands behind her back. A bewildered Wubbels screamed "help me" and "you're assaulting me" as the detective forced her into an unmarked car and accused her of interfering with an investigation.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Triple post please ignore.

Nobeard on
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Triple post please ignore.

Nobeard on
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Before I ask this question, I want to make it clear that I understand all the reasons it would be unwise to act on the answer. But I am curious about the legal aspect here.

If she herself, another coworker, or any of the other nearby officers had physically defended the nurse, would they be guilty of any criminal charges?

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Before I ask this question, I want to make it clear that I understand all the reasons it would be unwise to act on the answer. But I am curious about the legal aspect here.

If she herself, another coworker, or any of the other nearby officers had physically defended the nurse, would they be guilty of any criminal charges?

Technically yes but the charges would likely be dropped later.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited September 2017

Resisting arrest and/or interfering with a police officer (basically the same thing most places).

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »

Resisting arrest and/or interfering with a police officer (basically the same thing most places).

So it is, in fact, illegal to resist what you know to be an illegal arrest, then.

This country is fucked up. I guess I'm not surprised.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I am not a lawyer, but If one of the other officers had defended her I believe it would have defused the situation. Anyone else would have been arrested for talking back.

It's worth noting, it wasn't just the one officer. There were several, and they all backed up his illegal actions. The article states his lieutenant ordered the arrest.

So keep an eye out, they might try to throw the officer under the bus but there were multiple officers at fault here.

At the very least the department needs to improve its training, as this kind of thing has been clearly illegal for at least ten years.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Probably just be waved away as one bad apple.

Ignoring as always the last half of that saying.

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular

IANAL

I'm browsing through Utah state criminal code (Title 76). The specific section that seems like it could be construed to be relevant to this situation (unlawful detention) appears to be written in a way that it doesn't actually apply to arrests by LEOs.

Title 76 Chapter 5 Part 3 Section 304
    76-5-304. Unlawful detention and unlawful detention of a minor.
    (1) An actor commits unlawful detention if the actor intentionally or knowingly, without authority of law, and against the will of the victim, detains or restrains the victim under circumstances not constituting a violation of:

So it appears that if an actor has the authority of law they are assumed to be acting lawfully/in good faith. Which generally fits with how LEOs are treated in pretty much any state. I also cannot find any law similar to laws passed in some states the last few years that allows for a non LEO civilian to resist an unlawful arrest by a civilian LEO.

Title 76 Chapter 8 Part 3 Section 305
    Effective 5/9/2017
    76-8-305. Interference with peace officer.
    (1) A person is guilty of a class B misdemeanor if the person knows, or by the exercise of reasonable care should have known, that a peace officer is seeking to effect a lawful arrest or detention of that person or another person and interferes with the arrest or detention by:
    (a) use of force or any weapon;

So it looks like there probably isn't any lawful way for any bystander to interfere.

IANAL

• Options

So it is, in fact, illegal to resist what you know to be an illegal arrest, then.

Yes. It's SUPPOSED to be solved in the courts later. If the police decide to arrest you, you do not have the right to argue about it at that time. You have the right to be informed WHY you're being arrested, and if it's something spurious or malicious (and you can prove it), then you can seek redress in the courts, but otherwise, pretty much. An officer of the law must be obeyed during the time of the encounter. This is important in volatile situations, especially when there are many people, or there's potential for imminent danger. It's dangerous for everybody to escalate. This particular situation was not anywhere close to that and was a flagrant abuse of authority.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    I caught a bit of this on the news. The detective himself was a colossal dick, with one particular instance being the nurse declaring "You're hurting me!" and Payne yelling back "THEN WALK!"

Payne is still on active duty if I recall correctly and I saw a bit with an officer saying "Internal affairs is looking into it and seeing just exactly how this all happened." Which... I get it's a public statement, but it feels really dumb. Like, it's pretty obvious what happened; The officers on scene (and probably off scene) ignored law to illegally harass an innocent who was doing the right thing. The officers did so in a highly aggressive and confrontational manner because they did not feel like getting a warrant and were upset a "civilian" was not respecting their authority. Anyone involved with the decision should receive massive retraining at the least, but should probably be fired since they do not have the attitude nor respect of law required to be officers of the law.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Why would the cops want blood from the guy who got hit?

I cpuld understand the guy they were chasing, but not the victim

• Options
    Oh this keeps getting better: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/latest-arrested-salt-lake-nurse-accepts-chiefs-apology-49572069
    An Idaho police department is thanking a Utah nurse for stopping a Salt Lake City officer from obtaining a blood sample from one of their reserve officers who was unconscious in a hospital.

Police in the eastern Idaho town of Rigby said Friday that William Gray was severely injured in a Utah crash in July when the semi-truck he was driving for work was hit by another car.

Rigby police said in a statement they didn't know until Thursday that the nurse was arrested after refusing to allow blood to be drawn from Gray.

The department thanked the nurse, Alex Wubbels, and hospital "for standing firm" and protecting the Gray's rights.

It says he is still hospitalized.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular

It is illegal to resist an illegal arrest. However few prosecutors will pursue the charges, unless its particularly beyond the pale or the arrest is a gray area (in the prosecutor's opinion, which to be fair may not reflect reality).

I have read that a few versions of this law make an exception if the arrest is illegal and the suspect has good reason to believe the arrest is a threat on their life. Protip: if it really is, resisting will get you killed.

Law enforcement does this all the time. My wife as a nurse has encountered it, Child Protective Services are particularly bad she says. It's not unheard-of for hospitals to have a full time lawyer JUST for law enforcement or government agency oversteps on HIPPA matters.

Arresting hospital staff, though? I have never heard of that, but this officer just wrote that nurse and that hospital a very nice check, I think.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Why would the cops want blood from the guy who got hit?

I cpuld understand the guy they were chasing, but not the victim

Possibly hoping he was impaired or just an overzealous police response? Maybe the police chase was handled improperly and they wanted somehow to blame someone else for the accident.

These are just possible conjectures, it was most likely hotheaded alpha ramping up from an illegal request being refused.

• Options
    It sounds like they were trying to make sure the actual suspect who hit him wouldn't be able to claim that the truck driver was impaired.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

That's not fucked up, it's the only sensible way to handle the situation. Because determining whether the arrest is, in fact, illegal is not something you can do at the scene 100% of the time.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    It sounds like they were trying to make sure the actual suspect who hit him wouldn't be able to claim that the truck driver was impaired.

That would be an incredible claim, considering the suspect is dead.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    shryke wrote: »

That's not fucked up, it's the only sensible way to handle the situation. Because determining whether the arrest is, in fact, illegal is not something you can do at the scene 100% of the time.

You're right that it can't be determined 100% of the time. But if it is illegal, then what the officer is doing is assault, and you are legally not allowed to protect yourself from it. It should always be legal to defend yourself from assault. And if the arrest wasn't illegal and you defended yourself? Then, hey, an extra charge of resisting a lawful arrest for you.

If the officer is overstepping, and you know it for certain, you shouldn't be under any obligation to humor him to even the slightest degree. I'm not sure what it means to live in a free society, otherwise.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular

I'm pretty sure I've seen cases where resisting-arrest charges were thrown out because the underlying arrest was illegal

But I don't think this is a uniform or clearly settled rule in America

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    What the cop was there for was not time-sensitive. Evidence collection to build a case can take time.

Edit - And I point this out because sometimes police departments like to argue about immediacy of threat / danger, etc.

Henroid on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    What the cop was there for was not time-sensitive. Evidence collection to build a case can take time.

Edit - And I point this out because sometimes police departments like to argue about immediacy of threat / danger, etc.

That depends on what they wanted his blood for.

The video is horrifying. Dude just straight jackboots her for following the law. And clearly thinks he's in the right for doing so.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

You're right that it can't be determined 100% of the time. But if it is illegal, then what the officer is doing is assault, and you are legally not allowed to protect yourself from it. It should always be legal to defend yourself from assault. And if the arrest wasn't illegal and you defended yourself? Then, hey, an extra charge of resisting a lawful arrest for you.

If the officer is overstepping, and you know it for certain, you shouldn't be under any obligation to humor him to even the slightest degree. I'm not sure what it means to live in a free society, otherwise.

Because by default the police get the benefit of the doubt. Just because YOU know that you had nothing to do with the bar fight/riot/incident that started ten feet away from you doesn't mean that you should be "defending yourself" from what you know is a completely wrong arrest. You do not want people believing it's okay to fight against police because they know/believe they shouldn't be detained. That's only going to escalate things and make EVERY situation worse. It generally works pretty well so long as there aren't bad actors. This situation had a flagrantly bad actor.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »

That depends on what they wanted his blood for.

The video is horrifying. Dude just straight jackboots her for following the law. And clearly thinks he's in the right for doing so.

Especially since she's on speakerphone with her supervisor who is instructing her not to take the patient's blood. You can hear him say to the officer that he's making a mistake here just before the guy arrests her.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    If they want to test for substances, it is absolutely a time critical thing.

• Options
    Drug/alcohol tests can be time sensitive if that's what he was after.

• Options
    SicariiSicarii The Roose is Loose Registered User regular

Because by default the police get the benefit of the doubt. Just because YOU know that you had nothing to do with the bar fight/riot/incident that started ten feet away from you doesn't mean that you should be "defending yourself" from what you know is a completely wrong arrest. You do not want people believing it's okay to fight against police because they know/believe they shouldn't be detained. That's only going to escalate things and make EVERY situation worse. It generally works pretty well so long as there aren't bad actors. This situation had a flagrantly bad actor.

I agree with the technicality of the issue but we also live in a horrible fucked up society that commoditimizes mug shots. To the extent that getting arrested and booked on a phony charge can be life altering, it's understandable why people might resist.

gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    kedinik wrote: »

I'm pretty sure I've seen cases where resisting-arrest charges were thrown out because the underlying arrest was illegal

The only time I have ever heard of this is when for whatever reason the officer did not properly identify themselves as a police officer or there was reasonable confusion as to whether an actual law enforcement officer was making an arrest (plain clothes officer or midnight swat raids that didn't properly identify themselves, etc). Other that that, if you know it is a lawful law enforcement officer you are absolutely expected to go along with the arrest, and not going along with it can lead to resisting arrest or potentially assault on a police officer charges.

Edit: and in this case where the nurse was clearly in the right resisting would have hurt her chances at an otherwise clearcut lawsuit which she will inevitably win or get a settlement from.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    kedinik wrote: »

The only time I have ever heard of this is when for whatever reason the officer did not properly identify themselves as a police officer or there was reasonable confusion as to whether an actual law enforcement officer was making an arrest (plain clothes officer or midnight swat raids that didn't properly identify themselves, etc). Other that that, if you know it is a lawful law enforcement officer you are absolutely expected to go along with the arrest, and not going along with it can lead to resisting arrest or potentially assault on a police officer charges.

I'm about 95% sure that I've read something like the following in a few published opinions dismissing resisting-arrest charges: Surely you cannot be guilty of resisting arrest when there was no underlying probable cause to justify the arrest attempt.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular

Yeah but then you wake up a judge and get a warrant

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Except they wanted the victim's blood, why would you test that for substances when someone that was part of a pursuit hit said victim?

• Options
    DraculaDracula DARCUL DAS WAMPY Registered User regular
    wazilla wrote: »

And they specifically say in the recording that they have no probable cause to obtain a warrant, which means they have no reason to suspect the driver was intoxicated in any way.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Sicarii wrote: »

I agree with the technicality of the issue but we also live in a horrible fucked up society that commoditimizes mug shots. To the extent that getting arrested and booked on a phony charge can be life altering, it's understandable why people might resist.

Yeah. I completely agree. I swear John Oliver had a segment recently (but can't find it... maybe Sam Bee?) about how just being arrested at all will fuck up your life, and plenty of cops know it and will use that to vindictively punish people, and most are too poor or disenfranchised to be able to seek proper redress. The problem is bad police though, not a bad process.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options

Except they wanted the victim's blood, why would you test that for substances when someone that was part of a pursuit hit said victim?

Guys, this is a completely irrational thing on the officers part we all agree. I am not defending it. I was explaining why there was a possible time critical component.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    If the hospital gave even trivial protected health information to police without a warrent they would be opening themselves up to litigation and government fines. Something as invasive as drawing blood could even be opening them up to criminal liability for assault. That's absolutely time to get a warrant, and at many or most hospitals failure to properly obtain and document a warrant or court order from police would be grounds for her to lose her job or face disciplinary action.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular

Guys, this is a completely irrational thing on the officers part we all agree. I am not defending it. I was explaining why there was a possible time critical component.

All I'm saying is maybe it isn't irrational and we're dealing with a den of corrupt vampire cops

Psn:wazukki
  • Options

I know but I'm just saying, the hospital probably drew the guy's blood anyway and has results on record. Literally all this cop had to do was get proper, legal permission. Like, did he think he was going to CSI this case?

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

No part of this is a pliers and a phone book scenario. This cop is either lazy, overly authoritarian or ignorant of the law. Or mix the three however you like.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

I know but I'm just saying, the hospital probably drew the guy's blood anyway and has results on record. Literally all this cop had to do was get proper, legal permission. Like, did he think he was going to CSI this case?

Chain of custody means that doesn't work. But they had no reason to draw this guy's blood at all, so they wouldn't have been able to get that either.