As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marvel! Makes kids comic with Arms Company, forgets Iron Man's origin story.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Lizzy Caplan has been cast as the female lead in Gambit, no character name given.

A Channing Tatum/Lizzy Caplan heist movie directed by Gore Verbinski?

Gimme.

Oh right, they're still making a Gambit movie.

They claim.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    wolverine-teaser.jpg

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-wolverine-2018-return/
    Throughout the month, Logan will appear in “special after-credit scenes” found throughout some of Marvel’s “key” titles. The teaser panels will provide new information and clues as to the X-Man/Avenger’s current whereabouts and, as Marvel likes to say, “it’s all connected.”

His startling secret is the reason for wearing that dumb hat. He's bald.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Is it too much to hope for that those stupid Where is Wolverine things end up being a Where's Waldo-esque thing?

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Is it too much to hope for that those stupid Where is Wolverine things end up being a Where's Waldo-esque thing?

The segment was originally called Where is Badger in the original British version, but Marvel chose to localize it when they brought it over.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    They're calling it post-credits because of their pathetic ongoing attempt to make the not hugely successful comics like the unbelievably successful movies by pandering to the movie's creative style over their own comic style.

And it comes off as pretty desperate, of course, which is what they are really

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I don't, like, hate it. It's just a glorified back-up story.

But referring to it as after credits scenes and already calling him Wolverine instead of Logan when Laura is around rubs me the wrong way something fierce

Like he ain't wearing the costume! Just call him Logan!

The only successful legacy character Marvel has ever managed was one in which the original character carrying the name had already been dead for longer than most comic readers could read

Laura was never going to really be Wolverine

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    The incompetence of DC and Marvel being unable to make bank on comics with these billion dollar properties will always be the most astounding thing.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    The incompetence of DC and Marvel being unable to make bank on comics with these billion dollar properties will always be the most astounding thing.

Why do they continue to have a distribution deal with Diamond? It seems to me from a pure logistics/money standpoint, that's the big hurdle.

• Options
    My biggest guess is that moving to something like an actual publisher would result in some changes of who's in charge.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular

What would 'bank' look like here? I'm assuming you don't mean that any particular property could generate a billion dollars for them over a reasonable timespan.

• Options
    I mean the comics themselves selling at numbers that are above what used to be historical cancellation figures.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Why do they continue to have a distribution deal with Diamond? It seems to me from a pure logistics/money standpoint, that's the big hurdle.

Yeah. There are huge problems with how comics are distributed and marketed that go beyond any one company or editorial regime. Even having the big two publishers owned by two major entertainment companies hasn’t forced any change.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular

Ha, I just happen to be at that exact point in "Reinventing Comics" at the moment (picked it up a week or two ago). Keep in mind that it's nearly 20 years old at this point, but even then McCloud was already saying that the Direct Market, while working for a while, was now in dire need of changes. Digital distribution was not much of an option at this point (though it was starting out with things like keenspace and Crossgen's Comics on the Web) and McCloud doesn't have any fix all solution either at that point.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Frankly, they should be selling TPBs (and our anthology ideas) at every Disney store and Disney theme park store.

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    That would require Marvel to put a focus on *gasp* books that have more all ages appeal

And we all know those don't do really well when they get good writing teams behind them or anything

• Options
    Frankly, that fanart of Disney Princess Avengers should have set shit going merchwise

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Frankly, that fanart of Disney Princess Avengers should have set shit going merchwise

I'm pretty sure I know which way this is meant and I definitely want the other way.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I think a large part of the problem is that Marvel and DC expect the movies to work as advertisement for their comics. When in reality it only advertises more movies.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Bets on it being Bella Donna?

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I think a large part of the problem is that Marvel and DC expect the movies to work as advertisement for their comics. When in reality it only advertises more movies.

Apparently it works for some comics, but only if you have something sellable on the shelves when the movie hits and the public can recognise that is the product they are looking for, so movies based on single graphic novels/trades did have some effect (was an article from a couple of years ago, but can't find it anymore. It also depended pretty much on which comic shop owner you were asking. Sales of Watchmen, 300, Scott Pilgrim and so on, did go up when the movie came out).
    But if you as a movie watcher go to Avengers or Justice League and then go to a comic shop: which of the dozens of trades do you pick up? Usually none of them look anything like the movie they just watched and enjoyed. And the actual movie tie-in comics, specially made for this kind of thing, well.. they tend to suck.

Dizzy D on
    Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Hey, the first three episodes of Runaways are up on Hulu tomorrow, that kind of snuck up on me a little. Reviews have been pretty good so far, so I'm excited to check it out

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Season 5 trailer for Agents of SHIELD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLHygq6Mm-0

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Throughout the month, Logan will appear in “special after-credit scenes” found throughout some of Marvel’s “key” titles. The teaser panels will provide new information and clues as to the X-Man/Avenger’s current whereabouts and, as Marvel likes to say, “it’s all connected.”
    There's one way they can make this happen that I will applaud.

Are any of you reading the new Doom Patrol? In some issues (I don't think it's every one, but I could be wrong), they have a single page to catch up with Niles Caulder, and it's just him doing random and/or weird stuff unrelated to what's going on in the rest of the issue. Like this:
    Doom-Patrol-1-Page-18.jpg
    6f442476b3906a83b4ce7bb2f8b07c80--doom-patrol.jpg
    DPv6_002_008.jpg

That's what I want them to do with Wolverine. They don't even have to go too weird.

A page of him eating a Philly cheese steak.
    A page of him playing chess against an alligator.
    A page of him having an existential crisis in front of A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte.
    A page of him asleep under a tree.

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »

Are any of you reading the new Doom Patrol? In some issues (I don't think it's every one, but I could be wrong), they have a single page to catch up with Niles Caulder, and it's just him doing random and/or weird stuff unrelated to what's going on in the rest of the issue. Like this:
    DPv6_002_008.jpg

That's what I want them to do with Wolverine. They don't even have to go too weird.

A page of him having an existential crisis in front of A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte.

A page where he loses a drinking contest to Doop.

• Options
    oh hey, Hulu is showing me the first episode of Runaways right now

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    yeah that's what's dope about being west coast

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I liked that first episode

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    signed up for hulu and am watching Runaways

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »

DPv6_002_008.jpg

A page where he loses a drinking contest to Doop.
    I'd save that for an entire issue.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    9vsxiu3idzhc.jpg
    Cap is getting frozen again and waking up in a post apocalyptic future by a new squad of Howling Commandos

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Will he be in current team books still?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    I don't believe Steve was in any current team books before this?

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I don't believe Steve was in any current team books before this?

OK, didn’t know.

Not against this idea that’s for sure.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    It would be funny if the only reason he didn't get de-iced at aaalll for that story was because all the other heroes just forgot (or didn't care anymore :rotate:) about Captain America.

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • Options
    So is that basically how they sidestep Cap is a Nazi? "Oh, the year where Cap and the United States was Nazis coincidentally becomes lost to time!"

• Options
    So is that basically how they sidestep Cap is a Nazi? "Oh, the year where Cap and the United States was Nazis coincidentally becomes lost to time!"
    What?

No, this is set after Secret Empire

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    What?

Yeah, that's my point. Most books would have to acknowledge Secret Empire, but this way, they can kind of wipe it away.

• Options
    What?

Yeah, that's my point. Most books would have to acknowledge Secret Empire, but this way, they can kind of wipe it away.
    The first issue of the run was all about Cap post Secret Empire

Like I don't particularly like it, but they aren't shying away from it

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    rhvjuokg0z9e.jpg
    Oh christ I forgot they were doing this incredibly dumb thing

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.