As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Car insurance question

knitdanknitdan In ur baseKillin ur guysRegistered User regular
I added my stepdad's car to my insurance so I can drive it if I need to.

Everything went fine with my insurance company, but they suggested adding him to my insurance as a secondary driver.

There's no reason to do that, right? He's got his own insurance, and theres no scenario where he'd be driving my car.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
-Indiana Solo, runner of blades

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    It might lower your rates.

But I think liability coverage on your own policy covers you on other people's vehicles. (in almost every state)

You might want to double check that with the agent and save yourself some money.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    It's my understanding that allowing DOC is no longer a standard practice.

I appreciate the thought but for the distances I'd be driving I figured it's safer just to make sure I'm covered.

(Also I don't really have an agent, I do it all online through Progressive)

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    The best solution would probably be either for you to have the car on your policy and your stepdad listed as a secondary driver, or have you listed as a secondary on his policy (depending on who will be driving it more and which policy offers better coverage). The car itself doesn't really need to be listed on two separate policies when one could cover both of you and most likely for significantly cheaper than two separate policies.

Does Progressive have a way for you to speak with an agent or submit a question, or does your stepdad have an agent with his policy? This really is something you will want to speak with them about as they will be more familiar with the specific policy each of you have in place and who is covered when.

This article may be useful in explaining general auto policy coverage. It makes Bowen's point about liability coverage typically following the driver, but points out that a car available to you for regular use (which sounds like the case with your stepdad's car) usually being excluded from this type of transferable protection (meaning you would want to be listed as a secondary driver of the vehicle on his policy rather than trusting your own policy to cover you without the vehicle being listed).

Again, best advice is to speak with an agent if at all possible.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I think only 2-3 states don't use DOC on the liability coverage. You might live in one of those not sure!

But yeah you're right, might be better with the peace of mind, but if your stepdad has a good driving record and good credit score it might lower your rates substantially.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Ok, thanks everyone for your responses.

This can probably be closed.

• Options
    brainstorm21brainstorm21 Registered User new member
    Hello from 2019. I know that I write too late, but my friend had the same situation when he was learning driving with his father. His father had Motor Trade Insurance, and when he was stopped by cops, this insurance company did everything to escape the responsibility. I know the single thing, that this company really cares about its clients, and I really want to use their services when I will buy my own car...

This discussion has been closed.